Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let’s Look at Positives (Week 3)

WarGhost21

1) This defense is fun. Leonard is balling out, Hunt is semi-quietly having a Pro Bowl Campaign, and it’s just been so much improved. Reminds me of the Dungy era: A great LB, some good pass rush, and a couple great safeties in a defense with a bend-don’t-break mentality. 

2) Keep in mind that trying to have a strong 4th quarter is nearly impossible when the opposing team takes 12 minutes off the clock on an endless drive with some bad calls mixed in. 

3) The offense isn’t a disaster. Yes, it was sad to watch at times, but we still nearly won the game without much on that end. If we can get Luck fully healthy and back to his old form for good, and surround him with a few more weapons, it’ll be Peyton-esque out there (Good QB, some good O-linemen, a stud receiver and a somewhat respectable ground game). 

4) Vinatieri. Nothing more to say. Proud of the man. 

5) Wentz played lights out ball, and the still barely scored until the aforementioned drive. 

6) After the big late game drive, the D was tired coming back on and forced a 3-and-out to give the O one last shot. That’s impressive for any team. 

7) I liked the play calling actually. Lots of short plays dissecting the defense, just need to finish one 3rd downs more like the first two weeks. 

Lets stop ripping this team to shreds after nearly upsetting the defending champs. 

:coltslogo:

• Like 6

Eagles offense at home last season (pts)

(Last game 0 with Sudfeld at QB in meaningless game)

Yes.....our D did a remarkable job. 

However, our offense didn't do to shabby either. Eagles defense at home last season (pts allwd)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

.  If you hold a team to 20 points you should win the game in the NFL.

If your defense holds a team to 20 and forces two red zone/near red zone turnovers, you should never lose a game.  

We've gotten three such turnovers this season and have scored 6 points total off of them.

• Like 1

I am happy, with all the changes (rookies, coaches, Luck back), this team seems to be grounded and just happy to be playin ball WITH EACH OTHER.  This young defense is bonding quickly, and has played admirably, dare I say "good enuff to win?"

The offense is struggling.  I feel its a combination of Luck (gettin back into it), a new offense and coaches, OT musical chairs, RB "issues", etc.

in both the Cincy game and this one, a healthy Turbin i think puts us over the edge.  I do feel, overall, the OL has fought pretty well, and i think our offense will open up (further downfield) when Castonzo is back.  I'd like to see a TE as a permanent fixture on left until Castanzo's return.

I like where we are.  We were 5 yards from the win this week, and we were right there in the Bengals game too.

The offense will figure it out, and the defense will improve.

with the Jags loss, the division really seems up for grabs.  I dont feel we're quite there for a playoff run, but , after seeing this defense for 3 weeks, i feel a division title is certainly possible. 

• Like 2

We're trending upwards so that's an improvement from last year. The red zone stuff will sort itself out I think. 

Reich and Siri have some film of what wrong. If they're competent coaches they'll see what we're doing wrong and react accordingly, play calling wise.

Not to derail with a Luck comment, but some are definitely overreacting on his arm strength. The guy was on a pitch count in training camp. Those arm muscles are still working their way back. He didn't look like Chad Pennington out there like some make it seem. His throw at I think 2:15 in the first to TY was a laser out route to the far side of the field. That's a hard their to make. Plus the ball is heavier when wet. He looks strong and he'll improve 

• Like 1

Reich is not perfect but I like the attitude and mentality he is bringing to this YOUNG team.  Luck is not where he needs to be yet, AC hasn't played a down (which cost them there late), and yet they STILL are about 2-3 plays away from being 3-0.  Not too shabby.  

That said, I still think this team is missing some key pieces and, although I expect them to be competitive again, I see them losing more of these close ones than winning them this season.  I still maintain '19 could be a really good year.

I agree the defense is playing lights out and is doing so much more than was expected, it is very exciting, but we can't all turn a blind eye to the fact that this Andrew Luck run offense is struggling and we really should be 3-0 if the offense were to be operating in the way we all know Luck is capable of. This raises the question, is the Reichs dink and dunk strategy not utilizing Lucks full potential, or is he rusty, or possibly still hurt. I think how Reich and the offense handle the adversity after this loss in the next couple of weeks will be very telling.

Our offense has shown glimmers but it has yet to put it together. I think the weather didn't do us any favors. 

While the defense has looked good they got scorched in the run game. Maybe scorched is harsh. Most of the big runs that popped off they had the guy either short or negative yards and just didn't bring him down. Young team, weather could have played a part also.

all in all I knew it was going to come down to us. Our mistakes and penalties. We made to many to overcome and was still right there able to win. 

This is team of it clicks like a well oiled machine will be stupid good.

7 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I am happy, with all the changes (rookies, coaches, Luck back), this team seems to be grounded and just happy to be playin ball WITH EACH OTHER.  This young defense is bonding quickly, and has played admirably, dare I say "good enuff to win?"

The offense is struggling.  I feel its a combination of Luck (gettin back into it), a new offense and coaches, OT musical chairs, RB "issues", etc.

in both the Cincy game and this one, a healthy Turbin i think puts us over the edge.  I do feel, overall, the OL has fought pretty well, and i think our offense will open up (further downfield) when Castonzo is back.  I'd like to see a TE as a permanent fixture on left until Castanzo's return.

I like where we are.  We were 5 yards from the win this week, and we were right there in the Bengals game too.

The offense will figure it out, and the defense will improve.

with the Jags loss, the division really seems up for grabs.  I dont feel we're quite there for a playoff run, but , after seeing this defense for 3 weeks, i feel a division title is certainly possible. 

A division title means playoffs. If we aren't ready for the playoffs then how'd we be ready for a division title? Oh well I won't nitpick

1 hour ago, krunk said:

A division title means playoffs. If we aren't ready for the playoffs then how'd we be ready for a division title? Oh well I won't nitpick

I thought he meant playoff wins. But honestly the sky is the limit if they can clean up the mistakes. We have a lot of talent

4 hours ago, krunk said:

Seriously?    So you cant win the division without winning the SuperBowl or winning a single playoff game?  Oh, i guess i dont understand the game.

you dont have tobe "ready" for playoffs to stumble on them.

or are u one of those who only wants to make playoffs if they will coast to the super bowl?

you know, people around here like to nitpick to look smarter.

man, i HATE the day after a loss.  People lose their minds.

The defense is clicking pretty well, the offense isn't. Andrew Luck has got to play better, but it's not all on him either. Our running backs had something like 37 yards, that's not a recipe to win games. I don't think our weapons are very scary (outside of Hilton) and our starting LT has been out, so I don't expect 40 points per game, but I do expect Luck to improve as he gets back into the flow of NFL action. 

I think Luck is still rusty and still building a rhythm with his receivers.  Our starting tackles being out has not helped as well as our starting running back.  I think when personnel returns, the offense will get better.

The D is playing well, though IMO too flexible concerning the ground game.  Overall, looking good.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our Defense gets an A this week, the Offense a C. C because we had problems in the Red Zone. Luck actually had some drives where he moved the ball but it ended with FG's mostly. 

I think we missed Doyle in the red zone.  I wondered if Wilkens was dinged, because we saw alot of Hines in the red zone.  I was surprised Michael wasnt given a chance, he seemed to run VERY gard when given the chance.  Of cours our smallish receivrrs dont help much.  Maybe thats why the 3 TEs on the 4th and goal from the 5 play.

We did play a very good team in a very tough environment too.

and actually,  when you look at yardage, time of possession, etc, its surprising it was that close.  Credit the defense.  We should be able to win most games if the D holds opponent to 20.  Time for the offense to step up, and I'm pretty sure they know that.

• Like 1

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is TY back for the last punt return. I thought that was a great coaching move by Reich. 

For me it's a big positive and I've wanted it for years. Some will argue it's too risky from an injury standpoint. I disagree. You fair catch anything close, and return those where you have space to catch and run. 

He's the best punt returner on the team. He's the #1 play maker on the team. He is excellent at avoiding big hits. Get the ball in his hands as much as possible. One good punt return can be the difference in winning or losing. He had an excellent return near the end of the Philly game which was negated by a ticky-tack penalty behind the play.