Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Several Mock Drafts Has Colts Taking A WR With Their First Round Pick

Tombstone

Will you be disappointed if this was the case and we go receiver in the first round.  He is aware that the Colts fan are looking for a number 2 Wide out and he did say in that interview the fans say that this is a need.  This is going to be interesting what happens but in Chris I trust

• Like 1

I’m cool with us taking a WR, especially if it’s someone that will immediately contribute. I know Doyle is coming back, and so is Cain, but we’re honestly not sure how they’ll be able to contribute. 

I think it’ll all depend immediately on who’s available when we go. If it’s a stud WR or DT, I’m fine with either. 

In order to sell to the fans that taking a WR with your first rd pick, this player better be a projected #1 type player that gives you starting capabilities as the #2 guy day 1. Is there a wr or two in the draft that fits that criteria? Is there a Julio Jones, Beckham, or a DeAndre Hopkins type of guy in this draft? If so, I’d assume he would go before 26. 

Disappointed about taking a WR with our 26th pick really? We don’t know how this draft will fall into place but a lot of Dline talent will be drafted before our pick. I don’t want another Lewis or Turay. I’d rather try and trade up and take one of the elites. But if we stay at 26th and the top 1-2 WR are there, yea we should take them. Some have a short memory. But I can’t watch another year of dropped passes due to lack of wrs that can’t catch the ball. Can these guys be found in the 2nd round, sure but if brown or Metcalf are there just do it. Only way you don’t is if one of these elite Dline falls in the draft. Some have us taking tillery, imo that’s a reach. Wr is a need. Don’t have a short term memory.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In two drafts so far Ballard has not picked a skill positition player before the 4th round. It remains to be seen how he values WR's. I happen to think this is the year they invest an earlier pick in WR as the value will be there, but it absolutely would not shock me if they pass on skill players early again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

In order to sell to the fans that taking a WR with your first rd pick, this player better be a projected #1 type player that gives you starting capabilities as the #2 guy day 1. Is there a wr or two in the draft that fits that criteria? Is there a Julio Jones, Beckham, or a DeAndre Hopkins type of guy in this draft? If so, I’d assume he would go before 26. 

I don't know about that. The KC game is still fresh in people's mind.

And that's quite the standard for drafting a WR. Those are elite players. I highly doubt an Aaron Donald or Khalil Mack elite DL player will be there either.

I think people will be sold on just about any position after last draft. 

• Like 3

Disappointed? Not at all. Just depends on how the draft falls. This a pretty good WR group...and there are probably a few that could be worth a late 1st round pick. 

Plus, the Colts have the #26 and #34 picks. So it's not like if they take a WR there they can't still get a 1st round talent on the DL.

• Like 3

I don't think Ballard cares what most fans think. He said in his presser and his interview with Dakich he wanted pass rushing the most. 

Like I said in an earlier comment I think his first two or three picks he will be building on the core of players he was referring to.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think Ballard cares what most fans think. He said in his presser and his interview with Dakich he wanted pass rushing the most. 

Like I said in an earlier comment I think his first two or three picks he will be building on the core of players he was referring to.

And that’s fine if the value is there. But if it’s between the 10th best Dline men or their 1st ranked wr on the board, the pick should be obvious. When Turay was picked everyone was stumped. He drafted Basham and you see where that lead. I think hes going to have to move up to get his guy. If not the value is going to take us to wr,cb,s, etc.

• Like 2

I would prefer Defensive Line in the 1st round but I trust Ballard at this point after this last draft. He would really have to have a Draft where he stinks like Grigson's 2013 Draft before I doubt him again. I can see why a lot of people would be hesitant taking a WR in the 1st round because of the Dorsett pick. Remember Reggie Wayne went in the 1st round and pick 30 though. Who knows what Ballard may do?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would prefer Defensive Line in the 1st round but I trust Ballard at this point after this last draft. He would really have to have a Draft where he stinks like Grigson's 2013 Draft before I doubt him again. I can see why a lot of people would be hesitant taking a WR in the 1st round because of the Dorsett pick. Remember Reggie Wayne went in the 1st round and pick 30 though. Who knows what Ballard may do?

Exactly. I highly doubt Ballard himself knows what he will be dong at this point.

Him and his scouts will be putting his board together right up till draft time.

Most fans have opinions on what we need first but if his past tells us anything he don't look at things like most fans do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The only way they are taking a WR first is if they think that player can contribute right away and make a impact. This draft is very deep on defense.

Deep does not mean that you can just draft defense at any and every pick and get good value. Eventually the talent level starts to ween. Deep means you can quality players outside of the first round. It’s very possible that Ballard’s top rated defenders will be gone at pick 26. His highest graded player could be a WR. He’s not going to reach for a defender just because.

People in the board keep throwing the word “deep” around without proper understanding of what that means.

2 hours ago, Tombstone said:

Will you be disappointed if this was the case and we go receiver in the first round.  He is aware that the Colts fan are looking for a number 2 Wide out and he did say in that interview the fans say that this is a need.  This is going to be interesting what happens but in Chris I trust

2 hours ago, Tombstone said:

I would be Disappointed if it wasn't a WR. A talented wideout opposite of TY is sorely needed. But I want him to be a #1 type playmaking prospect.

3 hours ago, Tombstone said:

If we drafted a WR in the first round and he turned out to be the no2 behind Hilton, I would probably be disappointed. That wouldn't be BPA, and it's a position that could probably be filled similarly later. Unless Ballard can get a no1 WR that falls, I'd want D-Line or CB most likely. Also wouldn't mind if an O-Lineman fell from the first either.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree with Ballard our #1 need is pass rushers.  That can come from any position on the D-line or linebacker. From the end or up the middle makes no difference.

Just pay attention to what Ballard has been saying. You build championship teams from the trenches out. To win the big games you have to able to get stops by your defense.  That is what he is preaching and I am buying.

We have seen first hand at having a team that scores points without a defense that can't get stops.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I don't know about that. The KC game is still fresh in people's mind.

And that's quite the standard for drafting a WR. Those are elite players. I highly doubt an Aaron Donald or Khalil Mack elite DL player will be there either.

I think people will be sold on just about any position after last draft. 

Maybe, but I see more risk in grabbing a WR in a draft that is supposed to have some really solid defensive line guys in it. I should have added the statement of if we take a WR over a talented DL guy.... That’s the difference. If everyone before us takes up all the first round talent at the DL spots then I see a more positive reaction from the fans if they choose a WR. Still, the wr better pan out and not turn into a dorsett type player because his production too is fairly fresh in the fans minds. I’ll sleep regardless of who CB picks, I’ll certainly trust his evaluation practices over anything I could view. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If we drafted a WR in the first round and he turned out to be the no2 behind Hilton, I would probably be disappointed. That wouldn't be BPA, and it's a position that could probably be filled similarly later. Unless Ballard can get a no1 WR that falls, I'd want D-Line or CB most likely. Also wouldn't mind if an O-Lineman fell from the first either.

What receiver would you expect that comes out of most any draft that would immediately take over first receiver over an established bet like TY during his first year? If you can get a wr that is a solid #2 the first season with #1 future probability, you should be satisfied that your pick was very successful. That draft pick may very well overtake TY in his second year but TY would know all the routes and have the continuity formed with Luck whereas the draft pick has to learn the playbook, routes and form the reps with Luck. I can’t see one receiver in this draft and I’m not sure many draft picks ever have been able to come in and knock off a successful #1 already on the team. I’d call it successful if it’s a strong #2 but not for a #3 type guy with potential as a #2 if we took a WR. For the record, I’m not in favor of a WR with our 1st pick, I want Dline all the way in the first and at least 1 of the second round picks. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Two words,   Reggie Wayne.   

I would rather trade the 26th pick for a receiver than draft one. Maybe we can get a AJ Green or Adam Thielen. If not I would look for pass rusher or secondary help. Finally, if you look at both super bowl teams or even the 4 teams from the championship weekend, I believe there was only 2 first round drafted WRs; Phillip Dorset and Sammy Watkins. I would consider both of those guys busts. Basically you don't need 1st round WRs to be a contender, scheme is more important. Pass rusher would be my choice if Ballard gave me a vote.

It's not that hard, most of the people who comment all of this stuff haven't taken the time to listen to what Ballard says. He's gonna build the lines, he built the Oline last year, so what does that leave? (Hint: There's only one line left.) He said they need a pass rush something awful, and guess where pass rush primarily comes from? Yeah, you guessed it. He's yet to draft a skill position guy prior to round 4, and all of the sudden he's gonna take the leap of faith and select one in the 1st? I've seen mocks with them going WR twice in the first 3 picks lol, someone's not paying attention. Unless the wideout is somehow a 3T in disguise, that's extremely improbable. 

Sit back, and watch the Dline picks rattle off. I'd be blown away if 2 out of the first 3 picks aren't along the defensive line. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just pay attention to what Ballard has been saying. You build championship teams from the trenches out. To win the big games you have to able to get stops by your defense.  That is what he is preaching and I am buying.

We have seen first hand at having a team that scores points without a defense that can't get stops.

People aren't paying attention. These same people will trash talk the picks throughout the process, and then midseason when opposing QBs are eating turf, they'll be like "In Ballard we trust" and "Ballard nailed it, he's a genius". Whereas, if you'd just pay attention to what the guy's saying, the picks would come as no surprise, nor would the results. 

I'll be very surprised if Ballard drafts a WR in the 1st.

I'm never disappointed in any picks until they've had a chance to fail, though. 

We all get our draft crushes, but it means very little when you consider how much better Ballard is at this than any of us are or will ever be. It's still fun to think about, anyway.

6 hours ago, Tombstone said:

TY is nowhere near Marvin. I love the dude, but his production could be way better with help. WR is probably a top 3 need on this team.

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

It's not that hard, most of the people who comment all of this stuff haven't taken the time to listen to what Ballard says. He's gonna build the lines, he built the Oline last year, so what does that leave? (Hint: There's only one line left.) He said they need a pass rush something awful, and guess where pass rush primarily comes from? Yeah, you guessed it. He's yet to draft a skill position guy prior to round 4, and all of the sudden he's gonna take the leap of faith and select one in the 1st? I've seen mocks with them going WR twice in the first 3 picks lol, someone's not paying attention. Unless the wideout is somehow a 3T in disguise, that's extremely improbable. 

Sit back, and watch the Dline picks rattle off. I'd be blown away if 2 out of the first 3 picks aren't along the defensive line. 

Lol.  There’s only one line left.  1. Oline and 2. Dline?    Yaaaaayyy, I got it. 

7 hours ago, Tombstone said:

He also said he doesn't care what the fans think and is going to do whats best for the team.   So I don't expect our first to be a WR.  It will most likely be a DB, DT/DE/Rush LB.

Ballard has done everything but release in article called "I'm taking Dline talent to create a pass rush". He's literally spelled it out as clearly as he can for the fanbase without outright giving his draft blueprint to the other NFL teams. I could see them going wideout with our later pick in the 2nd, but even that 1st in the 2nd will likely go to Edge, DT, or CB, or S. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Barf, glad they don't run the colts. My man Ballard does who believes in build a team from the LINES out. Address the dline in a dline loaded draft. 

Ballard has proven to do EXACTLY what he says he will do

Point 1

1) When asked the question on an interview on 1070, he said the FANs want a WR

He immediately mentioned the pass rush.

Point 2

2) When he came on board, he said that he was going to "Build the Lines"

He picked a GUARD......., then ANOTHER Guard with the first 2 of 3 picks

He fixed the OL last year........  he needs to do the same this year for defense

Point 3

3) A quick review of the biggest need for this team, is not another WR (Though we can use one)

We had almost ZERO pass rush in the playoffs....  

An accurate passer with unlimited time have proven to eat this defense for lunch

Point 4

This is a deep DL draft....... Why spend early draft capital on a WR.  There are some VERY good WRs that will be available with our last 2nd pick

I truly believe that DL will be the pick at 26 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Maybe, but I see more risk in grabbing a WR in a draft that is supposed to have some really solid defensive line guys in it. I should have added the statement of if we take a WR over a talented DL guy.... That’s the difference. If everyone before us takes up all the first round talent at the DL spots then I see a more positive reaction from the fans if they choose a WR. Still, the wr better pan out and not turn into a dorsett type player because his production too is fairly fresh in the fans minds. I’ll sleep regardless of who CB picks, I’ll certainly trust his evaluation practices over anything I could view. 

Hope the Dline men doesn’t turn out to be Bjorn Werner. It could go both ways. When Werner was picked I think it was around 24th pick, Dorset was around 27th. Imo Grigson reached for Dorset. Not many had him graded as 1st round talent. What I’m trying to say is it all depends on who goes 25 picks before us. If 10 Dline are gone, do you really want to take maybe the 11th best? To early too tell but I’m with most, I hope one of those highly productive talented Dline men fall but if they don’t I’m ok with Ballard picking another position. Rather it be wr, safety, corner. 

11 hours ago, Tombstone said:

I wouldn't be disappointed depending on who else in on the board and who is taken.  The WR depth in this draft isn't much better than the QB class. 

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I wouldn't be disappointed depending on who else in on the board and who is taken.  The WR depth in this draft isn't much better than the QB class. 

I love the WR's in this class from round 2 on as long as we don't take one in Round 1. I'd rather go defensive line or corner with the 26th pick personally. There are so many nice WR's that can be had in round 2 on. Harmon, Metcalf, Samuel, Browns, Sills early on. Plenty of late ones as well like Renfrow and Jennings. We won't have any trouble with WR's in this draft. It's very generous. 

• Like 2

Mock drafts are literally just guesses. I wouldn't worry about anything. It's so freaking early that literally people rise and drop like a log every year after the combine. The only thing that matters is draft day and how players fall. Whoever the best player is there when the Colts are on the clock, is who the Colts will pick. Minus QB or P/K of course.

• Like 1

Draft to the strength of the draft. This year it is a very very good d-line class and a WR class. In fact it may be full of some of the best WR prospects I've seen. Several prototype #1 receivers with production to go with their hype. I wouldn't count it out and I wouldn't be mad about it.