Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So Many Putting This Lost On Frank is Hallarious!!!

Tombstone

The Colts scored 0 point today, NONE, NOTHING  ZERO.  Could of had 6 points I mind you but, this is on Frank.  BULL@#$%.  The JAGS defense just punched the Colts today PERIOD end of story.  So I guess the Saints lost to the Cowboys on prime time TV was Seaun Peytons fault too..... and he's not a first year head coach and has been with his QB and team a long time....  The Cowboys defense didn't have anything to do with that just like the Jags defense didn't have anything to do with this lost...  Laughable 

3 minutes ago, Tombstone said:

The Colts scored 0 point today, NONE, NOTHING  ZERO.  Could of had 6 points I mind you but, this is on Frank.  BULL@#$%.  The JAGS defense just punched the Colts today PERIOD end of story.  So I guess the Saints lost to the Cowboys on prime time TV was Seaun Peytons fault too..... and he's not a first year head coach and has been with his QB and team a long time....  The Cowboys defense didn't have anything to do with that just like the Jags defense didn't have anything to do with this lost...  Laughable 

If he wasnt agressive early we could have won 9 to 6 late

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Tombstone said:

1. The Colts scored 0 points today, BECAUSE Reich did not attempt two field goals.

2. As you stated, the Jags defense played well today, and for that reason, it's even more important to kick the field goals and take the points when you can.

3. The Saints and Cowboys have nothing to do with this game.

4. Colts lost by 2 field goals. Colts passed up on 2 field goal attempts. Do you see why some people can question his decisions? I think it's fair to be critical of those decisions.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

People hated on Dungy for being conservative but he always took the points.  And more often than not, we’d win those close games.  It’s time for Frank to take a page from Dungy’s book.  This would/should have been a field goal game we won 9-6.  I personally think Luck’s TD streak got to him & he was trying to preserve it and was pressing too much.  

We’ll see if he adjusts going forward?   And to the poster upthread, yes Payton did cost the Saints in the Cowboys game.  They went for it on 4th & 1 rather than taking the 3 points in a game they lost by 3 points...  Points are a premium in the NFL & I’m not too sure I trust all the analytics that says you should go for every 4th down over taking the 3 points.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

1. The Colts scored 0 points today, BECAUSE Reich did not attempt two field goals.

2. As you stated, the Jags defense played well today, and for that reason, it's even more important to kick the field goals and take the points when you can.

3. The Saints and Cowboys have nothing to do with this game.

4. Colts lost by 2 field goals. Colts passed up on 2 field goal attempts. Do you see why some people can question his decisions? I think it's fair to be critical of those decisions.

18 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Your spelling is HILARIOUS. 

Being critical and putting the blame on someone are two completely different thing And that's cute catching the spelling error.  Of course people have the right to be critical but, let me ask you this did you see this can of whip butt the Jags defense brought today coming...  I have no problem giving credit where credit is due and I tip my hat of to the Jags today as much as it hurts. And yes the simalirties of the Cowboys Saints are warranted here...  Lack of offensive production caused by a defense that played pretty dam good that day....  And I pretty sure no one saw this coming of the Colts not putting up a TD today...

At least he goes for it. You know we are going to lose occasionally. It sucks but a chance any team goes undefeated nowadays is extremely rare. Was todays playcalling questionable, yes. He is still a rookie coach. He will learn and approached with same decision it might be different. I thought the way the game was going with both defenses showing up it would call for FGs today. Nobody is beating him down worse than he is himself. I still have faith in Reich. We got holes and injuries plagued us again. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tombstone said:

Umm, why didn’t the Colts score any points today? Because instead of kicking FG’s they went for it on 4th downs. 9 points is all that was needed to win the game. 3 FG’s was all that was needed, and they had the opportunity to kick 3 FG’s. And yes the Jags D was good, all the more reason to take the points when you can. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given the way the Defense was playing, I agreed with going for it at the goalline. 

The 4th and 1 where they ran with Ebron was the only one I didn't like. But there was plenty of game left for them to make up 3 points. It just did not happen. 

At the end of the game, they could have kicked a FG with 2:38 remaining. But if the D doesn't get the stop, Everyone would want the coaches head. Get the FG and a 3 and out, then the O only needs a FG to take it to OT. 

No need to blame the coach. The Jag D earned that win. They played like it was 2017 again. 

• Like 1

How many times this season the offense goes into a funk and then put a couple of drives together and it's all good.  Your point is well taken and I don't live in Indy a I watch every Colts game at Buffalo Wild Wings.  How this Colts offense has been playing I was sure they would score at least 2 TD's today despite not settling for the two field goals.  And I feel the Colts felt so too especially the offense they were facing today...   

Where was the time management at the end if the game? Guys out there acted like it was 3 min left in the 3rd freaking qtr. Haven't been able to move the ball on the jags and you're not in a hurry with only a coupleinutes left in the game? 

It's days like this that I miss dungy and Manning who understood the importance of up tempo offense. 

• Like 2

U know u could b right.  Maybe the loss is on Reich.   Mayb he goes back and looks at the tape and sees that he called a crappy game or that it was more due to lack of talent. Mayb it was because they got the crap  kicked  out of them . I dont know because I dont have access to the game film.  Now if they play the Texans and Cowvoys D and look totally over whelmed then I will b very worried.  I believe a loss like this is more of a learning experience for both coaches and players.  How they respond is what I want to c.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Where was the time management at the end if the game? Guys out there acted like it was 3 min left in the 3rd freaking qtr. Haven't been able to move the ball on the jags and you're not in a hurry with only a coupleinutes left in the game? 

It's days like this that I miss dungy and Manning who understood the importance of up tempo offense. 

Andrew had no command of this offense in the last 2 minutes of this game. I am dumbfounded at our situational football at the end. Teams practice two minute drill football consistently and weekly. There wasn't one spike to stop the clock. There wasnt one shot towards the endzone, or even on the sideline to ensure a player didn't get tackled inbounds. Instead we threw routes running towards the sideline thinking it was good enough and got tackled in bounds, what, 5 times? I counted at least 40 seconds of clock wasted on that drive. Unacceptable. Back to the drawing board for Frank, Andrew and company. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tombstone said:

No the Jags defense didn't have as much to do with it as you think it did play call bad playcalling in key situation's cost the colts this game.

• Like 1

The first rule of football is always take the points.  The coach passed on that three times today.  If the Colts kicked those field goals they win 9-6.  If we are going to blame players when they underperform it’s just as fair to point out when the coach makes poor decisions.  The Colts simply got way too cute today and it cost them.  No one is calling for anyone to be fired over this but people are also being real about what happened too.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Matabix said:

At least he goes for it. You know we are going to lose occasionally. It sucks but a chance any team goes undefeated nowadays is extremely rare. Was todays playcalling questionable, yes. He is still a rookie coach. He will learn and approached with same decision it might be different. I thought the way the game was going with both defenses showing up it would call for FGs today. Nobody is beating him down worse than he is himself. I still have faith in Reich. We got holes and injuries plagued us again. 

Do you remember when the Colts won a playoff game by taking points and only kicking field goals against a really good defense with Peyton Manning leading the charge?  You don’t have to go for it everytime.  When you have the chance to score points take the points.  I agree this is growing points for a first year head coach but this is the second game the Colts have lost this year due to Reich being too agreesive.  I hope he learns from it.  

10 hours ago, Tombstone said:

Being critical and putting the blame on someone are two completely different thing And that's cute catching the spelling error.  Of course people have the right to be critical but, let me ask you this did you see this can of whip butt the Jags defense brought today coming...  I have no problem giving credit where credit is due and I tip my hat of to the Jags today as much as it hurts. And yes the simalirties of the Cowboys Saints are warranted here...  Lack of offensive production caused by a defense that played pretty dam good that day....  And I pretty sure no one saw this coming of the Colts not putting up a TD today...

Maybe not the level of dominance but, lets not forget they shut us out for the entire second half when we played them a few weeks ago.

Ugly game, other than the Defense playing very well.

Reich is to blame for being over-aggressive at time and not game planning the best.

Luck is to blame for holding the ball too long and not checking out of certain plays.

O-line is to blame for not opening up running lanes and giving Luck more time.

WRs/TEs are to blame for not getting open and making the hard catches.

Plenty of blame to go around.

The team just got punched in the face.  Let's see how they react.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NagelHausForge said:

Ugly game, other than the Defense playing very well.

Reich is to blame for being over-aggressive at time and not game planning the best.

Luck is to blame for holding the ball too long and not checking out of certain plays.

O-line is to blame for not opening up running lanes and giving Luck more time.

WRs/TEs are to blame for not getting open and making the hard catches.

Plenty of blame to go around.

The team just got punched in the face.  Let's see how they react.

This

The biggest thing for me is that I feel like Reich was overthinking things on 4th down.  

I know they have some good interior DL, but when it's 4th and 1 just try to punch it up the gut.  Either QB sneak or FB dive would work fine.  Don't try some ridiculous end around with Ebron who isn't even that fast to begin with.  

Luck's int was horrible, especially when he had another receiver open for first down yardage.

Receivers still needed to get open more.

Only group I can't really put much blame on is the defense.  They held them to 6 points and got at least 1 turnover.  (I seem to think they might have gotten 2 but I'm not sure.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I know they have some good interior DL, but when it's 4th and 1 just try to punch it up the gut.  Either QB sneak or FB dive would work fine.  Don't try some ridiculous end around with Ebron who isn't even that fast to begin with.  

Luck's int was horrible, especially when he had another receiver open for first down yardage.

Using Ebron was a stupid play call.   It was a critical time of the game.   We only needed a few inches.   Ebron is not a running back.

Should have been a QB sneak or a run behind Nelson.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Goaline play call I was ok with (Jacks just made a great tackle) but running Ebron on 4th and short had me smh. I wouldve ran Luck there on a QB sneak as we only needed a few inches.

You know if I where writing the scouting report on Reich's play calling I would put "Likes to get cute on 4th and short.

Seems like on 4th and short Reich always pulls out some strange play that teams rarely run.  He never just does a QB Sneak or runs a dive play.  

If I was a D-coordinator trying to defend the Colts on 4th and short I would have my guys line up looking like they are ready to defend against a dive but to not commit to it.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

People hated on Dungy for being conservative but he always took the points.  And more often than not, we’d win those close games.  It’s time for Frank to take a page from Dungy’s book.  This would/should have been a field goal game we won 9-6.  I personally think Luck’s TD streak got to him & he was trying to preserve it and was pressing too much.

No, it's not. He shouldn't. Dungy coached in the 2000's, and this is a new era. Analytics (used in a proper way) never were more important part of the game than nowadays. If you look around the league, everyone's doing it. Because it works. Ten years ago it didn't work, but now, it works, because the game (and the rules) changed a lot since. 

That call, for example at the goal line at 4th and goal was a high percent success rate call there. That was a well designed play, the offense knew it, they practiced it countless times, and they prepared it for exactly these situations. This is why that play was in the playbook. The offense failed to execute it, but it does not change the fact, that it was the right call there. Vina could've missed the FG there as well. You EXPECT that those high percentage plays be executed, and you can't judge the call by the result. If Wilkins only reached 3-4 inches further, it would've been a TD and we would not talk about that call at all, despite, it would've been the same exact call.

I'm not saying Reich was perfect yesterday. I think he has issues with clock management, which showed yesterday as well as in some previous games. He has to improve in that area. But regarding those 4th down calls, all 3 of them was a well designed play, which the team failed to execute yesterday. So they lost. The right answer is go back and practice these plays more, so you execute it better next time. (A better RB, a better WR would've helped. In the future, I am sure an improved, more talented, more experienced personnel will help. As it will help to reduce the number of drops too. But Reich has to trust his current team, otherwise he'll end up calling bad plays eventually. He can't throw away a well designed play, because he doesn't trust our WR's to catch the ball. For the exact same reason, he can't throw away a goal line opportunity because he does not trust our offense.)

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

This

The biggest thing for me is that I feel like Reich was overthinking things on 4th down.  

Receivers still needed to get open more.

Only group I can't really put much blame on is the defense.  They held them to 6 points and got at least 1 turnover.  (I seem to think they might have gotten 2 but I'm not sure.)

I think you are very accurate here.  Reich likes to get too cute on some of these plays.  Sometimes your analytical brain can be your own worst enemy.  Sometimes you just need to line up and play old school smash mouth football.  Perhaps this is where we need to find that short yardage RB, which is what Turbin was supposed to be for us. 

The Ebron end around worked once.  Now let it go.  Just like the Luck as a WR play.  The Colts don't need to be a gimmick offense.  Just run creative routes, work on making mismatches, and establish an adequate run game.

But its easy for us to armchair QB things from our position.  Its been a fun season so far and it will be interesting to see where the team goes from here.

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U know u could b right.  Maybe the loss is on Reich.   Mayb he goes back and looks at the tape and sees that he called a crappy game or that it was more due to lack of talent. Mayb it was because they got the crap  kicked  out of them . I dont know because I dont have access to the game film.  Now if they play the Texans and Cowvoys D and look totally over whelmed then I will b very worried.  I believe a loss like this is more of a learning experience for both coaches and players.  How they respond is what I want to c.

In a loss like this, you can rightfully blame the coach. And you can blame some players. 

Credit is due to the Jags for playing a heck of a game.

It doesn’t have to be one or the other. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Frank did get to cute there, shouldve been an easy QB sneak.

Yep.   The O-line is good and Luck is big.  Easy 1st down.  

I just don't understand why coaches call plays were you send the ball backwards on a sweep before going forward to attempt to game a yard on 4th down.   Sure, if they work, they could net a big gain, but really you only need a first down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NagelHausForge said:

The Ebron end around worked once.  Now let it go.  Just like the Luck as a WR play.  The Colts don't need to be a gimmick offense.  Just run creative routes, work on making mismatches, and establish an adequate run game.

That just made it worse.   They already used the play against the Jags.   Did Reich think they forgot.  

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yep.   The O-line is good and Luck is big.  Easy 1st down.  

I just don't understand why coaches call plays were you send the ball backwards on a sweep before going forward to attempt to game a yard on 4th down.   Sure, if they work, they could net a big gain, but really you only need a first down.

I did think when then commentary said the Colts didn’t have a power back “yes we do.. he’s called Andrew Luck”...