Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not Excited about Free Agency/Can we all just relax? (merge)

Tombstone

Ballard has always said you build your foundation via the draft and then look to free agency to fill in any gaps to get you where you want to be.  We had a great draft last year and I expect another one this year.  He made some very smart FA signings last year and I expect he'll do the same next year.

Let's wait and pass judgment on this year's signings after we see them play in our system with our coaches.

• Like 2

The more I read the more I am glad Ballard is the GM not the forum members . The vast majority of these contracts so far are team and cap killers I for one am glad we didn't overspend on a group of rather dull FAs . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean if we were not interested in signing expensive players, There was a Safety Eric Weddle who could have fit right in, and prob didn't demand Landon Collins $ to do it. Rams signed Weddle to 2yr/$10.5M. I mean if we are gonna use $10 of the $100+ on the WR, You could have gotten 2 years from Weddle who isn't an unknown as well. 

42 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

People said the same thing about Ebron.

And the point is that this is all premature complaining.

Why don't we wait to see the results on the field before passing judgement?  :thmup:

It's not about the potential; he could be great. Based on this players history, and past one year WR deals the Colts have done that are similar to this one, there is no argument to consider this a great signing. 

And no one has to wait a year to say they don't like the signing. Lol. It just doesn't look good. 

1 minute ago, Tsarquise said:

It's not about the potential; he could be great. Based on this players history, and past one year WR deals the Colts have done that are similar to this one, there is no argument to consider this a great signing. 

And no one has to wait a year to say they don't like the signing. Lol. It just doesn't look good. 

But if he ends up going to the Pro Bowl like Ebron did, wouldn't that be a good argument that it was a great signing?

40 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Why not? I don't understand why you wouldn't want to mimic the most dominant franchise in professional sports over the last 2 decades. Maybe that's why they stay so dominant no one has been smart enough to emulate them.

Are we assuming that teams haven't tried? 12 personnel wasn't really a thing until Gronk and Hernandez were killing defenses. Shifty slot WRs are en vogue now.

But as much as I hate that team...their reign in the NFL is unprecedented. They want to run all over a team...they can. They want to shut down a top offense and hold them to 3 points...they can. They want to win a shootout against KC...they can. It's annoying.

I would love to be able to do what they do...but no team has been able to...and those teams are led by the other smartest people in the game. I just think it's far more realistic that the Colts have to do it their own way.

And I point out the OL differences because it's an area that the Colts obviously didn't emulate NE...and it have been successful for them. And they are praised for that approach...and nobody cares that that approach isn't how NE did it. I tend to think that standard should apply to other areas as well.

27 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

But if he ends up going to the Pro Bowl like Ebron did, wouldn't that be a good argument that it was a great signing?

After the fact, with hindsight, yes. 

As of NOW, the present moment, there is not much to be excited about. 

22 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Are we assuming that teams haven't tried? 12 personnel wasn't really a thing until Gronk and Hernandez were killing defenses. Shifty slot WRs are en vogue now.

But as much as I hate that team...their reign in the NFL is unprecedented. They want to run all over a team...they can. They want to shut down a top offense and hold them to 3 points...they can. They want to win a shootout against KC...they can. It's annoying.

I would love to be able to do what they do...but no team has been able to...and those teams are led by the other smartest people in the game. I just think it's far more realistic that the Colts have to do it their own way.

And I point out the OL differences because it's an area that the Colts obviously didn't emulate NE...and it have been successful for them. And they are praised for that approach...and nobody cares that that approach isn't how NE did it. I tend to think that standard should apply to other areas as well.

I agree that you can't build a team exactly like the Patriots, but I think that you can look at how they handle their business and do it similarly. The Patriots have a reputation for not overpaying for free agents and even letting guys leave when they still have good years left in them. Very rarely do they overpay for a player or keep a guy too long. I'm not saying we need to be the Indianapolis Patriots and run the same offense or defense but I do thing we can take a page from their playbook when it comes to our approach to free agency. I think Ballard is doing that now and that is going to allow us to keep Darius Leonard in 3 years, Quenton Nelson in 4 years, and other guys down the line.

2 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Any opinions formed before the product has even hit the field are premature and useless except for fans venting their frustration.

Just like after the Ebron signing last year.  This is very reminiscent of that.

I get it, I just don't agree with it.  :hat:

47 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Their games are rigged and they cheat.

While it is true they are cheaters there's no denying how good the coaching is. They do more with less than any other team in the NFL. A lot of people credit Tom Brady but I think any qb would look great in that system.

6 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Can people just express their disagreement? Everyone is relaxed; fans just don't like Devin Funchess, and how could anyone blame them? He hasn't shown to be worth the money. 

There really is no arguing for this signing. It is over paying for mediocre talent. 

Says you, not me...and I am a fan. I believe Krunk and I are both on the Funchess train. 

4 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

After the fact, with hindsight, yes. 

Curious, how much film of his have you watched? I have seen plenty to be excited about. He gets way in the freaking air and is excellent at catching the ball at it's highest point. Tough as nails after the catch, and almost always gains yards after the catch. Furthermore, he fits our WR group quite well. 

4 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I think Ballard is doing that now and that is going to allow us to keep Darius Leonard in 3 years, Quenton Nelson in 4 years, and other guys down the line.

cap space doesnt keep rolling over for that long

Did something happen to all the posts between this:

4 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

While it is true they are cheaters there's no denying how good the coaching is. They do more with less than any other team in the NFL. A lot of people credit Tom Brady but I think any qb would look great in that system.

and this:

49 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

<---this

There were like 3 hours worth of posts that just disappeared...  :scratch:

Colts fans...we get all excited for the first week of free agency.  When in reality we should be saving our energy until after the first week is done!

We will get some action guys...just not this week.  We may not get the household names but by the time the dust settles, our most important needs will have been addressed and our franchise will be fiscally sound cap wise.   Chris B is going to be here for awhile so may as well get used to his way of doing things. Makes the first week of free agency easier to get through. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 12:27 PM, ColtJ82 said:

I enjoy FA after the tampering period is over. I enjoy following the FA visits and the anticipation of the potential signing. Tampering period......miserable as a fan and on the forums. 

maybe miserable for you but not everyone else. The Colts are not going to be major players in the first wave of FA. You'd be happier if you excepted that.

Look at Tampa Bay they are out of money. Look how dysfunctional that team is. Daniel Snyder spent a lot of money to but look how far the Redskins have gotten. The Raiders have spent a lot of money look where they are. I prefer to have a genius making smart decisions instead of acting on impulse throwing lots of money at free agents. I'm trusting in Ballard

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

maybe miserable for you but not everyone else. The Colts are not going to be major players in the first wave of FA. You'd be happier if you excepted that.

Way to revive this old chestnut of a thread....  I get the not liking the tampering period.  It's a media frenzy of reports....  TONS of rumors of interest, etc..... then lots of agreed upon deals.... ALL before FA even starts.  

I think the OP was trying to say, the tampering period takes a lot of the fun out of FA, as the big fish, the fun, exciting names a lot of fans of football are excited to have the free agent surprise of seeing where they sign..... with the Tampering period, these guys are done deals before anything gets started....  it's like opening half your gifts on Christmas eve....  at least that's how I took his post....  Not that he was complaining about the Colts FA strategy....  did he even mention the Colts?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I not only accept it, I 100% support not being active in the first wave. I meant it's annoying on the forums because so many people lose their minds.

• Like 1