Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano might be working very soon

BlueShoe

7 minutes ago, Jared Jammer said:

I'm pretty confident he'll get another head coaching gig if he wants it. Career winning record, and a likeable guy.

I agree. 

He might need a stop-gap though. And the Ravens need a defensive coordinator. 

I think I read somewhere back after the 2015 season (when he and Grigs got the 4 year extensions), that if the Colts let him go, a lot of teams would be lining up to try and nab him. I think after the last 2 years he's gonna need to fill in as a DC somewhere before being a HC again. BAL seems like a good fit. 

3 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I think I read somewhere back after the 2015 season (when he and Grigs got the 4 year extensions), that if the Colts let him go, a lot of teams would be lining up to try and nab him. I think after the last 2 years he's gonna need to fill in as a DC somewhere before being a HC again. BAL seems like a good fit. 

I heard the other day that the Eagles were ready to snag Pagano if we fired him, but because we kept him, they hired their #2 candidate Petersen, which ended up being a really good hire..

After his six years here, I can't really tell what sets him apart from anybody else.  Even as a defensive minded coach, our defenses were never that great.  Certainly game planning, strategy, or offensive ingenuity weren't his specialties.

I'm not sure why another team would hire him as HC anytime soon.

Pagano has two years left on his contract so I hope he's picky about who he works for.

I'd tell him to take a year off and enjoy life.

But I think he will get an offer or two to be a DC somewhere...    not sure if he wants to go back to being just a DB coach -- as good as he is at that.    

I don't see him being offered a HC job ever again.   An owner is not going to be able to sell his last three years...   no owner is stepping up before cameras and mic's to introduce 8-8, 8-8 and 4-12.     That's just not happening.

He's a lifer...    so he may want to work..   but the last two years of his contract should make for a nice retirement plan if that's what he wants.

Good luck to him whatever he decides...

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Career winning record because of Luck. What did he do without Andrew? 

But what coach outside of BB is going to succeed without their stud QB?  

I am surprised they won any games this year.  

They actually showed me they were better then I thought they were.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

That's being extreme.   You have guys like Mularkey and Doug Marrone who got second chances.    I could see Chuck getting another shot at it as well. It's not like Chuck was this complete failure.

Chuck's biggest problem to getting a 2nd shot as a head coach I think is...    timing.

If he had been fired two years ago, as everyone was expecting, I think he easily would've gotten a second chance.   Because an owner could step up and introduce his new HC who had gone 11-5, 11-5, 11-5, and 8-8 without Andrew Luck for 9 of those games.     You can introduce THAT guy.    And reportedly a number of owners told Irsay they were ready to hire Chuck and so Irsay reconsidered.

But now, two years later, what owner is going to want to introduce 8-8, 8-8, and 4-12 in the last three seasons?    That's an almost impossible sell to his fan base. 

So I think if Chuck still wants to work it's either as a DC or a position coach.

Otherwise, he can retire comfortably as he has two years left on his contract.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chuck's biggest problem to getting a 2nd shot as a head coach I think is...    timing.

If he had been fired two years ago, as everyone was expecting, I think he easily would've gotten a second chance.   Because an owner could step up and introduce his new HC who had gone 11-5, 11-5, 11-5, and 8-8 without Andrew Luck for 9 of those games.     You can introduce THAT guy.    And reportedly a number of owners told Irsay they were ready to hire Chuck and so Irsay reconsidered.

But now, two years later, what owner is going to want to introduce 8-8, 8-8, and 4-12 in the last three seasons?    That's an almost impossible sell to his fan base. 

So I think if Chuck still wants to work it's either as a DC or a position coach.

Otherwise, he can retire comfortably as he had two years left on his contract.

Yeah but what about Mularkey?  His last stop before Tenn I do believe was Jacksonville and that team ended with a similar record if not worse.   Now Mularkey had to take a lesser position with Tenn for a year or two I believe, but they eventually handed him the HC spot.   I don't believe he's any more competent than Chuck to be honest.    I could see somewhere down the line someone giving Chuck another shot.   However to clarify I don't think it will be this season definitely.

43 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Cool DGAD. Pagano is no longer a Colt. This should moved to NFL general board.

:coltslogo:

I can say as bad as it sounds I agree. Manning was pushed to the Nfl General Board so I dont think Pagano should get a pass! Good guy but no longer a Colt!

Ehh I could see him getting another head coaching shot if he does good for a couple years as a coordinator.  

Most of these guys get at least 2 shots at the top job, some even more before they are officially written off.  

His last 2 years look bad but it's not like this team was loaded with talent either.  That's on Grigs.  

On 1/1/2018 at 10:23 AM, Jared Jammer said:

I'm pretty confident he'll get another head coaching gig if he wants it. Career winning record, and a likeable guy.

I could definitely see that. He probably learned a good amount from his time in Indy, and it shouldn't be that hard to sell that to a team that's in the market for a HC.

1 hour ago, ricker182 said:

But what coach outside of BB is going to succeed without their stud QB?  

I am surprised they won any games this year.  

They actually showed me they were better then I thought they were.

Mike Zimmer. Bridgewater's been out for 2 full seasons now, and Cook went down with an ACL just a few weeks into this year, and the Vikings just keep rolling. 13-3 is pretty impressive. 

If it weren't for certain things that came in between the 2 8-8 and 4-12 seasons, Pagano could be a HC by the end of the week. What I'm referring to is the swinging gate play, the stupor that was a press conference the other day, etc. Guy's not going to live that type of stuff down for a while lol!

Also I can't believe how many good DCs are unemployed right now.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Mike Zimmer. Bridgewater's been out for 2 full seasons now, and Cook went down with an ACL just a few weeks into this year, and the Vikings just keep rolling. 13-3 is pretty impressive. 

Are we calling Teddy Bridgewater a stud QB now?

Zimmer runs a tight, efficient ship. All defensive coaches do at first but the screws bust lose after a year or 2 sometimes. Granted, that hasn't been the case with Zimmer but if he botches this quarterback situation that is alot more cut and dry than people think then he'll have a problem lol!

14 hours ago, King Colt said:

When your drivin' down the road and throw out your empty beer can did you ever turn around and go back to see where it landed?. Who cares where he goes as long as he is gone.

So is firing Chuck the equivalent of littering? Haha. I wish Chuck the best but I totally understand the sentiment.

18 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Zimmer runs a tight, efficient ship. All defensive coaches do at first but the screws bust lose after a year or 2 sometimes. Granted, that hasn't been the case with Zimmer but if he botches this quarterback situation that is alot more cut and dry than people think then he'll have a problem lol!

The person who might botch the Vikings QB situation is the GM and not the head coach.    He has to navigate between Keenum,  Bradford, and Bridgewater.

Not even sure why you'd even bring it up?   Zimmer has handled his team's QB situation with CASE FLIPPING KEENUM and doing it like a genius! 

18 hours ago, ricker182 said:

Are we calling Teddy Bridgewater a stud QB now?

I think he's calling Mike Zimmer a stud coach now.....    

The Vikings are well run and have a ton of talent.   But Zimmer and his staff have done a masterful job with some difficult circumstances and deserve a ton of credit! 

20 hours ago, Superman said:

During Sunday's game, the broadcast team said Pagano told them he was looking forward to being a position coach again. 

Really?     Interesting.....

Since I watch at a local sports bar I don't have audio so I didn't hear that.  

Great info.

Sounds like Chuck wants to work again and not take time off.  If all he wants to be is a position coach and not a DC then I'd think he'd land a job easily.    I hope he finds a job he truly likes and wants.

Good Luck to him.

If Chuck doesn't take the Baltimore job I wouldn't be surprised to see Ted Monachino get it.   I'm betting the New Colts HC probably won't keep him.   I believe Ted was getting better, but short on some parts.   I remember he is who they originally had tabbed to take over for Dean Pees.

21 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

There's been some turbulence. Norv Turner resigned abruptly, and there was a lot of noise last season. It got quickly under control, though, and Shurmur has pushed all the right buttons, IMO. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really?     Interesting.....

Since I watch at a local sports bar I don't have audio so I didn't hear that.  

Great info.

Sounds like Chuck wants to work again and not take time off.  If all he wants to be is a position coach and not a DC then I'd think he'd land a job easily.    I hope he finds a job he truly likes and wants.

Good Luck to him.

I don't remember exactly what they said, and because it was a three man team -- probably the lowest rated CBS team -- I couldn't always tell who was talking, but they said Pagano was eager to do more hands-on coaching with the players, stuff that you don't always get to do as a coordinator, and almost never as a head coach.

It stood out to me because I remember Pagano saying a couple years ago that he'd be fine retiring and going home to Iowa if he ever got fired. Seemed like he might be willing to ride off and never return, and maybe he still is, but would take the right job if it became available. 

Like you, I hope good things happen for him.