Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not Excited about Free Agency/Can we all just relax? (merge)

Tombstone

I felt is was going to be kind of quite in the early free agent periods for Indy.  Teams are throwing some big money at these free agents and I didn't think Chris was having any of that even though we have a lot of cap money to work with.  It is still early and I'm so excited about next season just wanting to see us pickup someone that will have me saying yes!!!!! But I can say he knows this business a lot more than me  and me and playing arm chair GM is not going to make this team take it to the next level.  But, I can dream lol......   So I will just calm down an wait to see what takes place and be find with whom ever we add to this team.

Go Colts

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tombstone said:

I felt is was going to be kind of quite in the early free agent periods for Indy.  Teams are throwing some big money at these free agents and I didn't think Chris was having any of that even though we have a lot of cap money to work with.  It is still early and I'm so excited about next season just wanting to see us pickup someone that will have me saying yes!!!!! But I can say he knows this business a lot more than me  and me and playing arm chair GM is not going to make this team take it to the next level.  But, I can dream lol......   So I will just calm down an wait to see what takes place and be find with whom ever we add to this team.

Go Colts

Ill be fine with it as long as it will make this team better if not he fails.

• Like 1

Looking at the crazy money being thrown around I'm glad Ballard is holding off. And he might have offered a couple of these guys, just not enough. I expect the Colts to sign a couple B level free agents like the past two seasons and I'm okay with that when you consider signings like Ebron, Autry and Hunt.

• Like 4

FA is just paying maximum salary for minimum skills. Strong pass for me. You don't win championships with free agency. Although many many Colts fans still seem to think so. 

Theyd pay whatever needed to be paid just to sign someone just to say they signed someone.....fricken ridiculous 

14 hours ago, masters1 said:

Looking at the crazy money being thrown around I'm glad Ballard is holding off. And he might have offered a couple of these guys, just not enough. I expect the Colts to sign a couple B level free agents like the past two seasons and I'm okay with that when you consider signings like Ebron, Autry and Hunt.

We'll see what the market is after other teams blow huge sums on the first wave and the dust settles.

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Seems to  me there's a 'second wave' of free agency...

..after the first rush...the market gets set and agents get a little more realistic.

Also, folks get cut who could help.

This. Sometimes, you can even find a relative bargain.

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

What Masters1 called the 'B level'/ Those are good players, too.

Agreed.  The salary cap system prevents teams from having all stars at every position. Sometimes you just need a few 'good' players in some spots.

I'd like to think we are drafting/coaching/grooming our All Stars in house, and filling in some gaps with some good veteran players.

41 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

We'll see what the market is after other teams blow huge sums on the first wave and the dust settles.

This. Sometimes, you can even find a relative bargain.

Agreed.  The salary cap system prevents teams from having all stars at every position. Sometimes you just need a few 'good' players in some spots.

I'd like to think we are drafting/coaching/grooming our All Stars in house, and filling in some gaps with some good veteran players.

Exactly. Grow your own all stars through the draft and raise your overall median talent through FA. That’s the key for long term success and Chris knows it. Colts fans don’t have to look very far to see what doesn’t work ...( last regime)

• Like 1

Am I the only one that DOESN'T get excited about free agency?  It's really not that important...

This forum is a feeding frenzy right now.  Some of the posts I'm seeing are hysterical, as in funny to me, but also like some of you are in hysterics over a signing or non-signing...  :facepalm:

We're talking about other teams' castoffs.  They're available for a reason.  Why are they being valued so highly by some of you?  Some of ya'll need a snack and a nap.

0290c15c45a668ec58725da57953036dbb8bf697

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Some of those free agents were good players. Some were let go because the team couldn't afford to pay them. 

But we had $100 million. 

Everything has to line up don't forget.

What if a player doesn't want to be in the Midwest? Doesn't like cold winters? Is a West coast guy in general? Wants more then he's actually worth?

Nobody mentions those things as factors.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IinD said:

Everything has to line up don't forget.

What if a player doesn't want to be in the Midwest? Doesn't like cold winters? Is a West coast guy in general? Wants more then he's actually worth?

Nobody mentions those things as factors.

Yep. Ballard was clearly opening the check book but guys just didn’t want to come. We are going to have to draft and develop our own and hope Time doesnt run out on luck and TY.

16 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Some were let go because the team couldn't afford to pay them.

You saw what the Jags did to sign Foles, right?

A team can drop a number of average players to afford a good one.

If a team lets a good player walk, there's a good reason for it.

How is it not important? It's a giant pool of established NFL talent that is available to add for nothing but money...and you can go after anyone you want within your own financial constraints. 

I am not going to get up in arms over it not signing players...but I think we would all like to see the Colts add some talent overall. 

But I am still of the hope that Ballad has a couple of trades up his sleeve...involving late round picks.

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

The Patriots never make a big splash in free agency..... How many Superbowls have they won again?

They signed Revis and Gilmore. They aren't allergic to it.

But NE is really an outlier to most discussions. "Do what NE does" is just not a real strategy.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

How is it not important?

It's less important than the draft.  It's not nearly as important as the actual games.

Are the Colts playing in the Super Bowl today?

It seems like there is more traffic on this forum today than when the Colts were in an actual playoff game...  :(

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

The Patriots never make a big splash in free agency..... How many Superbowls have they won again?

Usually you are right but they did a couple years ago when they signed Stephen Gilmore and I think traded for a Saints WR.

But usually they don't make big splashes.

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It's less important than the draft.  It's not nearly as important as the actual games.

Are the Colts playing in the Super Bowl today?

It seems like there is more traffic on this forum today than when the Colts were in an actual playoff game...  :(

Well...to be fair...playoff games are emotional roller coasters. I can understand people doing their own thing during those.

But FA is all news-based...and this is a great resource for that information and discussion...so I can understand why there is so much traffic. Same thing will happen on draft day I think.

I agree that it's not as important as games or the draft...but I do think it has importance.

• Like 1

Every time I see one of these FAs sign a huge deal I can't help but be reminded of Albert Haynesworth. Instead of handing out big wads of cash to players who may or may not live up to the hype, I'd rather see that cap money roll over to pay some guys who have proven themselves as Colts.  Luck, TY, and Kelly are all going to have some big paydays coming up, and it won't be long before Hooker (hoping that he plays up to his pre-injury level), Nelson, Leonard and others will need to be signed to some new contracts that will keep them from ever hitting the open market. 

I know. I get it. Fans want to see big, splashy FA "scores", but those don't put points on the board or win championships if they don't fit the long-term strategy that Ballard has laid out for the team. 

Patience, Grasshopper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Care to let the class know how much guaranteed money the Pats gave those players, the length of their contracts, and when in the FA period the Pats signed them?

Not to be a jerk, I just don't have time to look up the details.

The notion that the Pats NEVER go after big name free agents is false. Their defensive philosophy relies on having a top tier shut down corner to take out the other teams best receiving option. 

All the contract stuff is too much for me to care about. Grown, (well) younger than me now) men making more money than I can imagine to play. And they'll get to switch jobs and location for more money than I can count. Its a whole different world that I don't really care about too much. So headlines are cool. But that's just it. "oh look where ____ is going to play"

Guys… let's all just calm down. We all know how Ballard was going to approach free agency. He has been more than crystal clear about it.

Just a year ago, this team was a dumpster fire. Bad coach, new GM, poor scheme, not much talent, injured QB.

We were a team that everyone expected to get 5-6 wins against bottom of the barrel teams. We didnt know if Luck would be back, we didnt know what an offensive line looked like.

Then we went to the playoffs. We didn't get there with any of Grigson's high profile free agent signings like Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Trent Cole or others that flamed out after a couple years and left the team in a worse position than they found it. We got there on the backs of two rookies who made all-pro honors. We did it after Ballard drafted a guard. A GUARD!?!? With his 1st round pick. We got there because Ballard took a flier on some no-name kid playing for South Carolina that had the right attitude and drive to be a Maniac on the field.

Gone are the days of mortgaging the future for a win-now attitude. Gone are the days of “winning free agency” and trying to buy a super bowl. Ballard is looking to create a team that is sustainable through multiple years, dare I say the genesis of a dynasty?

This big stink about Antionio Brown and Le'Veon Bell is nonsense. Both players have shown attitude problems when they don't get their way. What makes you think Indy will stop that kind of behavior? What happens in two years when one of them is unhappy and posts a tirade on Instagram about Indianapolis and chases off potential FA pickups because they bring our integrity and credibility into doubt? They've done it once, they'll do it again.

What does this mean for the Colts? A couple low profile FA pickups, a draft that calls Ballard into question for “reaching” or whatever other terminology the forum uses, another trip to the playoffs, a few all-pro players we grew here at home, and a division champion. The cycle will start again in February- and we will be that much closer to adding Lombardis in Indy. Let the man do his job.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Not to be a jerk, I just don't have time to look up the details.

The notion that the Pats NEVER go after big name free agents is false. Their defensive philosophy relies on having a top tier shut down corner to take out the other teams best receiving option. 

You have time to repeatedly post your opinion about the Colts in FA, but don't have a few minutes to google it first... ok.  :hat:

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

This is untrue, the Pats have made big spashes is free agency

Like @Flash7 pointed out, they make specific splashes in FA.  They get really good corners specific to their system.  And they don't overpay.  It's usually short-term rentals like Revis and Talib.

They don't go out and guarantee absurd amounts to safeties, WRs, and RBs, like some are wanting the Colts to do...

Can people just express their disagreement? Everyone is relaxed; fans just don't like Devin Funchess, and how could anyone blame them? He hasn't shown to be worth the money. 

There really is no arguing for this signing. It is over paying for mediocre talent. 

10 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

There really is no arguing for this signing. It is over paying for mediocre talent.

People said the same thing about Ebron.

And the point is that this is all premature complaining.

Why don't we wait to see the results on the field before passing judgement?  :thmup:

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

FA is just paying maximum salary for minimum skills. Strong pass for me. You don't win championships with free agency. Although many many Colts fans still seem to think so. 

Theyd pay whatever needed to be paid just to sign someone just to say they signed someone.....fricken ridiculous 

Most of the time you don't win titles just building through the draft obviously some here and our GM seems to have it in his head that you do and he is dreaming.

52 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

They signed Revis and Gilmore. They aren't allergic to it.

But NE is really an outlier to most discussions. "Do what NE does" is just not a real strategy.

Why not? I don't understand why you wouldn't want to mimic the most dominant franchise in professional sports over the last 2 decades. Maybe that's why they stay so dominant no one has been smart enough to emulate them.

• Like 1