Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Schefter reporting campbell is the favorite

Indeee

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

According to Greg Cosell Frank Reich is incredibly knowledgeable with both depth and breadth of his Xs and Os expertise. The question with him is not his knowledge, it's how whether or not he's a good playcaller because he's never done it before. 

I can live with that ... I am not dead set on the HC calling the plays, but being a integral part of game planning and being able to give useful input, observations, and direction to the OC/playcaller will work.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

According to Greg Cosell Frank Reich is incredibly knowledgeable with both depth and breadth of his Xs and Os expertise. The question with him is not his knowledge, it's whether or not he's a good playcaller because he's never done it before. 

Frank Reich did call the plays for San Diego in 2014-2015

10 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

Do you consider John Harbaugh to be an X and O guy?  Mike Tomlin?  Those are two examples of coaches that let the coordinators do their thing but are both leaders and steer the ship.  If Campbell were to be the guy then this is the set up the Colts would be shooting for, this situation could work with two really good coordinators.

The thing about this setup is successful coordinators frequently get poached.  If your HC doesn't have a strategic/schematic identity of his own and the ability to get your new coordinators up to speed on how things work than you are overly reliant on your coordinators and the team suffers from a lack of continuity, and/or the Qb is forced to learn a new system that may or may not work.

14 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

Do you consider John Harbaugh to be an X and O guy?  Mike Tomlin?  Those are two examples of coaches that let the coordinators do their thing but are both leaders and steer the ship.  If Campbell were to be the guy then this is the set up the Colts would be shooting for, this situation could work with two really good coordinators.

But a coach should never have to rely on the coordinators. What happens if they get HC offers? The Eagles are going to be fine if Reich leaves. Pederson is an offensive guru. The Pats are going to be fine without Patricia because B.B. is the defensive mastermind. Reid will be fine without Nagy.

I don’t want a guy who doesn’t have great knowledge on either side side of the ball and just piggyback’s on his coordinators. That gets old and exposed quick. You bought up Harbaugh and that’s a perfect example. Won a SB but the Ravens have been mediocre since.

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Frank Reich did call the plays for San Diego in 2014-2015

Did he? I thought McCoy was calling the plays. I stand corrected if that's the case ... I just checked SD's stats from that time. Their offense was not great (about middle of the pack - 10th in DVOA in 2014 and 15th in 2015) but it definitely wasn't the reason those Chargers teams didn't perform up to standard. 

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

But a coach should never have to rely on the coordinators. What happens if they get HC offers? The Eagles are going to be fine if Reich leaves. Pederson is an offensive guru. The Pats are going to be fine without Patricia because B.B. is the defensive mastermind. Reid will be fine without Nagy.

I don’t want a guy who doesn’t have great knowledge on either side side of the ball and just piggyback’s on his coordinators. That gets old and exposed quick. You bought up Harbaugh and that’s a perfect example. Won a SB but the Ravens have been mediocre since.

What? The HC relies on the coordinators as that is why they are there.  You replace the coordinators with other coordinators that run same or similar systems.  Harbaugh has one thing Reid doesn't-SB ring.  I will take a Harbaugh type run from the new coach.  I will definately take a Tomlin type run with the new coach.  Mike Martz was an offensive genius as was Norv Turner; Gregg Williams and Rex Ryan were great defensive minds and all of these guys were not great head coaches.   A great head coach can come from anywhere with any background.  Don't sell a guy short because he doesn't fit your notion of where great coaches come from.

25 minutes ago, esmort said:

The thing about this setup is successful coordinators frequently get poached.  If your HC doesn't have a strategic/schematic identity of his own and the ability to get your new coordinators up to speed on how things work than you are overly reliant on your coordinators and the team suffers from a lack of continuity, and/or the Qb is forced to learn a new system that may or may not work.

That is rubbish; Tomlin was a 4-3 guy and what type of defense does Pitt run?  Harbaugh worked under Reid who ran a West Cost offense and 4-3 but the Ravens were a Coryell team then a West Coast and a hybrid 3-4.  There are always qualified coaches that would work in the systems you currently have on your team.  The trick is hiring them.  At one point all of these top coordinators weren't top coordinators.

54 minutes ago, stitches said:

According to Greg Cosell Frank Reich is incredibly knowledgeable with both depth and breadth of his Xs and Os expertise. The question with him is not his knowledge, it's whether or not he's a good playcaller because he's never done it before. 

and I don't get why this is such a hangup for so many people.  Not all head coaches do the playcalling on their side of the ball.  Most, in fact, do not.  Reich could be hired as HC and Bevell as OC...Bevell has experience calling plays. 

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

and I don't get why this is such a hangup for so many people.  Not all head coaches do the playcalling on their side of the ball.  Most, in fact, do not.  Reich could be hired as HC and Bevell as OC...Bevell has experience calling plays. 

That is my take as well, in fact there are a lot of coaches that can't really pull that off very well. 

24 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

That is rubbish; Tomlin was a 4-3 guy and what type of defense does Pitt run?  Harbaugh worked under Reid who ran a West Cost offense and 4-3 but the Ravens were a Coryell team then a West Coast and a hybrid 3-4.  There are always qualified coaches that would work in the systems you currently have on your team.  The trick is hiring them.  At one point all of these top coordinators weren't top coordinators.

I didn't say it wasn't possible. But I would rather have a coach who had high football intelligence. I just thinks it makes for a better team and transitions easier. I am working off the same lack of info as everyone else, and from the things I have read and watched on Campbell I don't get the feel that he is the guy that's going to go win chess matches against the best. He feels like a "hyped up" version of Chuck Pagano to me.

19 minutes ago, J@son said:

16 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

That is my take as well, in fact there are a lot of coaches that can't really pull that off very well. 

I don't care if he actually calls the plays, but I would like him to be able be a big part of scheming and game planning; and also have the ability to suggest in game adjustments and provide intelligent observations to the OC. And again that is not the vibe I get from Campbell.

1 minute ago, esmort said:

I don't care if he actually calls the plays, but I would like him to be able be a big part of scheming and game planning; and also have the ability to suggest in game adjustments and provide intelligent observations to the OC. And again that is not the vibe I get from Campbell.

I agree.  I'm pretty sure the person i was responding to was talking about Reich though, but I could be wrong.  What you said you prefer are things that have been said that Reich has been very good at and instrumental with in Philly.  He's my choice for now.  After that I guess I would prefer Campbell over Frazier.

I'd prefer Reich, but I wouldn't mind a look of Campbell at HC, Bevell at OC and Floos at DC.

Ballard talked about the importance of his coach creating a strong staff. I wonder if Campbell would be able to do that. Guys seem to like working with him, and I think they could maybe make something work with an OC/DC combo like above. Especially with Bevell who has play calling experience. Campbell is still young. Maybe he'll develop a stronger ability to game plan and adjust with time. Or maybe not. We'll see.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Did he? I thought McCoy was calling the plays. I stand corrected if that's the case ... I just checked SD's stats from that time. Their offense was not great (about middle of the pack - 10th in DVOA in 2014 and 15th in 2015) but it definitely wasn't the reason those Chargers teams didn't perform up to standard. 

Right. The Eagles play calling was great this year, but that was Pederson.

I do not remember how the Chargers offensive play calling was in 2014 and 2015. And the Colts did not play the Chargers in either of those two seasons.

Also, even though Reich did call the plays then... Those were McCoy's plays. Who knows what play book Reich would devise now?

So we can't really say how good Reich would be in that department? We can only guess.

33 minutes ago, esmort said:

I didn't say it wasn't possible. But I would rather have a coach who had high football intelligence. I just thinks it makes for a better team and transitions easier. I am working off the same lack of info as everyone else, and from the things I have read and watched on Campbell I don't get the feel that he is the guy that's going to go win chess matches against the best. He feels like a "hyped up" version of Chuck Pagano to me.

I think Campbell is getting labeled as a meathead and I really do not think that is fair.  Campbell has got high football intelligence or he wouldn't be were he is today.  I want a coach that creates a winning environment and holds players accountable.  I want a leader first and foremost.  Without buy in, high football intelligence means nothing.  Trestman has a very high football acumen but he couldn't lead which is why he failed in Chicago.  In my opinion, Chuck didn't hold his players accountable enough.  There are successes and failures on both sides of this coin and to some degree could be a chicken or the egg argument.  I just prefer to have a "leader of men" as the leading characteristic of a HC.  The Xs and Os are extremely important but execution is always paramount which is where accountability comes in to play.

I'm not so much concerned with whether or not he can call plays or intimidate our ILB if he commits a personal foul. I just want a coach who

a) Can call a timeout at the right time

b) Make halftime and in game adjustments to win a game

c) Can manage a game without making me scratch my head at what he is doing

d) Doesn't call a 2 man Special teams play

e) Doesn't chop wood

Find me that guy and I will be happy

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

So Harbaugh relying on his coordinators is why the Ravens have been mediocre?  It's probably because they lost a lot of talent including two first ballot hall of famers....and joe flacco stopped playing over his head.

I'm not endorsing Campbell, but guys like Jimmy Johnson, bill Cowher, Tom coughlin, Bill Parcells are more culture building guys than masters of X's and O's.

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Right. The Eagles play calling was great this year, but that was Pederson.

I do not remember how the Chargers offensive play calling was in 2014 and 2015. And the Colts did not play the Chargers in either of those two seasons.

Also, even though Reich did call the plays then... Those were McCoy's plays. Who knows what play book Reich would devise now?

So we can't really say how good Reich would be in that department? We can only guess.

Well, McCoy fired Reich so evidently he wasn't overly impressed. 

10 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't assume that.  I am just looking at a guy who has never been a coordinator before.

You have to admit that hiring someone who has never been a coordinator before is at least highly unusual.

It's unusual but it doesn't bother me. How many of these "hot" coordinators bust out? Sean Payton hired the guy as his assistant HC...not Pete Carmichael, not Dennis Allen.

17 hours ago, BOTT said:

Why does everyone assume Campbell is just a big, loud meathead? YouTube? Because he works out? Venturi?

17 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Probably because nobody have gone forward and told how he has a very bright football mind or something to that effect, all we are hearing is he is a leader of men. :dunno:

That's exactly it for me. I've read a lot about him, and he has some good qualities, but mostly it's just 'the players relate to him,' or some version of that. He took over in Miami, and rearranged the lockers in the locker room and took down the motivational posters in the weight room. Awesome. They still went 5-7.

What I haven't heard is that he's good schematically, that he knows how to manage the clock, knows when to go for it on 4th down, knows when to double team a hot receiver, how to counter a second half adjustment from his opponent, is able to prepare his team on a weekly basis, can come up with matchup specific game plans, etc. 

I'm not reducing him to just being a big, loud meathead, and I haven't heard anything Venturi has said about him, but I don't get the feeling that he's the guy who will keep his team performing at a high level every game. 

6 hours ago, Dilger85 said:

What? The HC relies on the coordinators as that is why they are there.  You replace the coordinators with other coordinators that run same or similar systems.  Harbaugh has one thing Reid doesn't-SB ring.  I will take a Harbaugh type run from the new coach.  I will definately take a Tomlin type run with the new coach.  Mike Martz was an offensive genius as was Norv Turner; Gregg Williams and Rex Ryan were great defensive minds and all of these guys were not great head coaches.   A great head coach can come from anywhere with any background.  Don't sell a guy short because he doesn't fit your notion of where great coaches come from.

Also it seems we are conflicted if we need either a Dungy; does not need to yell to command respect because he speaks and acts with conviction, knowledge, truth, and heart, or a Cowher; in your face, fire, grit, maybe a little spit, commands respect type. All are great and to an extent necessary attributes of any leader. Our choices are not plentiful so nor should our expectations be.

9 hours ago, Superman said:

That's exactly it for me. I've read a lot about him, and he has some good qualities, but mostly it's just 'the players relate to him,' or some version of that. He took over in Miami, and rearranged the lockers in the locker room and took down the motivational posters in the weight room. Awesome. They still went 5-7.

What I haven't heard is that he's good schematically, that he knows how to manage the clock, knows when to go for it on 4th down, knows when to double team a hot receiver, how to counter a second half adjustment from his opponent, is able to prepare his team on a weekly basis, can come up with matchup specific game plans, etc. 

I'm not reducing him to just being a big, loud meathead, and I haven't heard anything Venturi has said about him, but I don't get the feeling that he's the guy who will keep his team performing at a high level every game. 

For the most part those same questions could be asked of Reich. 

19 hours ago, indyprosports1 said:

After seeing this, I don't think I would mind this guy. Total opposite of Pags in mindset and appearance. He might be the tough guy CB is looking for and a guy who guys would walk through a wall for. You never know, but the more I see of this guy the more I like him

He's talking my language. It all starts up front. 

23 hours ago, BOTT said:

Well, McCoy fired Reich so evidently he wasn't overly impressed. 

McCoy was on the hot seat and had to make staff changes. It didn't help that the Chargers run game was terrible and Gordon looked like a bust. 

12 hours ago, BOTT said:

For the most part those same questions could be asked of Reich. 

The difference, for me, is that Reich doesn't come across as a guy who will struggle in these areas. JMO, Campbell does. 

Admittedly, part of my draw to Reich is his experience with E-P guys. I assume he would install the kind of offense I have been wanting. I also believe he would bring a good play caller and QB coach with him.

The questions about ability to handle the gameplan, adjustments, game/clock management, etc., will be there. Knowing Reich's background gives me some confidence that he has a solid foundation in those areas.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

McCoy was on the hot seat and had to make staff changes. It didn't help that the Chargers run game was terrible and Gordon looked like a bust. 

The difference, for me, is that Reich doesn't come across as a guy who will struggle in these areas. JMO, Campbell does. 

Admittedly, part of my draw to Reich is his experience with E-P guys. I assume he would install the kind of offense I have been wanting. I also believe he would bring a good play caller and QB coach with him.

The questions about ability to handle the gameplan, adjustments, game/clock management, etc., will be there. Knowing Reich's background gives me some confidence that he has a solid foundation in those areas.

The scary part about FR is the only time he ran an O by himself it was not spectacular 

7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The scary part about FR is the only time he ran an O by himself it was not spectacular 

The passing game was okay, the run game was bad. Their OL was injured beyond recognition, Keenan Allen went down, etc. 

I assume he'd bring a coordinator with him, so he wouldn't be running the offense by himself.