Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns have sent request to interview Eberflus

stitches

Selfishly I hope the Colts can keep Eberflus and Sirianni another year. But even if they are able to do that there is no doubt in my mind that both will land head coaching jobs if the Colts success continues.

I said it in another thread but i'll repeat it here too. Probably the most important but overlooked aspect of a GM/HC is being able to replace scouts/assistants who get bigger jobs elsewhere. Ballard talks all of the time about the importance of "growing your own" in terms of drafting and developing players. I hope he has a similar plan for scouts/coaches.

We will never truly know the impact of any assistant but there is no doubt that coaching matters A LOT in the NFL. I would not dismiss the potential loss of Eberflus or Sirianni. 

I saw some mention the possibility of switching defenses if the Colts lose Eberflus. I'd be shocked if they do that. I don't have any proof but I think Ballard had a strong desire to switch to this defense regardless of who the coach is. Many say that Eberflus was a Josh McDaniels pick but I think there is a strong tie to Ballard too. I think the Colts will keep this type of defense regardless of the coordinator.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

If Eberflus gets a chance at the Brown job, he should take it.   He'd be a fool not to.  

However, Cleveland would be fools to offer it to him.   They need an Offensive -minded coach who has some experience.  

They sent the request to Indy about interviewing both Eberflus & Sirianni

2 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

They sent the request to Indy about interviewing both Eberflus & Sirianni

I think they are just going through the motions.   Their job is the most sought after in the NFL right now.   They don't need to settle for a first timer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

You're right, I did. My post was geared towards Eberflus so my apologies. I just don't see it happening but I could be wrong. And if I am then I'm sure Ballard and Riech already have a list.

No problem.  At least there is zero chance that our OC goes anywhere!

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think they are just going through the motions.   Their job is the most sought after in the NFL right now.   They don't need to settle for a first timer.

The retreads don't look all that appealing. Gase isn't interested and everyone claims McCarty's offense is a bit dated. McDaniels is a wussbag. 

When your team is picked to finish 32nd mainly due to the defensive side & you drastically change the ODDS, you will be thought of highly.  My take is we were not a 32nd team & would not be where we are today w/o a STAR draft pick in Darious Leonard.  All die hard colts fans knew our D was bad but not as horrible as most outsiders thought.  He’s good but let’s see how he does in the playoffs before making him the next Dick Lebeau!  Remember, Eli came into our house & scared the living crap out of COLT NATION.  First is Watson, then Mahomes & possibly nemesis Brady before Eberflus is the next big name.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Assistant HC to me is just a title.  

If he gets a chance he'll want to be a HC just like every other coach in the league.  We can only hope I think to hold on to him one more year because he's only done great for one season.

But if he does great again next season, he's as good as gone.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Not if/ but when Matt Eberflus decides to leave us for an HC job I will be crushed. But, hopefully he sticks around for another few years. He deserves much better than Cleveland!

I can’t imagine CLE hiring him. They need an OC to maximize the offense and put a system in place.

if they wanted a DC, they would just make Williams HC.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Not if/ but when Matt Eberflus decides to leave us for an HC job I will be crushed. But, hopefully he sticks around for another few years. He deserves much better than Cleveland!

Cleveland is a great head coaching option right now.    The team is young, stacked and hungry.  

Scroll on NFL network just said he is interviewing tomorrow with Browns. From what I read if a coordinator is still in the playoffs they can only be interviewed with teams apprival, would the Colts give him permission to interview with another team?

23 hours ago, midwest said:

Scroll on NFL network just said he is interviewing tomorrow with Browns. From what I read if a coordinator is still in the playoffs they can only be interviewed with teams apprival, would the Colts give him permission to interview with another team?

I don't think they need permission when interviewing for a head coaching job.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:51 PM, NDcolt said:

When your team is picked to finish 32nd mainly due to the defensive side & you drastically change the ODDS, you will be thought of highly.  My take is we were not a 32nd team & would not be where we are today w/o a STAR draft pick in Darious Leonard.  All die hard colts fans knew our D was bad but not as horrible as most outsiders thought.  He’s good but let’s see how he does in the playoffs before making him the next Dick Lebeau!  Remember, Eli came into our house & scared the living crap out of COLT NATION.  First is Watson, then Mahomes & possibly nemesis Brady before Eberflus is the next big name.

Yea Eberflus has done a good job.  However, the biggest contributor to the play of the D is the play of the O and the O line .  This is a defence built on speed.  How do u think it would have looked at the end of the season of Brissett was our qb?  I would envision a lot of 3 and outs. This light and speedy D would have worn out at the end of the year.  Instead it is getting better because of the offences efficiency.  Just my thoughts.

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yea Eberflus has done a good job.  However, the biggest contributor to the play of the D is the play of the O and the O line .  This is a defence built on speed.  How do u think it would have looked at the end of the season of Brissett was our qb?  I would envision a lot of 3 and outs. This light and speedy D would have worn out at the end of the year.  Instead it is getting better because of the offences efficiency.  Just my thoughts.

I think Brissett with this front line would have won a lot of games.

IMO Brissett has more talent than you give him credit for.

• Like 2

Also....Ballard is building the D in a manner that can be sustained over time with the losses of both coaches and/or players.  This  defensive scheme is simpler than most to learn and to coach. Look no further than Seattle.  They have gone through coaches and lost players. They continue to b a good defense even though they lost numerous high end players.  Will he b missed.? Maybe  Can he b replaced? Yes. I have faith in the structure of this coaching and personel staff to make the right choices going forward.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think Brissett with this front line would have won a lot of games.

IMO Brissett has more talent than you give him credit for.

I think he has talent.  Just not sure he is a fit for this style of  offence.

29 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The defense isn't that light.

19 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Also....Ballard is building the D in a manner that can be sustained over time with the losses of both coaches and/or players.  This  defensive scheme is simpler than most to learn and to coach. Look no further than Seattle.  They have gone through coaches and lost players. They continue to b a good defense even though they lost numerous high end players.  Will he b missed.? Maybe  Can he b replaced? Yes. I have faith in the structure of this coaching and personel staff to make the right choices going forward.

I think he has talent.  Just not sure he is a fit for this style of  offence.

I think Brissett would fit right in if needed. That is why he is here and it's also why Ballard traded for him.

• Like 1

Looks like the Colts said interview has to be very next day after the win.  I wonder if Matt was able to properly prepare himself a detailed report on their team and his vision, and their contract/cap status, etc...  what other coaches would stay, etc...

Dorsey has interviewed 6 HC candidates so far, 2 of them defensive coordinators.

On 1/6/2019 at 9:17 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think they need permission when interviewing for a head coaching job.

The web site I read said if the coordinator is still in the playoffs they can't be interviewed without the teams approval. Once a team is eliminated all bets are off.  Again, source was the internet so who knows.....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CR91 said:

For now.  Jets, Phins, and, Bengals still need a coach.  With that said I haven’t heard his name linked to those openings but if the Colts defense has another good outing this week it could become linked. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

For now.  Jets, Phins, and, Bengals still need a coach.  With that said I haven’t heard his name linked to those openings but if the Colts defense has another good outing this week it could become linked. 

Bengals have stopped their coaching search. Jets are looking like their gonna hire Mike Mccarthy. Dolphins never sent a request to interview him.

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Bengals have stopped their coaching search. Jets are looking like their gonna hire Mike Mccarthy. Dolphins never sent a request to interview him.

Kris Richard seems to be the Dolphins guy, or possibly Brian Flores.

Just now, Superman said:

Pats coordinators will always get interest, especially within the division.

I get that, but why? So many have flopped. Patricia couldn't even get the lions to a winning record and I believe they went 9-7 for two straight seasons.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Like I said for now.  If the Colts defense is able to shut down the chiefs offense that might change some minds.  As we know from last year coaching searches are never done until the contract is signed.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Like I said for now.  If the Colts defense is able to shut down the chiefs offense that might change some minds.  As we know from last year coaching searches are never done until the contract is signed.

OMG, the hype Eberflus would get if that were to happen would be unimaginable. 

Let's hope that becomes a reality!

Just now, CR91 said:

I get that, but why? So many have flopped. Patricia couldn't even get the lions to a winning record and I believe they went 9-7 for two straight seasons.

The Lions are rebuilding, last year doesn't count.

And each candidate should be judged on his own merits. Pats assistants don't fail because they come from the Pats.