Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ALL ABOARD THE CAIN TRAIN!!!

TheMose

14 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I think he's got a bit more polish than Pierre Garcon had but the same type of skillset (big, strong and fast).....Cain's rookie campaign will probably mirror Garcon's 2nd season....40ish catches, 500-600 yards, 5 tds....

I can see the relation between the two. And would be happy if Cain became another Garcon. I just hope we keep him this time. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

Funny thing about brown as he didnt have big stats his rookie year. I yhink cain can get between 800 and 1200 yards his rookie year especially if he starts. Hilton had 861 his rookie year as a number 3 wr and to me cain looks more polished than hilton when he first came out. The way he gets out of his breaks and can catch in traffic.

A steller rookie season he might get close to 800. Reich and Siriani and Luck seem to be heavy on TE and RB to this point in camp, WR numbers might not be high. 

23 hours ago, TheMose said:

Well it was both his off field issues and his drop in production after taking over the WR1 role. I think the production had more to do with the off field issues. I guess I shouldn't even say issues, I'm pretty sure it was a singular marijuana problem

Hearing good things about Cain. All around. Showing dedication early. But we also didn’t draft him for the WR1 role. But could be perfect compliment to TY. Rogers maybe slot? Idk. Wherever they land I’m sure it will benefit the Colts. 

Cain is a bit bigger target than Garcon 6' 2" vs 6' 0"....... I also think Cain is a 

bit more explosive.....

Hopefully .........Garcon is the FLOOR of what Cain can be

I look at our WRs and I fully believe that SOMEONE will rise to the occasion..........   

There is some talent there

I also think the with the RBs that will be adjusting to a  slot, pre snap, and with the high likelyhood that we will start with 2 TE sets,  (or have Ebron in the slot).... We will see MOSTLY only 2 true, WRs on the field.

Grant is a decent player...... Hilton is pro bowl

One of the rookies, FAs will rise...........

I like our potential at WR........

But...... did I mention that we should keep upgrading the backside of this defense........

We are a MASH unit at best.......

13 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

Hope he shows up tonight.  Didn’t see any news about him on Saturday.  As Steve Smith said all receivers can look good in shorts.  It’s when they put their pads on that determines if they are any good.

I saw that he made some catches it is just that rogers got targeted on the deep throw.

18 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

Hope he shows up tonight.  Didn’t see any news about him on Saturday.  As Steve Smith said all receivers can look good in shorts.  It’s when they put their pads on that determines if they are any good.

They also had him fielding punts on saturday

His college play means little as far a producing numbers. What it takes to catch balls now is so different.
 We will see how good he is at getting of the line of scrimmage in press, how good he is at quick slants, crossing patterns, and stabbing the ball out of the air with those tiny hands.
 Plenty of camp bodies will be making plays now, show me the real deal against #'1's.

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I saw that he made some catches it is just that rogers got targeted on the deep throw.

Good to hear,  I’m not expecting a pro bowl performance on first day of padded practice.  Just never saw his name mentioned yesterday.

I’m not expecting much from Cain but if he ends up as good as Pierre Garçon we will be incredibly lucky. Garçon has far exceeded his 6th round pick status. He has had an outstanding career. I won’t let one bad drop in the SB change my opinion of him. Sure he isn’t Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison but we’ve been spoiled in Indy...he has had a fabulous career.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m not expecting much from Cain but if he ends up as good as Pierre Garçon we will be incredibly lucky. Garçon has far exceeded his 6th round pick status. He has had an outstanding career. I won’t let one bad drop in the SB change my opinion of him. Sure he isn’t Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison but we’ve been spoiled in Indy...he has had a fabulous career.

Yea if Mike hopes Garçon is the floor for Cain, that's real high hopes. I'm not saying Garçon is Cain's ceiling but it's a damn good turnout for a 6th rounder. Especially if he can be a reception machine like he was in Washington. Looks like another good day for Cain in camp as well.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, HarryTheCat said:

You made me look it up...

1,473 by Bill Groman, Houston, 1960

1,377 by Anquan Boldin, Arizona, 2003

1,313 by Randy Moss, Minnesota, 1998

Boldin also holds the record for the number of receptions by a rookie, with 101. Moss holds the record for touchdowns by a rookie with 17. 

I think those records are probably safe for a while.

Odell Beckam Jr. might have broke all three of those records had he played 16 games his rookie season. Due to injuries he played 12. And he did this:

91 REC

1,305 Yards

12 TD

12 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Odell Beckam Jr. might have broke all three of those records had he played 16 games his rookie season. Due to injuries he played 12. And he did this:

91 REC

1,305 Yards

12 TD

Yea prob could have

1 hour ago, TheMose said:

Yea if Mike hopes Garçon is the floor for Cain, that's real high hopes. I'm not saying Garçon is Cain's ceiling but it's a damn good turnout for a 6th rounder. Especially if he can be a reception machine like he was in Washington. Looks like another good day for Cain in camp as well.

Yea two redzone tds. Think cain will be a td machine. 

14 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

91 REC

1,305 Yards

12 TD

Very possible. Groman's rookie yardage record is probably the most impressive rookie record, averaging 105 yards/game in a 14-game season, not 16. His QB? George Blanda.

On 7/28/2018 at 7:29 AM, John Hammonds said:

I love this guy!  I'm thinking he's gonna emerge as a surprise starter.

I don't think him emerging as a starter would be much a surprise at this point, at least not amongst Colts fans. And considering the shaky depth that we have at the WR position, he could honestly be WR2 by midseason.

I'm more wait-and-see on Cain at this point.  We've had other late round guys look great in training camp and not really produce much.  I hope people are right about him though.  This team needs a #2 WR to step out of the crowd.

It's nice he is getting the attention but till I see him in pre-season and some real game action I am not getting too giddy over him.

Yes he looks good but he hasn't been up against an opposing teams defense.

I am excited the Colts picked him but expecting a rookie WR to come in and be an impact player on a consistent level is not being logical.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's nice he is getting the attention but till I see him in pre-season and some real game action I am not getting too giddy over him.

Yes he looks good but he hasn't been up against an opposing teams defense.

I am excited the Colts picked him but expecting a rookie WR to come in and be an impact player on a consistent level is not being logical.

Do you feel the same way about Quenton Nelson? This could literally apply to him as well as a rookie. Don't give me the 6th overall pick excuse either. Your beef with Cain is that he's a rookie, not a 6th round rookie, so by the connection, you probably don't expect Nelson to be great because he's a rookie either. Rookies are much better today than in the past, it isn't 20 years ago where all the rookies sit behind all the veterans. Pagano is gone as well, so a lot of these rookies, including Cain, will get playing time.

Sorry to bug you on this, but your response agitated me and triggered me a bit.

10 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Lets hope this is real production that we will see every Sunday in the fall. No more Roy Hall or Duron Carter hype

I really hope Cain succeeds.  I’ve just been around for a long succession of hyped preseason players.  Remember Kenton Keith?  Or Moorehead?  It seemed like there was a stretch where there was one favorite “beast” each preseason who never amounted to anything.

I hope Cain isn’t that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Do you feel the same way about Quenton Nelson? This could literally apply to him as well as a rookie. Don't give me the 6th overall pick excuse either. Your beef with Cain is that he's a rookie, not a 6th round rookie, so by the connection, you probably don't expect Nelson to be great because he's a rookie either. Rookies are much better today than in the past, it isn't 20 years ago where all the rookies sit behind all the veterans. Pagano is gone as well, so a lot of these rookies, including Cain, will get playing time.

Sorry to bug you on this, but your response agitated me and triggered me a bit.

I don't have a beef with Cain. The reality is that there are very few WRs that do all that well in their rookie year. It takes time for them to get adjusted to the speed of the NFL. Veteran defenders will also make some of them look silly at times by baiting them.

What you are seeing is Cain looking good against 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier guys in a camp where there are no defensive game planning.

As far as Nelson is concerned is there is a huge difference between the best guard taken in the draft in the 1st round than where Cain was drafted.  Their skill set at their position can't be compared.

Matter of fact I drafted Cain in the 3rd or 4th round in our Colts mock draft so you are dead wrong about your assumption I have a problem with Cain.

Rookies will sit behind the veterans till they earn their playing time.

11 hours ago, schwamm said:

I really hope Cain succeeds.  I’ve just been around for a long succession of hyped preseason players.  Remember Kenton Keith?  Or Moorehead?  It seemed like there was a stretch where there was one favorite “beast” each preseason who never amounted to anything.

I hope Cain isn’t that.

Aaron Moorehead made one of the greatest catches in history with the 80 yd TD behind the back catch. Too bad it was in pre-season.

On 7/29/2018 at 8:53 PM, dgambill said:

Fabulous might be a bit strong.  He's had a few good years and was utilized well in Shanahan's offense for a period.  I was fine not paying him the big money, however.  As you said, he's not Marvin or Reggie... or TY.  

Keeping Reggie over Garcon was one correct move from Grigson.  Without Reggie, I don't think there is any way Luck or that team would have made the early leap they did.

32 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Aaron Moorehead made one of the greatest catches in history with the 80 yd TD behind the back catch. Too bad it was in pre-season.

I was remembering that catch as I typed my last post.

FWIW, I recall overblowing Sam Guiguerre’s (sp?) chances to impact the team several years ago, thinking he could be our Wes Walker.  In fact I’ve been guilty of singing the praise of a more than a few no-name preseason heroes on this board in years past.

I think the impulse stems from two things:  one is that we want to see diamonds in the rough succeed, and the other is that we want to prove our keen ability to recognize those late round or UDFA heroes among all the camp fodder.

If I can loudly claim Cain’s greatness, and he succeeds, I get to tell y’all I told you so, and be branded as expert (conveniently burying the hundreds of earlier occasions I was a mile off in my assessments).

But Cain looks good, and I hope he becomes a bonafide NFL star for the horseshoe.  I’ll praise all his advocates for their keen acumen when he does.

• Like 1