Darrell Bevell to Colts? [Merge]

Tsarquise

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

Hmmm, so the rumors about Peetz we're either untrue or perhaps Irsay and Ballard vetoed it during the second meeting? One with think the Vikings would be the only team of those three where he would actually call the plays.

Or Peetz is to be QB coach?

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

This tweet is weirdly worded. Has he emerged as a top target for the Colts? Or for the vacated OC in New England? 

Both would be odd. I would suspect BB to promote someone from within who is already immersed in their system.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It is worded oddly but I think it means to the Colts.

Seahawks fans were glad to see him leave, and I wouldn't be huge on this hire, but at least McDaniels would be the one calling the plays.

Seahawks fans are nuts.

4 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It is worded weirdly but I assume it means the Colts OC job.

Seahawks fans were glad to see him leave, and I wouldn't be huge on this hire, but at least it'd still be McDaniels calling the plays.

Maybe one of the lessons JM learned was to not try to do too much.

We don't know, for sure, that he'll be his own OC.

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I’d love seeing us bring in Defillipo in as OC since he’s great at QB progression. McDaniels would still call the plays. 

Not sure I get the love for this guy. He's been OC for one yr and that was in Cleveland.  Not saying he wouldn't be good, I have no idea, but I don't get the hype around this guy.

34 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Seahawks fans are nuts.

Yeah, looking into the numbers he did a solid job there, especially around the middle of his tenure. Their struggles the past couple years could hopefully be tied to a terrible O-line and losing Beast Mode. Also got a bad rep for the SB losing play call.

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Darrell Bevell to Colts? [Merge]

Yeah, I never understoond coaches and OC's being judged on single play calls or single game's playcalling while ignoring their body of work altogether. Bevell will be a solid mind to add to our offensive planning and preparation, especially knowing it will be McDaniels who calls the plays anyways. The more high end offensive minds on staff the better. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I never understoond coaches and OC's being judged on single play calls or single game's playcalling while ignoring their body of work altogether. 

People love to use the "Wilson's always running for his life" thing too. 

But yeah I think the numbers speak for themselves, and his offense ranked pretty well throughout his time there aside from the past couple seasons. And those can hopefully be attributed to an even worse O-line than ours during that time.

7 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I actually think Bevell is a solid OC.  Sure, he made the call to throw it at the worst possible time, but whenever I would watch the Seahawks, I thought he did a pretty good job of calling plays to get guys open.

The guy who throws the ball could have decided, ya know, to not throw it.

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

People love to use the "Wilson's always running for his life" thing too. 

But yeah I think the numbers speak for themselves, and his offense ranked pretty well throughout his time there aside from the past couple seasons. And those can hopefully be attributed to an even worse O-line than ours during that time.

That's on Cable and on Wilson himself to some degree..

27 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I actually think Bevell is a solid OC.  Sure, he made the call to throw it at the worst possible time, but whenever I would watch the Seahawks, I thought he did a pretty good job of calling plays to get guys open.

I know they used roll outs and boot legs for Wilson. Its almost a crime that Pep and Chud almost never ever used Luck in boot legs or roll outs.

3 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

It gets annoying when so many posters on here argue over grammar but when a professional reporter can’t write a clear thought this is what happens.  And I haven’t seen anything where he clarifies it.  Colts or pats?  Which is it?

It's Colts

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/04/report-darrell-bevell-a-target-for-colts-offensive-coordinator-job/amp/

Remember, we have an ex Seattle front office guy now. It makes sense.  I completely disagree with the Wilson detractors though.  Everyone knows that Oline was terrible. Everyone knows our Oline was terrible.  Wilson ran for his life and made 2 Super Bowls.  Luck hung in there and look where we are. 

7 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Remember, we have an ex Seattle front office guy now. It makes sense.  I completely disagree with the Wilson detractors though.  Everyone knows that Oline was terrible. Everyone knows our Oline was terrible.  Wilson ran for his life and made 2 Super Bowls.  Luck hung in there and look where we are. 

Was the oline terrible or does Wilson make it look bad?  He constantly takes off running despite having a clean pocket probably because he can’t see over the oline.  

15 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Was the oline terrible or does Wilson make it look bad?  He constantly takes off running despite having a clean pocket probably because he can’t see over the oline.  

It's probably a bit of both. But mostly terrible O-line. Wilson indeed leaves clean pockets much more often than is necessary, but this happens when you start expecting pressure because your O-line is consistently trash. You start seeing ghosts and pressures where there are none. 

13 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

The O-Line was definitely terrible. One of the few worse than ours. They traded their C in the Jimmy Graham trade and it still hurts them today. Wilson is a mobile QB, so he's able to run for plenty of yards as well as throw accurately on the move. That's why he's so good. Luck holds on to the ball too long, but doesn't run with the ball nearly as well when he is pressured. He gets sacked a lot, and has gotten injured. Wilson is probably more accurate (just guessing), and he tends to keep the Seahawks ahead in games as Luck is playing come from behind. 

Right now Wilson has gotten the job done (good defense or not). People will argue Luck has had a horrible defense and no running game, but he was the most hyped pick in the NFL draft since John Elway and Wilson was a 3rd rounder, so Luck has the pressure and he should be better. I don't think either are Elite, but Wilson has done his job and Luck hasn't, and that's what matters.