Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Defense now ranked 11th in NFL.

Lawrence Owen

After Jaguars game, Many people want to look at how the Jags defense played against us, and how bad we played. But Our offense had about 300 yards.  It was just aggressive play calling that kept us from getting any points and not winning.

But Fact is, our defense also showed up.  Say whatever you want about how bad Jags passing attack, Fact is we allowed 150 yards in the air.  and 220 total.  This has bumped our Defensive rankings.  We are now ranked 11th in NFL in total yards/game.  We are 15th in the pass, and 12th against the run (7th in YPC).  I am VERY proud of our Defense.  We have 11 INT's and 14 Forced Fumbles on the year so far.  And are now the ONLY team in the NFL that has at least 1 turnover in every game thus far. (Cleveland failed to get one yesterday)  We may have a Legit pass rusher on the D-line In Denico Autry.  3 sacks, 2 forced Fumbles.  6 sacks on the year in just 8 games played.  And our CB's are showing better and better pass coverage skills.  ( and Jalen Collins is still on P.S.!) 

Total Defense.png

passing defense..png

rushing defense.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

i dont think anyone, including their own fans or coaches expected much from the jaguars offense yesterday, but there are some encouraging signs here

the colts D has a knack for turnovers, if they focused a little more on catching interceptions  it would be better still

• Like 1

Its the Jags offense and Cody Kessler so this game doesn't say a lot. Looking at our defense over the course of the season is very encouraging though, with the exception of a few games. 

Good Oline and Defense is something we are not used to and it is a nice change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Its the Jags offense and Cody Kessler so this game doesn't say a lot. Looking at our defense over the course of the season is very encouraging though, with the exception of a few games. 

Good Oline and Defense is something we are not used to and it is a nice change.

No, this 11th ranked D is on the entire season...not just 1 game.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The defense should be moving up the rankings.....jets, bills, raiders, jags, Titans, Dolphins, jags. Not exactly a murderers row of offense.  Heading in the right direction but let's be honest.

Every team plays low level offenses...not just Colts.  And all those teams you've named have blown up at one point or another on other teams.  (Jet's come to mind on us) Fact is we've allowed only 2 plays over 40 yards the entire season.  We've allowed under 4 YPC this year (and played some very good running teams that have went ham on others)  Not allowed a 100 yard rusher all year. Always able to get turnovers every game.  Being 11th on defense is something to be proud of.  Honestly,....did you actually think we'd be near top 10 defense at this point of the season before it started? If not...be proud, and happy we have pieces on defense.  More so than we thought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I realize that thanks, i was just stating that it is my opinion that the game on sunday doesn't mean much because of who we were up against.

I get that. But to allow only 150 passing, and 50 yards rushing by RB's (2.4ypc) is a tall order no matter who is on offense and who is on defense.  on the flip...they could have had 400 yards instead.  Fact is we OWNED their o-line the entire day.  I still say even though it was the Jags O,...Our D did much better than expected by me.

People can say what they want but that was a great defensive game by both teams.

I know the Colts have to take a look at what went wrong offensively but there were some  good plays on offense and the defense kept them in the game.

The season really rests on what happens in Houston. Win and they’re still alive. 

23 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

People can say what they want but that was a great defensive game by both teams.

I know the Colts have to take a look at what went wrong offensively but there were some  good plays on offense and the defense kept them in the game.

The season really rests on what happens in Houston. Win and they’re still alive. 

Win still alive lose again and its pretty much over.

5 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

One would think our record would be better looking at that.

Only twice - Bills and Titans - have we put together a good offensive and defensive performance in the same game.  If the offense shows up, the defense doesn't and vice versa.

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

It was just aggressive play calling that kept us from getting any points and not winning.

In my opinion, it was execution..or lack of...that kept the team from winning. 

Also, the team has one legit WR and two TE's that get game planned for. Our starting center being out has affected the ground game the last 2 games, but this game we were a man down on our already micro thin receiving core. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Every team plays low level offenses...not just Colts.  And all those teams you've named have blown up at one point or another on other teams.  (Jet's come to mind on us) Fact is we've allowed only 2 plays over 40 yards the entire season.  We've allowed under 4 YPC this year (and played some very good running teams that have went ham on others)  Not allowed a 100 yard rusher all year. Always able to get turnovers every game.  Being 11th on defense is something to be proud of.  Honestly,....did you actually think we'd be near top 10 defense at this point of the season before it started? If not...be proud, and happy we have pieces on defense.  More so than we thought.

Sure, every team plays poor offenses, but as far as points per game

25) miami

26) jets

28) tennessee 

29) oakland 

30) jacksonville

31) buffalo

The colts have literally been playing the worst offenses in the NFL last several weeks.  They are heading in the right direction, but they still need an influx of talent.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

In my opinion, it was execution..or lack of...that kept the team from winning. 

Also, the team has one legit WR and two TE's that get game planned for. Our starting center being out has affected the ground game the last 2 games, but this game we were a man down on our already micro thin receiving core. 

But we had 300 yards offense.  If we had kicked FG's when we were 4th down, game would have been different.  I for once did not like the aggressive play calls in this game. Our D was playing really well, and it was going to be a game where 10 points could win it. take the points IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BOTT said:

25) miami

26) jets

28) tennessee 

29) oakland 

30) jacksonville

31) buffalo

The colts have literally been playing the worst offenses in the NFL last several weeks.  They are heading in the right direction, but they still need an influx of talent.

I will agree we still need more talent.  On both sides of the ball.  But I feel there is a very solid foundation already there.  We NEED another WR.  And NEED to get a premier pass rusher. And maybe a corner.  (still not sold our starters aren't good enough)  Moore has been top 10 coverage CB all year.  Wilson has been playing outstanding since Mitchell sat down with him and showed him how to break down tape and study.  I am sure Ballard has a plan for this coming offseason.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

But we had 300 yards offense.  If we had kicked FG's when we were 4th down, game would have been different.  I for once did not like the aggressive play calls in this game. Our D was playing really well, and it was going to be a game where 10 points could win it. take the points IMO.

But if we had kicked both FG's and one of them had missed, people would be just as mad because we "weren't aggressive enough" to get the win. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BOTT said:

25) miami

26) jets

28) tennessee 

29) oakland 

30) jacksonville

31) buffalo

The third downs given up by our defense kill. It was driving me crazy vs the Jags

Based on the eye test they are no where near as good as that. We're probably better than I expected though so get some credit.

We have faced probably the most uninspiring list of quarterbacks possible over the course of the season so far which isn't the whole reason for the ranking but will certainly help somewhat. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Nice, but I think D should create more turnovers. 

Edit: Of course O HAS to capitalize them.

We are +2 on the turnover ratio..and top 1/2 of that stat (14th). And 7th in total takeaways with 21. Only team in NFL to get at least 1 takeaway in every game this season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

We are +2 on the turnover ratio..and top 1/2 of that stat (14th). And 7th in total takeaways with 21. Only team in NFL to get at least 1 takeaway in every game this season.

Maybe it is from the slump of Sunday's loss. We had only 1 early TO, and O wasted it. I had the feeling that more TO could give us more chance to win. Jags gameplan was perfect in that matter too...Kessler seldomly attempted long passes (what gave les chance for an INT).

21 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Maybe it is from the slump of Sunday's loss. We had only 1 early TO, and O wasted it. I had the feeling that more TO could give us more chance to win. Jags gameplan was perfect in that matter too...Kessler seldomly attempted long passes (what gave les chance for an INT).

In all honesty,...When your defense only gives up 220 yards...you should not need turnovers to win.  Our D was nearly impeccable.  Best performance of the year.  Our Offense/play calling cost us the game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BOTT said:

The defense should be moving up the rankings.....jets, bills, raiders, jags, Titans, Dolphins, jags. Not exactly a murderers row of offense.  Heading in the right direction but let's be honest.

Every defense has played several games against struggling offenses. So the when the Colt's D is compared to other NFL defenses, the comparison is still apples with apples.