Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My keys to beating the Chiefs

CR91

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they are going to write a article like this there also needs to be one on how the chiefs are going to stop the colts.

Everyone makes it seem like the Colts offense is a run offense with a game manager at QB lol. 

Luck threw 39 TD's, second in the NFL, and it could have been more if game flow called for it.  E.g. Dallas.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Waylon said:

8 10 yard passes to Kelce and a TD is the same result. 

And it tires our defense out significantly more. 

Which makes us even more likely to see that 80 yards TD to Hill later in the game. 

Thing is, Mahomes is NOT patient.  He'll throw to Kelce,..but he WILL take his shots downfield whether or not his receiver is covered,..even double or tripled.  The Rams game shows that.  Make him be methodical,...because he won't do it and try anyhow.  Which leads to turnovers.

14 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Thing is, Mahomes is NOT patient.  He'll throw to Kelce,..but he WILL take his shots downfield whether or not his receiver is covered,..even double or tripled.  The Rams game shows that.  Make him be methodical,...because he won't do it and try anyhow.  Which leads to turnovers.

Yep. If he tries to force it down field I can see a couple turnovers. He got very lucky with some of those wild passes this year.

Just watching over some of KC vs Chargers. Im not sure we need to do a whole lot different. I think we need to do what we do, play our zones and execute them at a higher level. Make them march the football down the field and force them to be patient. Place a premium on forcing Mahomes to make plays from the pocket and do a good job of minimizing their screen game. I think that can work from what i saw from the Chargers. We will get our fair share of stops and field goals. I think we also need to be looking for pick opportunities because when he gets out the pocket he has great confidence in his arm. He will try to fit the ball through tight spaces which can lead to turnovers. Lastly i cant see Reich going overly conservative on O just to keep Mahomes on the bench. Those Chiefs DBs are bad. I believe Reich will attack them out the gate while mixing in some run. We are going to put up points this i know. This feels so much like 2003 Colts vs Chiefs. Tony Gonzalez said the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

1.Limit their big plays

If Im the colts, I am not letting Tyreek Hill beat us. I am putting Desir or Wilson on him everywhere he goes with safety help over the top. Push Tyreek against the sideline and keep him in the zone of the safety. We need to hit Tyreek every time he trys to catch a pass and hit him hard. 

2. Mahomes's Inexperience

Everyone is talking up Mahomes like hes the next greatest and failing to mention the reality. The guy is basically a rookie playing in his first playoff game. That is a different animal. The pressure and the atmosphere of the moment is real. First time QBs win in the playoffs if they have a top defense to cover their mistakes and that is not the case here. All the pressure is gonna be on him to win this game and we need to take advantage of that.

3.Make Mahomes Uncomfortable

We all know what Mahomes likes to do and that is take the deep shot and make a big play. That is not gonna work in a tampa 2. You can't go deep and throw into the deep zones. I am telling you right now, Mahomes will take a shot and Hooker will pick him off. I promise you that will happen. Mahomes is not a dink and dunk QB. Hes not patient enough to play that game and eventually he will pull the trigger and it will backfire.

4.Control the Clock

We need long sustaining drives that last 7-10 mins. Even if it only results in a FG, thats fine. We can not allow this team to have too many possessions. We need to keep this a low scoring game and not play their up tempo game and get into a shoot out. 

5.Make Them Play Power Football

I think its safe to say that since the Chiefs released Kareem Hunt, their running game has been average at best which is forcing them to rely on Mahomes's arm even more. They want to hit seam busters over the middle to Kelce. They want long bombs to Hill. They want Magic. That is not how you win in January and we are the poster child for that. We need to make them play a power football game which their not comfortable with. We need to set the tone early and hit them in the mouth.

I would add

6. Colts WRs Don't Drop The Ball on 3rd Down!

In the 2nd Half against the Texans...

2nd&7 Pass Incomplete to Pascal

3rd&7 Pass Incomplete to Rogers

Punt 

3rd&5 Pass Incomplete to Hilton

Punt

3rd&7 Pass Incomplete to Hilton 

Punt

The #1 thing holding back our Offense is our own players! 

Andrew needs to quit forcing the ball to T.Y. & Rogers/Pascal/Ebron need to catch the ball...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Just watching over some of KC vs Chargers. Im not sure we need to do a whole lot different. I think we need to do what we do, play our zones and execute them at a higher level. Make them march the football down the field and force them to be patient. Place a premium on forcing Mahomes to make plays from the pocket and do a good job of minimizing their screen game. I think that can work from what i saw from the Chargers. We will get our fair share of stops and field goals. I think we also need to be looking for pick opportunities because when he gets out the pocket he has great confidence in his arm. He will try to fit the ball through tight spaces which can lead to turnovers. Lastly i cant see Reich going overly conservative on O just to keep Mahomes on the bench. Those Chiefs DBs are bad. I believe Reich will attack them out the gate while mixing in some run. We are going to put up points this i know. This feels so much like 2003 Colts vs Chiefs. Tony Gonzalez said the same thing.

Berry is back for them as well so that should help I thought he gave them a lot of what hooker gives the colts in the secondary. Good post!

• Like 1

Question: Who is playing the best football now? I simply don't see any reason to even be nervous let alone think we will lose. It may be hard to get used to but the Colts are a meat grinder. It is not just personnel but the play calling works. It will come down to the Chargers and Colts and the Colts will win.

1 hour ago, waka waka said:

Berry is back for them as well so that should help I thought he gave them a lot of what hooker gives the colts in the secondary. Good post!

He played in the charger game and it didnt make much difference. Rivers was hitting them underneath and crossers.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Even though Gonzalez picks Chiefs to win.

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Mahomes threw a lot of careless passes this year when under pressure. He got very lucky a lot of those were not intercepted. We will see if the magic continues.

Our timely blitzes with Moore had Watson throwing gutter balls.
Mahomes is not Watson that is for sure, but we are doing a very good job of containing athletic QB's and not giving them that much time to make decisions.
 Let's pound the H*** out of them and protect the ball.
60 minutes of Colts football will give Mahomes lots of problems.

Playoffs were talking about Playoffs!

One random thing for me I want to see, catch the gifts the opposing QB throws us. I swear we dropped like 3 interceptions against Houston. One glaring one was when an errant pass hit desir in the chest/hands in Houstons own red zone lol. This is a game where we will need to make plays like this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrLuck said:

One random thing for me I want to see, catch the gifts the opposing QB throws us. I swear we dropped like 3 interceptions against Houston. One glaring one was when an errant pass hit desir in the chest/hands in Houstons own red zone lol. This is a game where we will need to make plays like this.

If that was glaring... check your ____ eyesight.  :woah:

12 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

If that was glaring... check your ____ eyesight.  :woah:

No man I was at the game, and idk of you have ever been to NRG Stadium but there is this beam of light that shines on the field from the windows... hit Desirs helmet and totally blinded me. Glaring.

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Man, I always talked about 1 in 6 or 7 bucking the trend. 

Chiefs are 0-6 in home playoffs games since the 90s. I hope this is not the time they buck that trend. 

You know this game is starting to sound like 2006 but reverse.  In 2006 the Colts had a high flying offense but a suspect D.  The Chiefs were coming to Indy and many were saying they had the best chance on continuing on because the Colts would not be able to stop their running attack and they had an offense that could hang with the Colts in a shoot out.

Now the Chiefs have the high flying offense and a bad D, especially against the run and Indy is being given the team most likely to move on because the Chiefs won't be able to stop the Colts running game and the Colts can hang with the Chiefs in a shoot out.

I really hope Eberflus just mixes up our coverages a lot. As it’s been said, Mahomes can pick apart the Cover 2 all day, especially with time in the pocket. I’m hoping to see a little more man coverage this weekend with a single high Hooker. Have Kenny Moore cover Hill, fits him best out of all the guys. I’d put Wilson in at Safety to cover Kelce every now and then in man. Desir and whoever else we roll out can get their other two guys. 

I’d also caution against throwing too many blitzes at him. He’s great at making uncomfortable throws. I’d seriously bring three man rushes on like 20% of his drop backs. Sheard, Hunt, and Autry have got to have monster days for us. Their line is strong on the outside but weak on the inside. All three guys have played some pretty decent snaps for us inside so I’m expecting that trend to continue. When we do blitz, I want to see late blitzes from Maniac. Don’t show the blitz, have him fake dropping back and then blindside him. If he thinks the blitzes are coming they’ll run a screen as they’re about the best screen running team out there. 

Just mix up coverages a lot. That’s all I ask for Eberflus. Even though Football Steph Curry is basically a rookie, the dude can read a defense. We aren’t playing Dak Prescott or Deshaun Watson who get by on the skin of their teeth with athleticism. Football Steph Curry is not afraid to throw bombs, but he’s also not such an impatient gunslinger to not take what’s given to him either. 

Colts/Chiefs playoff matches are gonna be in store for the next decade. Let’s make them feel the way we feel about that Ugg boot, visor wearing, snake for an OC having team on the east coast. 

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You know this game is starting to sound like 2006 but reverse.  In 2006 the Colts had a high flying offense but a suspect D.  The Chiefs were coming to Indy and many were saying they had the best chance on continuing on because the Colts would not be able to stop their running attack and they had an offense that could hang with the Colts in a shoot out.

Now the Chiefs have the high flying offense and a bad D, especially against the run and Indy is being given the team most likely to move on because the Chiefs won't be able to stop the Colts running game and the Colts can hang with the Chiefs in a shoot out.

Im not sure where you are getting that narrative about the Colts being given the most likely to move on. People give us a chance to win but most people have said that the Chiefs should win this game.

11 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Andrew is not trent green

17 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Im not sure where you are getting that narrative about the Colts being given the most likely to move on. People give us a chance to win but most people have said that the Chiefs should win this game.

Granted, I have not listened to most people.  But clicking on the links on this forum, I have heard several people say things like, "The Colts will beat the Chiefs this week".  So it's places like that where I am getting that narrative.

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Brian Billick had a good point. We really have to be cautious with these wildcard teams. We get excited the wildcard team might be able to compete. But they are the number one seed for a reason. Although winning only two more games. How we start this  game is going to be huge. 

The Colts started the season 1-5, the Chiefs went 5-1 in the same period.  

The reason the Colts are a wild card team is because they started the season very slow, mainly due to Luck sitting out an entire season, several key injuries, new players and a completely new coaching staff/system.  Obviously the Colts got white hot since then and went 10-1.  The Chiefs went the opposite direction, they started off on fire, but in their last six games they have gone 3-3(granted all three losses were to playoff teams).

Right now, the Chiefs are a beatable team.  I can understand why they are favored, especially being at home, but the media really isn't giving the Colts a chance and they should. 

12 hours ago, King Colt said:

Question: Who is playing the best football now? I simply don't see any reason to even be nervous let alone think we will lose. It may be hard to get used to but the Colts are a meat grinder. It is not just personnel but the play calling works. It will come down to the Chargers and Colts and the Colts will win.

The colts really haven’t faced a offense like KC. I have no idea what to expect with our defense. I have no worries with our offense. This very well could be a blowout with KC winning setting our guys up for a big run next season. These young guys might need to lose this game big to get that chip on their shoulder for next year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, King Colt said:

Wow. not sure where you're getting all this confidence from. This playoff football. Nothing is as easy as you just made it seem

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I can see why you say that. Colts were league worst against the run in 2006 and the same narratives, given past playoff failures, were being propagated by the media.

The flip side to it is that the Chiefs' pass defense numbers can be inflated due to the fact that teams want to play keep away from them and ran more against the Chiefs thus leading to fewer passing yards allowed by the Chiefs.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:42 AM, CR91 said:

4.Control the Clock

We need long sustaining drives that last 7-10 mins. Even if it only results in a FG, thats fine. We can not allow this team to have too many possessions. We need to keep this a low scoring game and not play their up tempo game and get into a shoot out. 

You can't limit their possessions with long drives, since possessions are alternating. You can only limit their time-of-possession by forcing 3-and-outs, forcing turn-overs, or allowing much shorter drives.

3 minutes ago, masterlock said:

You can't limit their possessions with long drives, since possessions are alternating. You can only limit their time-of-possession by forcing 3-and-outs, forcing turn-overs, or allowing much shorter drives.

Did I really need to explain that? I think its self-explanatory 

3 minutes ago, masterlock said:

You can control the clock if you grind out long drives. I’m normally an ‘air it out’ type, but Saturday I want to see the Indianapolis House of Pancakes serving up double stacks all night in the run game. Run it down their throats all night. It’s the smart thing to do because it gives the defense time to catch their breath, and they’ll need to against this high flying Chiefs offense. 

Just now, The Peytonator said:

You can control the clock if you grind out long drives. I’m normally an ‘air it out’ type, but Saturday I want to see the Indianapolis House of Pancakes serving up double stacks all night in the run game. Run it down their throats all night. It’s the smart thing to do because it gives the defense time to catch their breath, and they’ll need to against this high flying Chiefs offense. 

Well, the Chiefs allowed a whopping 2,114 total rushing yards and 5 yards/carry average in the regular season, so I definitely think it makes sense to run it at them until they prove they can stop it--which they won't.

44 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I can see why you say that. Colts were league worst against the run in 2006 and the same narratives, given past playoff failures, were being propagated by the media.

The flip side to it is that the Chiefs' pass defense numbers can be inflated due to the fact that teams want to play keep away from them and ran more against the Chiefs thus leading to fewer passing yards allowed by the Chiefs.

Chiefs were middle of the pack in rushing attempts against but first (as in most) in passing attempts against.

I think Ebron is going to have a bigger game then last week. I don’t know if you guys read the story about his baby being born. His wife is from Houston and was in Houston and went into labor two weeks early. He got a call from her after practice and he had to go right to the airport.  So he kind of had his practice schedule messed up. But it’s funny she gave birth in Houston when we were playing there. Anyway he had a lot of distractions going on. He still had a good game but I think he will be better this week.

Does anyone remember that sack Autry had against Watson, where he dropped into coverage, Watson ran his way, then he darted after Watson and closed in? Ithink that was earlier in the season.  In contrast, last game against Watson I saw a few times where he scrambled and our guys jumped to block a pass, which lead to big gain runs.  We just need to attack Mahomes IMHO with some clever disguises.  Get Autry and Leornard in on some blitzes!!

Edited by compuls1v3
Grammer :)