Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading down at #6

horseshoecrabs

Who Thinks we will  keep trading  down at #6? Or if we will just keep that option open until our pick on draft day?

Are we just waiting for a mega trade down until then, are we going to pick in the top ten in the draft? I think regardless we want to have a top ten draft pick in the first!

I don't think Ballard knew he would be able to trade 3 so early before the draft.  Seemed like a weird move by the jets.   They don't know if the guy they want will be there.     I don't see a trade happening for the 6 until draft night

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think Ballard knew he would be able to trade 3 so early before the draft.  Seemed like a weird move by the jets.   They don't know if the guy they want will be there.     I don't see a trade happening for the 6 until draft night

I would think the Jets feel there are 3 players they would make the trade for .

3 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Who Thinks we will  keep trading  down at #6? Or if we will just keep that option open until our pick on draft day?

Are we just waiting for a mega trade down until then, are we going to pick in the top ten in the draft? I think regardless we want to have a top ten draft pick in the first!

Here's what I think:

If Chubb is available at #6, they'll draft him. If not, they will trade down to Chicago or Miami and take Roquan Smith.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, MTC said:

Here's what I think:

If Chubb is available at #6, they'll draft him. If not, they will trade down to Chicago or Miami and take Roquan Smith.

Completely agree. I would bet Ballard has a deal in place with Chicago if Chubb is gone by #6 for an extra 2nd rounder or so. The Bears would probably move up for Nelson while we take Roquan Smith.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Completely agree. I would bet Ballard has a deal in place with Chicago if Chubb is gone by #6 for an extra 2nd rounder or so. The Bears would probably move up for Nelson while we take Roquan Smith.

Chicago doesn't have many picks to trade to go along with their 8th.  They have the 39th, but I doubt they will give that up to go to 6.  If they would, I hope CB will take it, whether Chubb is available or not..

9 minutes ago, il vecchio said:

Chicago doesn't have many picks to trade to go along with their 8th.  They have the 39th, but I doubt they will give that up to go to 6.  If they would, I hope CB will take it, whether Chubb is available or not..

I think they lost a 3rd, but gained a 4th, so unfortunately, the 3rd rounder is out of the question. I wouldn't mind their 2nd this year, or a 4th and a 2nd next year from them. Either one would be fine with me. I know Ryan Pace is a GM that will panic to move up and get his guy, so a trade down is possible with them. They should be interested in Chubb, Edmunds or Nelson, so Ballard could easily have the upper hand if they want someone. I do think there have been talks between the two, and a prearranged deal has been set come draft time if the conditions are right when the Colts pick at 6.

7 hours ago, il vecchio said:

No way they give up 39 to move up 2 spots after the flak they got last year for that type of move. 

I would be interested swapping our 49th pick for their 39th, and our 6th and 7th round picks for both of their 4th rounders. That would give us 9 picks in the top 140. I like that... It fits pretty well with the draft chart value (not that it matters). The Bears get to move up and take their player, while we can move down and still snag Smith or Edmunds. They don't lose any picks. We don't gain any, but we move up 10 spots in the 2nd and significantly in the later rounds. 
This would also give Ballard a more comfortable opportunity moving back with the 36/37 picks, if he wanted (I'm assuming he is interested)

27 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

No way they give up 39 to move up 2 spots after the flak they got last year for that type of move. 

I would be interested swapping our 49th pick for their 39th, and our 6th and 7th round picks for both of their 4th rounders. That would give us 9 picks in the top 140. I like that... It fits pretty well with the draft chart value (not that it matters). The Bears get to move up and take their player, while we can move down and still snag Smith or Edmunds. They don't lose any picks. We don't gain any, but we move up 10 spots in the 2nd and significantly in the later rounds. 
This would also give Ballard a more comfortable opportunity moving back with the 36/37 picks, if he wanted (I'm assuming he is interested)

I dont think that the Bears will trade

They could use a LB, and or a guard. (One of these will be avalable)

The ONLY spot, that I see them trading for is Barkley, which MIGHT be available even at 8

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont think that the Bears will trade

They could use a LB, and or a guard. (One of these will be avalable)

The ONLY spot, that I see them trading for is Barkley, which MIGHT be available even at 8

I don't see how Barkley makes it to 8. If he does, there are at least 3 teams including the Indianapolis Colts that deserve new General Managers... The precedent of top running backs the last several drafts has been set. You take Barkley, you get a top tiered runningback immediately and the results that come with him.

With that said, I dont think the Bears offer jack for this pick. They spent a lot to ensure they got Trubinsky last year, and a lot of fans were very sour about it. It may prove to be a good move in the future, but it didn't last year for sure. I dont think Ballard trades with them either, seeing they might seriously want Smith and that could be a conflict. I think we stay put unless someone offers something silly draft day. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 4:01 PM, horseshoecrabs said:

He already stated he doesn’t want to go below 10. Unless there are QB’s at 6 left we will draft at 6. 

On 4/14/2018 at 10:18 PM, MTC said:

Here's what I think:

I’m hoping:

A. - Chubb is there and they grab him and go Oline and LB in 2nd round.

B - If Chubb is gone, they trade with Buffalo and get 12 & 22 (& another pick) 

• Like 1

I’ve watched the Browns accumulate high picks over the last several years; they were 1-31 in last two.  At some point, you need actual players and not the dream of top players in the name of a draft pick; I don’t value additional picks in future drafts so much.  A pick next year will not make this year’s roster.  I’m not against trading down if the board falls a certain way, but I don’t want to trade down for the sake of future “potential.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I’m hoping:

A. - Chubb is there and they grab him and go Oline and LB in 2nd round.

B - If Chubb is gone, they trade with Buffalo and get 12 & 22 (& another pick) 

I am just as happy with A ( I like Edmunds, but Chubb would be much needed)

I really doubt that the 4th QB makes it to our spot.....

On 4/14/2018 at 9:18 PM, MTC said:

Here's what I think:

I wouldn't count Nelson out of that list too if available at 6. Unless they get a very good deal to move down and still get Smith. Nelson would instantly change the OL for the better. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 10:18 PM, MTC said:

Here's what I think:

I agree, if we can't take Chubb or Nelson at 6, moving to Chicago's spot for Roquan would be a good move.

6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I wouldn't count Nelson out of that list too if available at 6. Unless they get a very good deal to move down and still get Smith. Nelson would instantly change the OL for the better. 

Ballard mentioned how the depth at guard is quite strong in a few interviews. I get the sense he won't take Nelson, but I could be wrong. 

I don't get the Bears talk. They likely would target the same players we would be targeting....ER, LB, OL. I get they would want to move ahead of TB an us because we all have similar needs but I don't like moving back because they would likely take our guy. IMO this is just red meat for the Chicago market to get them to click.

According to Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com, the Colts are still looking for another trade from No. 6 that can land them even more picks in the draft.

The Colts’ roster is in bad shape and many around the league expect them to trade down from the No. 6 spot to gain more draft picks. As you’ll recall, Indianapolis traded down from the No. 3 spot in a deal with the Jets last month. I would keep an eye on teams like the Bills and Cardinals as potential trade partners should their quarterback of choice make it to Indy’s pick at No. 6.

I do believe that Ballard is looking to possibly trade down again, however, I don't think he will trade down past a certain point. As much as he wants more picks, he won't pass on the opportunity to take an impact player at the top of the draft.

• Like 1

I'm not a GM and I don't play one on tv. However, I dislike the idea of trading down again.

At some point, you need high impact players. When we had the #3 pick we were guaranteed one. At #6 it is likely. I don't want to move from "guaranteed" to "likely" to.... "maybe?" Or, to put it another way, to go from being nearly certain we would get Barkley or Chubb to hopeful that Nelson or Chubb (by some miracle) would be the choice to.... someone not nearly as certain as one of those three is not appealing to me.

• Like 1