Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Romo - Yeah or Nay?

coltsfeva

I was talking to my son in law and he seems (like many), to like the way Romo “predicts” the upcoming play: watch the wr screen, it’s going to be a run up the middle”, etc.

For me, not so much. One poster put it this way;, “he’s like the uninvited drunk, who crashes the party”! I totally agree. Just too much talking and after a drop or bad pass, its “you’ve got to hold onto that one” or “he should have thrown that with a little more air”!

What say ye about Romo?

He's very, very difficult to listen to.

Sometimes he predicts plays..sometimes he is wrong.

..Sometimes he predicts more than one play

But the problem is: He just babbles...he keeps a stream of talk going by never finishing a sentence.

The best TV announcers use silence....to let the viewer get into the scene.

I love to hear the crowd and the QB calling signals. The sounds of the game.

Romo talks over all that.  

Its very hard to enjoy a game when he's doing it because he just doesn't shut up.

I end up eventually turning the sound down when hes on.  Every time

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In a very short window,  he went from the new buy to one of the best,  if not THE best.

In TV that's NOT an easy thing to do.

New Buy?      New BUY?!?      What the *%#!

How about New Guy!    New GUY!!!

Ugh!      I hate, Hate, HATE when I make typos!!        HATE THEM!!!       :facepalm:

Doh!!      :wall:       

I think Romo is an awesome commentator. He's calling plays because he watches the team's tape like a coach. More than I can say for 7/8 of the rest of the commentators. Dude knows his stuff, that's for certain.

A corpse would be better than Collinsworth, but Romo certainly is light years better than him. 

I'm not sure who is even as good as him now that I think about it. 

• Like 1

Love him.

The thing for me is not the fact that he predicts the plays, it's that he talks you through what he sees before the snap that means he can predict the plays. 

For example "Gronk out left one on one, if the safety doesn't sneak over to double cover, expect the ball to go there".  He is educating the viewer, not just showing off by saying what is going to happen.

• Like 5

The best thing to happen to football.
 And that is teams getting up to the line quicker. We were being inundated with stories about players families during the game. Producers trying to outdo each with their ability to put together human interest stories. Yes they were touching, but they went on throughout the game taking away analysis and replays so we could see what was actually happening within the plays.
 With a faster paced game, we are back to football and Romo is really sticking out.
This is what i want, more replays and great analysis. That is football on TV.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 4:31 PM, MacDee1975 said:

I couldn't care less if a guy can predict plays or not beforehand.

I don't get the love for Romo.  He's fine, but nowhere near the hype he seems to get.  He's like a 7/10.

See I don’t get the hate for him. You hate him because you can hear the passion in his voice for the game? That he talks to much? They all do at least he is adding something.. lol  

i cant stand hearing Troy Aikman announce a game he is just awful.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

See I don’t get the hate for him. You hate him because you can hear the passion in his voice for the game? That he talks to much? They all do at least he is adding something.. lol  

i cant stand hearing Troy Aikman announce a game he is just awful.

Where did I say I "hated" him or anything about the passion in his voice, or that he talks too much?  I said none of those things.

I said I don't care if he can predict plays beforehand, and I rated him a 7/10.  

On 3/11/2019 at 8:23 AM, DaveA1102 said:

Love him.

The thing for me is not the fact that he predicts the plays, it's that he talks you through what he sees before the snap that means he can predict the plays. 

For example "Gronk out left one on one, if the safety doesn't sneak over to double cover, expect the ball to go there".  He is educating the viewer, not just showing off by saying what is going to happen.

This

Gives the viewers a glimpse of what players and coaches are looking for when they watch film.  You can somewhat get a peek of what the "chess match" between coordinators looks like. 

Also shows IMO how hard Romo works at his job.  He doesn't just know this stuff, it shows that when he's not at the games he's watching film of the teams so he knows their tendencies.  

Best color analyst on TV.  

10 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

This

Gives the viewers a glimpse of what players and coaches are looking for when they watch film.  You can somewhat get a peek of what the "chess match" between coordinators looks like. 

Also shows IMO how hard Romo works at his job.  He doesn't just know this stuff, it shows that when he's not at the games he's watching film of the teams so he knows their tendencies.  

Best color analyst on TV.  

Indeed!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001014429/article/tony-romos-colleagues-laud-his-preparation-intellect

• 2 weeks later...