Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich Rejects the Notion of a Rebuild

NannyMcafee

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, if we don't have enough draft capital from previous years to build upon, you have to rebuild. The rest is all semantics and spin doctoring. :) 

i think we're re-tooling, not rebuilding. Rebuilding is when you completely dismantle something and put it together with all new parts.  Re-tooling is keeping the good tools but getting rid of the junk/broken tools. :monkeydance:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i think we're re-tooling, not rebuilding. Rebuilding is when you completely dismantle something and put it together with all new parts.  Re-tooling is keeping the good tools but getting rid of the junk/broken tools. :monkeydance:

Of course, the elephant in the room is Andrew Luck and the semantics vary based on him :). (Hey liberals, how about that, no one says donkey in the room :thmup:)

We are going bonkers with animal emojis and references here. :) 

• Like 2

Is it possible to be in rebuilding mode in the NFL?  It isn't like the NBA or MLB, where you have developmental leagues and minors to develop young talent.  It makes no difference if you're the #1 pick or a UDFA, you're thrown to the wolves in a 16 game short season in the NFL.  I think you're either competitive or you're not in the NFL. 

The ten teams with the most roster turnover last year included the Rams, Vikings, Cowboys, Jags, Packers, Ravens, Bills...  and teams like the 49ers (https://overthecap.com/roster-turnover-2017-number-10-1/). 

So were the conference championship teams listed above in rebuilding mode?  They turned over their roster at a higher rate than most others.  The 49ers fit the mold, sure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Well, if we don't have enough draft capital from previous years to build upon, you have to rebuild. The rest is all semantics and spin doctoring. :) 

Agreed. I mean when you turn over like 90% of your roster that is a rebuild. The only reason he is saying that it's not is because of the negative connotations of that term. Fans don't want to hear that because they think of several year process and sucking. If we are retooling then we basically bought a whole new craftsman work bench as this team has been turned over more than the farmers field down the road.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Is it possible to be in rebuilding mode in the NFL?  It isn't like the NBA or MLB, where you have developmental leagues and minors to develop young talent.  It makes no difference if you're the #1 pick or a UDFA, you're thrown to the wolves in a 16 game short season in the NFL.  I think you're either competitive or you're not in the NFL. 

The ten teams with the most roster turnover last year included the Rams, Vikings, Cowboys, Jags, Packers, Ravens, Bills...  and teams like the 49ers (https://overthecap.com/roster-turnover-2017-number-10-1/). 

So were the conference championship teams listed above in rebuilding mode?  They turned over their roster at a higher rate than most others.  The 49ers fit the mold, sure. 

That's true. You can only carry so many players on the roster and they all have to contribute. You can stash them on the PS, but they can be taken at anytme. 

• Like 1

Rebuild?  It was never built.  

For how many years have we had one of the worst Ds and O-lines in football?  For years, you could add special teams to the list.  

Of course there's a significant difference between a flawed Polian team and the joke Grigson put on the field.  At least Polian teams could pass protect and rush the passer.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Rebuild?  It was never built.  

For how many years have we had one of the worst Ds and O-lines in football?  For years, you could add special teams to the list.  

Of course there's a significant difference between a flawed Polian team and the joke Grigson put on the field.  At least Polian teams could pass protect and rush the passer.  

Is that the joke Grigson team that went to the playoffs 3 years on the bounce. Haters forget the good times, as they revel in the bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Of course, the elephant in the room is Andrew Luck and the semantics vary based on him :). (Hey liberals, how about that, no one says donkey in the room :thmup:)

We are going bonkers with animal emojis and references here. :) 

We are suppose to keep politics out of the threads, but I couldn't let this pass. How does being liberal automatically make you a democrat?

• Like 1

It’s funny; last year, Eagles fan’s expectations ranged from 4-12 to 16-0 and a Super Bowl win.

I thought they’d be somewhere around 9-7 or 10-6 and thought those projecting a Super Bowl win were just being unreasonable. 

I understand the National Media (ESPN rankings) seeing the Colts as they would the Browns and 49ers (void of talent). 

They don’t take into account that players like Luck, Geathers, Swoope, Mewhort, Turbin and Hooker will be returning. To be honest, I don’t understand fans neglecting that fact and I ESPECIALLY don’t understand local writers neglecting that. 

What we saw last year were (in many cases), backups playing.

A good draft, a couple of key FAs for competition and depth and the return of the aforementioned wounded and the Colts can be in the playoffs in 2018.

Crazy things can happen in a short time in the NFL. Just ask an Eagles fan.

• Like 2

Aside from Luck and his status is unknown, as it stands, this roster isn't good. 

Is there a game changer on Defense? TY is cool, then what on offense?

If we're not in rebuild, then it's bottomsville. We'd better be rebuilding, no offense, coach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Aside from Luck and his status is unknown, as it stands, this roster isn't good. 

If we're not in rebuild, then it's bottomsville. We'd better be rebuilding, no offense, coach.

Coaching will play a big part in creating that game changer you speak of. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yes, truly. I've been watching this stuff for many decades and it never changes. It also never makes much difference in the results at the end of the year. I would say, though, that getting Andrew back skews things a bit.

I think it was the perfect storm of things that went wrong for us. Lost our starting QB, had a massive amount of lost time injuries to starters, had ineffectual and predictable schemes and game plans....and poor in game coaching. We still won 4 with a real chance to win another 3. 

Call it whatever you want, but this team could make a huge turnaround in the win column. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

We've actually lost part of the little talent we had, Hankins, Melvin, Moncreif, Mingo, Gore without yet adequately replacing them.

So imo, we're in 'tear down' mode.

I like those moves. I believe CB thinks he can approximate Hankins' production with the combination of Grover Stewart and Hassan Ridgeway for much less $$. Moncrief and Mingo are inconsistent at best. Melvin and the team will be better off if he is in a press coverage scheme. They know what they had there.  

44 minutes ago, bleevit said:

I like those moves. I believe CB thinks he can approximate Hankins' production with the combination of Grover Stewart and Hassan Ridgeway for much less $$. Moncrief and Mingo are inconsistent at best. Melvin and the team will be better off if he is in a press coverage scheme. They know what they had there.  

I respectfully disagree.

Mingo was good quality depth, doesn't he preach competition at all positions?

Losing Moncreif is no big deal if he would have replaced him with someone better to compliment and help take coverage away from TY. Grant doesn't.

And our WR corps is extremely thin and untalented outside of TY.

I doubt Grover & Ridgeway will be as solid as Hankins. Cutting him was a monetary move that wasn't necessary because we have plenty of cap space.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

He has to have this mind set and then also convey that to his team. He also has to instill that trust and confidence. You wouldnt want him telling his guys they stink and should just enjoy some of that money they make. You watch, this season is going to be like the football version of the movie Major League. :)

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I respectfully disagree.

Mingo was good quality depth, doesn't he preach competition at all positions?

Losing Moncreif is no big deal if he would have replaced him with someone better to compliment and help take coverage away from TY. Grant doesn't.

And our WR corps is extremely thin and untalented outside of TY.

I doubt Grover & Ridgeway will be as solid as Hankins. Cutting him was a monetary move that wasn't necessary because we have plenty of cap space.

I was hoping to keep Mingo as well... but not a huge loss.

Moncrief for Grant is at worst a wash.

I don't think the Hankins release was about money. Yes they saved money by releasing him, but that wasn't the driving force.  I believe they really didn't see him as part of their plans .. they tried to trade him and there were no takers so they released a player they didn't intend to utilize in time to get the cap savings.  I think if Eberflus or Reich had wanted to retain him Ballard would not have cut him.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, esmort said:

I was hoping to keep Mingo as well... but not a huge loss.

Moncrief for Grant is at worst a wash.

I don't think the Hankins release was about money. Yes they saved money by releasing him, but that wasn't the driving force.  I believe they really didn't see him as part of their plans .. they tried to trade him and there were no takers so they released a player they didn't intend to utilize in time to get the cap savings.  I think if Eberflus or Reich had wanted to retain him Ballard would not have cut him.

Actually none of them were a huge loss. I mean we're not in win now mode anyway so it doesn't really make a difference if we kept them or not.

I really would have liked to have replaced Moncreif with a better Wr though. Robinson or Watkins or Richardson or even Pryor wouldn't have been bad. And a good Wr from draft along with TY and Grant and Ebon and our passing game would have been fun to watch.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

This is what I’ve been saying .... rebuild requires you to start at QB and build around them IMO

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Actually none of them were a huge loss. I mean we're not in win now mode anyway so it doesn't really make a difference if we kept them or not.

I really would have liked to have replaced Moncreif with a better Wr though. Robinson or Watkins or Richardson or even Pryor wouldn't have been bad. And a good Wr from draft along with TY and Grant and Ebon and our passing game would have been fun to watch.

We have 9 other WRs on the roster that no one talks about.

Adam 6-1 189 2yr

Anderson 6-2 190 1yr

Brent 6-3 202 1yr

Hogan 6-3 222 2yr

Jones 6-3 200 1yr

Liggons 6-1 210 1yr

Listenbee 6-0 183 1yr

Smelter 6-2 227 2yr

Wright 6-0 203 4yr

There was a reason these guys were signed.

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

So does a whole dismantle and the total rebuild of the coaching staff count as part of the team?

I think it counts maybe even more than some members of the roster. It is something not too many talk about but there are a lot of ifs in this coaching staff.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, csmopar said:

Most of our tools are junk. 

Coach Frank is right...'rebuild' is a built in excuse if you go 8-8.

.....you have to be looking to be a playoff team every year if you have the QB...and we do..

Besides, , other than Mr. Irsay, a lot of folks talking about a 'rebuild'; wont still be here if it takes 2 or 3 years.

Translated:? If we don't make the playoffs the next 2 years..we'll have a new GM and coach..and they both know it.

Edited by oldunclemark

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, dgambill said:

Agreed. I mean when you turn over like 90% of your roster that is a rebuild. The only reason he is saying that it's not is because of the negative connotations of that term. Fans don't want to hear that because they think of several year process and sucking. If we are retooling then we basically bought a whole new craftsman work bench as this team has been turned over more than the farmers field down the road.

That's some real down home Indiana phrase-ology there...dg!!!

Edited by oldunclemark
spell
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Coach Frank is right...'rebuild' is a built in excuse if you go 8-8.

.....you have to be looking to be a playoff team every year if you have the QB...and we do..

Besides, , other than Mr. Irsay, a lot of folks talking about a 'rebuild'; wont still be here if it takes 2 or 3 years.

Translated:? If we don't make the playoffs the next 2 years..we'll have a new GM and coach..and they both know it.

Irsay isnt going to fire a coach after 2 yrs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Irsay isnt going to fire a coach after 2 yrs.

Please. He will after no playoffs.....in 2 or 3 years......that's the NFL

Pagano missed the playoffs 3 years..Irsay said he liked him and the GM still fired him

When you have the QB in place? ..3 years - no playoffs - better submit you resume to ESPN

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Pagano missed the playoffs 3 years..Irsay said he liked him and the GM still fired him

When you have the QB in place? ..3 years - no playoffs - better submit you resume to ESPN

3 yrs maybe, 2 I highly doubt.....especially when the man himself this was going to be a 3 yr rebuild.  

Irsay gave a buffoon like Pagano 6 freakin yrs even when it was evident early on he was in over his head. Reich will get at least 3 unless the team is an utter disaster.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Not trying to beat a Dead Horse....

But....

No one knows for sure yet that we have our quarterback in place.   We THINK we do, but we don't KNOW that we do.   And we likely won't know for sure until Luck starts all 16 games and gets through the season saying hus arm feels good. 

Ballard will get a minimum of three more years because he inherited someone else's mess.   

On 29.3.2018 at 10:58 PM, The Fish said:

If your questions are for the right now, I say no. No game changers on defense, and lact of game changers on offense.

But right now is right now, and things can change very quickly. I believe Hooker is a game changer in the making. I think Wilson will be waay better than most expect. I think Anderson is still a hidden gem, who was unlucky so far in his carreer, but now he has the potential for a huge breakout season. (In his 3-4 games befose his injury last year he was fantastic. I hope he can build on that.) Geather's is a risky bet because of his history of injuries, but if he can stay healthy, I believe he can be one of the better strong safeties in the league.

On the offense, I think Doyle is an undervalued assett to this offense. And our oline - altough far from being elite - is not as bad as it looked last year. Injuries decimated them. Having 6 people starting at center tells everything. If they (well, most of them) can stay healthy, I can imagine a nice jump in on field performance. 

If Ballard can find a good #2 WR (Meredith, maybe trading for Martavis Bryant, or drafting a guy who fits), and can find a Hunt / Howard / Kamara - which is not impossible with such many picks and soo many good RB prospects, I think there is a realistic chance that we will see a number of game changers on both defense and offense by the end of the season.