Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible mutual interest between colts and Josh Mcdaniels

CR91

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen a lot of sources that say Irsay isn't well respected around the league. I have seen plenty of writers say it, but I haven't seen an NFL player, Coach, or GM say anything bad about Irsay. Unless you can prove me wrong here, then it is pure speculation that Irsay isn't someone you want to work for. 

6 hours ago, crestmount said:

Would it be that bad if he were able to replicate the Patriots' system here?

Of course not.  The term is used around the League to dismiss the success of New England. Brady is just a system QB.  JM is just a system OC.  Pats are just a system team.

"They" say it's a copycat league.  I'm all for copying Belichick.

7 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dont know.. he has been "groomed" by the best, but last time he ventured off on his own without BB and Brady he failed miserable. One has to think he may be just another product of the Patriots system..

I can think of a few coaches who failed at their first chance of being a HC. One in particular is the gold standard. 

I guarantee u he has grown. 

1 minute ago, Samu-Rye said:

I will say the same thing I said last year. I would like to see Matt Patricia get the job. And if Arians is out in Arizona, try to get him back here as OC.

Luck would need your armor if that happens.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly a guy like Del Rio wouldn’t be bad as DC.  He did a good job in Denver before getting the Raiders job.

I followed Denver closely back then because of Manning, and all I can say I didn't like him as the Broncos DC. He forced his hybrid 4:3 on that very talented Denver defense, which was soo obviously better suited for 3-4. He made that unit just OK instead of very good. Just look what happened when Son of Bum took over. They exploded immediately.

Now, the Colts have a defense - the front being the only part which is kinda set - which has been put together for 3-4. Do you really want a guy who will force this unit to play 4-3, and otherwise OK at best? I don't.

5 hours ago, ManningGM said:

This dude is a bum and he has no place in the Colts organization. 

Toub or bust. 

McDaniels wouldn't be in my top 5, but if he is chosen I will back him 100% ! Toub ..at first I was a little sceptible until I did a little research on him, Not only a STC but was also strength and conditioning coach, OL and DL coach and played center in collage. But, What I want as a HC is more of a game manager, let the coordinators do their jobs.

35 minutes ago, Tracy Denton said:

McDaniels wouldn't be in my top 5, but if he is chosen I will back him 100% ! Toub ..at first I was a little sceptible until I did a little research on him, Not only a STC but was also strength and conditioning coach, OL and DL coach and played center in collage. But, What I want as a HC is more of a game manager, let the coordinators do their jobs.

I just got done reading about Toub . I wasn't onboard with him and I'm not fully sold but of any of the names mentioned above, I get the impression he'd be the most likely to surround himself with quality Coordinators

9 hours ago, ar7 said:

I have had doubts about McDaniels being interested in the Colts. He seems to be very selective. (which I don't blame him for) There are a few different reasons why I have been doubtful of McDaniels interested in the Colts.

- Luck's health. It's not even clear he will not need a second surgery. Plus, there is always doubt with injured players until they actually play. I have to think that Luck is a huge draw for McDaniels.

- Jim Irsay. This might be the biggest factor. The media and casual fan seem to think of him as an impulsive owner which I don't think is accurate. I don't know how Irsay is viewed within the league but it is Belichick who says how important ownership is for head coaches because it is the one thing they can't change.

- Chris Ballard. The GM/HC relationship is critical as we have seen with the Colts. Is McDaniels willing to work with someone he doesn't know very well? (i'm assuming he doesn't know Ballard that well at least)

I hope i'm wrong and McDaniels is interested though. I want the Colts to be able to hire the best guy for the job. I don't know if McDaniels is but if he is I hope the Colts get him.

While I'd be happy with McDaniels, he (and most any other candidate with options) is going to want the straight dope on Luck's health.  And what's the team going to say?  They don't have any idea if Andrew will ever play again -- let alone if he'll be ready to go by next season.

Our draft is going to tell the story.  And I would not be at all surprised to see Ballard take a QB.

I think McDaniels is an ankle-biting tag-a-long. 

He does well as a subordinate within in good system but I don't see him as a leader or a source of innovation.  NEs offense is good with or without him.  He can fine tune it maybe, but he's not the source of its success.

8 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Darth Hoodie bombed in Cleveland. So from your logic, he should have never been given the 2nd chance in New England right?

Everybody bombs in Cleveland. Josh bombed in Denver, a much more competent NFL franchise.  Let McDaniels get his second chance some where other than Indy.  

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Everybody bombs in Cleveland. Josh bombed in Denver, a much more competent NFL franchise.  Let McDaniels get his second chance some where other than Indy.  

Was it that competent when McDaniels was there remember I believe they did draft Tim Tebow in the first round.

For the record I'm not really much of a fan of McDaniels either I just thought I would point that out to be fair.

11 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Was it that competent when McDaniels was there remember I believe they did draft Tim Tebow in the first round

I don’t remember quite honestly but however bad it got it’s hard to be more mediocre than that Browns franchise. Winning in Cleveland is darn tough.  Denver is much more conducive to building a winning culture generally speaking.  I also don’t think Tim Tebow was as bad as a lot tried to make him out to be. He had some success there before the franchise abandoned ship on him for Peyton. 

I just don’t get why so many want this McDaniels dude to get a second chance so bad with OUR franchise.  What’s so great about this guy? Other than the fact that he comes from the Belichick tree which is overrated.   After six years of Pagano, we really need to minimize the question marks around the next coach we hire. 

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I don’t remember quite honestly but however bad it got it’s hard to be more mediocre than that Browns franchise. Winning in Cleveland is darn tough.  Denver is much more conducive to building a winning culture generally speaking.  I also don’t think Tim Tebow was as bad as a lot tried to make him out to be. He had some success there before the franchise abandoned ship on him for Peyton. 

I just don’t get why so many want this McDaniels dude to get a second chance so bad with our franchise.  What’s so great about this guy? Other than the fact that he comes from the Belichick tree which is overrated.   After six years of Pagano, we really need to minimize the question marks around the next coach we hire. 

And he was pretty bad a lot of the success he had could be credited to the defense.  He couldn't even complete 50% of his passes with the Same by receivers that Peyton Manning set offensive records with 2 years later.  He couldn't seem to ever do anything until the 4th quarter and that was only because the defense was able to keep the team in the game. I believe that defense is the reason Peyton chose Denver.

I agree with you I don't see what's so great about McDaniels.  I'd rather have Pat Schumer or Frank Wreight.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

This article says nothing about Mcdaniels having any mutual interest or the Colts being at the top of Mcdaniels list. Or Mcdaniels being at the top of the Colts list. All this guy is doing is connecting dots and making assumptions. Because of this that and the third "I think this job would be appealing to Josh Mcdaniels". "If you look at what the rumors say Chris Ballard was asking about Mcdaniels" boom there you have it. "Mutual Interest"! Honestly if you look at the supposed criteria he listed for Mcdaniels more than one team could fit that. There was nothing specific about the Colts.

He's getting interviewed. He's in the Colts top 2 or 3 choices. 

2 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

I followed Denver closely back then because of Manning, and all I can say I didn't like him as the Broncos DC. He forced his hybrid 4:3 on that very talented Denver defense, which was soo obviously better suited for 3-4. He made that unit just OK instead of very good. Just look what happened when Son of Bum took over. They exploded immediately.

Now, the Colts have a defense - the front being the only part which is kinda set - which has been put together for 3-4. Do you really want a guy who will force this unit to play 4-3, and otherwise OK at best? I don't.

My big hope is that we have a HC and DC that have a 3-4 with press man coverage philosophy. We have the personnel for that on our roster, I believe that defense can dominate with proper development and I remember the painful transition from our 4-3 when Pagano and his DC took over. It took years to changeover to the right personnel for the 3-4. We've already wasted too many of Luck's years without wasting more with a painful defensive changeout.

2 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

My big hope is that we have a HC and DC that have a 3-4 with press man coverage philosophy. We have the personnel for that on our roster, I believe that defense can dominate with proper development and I remember the painful transition from our 4-3 when Pagano and his DC took over. It took years to changeover to the right personnel for the 3-4. We've already wasted too many of Luck's years without wasting more with a painful defensive changeout.

It seems to me that most coaches now run a 3-4 of some form or another so I would be highly surprised if we got a 4-3 guy.

11 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Exactly. Not to mention, that probably the only position in the defense the Colts are more or less set for the near future is the dline. Which would be most affected by a change.

Schefter just said the Giants are the only team who have put in a request to interview McDaniels (as well as Patricia but the Lions have also reached out to him) so far. Said there could/will be more.

In fact, I've seen a lot of teams other than the Colts putting in requests for interviews. The only thing I've seen for us from guys like Rapaport are things like the Colts are "expected" to interview so and so.

Hopefully Colts rumors are just not leaking but you'd think interview requests would be pretty public knowlege, at least to guys like Schefty and RapSheet.

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Even NE Bill bombed in Clev. I take Josh here. Fans are just unhappy with any choices.

I'm not as hung up on McDaniels' first HC stint as some. He was the youngest HC in the NFL (and the other 3 major US sports) at the time, a hot shot OC that was taking over a team previously coached by long-time Broncos HC Mike Shanahan, and had a rookie GM that McDaniels treaded all over. To his credit as well, he had very average roster headed by the PITA Jay Cutler and, at the time, huge headache in an untreated, mentally ill Brandon Marshall. With Ballard in place, more experience and maturity since then, and Luck as QB, I think he could actually be very successful.

I trust Ballard's judgement in the character department and don't think he's the type to get blinded by the "hot hires" just for the sake of hiring a big name.

11 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I don't know??  McDaniels reminds me of a short punk guy who want to be tough smart butt guy like  Bellaick but has no pelts on the wall! He might be good for the offense but the team?? I hope we talk to more people maybe MacDaniels has changed we will see? I would like to see Pat Shumer get a look see!

I believe that is exactly who he was at Denver but I am willing to give him a chance and see if he changed 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think McDaniels is an ankle-biting tag-a-long. 

He does well as a subordinate within in good system but I don't see him as a leader or a source of innovation.  NEs offense is good with or without him.  He can fine tune it maybe, but he's not the source of its success.

Agreed!

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

He is a beneficiary of Brady and Belichick. We saw what Josh McDaniels is outside of that New England system. 

Just curious, out of all of the coaches from the Belichick tree - who has had success?

Would OBrien be the only one?

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

He is a beneficiary of Brady and Belichick. We saw what Josh McDaniels is outside of that New England system. 

he was young and won a playoff game with tebow.  anyone that has been a former head coach is going to have some red flags, otherwise they would still be there

we have to decide between experience with some flags, or an unproven guy that may not be HC material 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Since we are giving second chances...both Bruce Arians and Jim Caldwell have better head coaching track records than this unproven McDaniels guy.  Lol. 

Caldwell would be a decent candidate if he weren’t fired here. Plus, Arians, I don’t think may want to coach again. However if his style of offense is part of the package, I’d stay away.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

So which is preferable - McDaniels with head coaching experience and little success or Nagy and Toub with no experience?

If we go with McDaniels...what makes him any better than Arians or Caldwell? Both have head coaching experience and more head coaching success than McDaniels comparatively speaking. They just haven’t coached under a Belichick or had Tom Brady under center.