Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darrell Bevell to Colts? [Merge]

Tsarquise

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bevells offense is West Coast. If he's the pick then I think it makes it more possible we go with Saquon Barkley. Add in Mack and Turbin since Turbin used to be with Bevell. West Coast run based playaction style offense. Maybe Mcdaniels wants things more similar to how Luck had it in College with some of the New England sprinkles mixed in. Luck is awesome coming off the play pass.

It’s humorous how many try to reassure themselves that regardless of whoever our OC is McDaniels will still call the plays.  We don’t  really know at this point. He will be the head coach and responsible for a lot.  He might not have time to “call all the plays anyway”.  If he does that what’s the point in even hiring an OC?  

Furthermore...was Josh McDaniels calling all the plays in Denver for Tim Tebow? If he was he sure couldn’t  magically fix that situation.  

Makes sense that the Colts would want Bevell due to the Ed Dodds connection. 

But you would think McDaniels would have his say on who he wants, especially since the offensive coordinator is such a vital part of the staff.

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I actually think Bevell is a solid OC.  Sure, he made the call to throw it at the worst possible time, but whenever I would watch the Seahawks, I thought he did a pretty good job of calling plays to get guys open.

Ya and I don’t think that play was all his fault. It was just bad execution imo. Patriots were expecting marshawn up the middle. Carroll could’ve overruled the call. Russ shouldn’t have hesitated and should’ve thrown it low. Ricardo Lockett should’ve been more aggressive getting the ball. So much went wrong and it’s unfair that people judge his whole career off this one play.

14 minutes ago, MTC said:

Makes sense that the Colts would want Bevell due to the Ed Dodds connection. 

But you would think McDaniels would have his say on who he wants, especially since the offensive coordinator is such a vital part of the staff.

Of course he has a say.  The most say if I had my guess.

If you guys remember, one of Ballard's key points about the next head coach is that he must be able to hire and assemble an excellent skilled and experienced staff. Considering that, Peetz probably doesn't meet Ballard/Irsay's requirement for a OC considering he is so young and inexperienced. I definitely think he would get the approval as a QB coach but I don't think that that would be allowed considering you would have to get permission probably.

This guy, on the other hand, has experience and has played with another really good QB in Russell Wilson and for a respectable organization in the Seahawks. 

19 minutes ago, masnerj said:

If you guys remember, one of Ballard's key points about the next head coach is that he must be able to hire and assemble an excellent skilled and experienced staff. Considering that, Peetz probably doesn't meet Ballard/Irsay's requirement for a OC considering he is so young and inexperienced. I definitely think he would get the approval as a QB coach but I don't think that that would be allowed considering you would have to get permission probably.

This guy, on the other hand, has experience and has played with another really good QB in Russell Wilson and for a respectable organization in the Seahawks. 

Bevel was also the OC for a hall of famer in Minnesota 

9 hours ago, BOTT said:

Bevel was also the OC for a hall of famer in Minnesota 

That 2009 Vikings offense with Brett Favre and Darrell Bevell may be what they want to model along with sprinkles of the concepts from New England.   Bevell has had 2 great backs in Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson.  If he comes here I think they may look harder at picking Saquon Barkley.  Of course I prefer Chubb and I hope it goes that way, but who knows.

23 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Was the oline terrible or does Wilson make it look bad?  He constantly takes off running despite having a clean pocket probably because he can’t see over the oline.  

The O-Line is legitimately bad, even worse than the Colts, which is saying something.

I wouldn't be opposed to this. He's better than Peetz, at least. Bevell has a solid period of work. The Seahawks O went to crap after Lynch left and the Jimmy Graham trade. You can't blame him for a crappy O-Line and Lynch. I'd also assume McDaniels is calling the plays too.

23 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The O-Line was definitely terrible. One of the few worse than ours. They traded their C in the Jimmy Graham trade and it still hurts them today. Wilson is a mobile QB, so he's able to run for plenty of yards as well as throw accurately on the move. That's why he's so good. Luck holds on to the ball too long, but doesn't run with the ball nearly as well when he is pressured. He gets sacked a lot, and has gotten injured. Wilson is probably more accurate (just guessing), and he tends to keep the Seahawks ahead in games as Luck is playing come from behind. 

Right now Wilson has gotten the job done (good defense or not). People will argue Luck has had a horrible defense and no running game, but he was the most hyped pick in the NFL draft since John Elway and Wilson was a 3rd rounder, so Luck has the pressure and he should be better. I don't think either are Elite, but Wilson has done his job and Luck hasn't, and that's what matters.

Since I live in the pacific NW I get to see a lot of Seattle games and I would agree.  Wilson gets the job done.  He has gotten a little to attached to running backward in circles and needs to limit this, but one of his strengths is his allusiveness and ability to throw accurately on the run.  And if he decides not to throw and keeps running he can kill defenses.  One of the few in the league that has continued to use his running successfully as a weapon.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Lol, Holder doesn't know anything

So you don't think McDaniels will call his own plays? Or is this just a "even if he does Holder wouldn't know" statement?

Personally I think it could be a mix of both, McDaniels and whoever the OC is, but mostly McDaniels.

41 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

So you don't think McDaniels will call his own plays? Or is this just a "even if he does Holder wouldn't know" statement?

Personally I think it could be a mix of both, McDaniels and whoever the OC is, but mostly McDaniels.

It's a general statement that Holder is the king of maybe, perhaps, and "just saying" 

He never has (or has had) insider information. 

5 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

It's a general statement that Holder is the king of maybe, perhaps, and "just saying" 

He never has (or has had) insider information. 

Can't disagree with that. Holder also loves to pull the "I knew it all along" bit, most recently with Peetz being likely out as OC. "I heard a rumor on this a week ago..." is a very common statement from him after a rumor surfaces.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

That 2009 Vikings offense with Brett Favre and Darrell Bevell may be what they want to model along with sprinkles of the concepts from New England.   Bevell has had 2 great backs in Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson.  If he comes here I think they may look harder at picking Saquon Barkley.  Of course I prefer Chubb and I hope it goes that way, but who knows.

I don't think that would impact there interest in Barkley at all.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

It's not like he had any say in the drafting of Peterson or Lynch....they were already on the roster.

So zero chance he wouldn't want that for his scheme here?   I don't buy that.  They still played large roles in what he was able to accomplish.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

So zero chance he wouldn't want that for his scheme here?   I don't buy that.  They still played large roles in what he was able to accomplish.

I'm sure Bevell would want a good RB, I don't think he'd be asking the coach and GM to spend a first rounder on a RB. The Seahawks got Lynch for a 4th and a 5th, before Bevell got there. It's a stretch, at best, to think that Bevell influences Ballard's draft strategy.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm sure he would want a running game, but I don't buy he would influence Ballard enough to draft a rb at 3.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm sure Bevell would want a good RB, I don't think he'd be asking the coach and GM to spend a first rounder on a RB. The Seahawks got Lynch for a 4th and a 5th, before Bevell got there. It's a stretch, at best, to think that Bevell influences Ballard's draft strategy.

I'm sure Ballard consults with his coaches.   He has said as much already. I don't think it's a stretch that he'd pitch Ballard on Barkley at all.  Obviously Ballard will do what he thinks best.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I'm sure he would want a running game, but I don't buy he would influence Ballard enough to draft a rb at 3.

We don't really know if that's not already what he's thinking.    But yes I agree his suggestion alone would not be enough for Ballard to make the pick.   Of course

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm sure Ballard consults with his coaches.   He has said as much already. I don't think it's a stretch that he'd pitch Ballard on Barkley at all.  Obviously Ballard will do what he thinks best.

What I'm saying is I think Ballard's counter would be 'Bev, you guys got Lynch for a 4th and a 5th, that shows why we don't need to spend a 1st on Barkley.' 

On 2/4/2018 at 12:32 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

It’s humorous how many try to reassure themselves that regardless of whoever our OC is McDaniels will still call the plays.  We don’t  really know at this point. He will be the head coach and responsible for a lot.  He might not have time to “call all the plays anyway”.  If he does that what’s the point in even hiring an OC?  

Furthermore...was Josh McDaniels calling all the plays in Denver for Tim Tebow? If he was he sure couldn’t  magically fix that situation.  

Doug Pederson and Andy Reid call their own plays, seems like a no-brainer we'd ask the same of McDaniels. It would kind of defeat the purpose of bringing him in otherwise.

As for Bevell, he was a rising star for a while, then fell off, coincidentally, right when the Seahawks running game started to disappear. I've liked a lot about his offense, but he seemed to struggle with transitioning the offense to feature Russell Wilson, as compared with featuring the run game more. And their OL went from serviceable to awful over the span of three seasons.

I don't really see him as a fit with McDaniels. They're from two different offensive worlds, they speak a different language. If they can bridge that gap -- and maybe Bevell already knows more of the language than I think he does -- that could be a good pairing.

I feel 100 times better about Bevell being the OC than I do about Jake Peetz. No offense to him, but his name came out of nowhere, he's super young and inexperienced, and doesn't seem to fit into what I was hoping would be a superstar staff. Peetz as QB coach, I'm fine with that. Wasn't thrilled with him as OC, but was willing to buy it since McDaniels will presumably be running the offense.