Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article about Jacoby's future

csmopar

To be fair it basically says exactly what you would expect from an ambitious young QB.

He wants to be a starter in this league but he is happy where he is for now but he can't help looking into his future and hoping to be a starter one day.

I for one hope he gets a starting gig somewhere once we find a young, reliable backup.  Jacoby deserves his shot and he won't get it here while Luck is around and healthy.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

I'm excited to see his career, considering whenever I trade him in Madden 19 he wins the MVP

Madden aside, I think id Jacoby wasn't beat up so much last year behind that crappy line, we'd won 3-4 more games.   I think he's as good QB, better than Bortles or Flacco but a step behind Luck, Mahomes etc. 

I know I said in my initial post that I didn't see Ballard trading him, but after reading on this yrs QB class in the draft and FA, I think the odds went up a bit. 

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

as Ballard said...it'll take a hell of an offer AND the right situation for Brissett too.  I wonder if they'd run it by Jacoby first and see what he thinks? 

I could see them doing just that

3 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

What do you get for him in return?

hyopthetically speaking, there's really only 2 teams desperately needing QBs in the top 15.  The Giants and the Jags.  If they Giants were to offer us their 2nd this year and their 2nd next year, I'd take that in a heart beat

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

as Ballard said...it'll take a hell of an offer AND the right situation for Brissett too.  I wonder if they'd run it by Jacoby first and see what he thinks? 

Football is a business. No GM would turn down a 2nd or 3rd Rd pick for a backup on the final year of their contract, unless that player is the eventual successor and they plan to resign them. 

If Brissett isn’t traded during the draft, it’s because no team was willing to part ways with Ballard’s asking price. If, a 2nd is offered for Brissett, he going to a new team.

Quite a few folks thinks Brissett is worth a 2nd, we’ll know soon enough.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, MPStack said:

i think he is worth that in a vacuum, but there may not be much demand this year

we dont want to trade him to jacksonville, and they are the ones with the most immediate need.  giants maybe, but they are the first team in need of a qb in the draft.   dolphins are a possibility, but they have other options.  same with the redskins 

18 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

How about trading first round picks with the giants and throwing in Jacoby. We could get a highly rated DE orDL in the first then.

that looks fair going by chart value if you assume JB is worth a mid second or so

one  problem is they would have to pay him soon, when they could just use their own pick on a qb and not worry about the contract for 5 years

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

hyopthetically speaking, there's really only 2 teams desperately needing QBs in the top 15.  The Giants and the Jags.  If they Giants were to offer us their 2nd this year and their 2nd next year, I'd take that in a heart beat

Well of course you would take it but that is not reality.  Nobody is offering two seconds for Brissett.  The Jimmy G trade last year is a good barometer and that was just a single 2nd round pick.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Football is a business. No GM would turn down a 2nd or 3rd Rd pick for a backup on the final year of their contract, unless that player is the eventual successor and they plan to resign them. 

If Brissett isn’t traded during the draft, it’s because no team was willing to part ways with Ballard’s asking price. If, a 2nd is offered for Brissett, he going to a new team.

Exactly. Everything that is being said is more or less for optics...and posturing. And when Brissett is eventually traded, Ballard and he might even say they sat down and discussed it and decided it was the right fit. Again, it's great optics.

But I think the reality is that Ballard is taking the best deal he can get (which would be a team that will let Brissett start...which is what he means by best situation). And I would imagine Brissett would be fine with any team that is going to give him a chance to start next season (in his contract year no less). 

46 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Well of course you would take it but that is not reality.  Nobody is offering two seconds for Brissett.  The Jimmy G trade last year is a good barometer and that was just a single 2nd round pick.

Oh I know. But short of that, I wouldnt.  That was my intended point

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Isn't that the goal of every player that isn't a starter? Can't blame him.

I think he'll be good wherever he goes. 

No I think some just accept the backup job.  Either they reach an age where they want to draw the checks without the beating or they realize that they just don't have the talent to be someone's starter.  

Matt Hassellbeck is a good example of the first.  He could have signed on with QB needy a team where he had a good chance of winning the starting job.  Instead he took the job with the Colts AFTER Luck had already shown his rookie year that he wasn't a bust.  

No shame in it I think but Hassellbeck had just reached the age where he wanted to draw checks as a backup for a few more years.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

No I think some just accept the backup job.  Either they reach an age where they want to draw the checks without the beating or they realize that they just don't have the talent to be someone's starter.  

Matt Hassellbeck is a good example of the first.  He could have signed on with QB needy a team where he had a good chance of winning the starting job.  Instead he took the job with the Colts AFTER Luck had already shown his rookie year that he wasn't a bust.  

No shame in it I think but Hassellbeck had just reached the age where he wanted to draw checks as a backup for a few more years.  

Some people like to teach as well. And they enjoy the comraderie of being on a team. 

Of course you still have to be prepared to play good football if your name is called.

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

If there were easily available insurance policies of equal ability out there, then Brisset would have no trade value. 

I never said the new back up would be of equal ability, and I doubt that he would be.

What I am saying is I'd be fine with a lesser back up, while giving ourselves the opportunity get a player or pick to improve what we put on the field on a weekly basis.

I'd rather cash it in when it has some value. At this time next year, it has no value, and I believe the longer we wait, the more the value will go down.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MPStack said:

I agree. If we are offered a 2nd by someone, it won’t matter if it’s a good fit for Jacoby or not, it is a match for this team and that’s who you worry about. A 2nd round offer = trade. 

• Like 1

JB was a third round draft pick for the Pats. 

The Colts traded a young (2 year) 1st round (29th) WR pick for JB.

Dorsett IIRC has two post season TDs for NE so far this year....

I'd take the following:

-A second round pick

-A quality WR, CB, DL, OL, or RB

-A third round plus so-so backup QB to replace JB

Stockpiling draft picks like Belichick!

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

Madden aside, I think id Jacoby wasn't beat up so much last year behind that crappy line, we'd won 3-4 more games.   I think he's as good QB, better than Bortles or Flacco but a step behind Luck, Mahomes etc. 

I know I said in my initial post that I didn't see Ballard trading him, but after reading on this yrs QB class in the draft and FA, I think the odds went up a bit. 

I could see them doing just that

A step behind???

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

You think Brissett could veto any trade, if he wanted too? :funny:

3 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

My mistake. 5 yards then 

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Why are you throwing around arbitrary measurements?

"A step behind" is a figure of speech.

:scratch:

I'd answer that but I'll get in trouble by the mods...

4 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

My mistake. 5 yards then 

you're completely misses the point. :realitycheck:

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I'd answer that but I'll get in trouble by the mods...

you're completely misses the point. :realitycheck:

I’m not missing the point at all.  He is a long way from Andrew Luck.   Not close.  So yes much much more than a step behind.   Russel Wilson. Dak Prescott Jimmy G Watson. Foles are a step behind.    Jacoby is a back up QB   So no he’s not a step behind he is MANY steps behind 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

I’m not missing the point at all.  He is a long way from Andrew Luck.   Not close.  So yes much much more than a step behind.   Russel Wilson. Dak Prescott Jimmy G Watson. Foles are a step behind.    Jacoby is a back up QB   So no he’s not a step behind he is MANY steps behind 

Jacoby is an unknown. He played behind a line that got Luck put on IR so lets not pretend you know more than anyone else.

22 hours ago, MPStack said:

You think Brissett could veto any trade, if he wanted too? :funny:

its not unheard of.  veto is a strong word, but teams have  asked  players for input at times.  it happened with nick foles before the season 

also would a team really want to bring in a QB that doesnt want to be there ?  its kind of important that hes on board with it.  i dont think he would turn down a chance to start though, unless it was a total dumpster fire

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Jacoby is an unknown. He played behind a line that got Luck put on IR so lets not pretend you know more than anyone else.

With that line of thought.  All back ups are only “a step” behind one of the elite QBs in the league

and Ummmm... I’m pretty sure you’re the one that thinks he know more than anyone else

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

With that line of thought.  All back ups are only “a step” behind one of the elite QBs in the league

and Ummmm... I’m pretty sure you’re the one that thinks he know more than anyone else

Not hardly.

Jacoby played pretty good for a QB that was hit and sacked more than any QB in the league last season. There was a reason Ballard traded for him and I will trust his judgment over yours and mine every day of the week.

On 1/24/2019 at 2:06 PM, jskinnz said:

But Jimmy G got traded at the deadline, on the last year of his contract, so his value was a little less. Plus, wasn't there a whole thing about how the Pats could have traded him to Cleveland but decided to ship him off to SF for less?

Teddy Bridewater copped the Jets a third from New Orleans, who had him as a backup, and at the time, he hadn't started a regular season football game since 2015. 

I'm not saying Jacoby can get us two 2's, or a one, or heck even a third. But if you play the market right, somebody is going to want a QB. And it's not just teams that need starters. Like @Boiler_Colt said Carolina has Cam coming off shoulder surgery. Maybe they want the insurance? Or maybe Pittsburgh or LAC with their aging QBs falls in love with his talent and are willing to drop a good pick for him. Maybe a team loses its QB in training camp and wants Jacoby if they think he gives them a shot to compete (like the Vikings trading for Bradford a few years back). We'll see.

I for one don't think he's going to get traded at all for anything above a 3, but wouldn't be surprised if he does. 

• Thanks 1