Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapoport: Irsay already making calls, plus names to watch for

RockThatBlue

1. Indianapolis Colts: Coach Chuck Pagano is expected to coach his last game on Sunday. Sources say Indianapolis will be looking for a new coach, which will be general manager Chris Ballard's first hire. Owner Jim Irsay has already made calls to prepare. The opportunity to coach Andrew Luck is sure to draw top candidates, even if the quarterback's health is still a little bit of a question mark. Based on Ballard's background and Luck's status, some names to watch are McDaniels, Chiefs special teams coach Dave Toub and Kansas City offensive coordinator Matt Nagy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000900056/article/whos-safe-whos-out-afc-coaches-on-hot-seat

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:
  1. Indianapolis Colts: Coach Chuck Pagano is expected to coach his last game on Sunday. Sources say Indianapolis will be looking for a new coach, which will be general manager Chris Ballard's first hire. Owner Jim Irsay has already made calls to prepare. The opportunity to coach Andrew Luck is sure to draw top candidates, even if the quarterback's health is still a little bit of a question mark. Based on Ballard's background and Luck's status, some names to watch are McDaniels, Chiefs special teams coach Dave Toub and Kansas City offensive coordinator Matt Nagy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000900056/article/whos-safe-whos-out-afc-coaches-on-hot-seat

All signs seem to be pointing to one of those three. 

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I hope Pat Shurmur and Bill O'Brien get an interview if Bill parts ways with Houston. 

I think Bill becomes a very interesting name to watch if the Texans fire him.  He’s peobably the most proven of the names out there.  I’d rather have him than Josh McDaniels.

9 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I'd be happy if the kept Pagano as a clubhouse guy.  That's about all he's good for.  

But seriously, I wonder if he would be OK with being a DB coach or something.  

I really don't think anyone else will ever hire him as a head coach again. 

Gettem in when you can. It wont be too long now.

6 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Some rumors out there that McDaniels already said no. I just think while Luck's health is still in question, we probably end up with a very uninspired hire. Hope I'm wrong.

Wouldn't surprise me.  Where did you hear it?

I think the most important thing is that Ballard, coach , assistants and Luck are all on the same page, same system, communicate well, execute well.  We haven't had that in forever.  Dungy mastered and brought the Tampa 2 and Manning/Moore duo had their system down...ran like a top. That being said, it makes sense Ballard might hire one of his guys like Toulb who  would be on the same page with him.  Don't want another Grigson and Pagano fiasco where they are worlds apart.

1 hour ago, ricker182 said:

I'd be happy if the kept Pagano as a clubhouse guy.  That's about all he's good for.  

But seriously, I wonder if he would be OK with being a DB coach or something.  

I really don't think anyone else will ever hire him as a head coach again. 

Ehh. I think there's a very good chance he gets another shot. Maybe not right away, he'll probably end up as a DC or assistant or even positional coach somewhere, but I think Chuck definitely has another job lined up somewhere down the line.

I mean if Tom Cable of all people is getting interest, I don't see how 52-44 (and 3-3 in the playoffs) Chuck Pagano doesn't at least get considered somewhere. 

1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

Ehh. I think there's a very good chance he gets another shot. Maybe not right away, he'll probably end up as a DC or assistant or even positional coach somewhere, but I think Chuck definitely has another job lined up somewhere down the line.

I mean if Tom Cable of all people is getting interest, I don't see how 52-44 (and 3-3 in the playoffs) Chuck Pagano doesn't at least get considered somewhere. 

If Jeff Fisher can get hired as many as he has I would think Chuck will end up a head coach down the line at some time IF wants to.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Given that Luck's health us still questionable at best, I would not be the least bit surprised if McDaniels said no already.

I think our job is much less desirable than we all think.

I hope I'm wrong but fear I'm right....

I wondered that too, but I wonder how much Tom's age, along with them trading away Jimmy G factors into his decision. He's got a few years of Tom left tops, which was fine cause he had Tom's replacement for the next 10. Well now he's gone, so maybe McDaniels will want to roll the dice with Luck. And maybe the familiarity with Brissett helps in case Luck isn't ready.

And remember, if Luck by chance, is done for good, we do still hold the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft. Plus lots of cap space in a pretty decent QB FA class. So potential head coaches do have options beyond Luck. 

We'll see though. 

That actual Tweet is being reported at him being officially gone per Scheft (per Scheft is what every sportswriter ends with to legitimize whatever is in question) but that's not what that Tweet says. And that's got to be the most vague Scheft Tweet I've ever seen. I mean I expect the Browns to lose Sunday but it's not official. 

McDaniels is to Bill what Lane Kiffin is to Nick Sabin, a glorified waterboy who belongs at a place like Florida Atlantic (where he landed after being canned if you haven't kept up) if he wants to do anything but carry the HCs poop bag. I will cry for you guys if he gets it. But anyway I hope ya'll get a good coach. The Colts have to be good. It just sucks when they're not, and Luck deserves better.

55 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Nothing reputable. Just the normal Colts rumor mongers, Brad Wells and Jim Osbourne. 

When has Brad Wells been right about anything?  JMV has better sources and has been right about most things and has an opposite point of view of Wells.  JMV is reporting that this is Ballard’s choice and so is Kravitz.

52 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I think the most important thing is that Ballard, coach , assistants and Luck are all on the same page, same system, communicate well, execute well.  We haven't had that in forever.  Dungy mastered and brought the Tampa 2 and Manning/Moore duo had their system down...ran like a top. That being said, it makes sense Ballard might hire one of his guys like Toulb who  would be on the same page with him.  Don't want another Grigson and Pagano fiasco where they are worlds apart.

Yea the riff between Grigs and Pags was brutal and it clearly created a lot of problems, as much as i would like to hire someone with head coaching experience, we might get one of the KC guys just for the fact alone that Ballard has worked with them in the past.

3 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

I’ve got a feeling it will be McDaniels. They may interview several people, but I feel the job is McDaniels to turn down. 

Great a failure hiding in Tom Brady’s shadow who coaches like he’s playing a video game... if this is true it’s going to be a rough few years in indy 

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I believe a good number of fans on the internet said the exact same thing about Jim Caldwell. 

Fair enough.  

I really think being a head coach overwhelmed Pagano on gameday every week.  

I never felt that way with Caldwell.  

Although I'll never forgive him for ruining the perfect season.