Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Several Mock Drafts Has Colts Taking A WR With Their First Round Pick

Tombstone

Our offense features a lot of weapons and looks.  The tight ends are VERY involved, there are a lot of passes to the RBs, too.  I feel like Ballard will draft BPA and with the depth of defense in this draft, chances are that will be a DL, either interior or an edge rusher.  We can get a WR later...they don't need to be a #1 WR, just someone who can catch the ball consistently and take some pressure off T.Y.

Edelman is not a #1 WR, but he wreaks havoc on defenses because he CATCHES the ball.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ballard has proven to do EXACTLY what he says he will do

Point 1

1) When asked the question on an interview on 1070, he said the FANs want a WR

He immediately mentioned the pass rush.

Point 2

2) When he came on board, he said that he was going to "Build the Lines"

He picked a GUARD......., then ANOTHER Guard with the first 2 of 3 picks

He fixed the OL last year........  he needs to do the same this year for defense

Point 3

3) A quick review of the biggest need for this team, is not another WR (Though we can use one)

We had almost ZERO pass rush in the playoffs....  

An accurate passer with unlimited time have proven to eat this defense for lunch

Point 4

This is a deep DL draft....... Why spend early draft capital on a WR.  There are some VERY good WRs that will be available with our last 2nd pick

I truly believe that DL will be the pick at 26 

Awesome post! Amen brother! Strong lines make the rest of the players better.

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The only way they are taking a WR first is if they think that player can contribute right away and make a impact. This draft is very deep on defense.

To me, that's the way to go.

I think we need help on all 3 levels of defense

But it probably isn't overly significant which way we go in round one..

Our No. 2  wasnt bad last year

2 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Hope the Dline men doesn’t turn out to be Bjorn Werner. It could go both ways. When Werner was picked I think it was around 24th pick, Dorset was around 27th. Imo Grigson reached for Dorset. Not many had him graded as 1st round talent. What I’m trying to say is it all depends on who goes 25 picks before us. If 10 Dline are gone, do you really want to take maybe the 11th best? To early too tell but I’m with most, I hope one of those highly productive talented Dline men fall but if they don’t I’m ok with Ballard picking another position. Rather it be wr, safety, corner. 

Draft position does not always equal the quality of the player, just because 10 DL have gone wouldn't necessarily mean that we'd only have 11th best or worse available (some GMs suck at the draft, cough, Grigson, cough).  Even if it was true that there was only the 11th best DL on pure talent, that doesn't necessarily mean that (1) he could be of more value to us than some of the earlier picks due to scheme fit and (2) he may still be considered BPA or at least a value pick at that point.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

It's not that hard, most of the people who comment all of this stuff haven't taken the time to listen to what Ballard says. He's gonna build the lines, he built the Oline last year, so what does that leave? (Hint: There's only one line left.) He said they need a pass rush something awful, and guess where pass rush primarily comes from? Yeah, you guessed it. He's yet to draft a skill position guy prior to round 4, and all of the sudden he's gonna take the leap of faith and select one in the 1st? I've seen mocks with them going WR twice in the first 3 picks lol, someone's not paying attention. Unless the wideout is somehow a 3T in disguise, that's extremely improbable. 

Sit back, and watch the Dline picks rattle off. I'd be blown away if 2 out of the first 3 picks aren't along the defensive line. 

He specifically mentioned FA when he spoke about pass rushers. Depending on how that shakes out...the draft could open up. If they can get a legit DE in FA...then they have some flexibility.

But he also said that they needed a WR opposite TY that can win against man coverage and be a factor when TY is being focused on. Ballard also mentioned having a legit trio of WR1, WR2 and TE (mentioned KC as an example...and Sammy Watkins...who was a former top pick and big FA signing). 

I agree that pass rush is the priority...but he also spoke about WR in such a way that sounds like he is planning to invest in the position...which is something we have not heard him say thus far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

And the correct answer is... It would be AWESOME if he took his WR in rd one.
The guy would have a big catch radius, great hands, really good on 50/50 balls, and a good route runner. And a #1 type WR. A Home run.
 And it would mean CB hit a Grand Slam in FA. Wake Up Forum.  :wall:

Agree. I don't know why people act like early picks in the draft is the only route the Colts have.

A WR that early likely means that FA has yielded significant help at pass rusher (and Ballard mentioned FA when talking about getting a pass rusher).

And for him to draft a WR that early, we know it's going to be a top one that is likely in very high percentiles for the traits that he desires. 

• Like 2

If Doyel is healthy, we dont need a WR2 early in the draft: Look at how we used TE's this year.

We're going to take the most talented D-Line player available, be it interior or exterior. We'll take the next best interior/exterior with the soon to follow 2nd round pick.

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Point 1

Point 2

He fixed the OL last year........  he needs to do the same this year for defense

Point 3

3) A quick review of the biggest need for this team, is not another WR (Though we can use one)

An accurate passer with unlimited time have proven to eat this defense for lunch

Point 4

This is a deep DL draft....... Why spend early draft capital on a WR.  There are some VERY good WRs that will be available with our last 2nd pick

IF we are looking at what he said in that interview, he also alluded to having a WR opposite TY that is a true threat...giving them a legit WR1, WR2 and TE (like KC has).

I think that early 2nd round pick is much more likely to be ticketed for WR than the late 1st round pick...but I don't think it's out of the question that a certain WR could make him pull the trigger (depending on how the draft falls with DL players).

I also think the fact that they have another pick 8 spots after their 1st opens things up a bit. It's not like they have to wait an entire round before drafting again.

Ultimately, do I expect it? Probably not. Would I be disappointed? No...assuming it was a top guy.

If I am predicting what he will do...for some reason I think he moves off that spot (up or down...depending on how it falls).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Point 1

Point 2

Point 3

Point 4

You make a balanced, well-reasoned post.

But let me ask this, isn't it just as possible that Ballard's board will lead to a WR at pick # 26?

And doesn't your point # 4 lend itself to the very reason that maybe a WR could be the pick at # 26 because of how deep the d line is in this draft?

IMO, the best bang for the buck, and for the +/- points column, is a WR. 

Luck simply has to have a #2 WR that is better than the 99th WR stat wise (what we had last year). Not saying we need a guy that can come in and be top 25 day one, but we do need another go-to that is top 50 in yards. And that is doable with the right pick this year.

We absolutely need a rusher, no doubt. But our D did enough vs KC to win that game. Our O did not. I'd say that if anything, that loss showed us we needed an upgrade at WR, and also that the OL is still not a finished product.

1. WR

2. Rushing DE or DT

3. Best available CB/RB/OL

We have the draft picks and cap money to get everything we need. But WR and Rush DL are the two I'd prefer we draft early (long term cost benefit).

receiver is a big need, no reason to be mad about that

our last two first round picks were a guard and safety, i dont think positional value is a big factor

he  has gone bpa both times in the first round, so i think its misguided to try guess the position rather than the player.  safety wasnt nearly the biggest need when we took hooker

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

receiver is a big need, no reason to be mad about that

our last two first round picks were a guard and safety, i dont think positional value is a big factor

ballard has gone bpa both times in the first round

Good point. Despite having much earlier picks than #26...Ballard drafted two positons that typically are lesser valued (though I think both positions are going to get more love going forward).

So drafting a WR at #26 would not be a stretch at all.

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

You make a balanced, well-reasoned post.

But let me ask this, isn't it just as possible that Ballard's board will lead to a WR at pick # 26?

And doesn't your point # 4 lend itself to the very reason that maybe a WR could be the pick at # 26 because of how deep the d line is in this draft?

Of course anything is possible

Thats why I said that I TRULY BELIEVE he will go DL

Not a lock

This draft has been viewed as an extremely strong DL draft

I have  heard that this was an average WR class

I fully expect that BPA at 26 has an excellent chance to a DL........

Last year, I thought that we should go with Tremaine Edwards, or James

Ballard was saying BUILD the Lines!..........  He did what he said he was going to do

He built the OL

He is STILL talking about building the lines.........

My guess is...... he will complete his biggest stated tasks

My bet is that he will go FA AND DRAFT

The FA route sounds cool.....  but how many of the differnce makers are REALLY going to be there??

CASE 1 - We were a top passing offense without an additional WR.

CASE 2 - We were a PUTRID pass rushing team last year......... 

(the accurate QBs ate our lunch)

One seems like a clear bigger need to me

Again......  I may be wrong, I am not turning in my Colts hats, if they do go WR

But, if I am pulling the lever in a strong DL class, I am not letting BPA pass rusher DL out of my sights

We will see soon enough

While I wouldn't be upset with any pick, I think WR is going to be able to be had well into the 2nd and 3rd rounds due to the high number of defensive players chosen, and teams reaching for that coveted franchise QB. So, I'd rather they waited and got close to similar value later than burn the pick early. Talent that can get to the QB, and create elite pass rush will be gone early, so I'd rather they addressed it early. 

• Like 1

So much is going to happen between now and the draft, there are several possibilities.  Mock Drafts are there to keep us entertained between now and then...and it gives the media guys something to do, too.

I am confident that when we are on the clock, that Ballard and his staff will be fully prepared to pick a guy that's available, on our board and most likely the BPA.  You don't pass on a major talent in one position just to fill a need with a guy who may be the 10th best at his position.

Winning teams have depth at all positions, as much as possible.  You need to have a roster than can handle some injuries with back-up players who can step up.

We know Ballard knows what he's doing.  I realize it's fun to speculate, predict and guess; and that's what mock drafts provide for us this time of year.

If he drafts a WR, then I won't be mad, because I know it's because he's the right player at the right time.

6 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I have no idea why this concept is a challenge to understand for so many.

Folks like to expound on their knowledge of the team, how it works, and what they need. With the concept of BPA and not being privy to the teams big board and their line of thinking....it leaves fans with only a guess, which might make them look out of touch when the pick does happen. 

Of course if for instance, the picks before the Colts align in such a way that we do take a WR, those same folks will be convinced that they knew all along that they would take a WR, and it will further entrench their armchair GM'edness. 

19 hours ago, Tombstone said:

Will you be disappointed if this was the case and we go receiver in the first round.  He is aware that the Colts fan are looking for a number 2 Wide out and he did say in that interview the fans say that this is a need.  This is going to be interesting what happens but in Chris I trust

Disappointed?     I'll be HUGELY disappointed.    It would be the most un-Ballard like thing he's done since taking over.    The trend is away from first round receivers.    I'll be doing a thread on this soon.     Maybe this weekend?

Don't lose a minutes sleep over mock drafts.    Most have no idea what they're talking about.  I see one sharp poster calling them guesses!    Give that man a Cigar!   

Everyone and their mother does a mock draft these days.    They're internet click bait.   They're fun to read.    So everyone does them.

Field and Stream does a mock draft.     Car and Drive puts out a mock draft.      Heck, my mother, who died nearly 30 years ago, does a mock draft!    (But mom's are better than most!)

There are only a handful of mocks to play close attention to. 

There will be plenty of good information out there the next few months.    Don't get too worked up on the mocks.    That will only drive you crazy....   and for no good reason!

Stay Strong!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

So much is going to happen between now and the draft, there are several possibilities.  Mock Drafts are there to keep us entertained between now and then...and it gives the media guys something to do, too.

I am confident that when we are on the clock, that Ballard and his staff will be fully prepared to pick a guy that's available, on our board and most likely the BPA.  You don't pass on a major talent in one position just to fill a need with a guy who may be the 10th best at his position.

Winning teams have depth at all positions, as much as possible.  You need to have a roster than can handle some injuries with back-up players who can step up.

We know Ballard knows what he's doing.  I realize it's fun to speculate, predict and guess; and that's what mock drafts provide for us this time of year.

If he drafts a WR, then I won't be mad, because I know it's because he's the right player at the right time.

Very well said. 

• Like 1

Im not opposed to drafting any position in the 1st (save the obvious QB and K).  I would like a  player with relatively low injury history.  I know evryone gets knicked up in football and that past injury is not always a predictor of future injury, but repaired knee/back/mcl/acl/etc injuries in college seem to always reaggrivate at some point

• Like 1

Ballard will pick a starter in the 1st round.  I think everyone agrees with that. That was his logic with Braden Smith. He will pick a scheme fit and a good fit for the locker room.  If the top WR falls to us, he will pick him like he did Hooker.  Otherwise I think it’s a Dlineman cause that’s basically what he said he wants. 

Wouldn't be mad. That KC game left a very bad taste in my mouth. 

We need someone who can take the pressure off of Hilton........BADLY. A big body possession WR along with a refined pass rush puts us over the top in the AFC. I believe in Cain but he's coming off an injury so who knows how that will go. Inman makes clutch catches but he's not a difference maker. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Hope the Dline men doesn’t turn out to be Bjorn Werner. It could go both ways. When Werner was picked I think it was around 24th pick, Dorset was around 27th. Imo Grigson reached for Dorset. Not many had him graded as 1st round talent. What I’m trying to say is it all depends on who goes 25 picks before us. If 10 Dline are gone, do you really want to take maybe the 11th best? To early too tell but I’m with most, I hope one of those highly productive talented Dline men fall but if they don’t I’m ok with Ballard picking another position. Rather it be wr, safety, corner. 

We agree with that philosophy. I want a well graded dlineman but I don’t want to reach. At that point, if you have to reach, you take the BPA of our needs. We need DT, DE, C,S, WR and oline. That’s a pretty wide range of positions to get a BPA at 26 if all the really good Dlineman are all taken. 

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Ballard will pick a starter in the 1st round.  I think everyone agrees with that. That was his logic with Braden Smith. He will pick a scheme fit and a good fit for the locker room.  If the top WR falls to us, he will pick him like he did Hooker.  Otherwise I think it’s a Dlineman cause that’s basically what he said he wants. 

Agree. I’ll take a solid star starter at about any position with my first pick over a rotational guy that we hope developed into a star starter. Get a game changer at a position, any position, over potential. 

On 1/29/2019 at 8:51 PM, boo2202 said:

Disappointed about taking a WR with our 26th pick really? We don’t know how this draft will fall into place but a lot of Dline talent will be drafted before our pick. I don’t want another Lewis or Turay. I’d rather try and trade up and take one of the elites

This is what I've been thinking.  I know trading back worked really well last year, but this year it might be worth trading a couple picks to move up, maybe for a guy like Montez Sweat.  

As for the offense, I was thinking that it'll be nice for Inman to get a full training camp with a healthy Luck, & then realized heck, it'll be nice for the whole offense to get a full camp with a healthy Luck. 

• Like 1

Just a reminder the thought in 2001 when the Colts were in a similar spot was that they had to go defense, in particular cornerback.  Their first round pick? A WR named Reggie Wayne.  People freaked out because the Colts didn’t need another WR because they had Marvin and they passed on cornerbacks who end up out of the league in a couple of years.

My point is this, if there is a WR there Ballard likes he should grab him.  For the record i’d Say the samething if they like a defensive guy on the board.  Draft the guy they think will be the best player for them that fills a needs which on this team is pretty much anyone who isn’t a QB, tightend, or some form of a kicker.

16 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

our #2 WR was 99th in YPG.... 

just on average, we should have someone in the 33-64 range. 

we're way to top heavy. and Luck needs a good #2.

I agree, some of that came, because Inman didnt come up to speed until middle of the year

But........  we have 2 choices in round 2

There are some excellent WRs that should be available with either of these picks

I dont see excellent DEs in round two, I see good DEs....... this team NEEDS an excellent DE

9 hours ago, TonyBungee said:

This is what I've been thinking.  I know trading back worked really well last year, but this year it might be worth trading a couple picks to move up, maybe for a guy like Montez Sweat.  

As for the offense, I was thinking that it'll be nice for Inman to get a full training camp with a healthy Luck, & then realized heck, it'll be nice for the whole offense to get a full camp with a healthy Luck. 

Agreed

Inman should improve, as he he gets a camp with Luck

Cain will get a chance to shine (or not)

Jack Doyle will also be back

I WANT a WR.........  but its been proven, and I believe that the opposing QBs with accuracy, (AND ALL DAY to throw) will chew us up

Without a significant improvement in pass rush, we will exit the playoffs , in round one or two

Sending a CB on a blitz, seemed like the ONLY PR that we had by the end of the year. A good QB, will start recoginizing that "kludge" (quick fix) as they continue to see it on tape

A top passing attack with CURRENT recievers and TEs (6th in NFL)

VS

Bottom half in Sacks (19th in NFL)

The ability to move up from 6th, to 3rd, or 4th, in passing...is MUCH HARDER, than moving up from the Sack total to 15th or better

If we had an actual pass rusher that had to be game planned for, someone that commands a double team, the sacks and pressures from the rest of the line, should improve

We were also 18th in allowing 3rd down conversions. (Our defense needs to come off the field, PASS RUSH would seem to help this number)

We also gained these rankings against some VERY innacurate passers (In our division)  Jacksonville, Houston, Tennessee......   Then Miami, others

One seems SIGNIFICANTLY worse

One seems like it would have a bigger impact on this team

If they had a chance to move up to take an elite DE, I would also consider, 

One will probably slide

(Maybe giving up one of the second round picks)

Then WR in round 2......... 

I would add, again, SOME of the LOVE for individual WRs confuse me a bit

I watch the highlight tapes, and I see a tall WR that is ALWAYS fighting for the 50/50 ball.......  To me..... If I am wanting a WR, I want separation AND 50/50 ball catch......  If you cant get away from a COLLEGE CB, how in the world do you get away from a pro CB?????

Of course this isnt ALL of the candidates, but a few of the WRs mocked to us,

(and some on this board)

So.....

Best case pass rushing DE/DT in round ONE  

With the strength in DL in this draft..... I think BPA, will STILL yield DL 

2 cents....... maybe worth 1 cent

Deano

7 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Either at 26 or 34

That's what is going allow Ballard to do his magic.  I think he and his folks do a great job scouting and do a good job predicting who other teams will take. 

The Colts have a few positions of need.  If Ballard thinks the WR he wants will fall to 34, he won't take him at 26. 

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Disappointed?     I'll be HUGELY disappointed.    It would be the most un-Ballard like thing he's done since taking over.    The trend is away from first round receivers.    I'll be doing a thread on this soon.     Maybe this weekend?

Don't lose a minutes sleep over mock drafts.    Most have no idea what they're talking about.  I see one sharp poster calling them guesses!    Give that man a Cigar!   

Everyone and their mother does a mock draft these days.    They're internet click bait.   They're fun to read.    So everyone does them.

Field and Stream does a mock draft.     Car and Drive puts out a mock draft.      Heck, my mother, who died nearly 30 years ago, does a mock draft!    (But mom's are better than most!)

There are only a handful of mocks to play close attention to. 

There will be plenty of good information out there the next few months.    Don't get too worked up on the mocks.    That will only drive you crazy....   and for no good reason!

Stay Strong!!

Who did your mother take in round one ?

My Mom passed 6 years ago.......   :(

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree, some of that came, because Inman didnt come up to speed until middle of the year

But........  we have 2 choices in round 2

There are some excellent WRs that should be available with either of these picks

I dont see excellent DEs in round two, I see good DEs....... this team NEEDS an excellent DE

It's really going to depend on the drop offs of both positions. We have picks 26 and 34, and that's not far apart. There will be a huge run on DEs and DTs in the first round, so we have zero clue who will be there and the talent drop off. Not a huge run on WRs, but IMO fewer A1 guys to pick from, and bigger drop off from Tier 1 to Tier 2 guys. I think there's a strong possibility that there might be a T1 WR at 26 which I'd take over a T2 DL. If we're looking at T1 DL vs T2 WR, then go DL all day long with the 1st pick. In short, best available between the two, but all things equal, WR. It's gong to be interesting. 

I really think Ballard will pick the best player available (based on need) I really think we will go defense for picks 26 and 34. with this draft being so defensive minded, I would not be surprised if we packaged the 26 and 34 to draft higher but I don't get that vibe. I get the feeling we will take a receiver with on of the 3rd or 4th round picks

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

It's really going to depend on the drop offs of both positions. We have picks 26 and 34, and that's not far apart. There will be a huge run on DEs and DTs in the first round, so we have zero clue who will be there and the talent drop off. Not a huge run on WRs, but IMO fewer A1 guys to pick from, and bigger drop off from Tier 1 to Tier 2 guys. I think there's a strong possibility that there might be a T1 WR at 26 which I'd take over a T2 DL. If we're looking at T1 DL vs T2 WR, then go DL all day long with the 1st pick. In short, best available between the two, but all things equal, WR. It's gong to be interesting. 

If you would have an equally rated, pass rusher to a equally rated WR....... (If thats possible)

I would go DL based on the stated bigger need... AND the "build the lines FIRST" MANTRA from CB

In this draft their appears to be 8-9 Tier 1 DL

In this draft their appears to be 1-2 Tier 1 WR

If ALL of the Tier 1 DL is gone, I am going BPA of OT, Safety, or LB

I personally dont think a WR is warrented in round 1

There also some very decent WRs that would (should be) available in round 2 

Lil Jorden Humphreys

Hakeem Butler

Deebo Samuel

JJ Arcega

Riley Ridley

Marquise Brown

ANY of these 6 would step up our team at WR. 

There will be one or two of this group that MIGHT be there with our late 2nd rounder

• Like 1