Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reaching the next Super Bowl....

NewColtsFan

I'm creating a new thread here to address an issue I see popping up on various threads all over this website.    It's on this page,  and on the draft, free agent page as well.    (Apologies this will be longish...)

And the issue is this....

That a good number of posters believe our time is NOW and that we are just a few pieces away from being a serious Super Bowl contender.    That's their belief.

In his end of the season media briefing, Ballard was asked if the success of the 18 season would accelerate his rebuild and would he start spending big on free agents...      and I'll paraphrase his answer (thanks, @Coffeedrinker)

He basically said,  no, he was not going to alter his plan.   That even though we had a hugely successful season,  he does NOT believe his locker room is ready for the infusion of Big Time, Highly Paid talent.   In other words,  no,  his rebuild is not complete and he's not changing his plan.   Ballard is saying he does not believe we are one or two pieces away from being a serious contender and the infusion of the wrong players could mess things up.

He hasn't literally said this,  but he has implied that the rebuild will be done AFTER this FA period and the upcoming draft.     That the 2020 season is our Ready for Prime Time moment.    Look,  not to state the obvious,  but Ballard isn't going to refuse the Lomardi trophy if we happen to win.   But he's not interested in a one shot deal.    He's interested in building a sustainable model that can have a good long window.    You can tell that by the moves he makes,  and the moves he refuses to make.

I'm not trying to drop a bucket of cold water on those who think this is the time....    I'm only reminding you of what Ballard himself has said...    and those two views do not match.

• Like 4

The colts are a good football team. It’s not surprising that with the resources the team has, that fans expect them to make the jump to a great football team rather quickly. But Ballard said it himself. The jump from good to great is the hardest. And the path to success isn’t linear. 

Lots of people need to remember that. Lots of colts fan think their team can win a sb next year. 

But so do Kansas City fans. And New England fans. And LAC fans. And Saints fans. And Cowboys fans. And Texans fans. And Rams fans. And so on and so forth. 

All those fan bases probably are going into next season with the belief that their team can win it all. Only one of em will. 

What I want from the colts is for them to build a team that consistently can compete with the best in the league. A team that will be looked at as one of those elites year in and year out.

If the colts flame out anywhere BEFORE the championship round next season, there will be people here talking about how the year was a failure. But we’re not trying to compete for a sb in 2019. We’re trying to compete for one in 2019, and 2020, and 2021, and 2022, and 2023 and so on and so forth.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

The colts are a good football team. It’s not surprising that with the resources the team has, that fans expect them to make the jump to a great football team rather quickly. But Ballard said it himself. The jump from good to great is the hardest. And the path to success isn’t linear. 

Lots of people need to remember that. Lots of colts fan think their team can win a sb next year. 

But so do Kansas City fans. And New England fans. And LAC fans. And Saints fans. And Cowboys fans. And Texans fans. And Rams fans. And so on and so forth. 

All those fan bases probably are going into next season with the belief that their team can win it all. Only one of em will. 

What I want from the colts is for them to build a team that consistently can compete with the best in the league. A team that will be looked at as one of those elites year in and year out.

If the colts flame out anywhere BEFORE the championship round next season, there will be people here talking about how the year was a failure. But we’re not trying to compete for a sb in 2019. We’re trying to compete for one in 2019, and 2020, and 2021, and 2022, and 2023 and so on and so forth.

Please know that if I could give this post of yours a THOUSAND likes, I surely would.    What a great post!

:colts:

• Thanks 1

One thing that stuck in my mind was Ballard's statement about this team is not 1 or 2 players away from being a championship team. He spoke of his core of players that consist of 10-12 players. Till he gets that core he will not be spending too much cap money on high dollar free agents. A pretty good chunk of that cap money is going to be needed to sign our own players next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He basically said,  no, he was not going to alter his plan.   That even though we had a hugely successful season,  he does NOT believe his locker room is ready for the infusion of Big Time, Highly Paid talent.   In other words,  no,  his rebuild is not complete and he's not changing his plan.   Ballard is saying he does not believe we are one or two pieces away from being a serious contender and the infusion of the wrong players could mess things up.

He hasn't literally said this,  but he has implied that the rebuild will be done AFTER this FA period and the upcoming draft.     That the 2020 season is our Ready for Prime Time moment. 

NCF, 

I highlighted two of your comments.  The first is not at all what he said, nor is it in context of the discussion he was having with 1070 the fan.  They were talking about troubled talents, could the locker room handle THAT.  It is misleading to suggest he would not consider "Big Time, Highly Paid talent" if they fit in with our team culture, he absolutely WOULD.  But he said he didn't think the locker room was yet strong enough to bear a negative influence.   Context is everything.  You separately mentioned "wrong players" but that would apply to anyone, high paid FA's, low paid FA's or even keeping guys on our team already who are "wrong."  

I also have never heard him say that any particular time is our "Ready for Prime Time Moment"  I think that one is all in your head.  He has a process, of course, he talks about it often.  And he and Frank believes that pathway leads to ultimate success.  No date/time frame has been given, at least not in that interview or any other I have heard.  (Anyone can find that interview on the 1070 YouTube channel, it is the second best Ballard interview after, in my opinion, the fantastic interview he did with Pat McAfee, and you can find that on his YouTube channel.  

If we have a draft anywhere near last year, and we go out and find guys we like for our team (and I believe we'll get anyone we truly want) there is no reason to think we wouldn't be primed to win it all now, certainly with a significantly superior team (already) than Luck drug to the AFC Championship game already.   Nothing ever assures anything, New England keeps winning with inferior teams (I think I know why, but I also know I would never be allowed to post it here for good reason, so I won't).  In the end, the best stocked team doesn't always win, and I would estimate that the most talented team loses more than it wins.  We'll be talented enough next year, and likely the year after.  I think we'll have the groceries to make a fantastic meal.  Now we need Frank to cook it and the team to eat it.  That's up to them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

NCF, 

I highlighted two of your comments.  The first is not at all what he said, nor is it in context of the discussion he was having with 1070 the fan.  They were talking about troubled talents, could the locker room handle THAT.  It is misleading to suggest he would not consider "Big Time, Highly Paid talent" if they fit in with our team culture, he absolutely WOULD.  But he said he didn't think the locker room was yet strong enough to bear a negative influence.   Context is everything.  You separately mentioned "wrong players" but that would apply to anyone, high paid FA's, low paid FA's or even keeping guys on our team already who are "wrong."  

I also have never heard him say that any particular time is our "Ready for Prime Time Moment"  I think that one is all in your head.  He has a process, of course, he talks about it often.  And he and Frank believes that pathway leads to ultimate success.  No date/time frame has been given, at least not in that interview or any other I have heard.  (Anyone can find that interview on the 1070 YouTube channel, it is the second best Ballard interview after, in my opinion, the fantastic interview he did with Pat McAfee, and you can find that on his YouTube channel.  

If we have a draft anywhere near last year, and we go out and find guys we like for our team (and I believe we'll get anyone we truly want) there is no reason to think we wouldn't be primed to win it all now, certainly with a significantly superior team (already) than Luck drug to the AFC Championship game already.   Nothing ever assures anything, New England keeps winning with inferior teams (I think I know why, but I also know I would never be allowed to post it here for good reason, so I won't).  In the end, the best stocked team doesn't always win, and I would estimate that the most talented team loses more than it wins.  We'll be talented enough next year, and likely the year after.  I think we'll have the groceries to make a fantastic meal.  Now we need Frank to cook it and the team to eat it.  That's up to them.  

Ballard did an interview with the website when he announced the trade with the Jets for three second round picks.   He said then that he was not opposed to spending on FA.   That his rebuilding plan was more a short term thing and not some permanent plan that ruled out free agency.   His implication to me was 2020.

As for spending on the right people as opposed to the wrong people — you are correct.   Ballard IS willing to spend big on FA.   He offered both Norwell and Jensen $10 mill plus a year ago.  So yes, he’s willing to spend.   I’ve already predicted that CB will try to spend roughly $10 mill plus on one or two FA this year.   So I agree with you.   My post was long and I was trying to condense some thoughts assuming the readers here would understand my meaning.   He’s not bringing in the wrong players.   Not signing Bell.   Not trading for Brown.  

Put it another way...  Ballard doesn’t believe we are one or two players away from a SB contender right now.

My comment about Ready for Prime time moment is my interpretation of a number of Ballard interviews.   Yes, he has not literally said that.   But since he has said that his rebuild isn’t over, and that the locker room is not ready yet to deal with a player that might be difficult in the locker room, then 2020 seems the most reasonable to me.   I think Ballard’s credibility would take a big hit if he's saying the same thing a year from now.  

Rebuild not over?  Locker room still not ready?   Even a year from now?  Seems unimaginable to me.   That’s how I interpreted Ballard to be signaling 2020.   By 2020 we will have had two more drafts..   two more FA periods, and I believe he will spend more liberally in 20. 

Doesn’t mean we won’t be good this year.   It means we may not be as close to a SB than some here might believe we are.

Sorry for any confusion.   My original post here had some spots that were poorly worded.  My bad.  Hope this clarifies.  

• Like 1

If he brings in 5 top FAs, I will be disappointed

In my book, the FAs are brought in fill the deep holes, so you arent having to reach in the draft

We ended the year with a pathetic pass rush

We ended the year with a need for an upgrade on the WR spot

These two areas are the "deep holes"

These two things (mostly, IMHO) will keep us from moving to that next level

Last year we brought in a number of mid-tier FAs, we supposedly swung and missed on at least 2 top tier FAs

We had some success, and filled some obvious holes

We are a better team, and are on the cusp of the SB level

There isnt anything wrong in trying to bring in 1  or 2 top tier FAs

and maybe a 2nd tier FA or two

If it isnt a crazy contract, and if the kid fits our culture

I would say that there IS a time element. There is ALWAYS a time element in everything in life. I am sure that while the Colts are patient with their young team, there is a sense of urgency to win, now, as well as the future

They have repeated the need to get better, every game. Individually and as a team.

That doesnt mean that you break the mold for what you want in a players, or that you take the WIN NOW, spend it all approach . 

The Jags and many others are proving that is the wrong way to go

There are a few FAs that I like, but I expect that it will be a short list in total

To me, if we did 

Williams or one of 2-3 others at WR

Collins, Boston, or Amos at SS

And 2nd teir DEs (maybe 1.5)

Ansah 

THEN go DL early and often in the draft, it might be enough to get us in the SB.... this year

There is a little bit of me that would like to bring in Moseley, as well, as I think he would be an upgrade over Walker, but I doubt that the Colts see this as a hole worthy to fill this offseason

It will be an interesting 8 weeks

This is a marathon, not a sprint.  Yes, Reich said win now mode, but I think that means we do all we can to be in a position to win each game, not necessarily win the Super Bowl now.

I fully expect us to contend for the AFC South title, which should be our first goal.  If we do that, then we're obviously in the playoffs, and anything can happen, as we've seen over the years.  But, if we lose in the playoffs this season, that's not a disaster, just a disappointment.

How we play and look in the playoffs will be a measurement of our progress.  As Ballard said, the step from good to great is the hardest, and that can't be measured by the result of one game.  The entire regular season and playoffs must be considered as a whole, I believe.

With that being said, I'd love to win the Super Bowl this year, but I'm not expecting it to happen.  However, it will within the next few seasons as we improve and build that solid core.

We got to the divisional round of the playoffs. Yes we are ready to win now. Luck and TY are almost 30. We can  waste time and not get the few pieces we need and never win a SB. Or we can go out and get those pieces. I don’t care how we get them. But we don’t have time to waste 3 or 4 years developing.  If we get those pieces through the draft and they contribute right away great. If it is through FA then great. I dont want to be sitting here in five years with a 35 year old Luck and still waiting on those pieces.

Lucks first six years in this league were wasted by a awful GM and coach. Despite that he went 11-5 his first three seasons. Then they tried to get him killed on the field. I can’t imagine how many SB luck would have if he had a Ballard as a GM. The guy is a freak and deserves every chance to win a SB.  We are only a couple pieces away from contending. If there are pieces to fill those holes you go out there and get them. I will be really disappointed in Ballard If he doesn’t try to fill those holes to make us a contender.  

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

We got to the divisional round of the playoffs. Yes we are ready to win now. Luck and TY are almost 30. We can  waste time and not get the few pieces we need and never win a SB. Or we can go out and get those pieces. I don’t care how we get them. But we don’t have time to waste 3 or 4 years developing.  If we get those pieces through the draft and they contribute right away great. If it is through FA then great. I dont want to be sitting here in five years with a 35 year old Luck and still waiting on those pieces.

To the bolded, say they go out and sign 5 top level free, that is then a guaranteed Super Bowl win?

• Like 1

Coaches and GMs say all sorts of conflicting things.  They don't have speech writers and are not trained public speakers.

Ballard also said if we have a chance to land a player in free agency who will put us over the top, we'll take it, even if we have a player at that position.

When he says over the top, I'm guessing he's not referring to a division title.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Oopty Oop said:

Who exactly is up for new contracts/extensions next year and how much money is a safe bet to be able to afford to re-sign our own come next season? I read alot of comments about needing alot of money next year and I'm curious who all that is. Thanks

Kelly, Ebron, cozstanzo and Doyle just off the top of my head.

You don’t spend money just because you have money.  Ask the mega-bucks winners and athletes that had $$$$$ in their pockets.  You need a plan and beware of the freeloaders!  Spend wisely, fills your needs wisely and prepare for the future.

If I had billions of billions of $$$$, would I buy a yacht   I may take a big time cruise but negative on buying a yacht.  Would I buy 10 cars?  Well maybe a ‘25 Bucket, a Vette as two toys but not 10!  

Again have a plan, be reasonable and also prepare/don’t disregard the future.  Think it was the late great George Allen said the future is now.  Yes but that was a different era.

12 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Who knows if they extend castanzo ebron and doyle 

I  think if Ebron has another great season he will be extended. He is young enough.   I could see them letting Doyle go. His age is a major factor. It will depend on how much of a impact he has next season. Castanzo could be up in the air. Especially if they draft his replacement this year or next. 

39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I  think if Ebron has another great season he will be extended. He is young enough.   I could see them letting Doyle go. His age is a major factor. It will depend on how much of a impact he has next season. Castanzo could be up in the air. Especially if they draft his replacement this year or next. 

Therefore we won't need a lot of money next year to sign our own.  Kelly's 5th. year option is also available. 

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Who knows if they extend castanzo ebron and doyle 

Castonzo is pretty much a must extension as of now. Might change if we draft an OT early this year or he falls off a cliff next year. I'd hope we keep at least one of Ebron/Doyle.

Next week (FA) we will be saying "Yay" or "Nay" to the Colts' chances in the coming season. Jags major eyesore remains their QB and Houston is their OL. Titans have a QB but how healthy? One way or another I know the Colts will grab a WR at minimum. 

6 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Next week (FA) we will be saying "Yay" or "Nay" to the Colts' chances in the coming season. Jags major eyesore remains their QB and Houston is their OL. Titans have a QB but how healthy? One way or another I know the Colts will grab a WR at minimum. 

Regardless of who they do or do not sign, I will not be saying either.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

If you remember Frank Reich’s comments to Ballard when he got here: Reich distinctly said he views this team as win now, not a rebuild. You can win now and in the future.

The point of the OP is that Ballard is not going to sacrifice the future in an effort to win in the present. He's not going to test the locker room with discontented players, no matter how good they are. And as he's said repeatedly, 'it's never about one player,' and 'you're never one player away.' 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Oopty Oop said:

Who exactly is up for new contracts/extensions next year and how much money is a safe bet to be able to afford to re-sign our own come next season? I read alot of comments about needing alot of money next year and I'm curious who all that is. Thanks

There are 25 Colts players on the roster right now who's contracts run out next season.

Castonzo, Sheard, Doyle, Ebron, Vinatieri, Brissett, Clark, Ridgeway, Haeg, Sanchez, Moore, Wright, Andrews, Ward, Williams, Phillips, Milligan, Cox, Thomas, Fountain, Moore, Holmes, Johnson, Travis and Collins.

There is the list.

• Like 1

If Kenny Moore has a season like this past season he is going to get paid very well. That is a lot of people who will need to get paid. 

Hilton’s contract will also need redone.

There is going to go be a lot of tough choices to be made after next season. 

We shouldn’t go crazy in FA, but adding a couple big names in spots we need  should help a ton. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Kenny Moore has a season like this past season he is going to get paid very well. That is a lot of people who will need to get paid. 

Hilton’s contract will also need redone.

There is going to go be a lot of tough choices to be made after next season. 

We shouldn’t go crazy in FA, but adding a couple big names in spots we need  should help a ton. 

With 25 players who's contracts run out next season that is almost half the roster.

I agree, there is going to be some tough choices to make.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

There are 25 Colts players on the roster right now who's contracts run out next season.

Castonzo, Sheard, Doyle, Ebron, Vinatieri, Brissett, Clark, Ridgeway, Haeg, Sanchez, Moore, Wright, Andrews, Ward, Williams, Phillips, Milligan, Cox, Thomas, Fountain, Moore, Holmes, Johnson, Travis and Collins.

There is the list.

Cant get a better answer than that. Thank you sir

• Thanks 1

We're on the right track. This roster needed an overhaul anyway.

Layer by later we're getting better.

No reason we can't win it all, every year injuries happen to big-time players and teams have down years.

Let's fast forward the schedule release, draft and training camp already :number1:..