ILB

Probably have to replace Mewhort I am guessing

Or something along those lines.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Jared Cisneros you are pretty good with Draft stuff, if Barkley is there for us would you take him? We may be Top 3 or 4.

I would not. With our offensive line the way it is, Barkley would only be slightly better than Gore IMO. I think we need to fix the O-Line, draft defense, or trade down before drafting Barkley. He would be my 4th option as of now, and that's if we sign a couple FA O-Lineman.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would not. With our offensive line the way it is, Barkley would only be slightly better than Gore IMO. I think we need to fix the O-Line, draft defense, or trade down before drafting Barkley. He would be my 4th option as of now, and that's if we sign a couple FA O-Lineman.

Man Barkley looks like he could be Great but we need O.Line and Pass Rushers so I agree.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Man Barkley looks like he could be Great but we need O.Line and Pass Rushers so I agree.

I actually think Barkley would be closer to Trent Richardson then a great RB behind our O-Line right now. We would need a top G in FA and someone like Quinton Nelson in the draft along with Barkley for this to work IMO. If that happened, and Luck was 100%, I think we could make a deep run in the playoffs. Just don't know how we can pull it off... yet. We'll have to see some draft positioning for these players as the college season ends and the combine happens.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sign both Norwell and Pugh along with Davis and Watkins and Barkley moves to the top of my list if he's there.  That's asking a lot but we have the money and I would be thrilled with those four new FA.   We still have to resign some of our own. 

The biggest concern in my opinion is the offensive line. Once Kelly goes out we have nothing. You seen guys confused once he was out. He also needs to stay healthy. We really need to hit in the draft and in FA. Our style of defense doesn’t have a need for a coverage ILB. Our LB’s are asked to attack with in the zone. Our DB’s are assigned to the coverage. It work the first few weeks when we had a healthy Hooker. D. Walker is one of the best TE’s. Of course he is going to make them look silly. For the most part Bostic and Morrison have done what their ability calls for.

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Morrison is trying to do his best TJ Green impersonation and goes for that missile hit and doesn't care who he hits. Teammate or not, someone's getting blasted. 

Bostic is almost DQ Jackson Jr. Terrible in coverage, but not as good against the run. 

That Walker catch with 3 Colts around him was a thing of beauty (in a terrible ugly way)...Green was totally lost on that one.

But that one play just stuck in my head. Three guys couldn't prevent that one. Pretty much a Colts 2017 type play.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s nothing we didn’t already know, but the coverage from the ILBs was poor. Bostic was one of the many Colts who allowed the long catch by Walker. Later on he gave up the TD to Walker. Morrison is bad as well. Yes the offensive line needs to be fixed, but the LB play is horrendous. The Colts need to draft 2 LBs high in the draft. This cannot continue. Our LB play is just as bad, if not worse than the Raiders. Maybe it’s time to see what Walker has.

Yes, I agree!

...Well I'll assume I'm in the drastic minority but I'd rather have an ILB, OLB and RB before an OT or G.

I think an actual good play caller and different objective on offense would make this oline look like a top 12 oline in the league. 

IMO of course. 

You could pull a position out of a hat for the first round and come up with a need we have. We need play makers, difference makers. To me it is one of the reasons we collapse in 2nd half, no one there to make THE play when needed to close out a game- make the interception, stuff on third down, key block to spring the runner for first down, pass break up, big catch, etc. Just have a bunch of average dudes who, when come crunch time, are shown to be just average. So- edge rusher, ILB, CB, OT, but frankly just draft someone who is going to be the guy to make the play when needed to win the game.

21 hours ago, IinD said:

Never liked Bostic, he's always a step slow in coverage and when he blitzes.

I had hope for Morrison, but it looks like those positive reports out of camp were more wishful thinking then fact.

This dline would actually be really good if we added a real rush olb.

Yeah, Morrison is terrible. 

14 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Right!

Coach/ Staff

Edge Rusher

OL (Left tackle, move AC to RT... etc)

ILB

Probably have to replace Mewhort I am guessing

Or something along those lines.

I like Harbaugh but I don't see Ballard and Harbaugh getting along I see a personality clash. I think Gruden would be a better choice in that regard. 

9 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I like Harbaugh but I don't see Ballard and Harbaugh getting along I see a personality clash. I think Gruden would be a better choice in that regard. 

Yeah of the two I would have to agree Gruden would be a better fit.  I always have liked Harbaugh too, especially when he played here, but as a coach with the current front office I think he would create more dysfunction than what we have now.

If we were starting fresh (new GM etc), however, that might be a different story.

In summation, the Colts need linebackers, OL players, secondary players, a running back and a quarterback if Luck does not make it. Noting no one picked up any of the players the Colts offered up at the last trade deadline this year does this all add up to a successful 2018 season? Answer: No.

9 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah of the two I would have to agree Gruden would be a better fit.  I always have liked Harbaugh too, especially when he played here, but as a coach with the current front office I think he would create more dysfunction than what we have now.

If we were starting fresh (new GM etc), however, that might be a different story.

9 hours ago, OHColtfan said:

You could pull a position out of a hat for the first round and come up with a need we have. We need play makers, difference makers. To me it is one of the reasons we collapse in 2nd half, no one there to make THE play when needed to close out a game- make the interception, stuff on third down, key block to spring the runner for first down, pass break up, big catch, etc. Just have a bunch of average dudes who, when come crunch time, are shown to be just average. So- edge rusher, ILB, CB, OT, but frankly just draft someone who is going to be the guy to make the play when needed to win the game.

I didn’t necessarily mean that it had to be in the first round. We just need to draft that position early and often. Grabbing one in rounds 2+3,3+4, or whatever combination is almost a must. OL or pass rusher is still an option in the first round, but they have to get a LB within the first 3 rounds

Reading all the responses, I'm leaning toward ILB.  They are typically the defensive quarterbacks and if you look back at those great Bears defenses over the years, they had great linebackers.  Guys who can stuff the run, have the speed to get to the outside in pass protection or run defense.  If there's a really good ILB there in round 1 or 2, then I would think that would be a no-brainer pick.

17 hours ago, Superman said:

I think we need new ILBs for sure, but I think that can be addressed with better athletes, not necessarily top shelf players, though that would be nice. I also think coaching and better pass rush would help the pass defense to every part of the field. I would never think pass rush can wait. I always want more pass rush, and the higher you pick in the draft, the more likely you can come away with an elite prospect.

You already know I'm not targeting any position in the draft, but I would definitely be all in on Norwell or Pugh if they hit free agency.

The best athletes at ILB are going to be the top shelf players who go high in the draft. Guys like Roquan Smith of Georgia and Rashan Evans of Alabama are athletic LBs that are going to go high.

Coaching could also fix some of the O-Line issues, but it doesn’t mean we still don’t need upgrades at the position. That’s how I feel about ILB. 

38 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The best athletes at ILB are going to be the top shelf players who go high in the draft. Guys like Roquan Smith of Georgia and Rashan Evans of Alabama are athletic LBs that are going to go high.

Coaching could also fix some of the O-Line issues, but it doesn’t mean we still don’t need upgrades at the position. That’s how I feel about ILB. 

Coaching can fix O-line issues?  How do you figure that?  The O-line has been a revolving door for years and coaching hasn't done anything to improve that. The bottom line is we need better players who can stay healthy. The O-line we have now is not going to change that.

40 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

If they pick an ilb with a top 5 pick i will lose my mind.  if they trade down and get him late in the first that's ok.  This team needs pass rush first and foremost.  It cures so many ills.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Coaching can fix O-line issues?  How do you figure that?  The O-line has been a revolving door for years and coaching hasn't done anything to improve that. The bottom line is we need better players who can stay healthy. The O-line we have now is not going to change that.

SOME of the issues. If we could get the ball out quicker then some of the guys wouldn’t have to block for 10 seconds. Take away the 7 step drop backs and replace them with 3 steps and outs and people aren’t blocking as long. We still need better players though.

3 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

If they pick an ilb with a top 5 pick i will lose my mind.  if they trade down and get him late in the first that's ok.  This team needs pass rush first and foremost.  It cures so many ills.

No I was never advocating for us to take an ILB that high. There isn’t even one worth it in this draft (unless Cameron Smith runs a 4.5 at the combine). I’m just saying that from rounds 2-4 we need to draft at least 2 ILBs. 

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

A hybrid approach to ILB/dime backer is in order, IMO. They've done some of this with Clayton Geathers, but I don't know if we can/should rely on him. Other than that, there are athletic guys at ILB throughout the draft every year. We're just drawn toward the plodding thumpers, for some reason. There are also free agents who would provide more athleticism in the middle.

And I agree we need upgrades, I just don't think that's the second highest priority for this team right now. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You're right about the bolded.

There are a lot of things the staff could do to take pressure off of the line, like shortening the passing concepts. 

43 minutes ago, Superman said:

A hybrid approach to ILB/dime backer is in order, IMO. They've done some of this with Clayton Geathers, but I don't know if we can/should rely on him. Other than that, there are athletic guys at ILB throughout the draft every year. We're just drawn toward the plodding thumpers, for some reason. There are also free agents who would provide more athleticism in the middle.

And I agree we need upgrades, I just don't think that's the second highest priority for this team right now. 

I agree we need upgrades. That said we just need a dynamic pass rusher badly. Simons and Sheard have been solid vets but we need that athletic playmaker on the corner to disrupt the passing game. If we could land Chubb or Key or someone like that it would be a big boost. We could bring him in on passing downs and rotate with Sheard and Simons. Qbs are just too comfortable in the pocket against us. If our corners didn't have to cover for so long or could adjust their coverages then I think we could see them take that next step. OL is a huge need and with all that money I think we spend big there and for a WR of those that I mentioned in other threads. A guy like Landry I'd expect to make it to free agency and can be that possession receiver that helps us move the change and work the middle of the field. ILBs are a concern...especially in pass coverage but rushing the qb and protecting Luck have to be my priorities all things being equal with draft value on players. I don't think we would reach or pass on another obvious talent but if they avail it to us I think we focus on that way. Still very far away.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I agree we need upgrades. That said we just need a dynamic pass rusher badly. Simons and Sheard have been solid vets but we need that athletic playmaker on the corner to disrupt the passing game. If we could land Chubb or Key or someone like that it would be a big boost. We could bring him in on passing downs and rotate with Sheard and Simons. Qbs are just too comfortable in the pocket against us. If our corners didn't have to cover for so long or could adjust their coverages then I think we could see them take that next step. OL is a huge need and with all that money I think we spend big there and for a WR of those that I mentioned in other threads. A guy like Landry I'd expect to make it to free agency and can be that possession receiver that helps us move the change and work the middle of the field. ILBs are a concern...especially in pass coverage but rushing the qb and protecting Luck have to be my priorities all things being equal with draft value on players. I don't think we would reach or pass on another obvious talent but if they avail it to us I think we focus on that way. Still very far away.

If Chubb can't start right away and is only a situational pass rusher I'll pass.  We can find those guys in a later round.  Our first rd. pick has to be an immediate starter like Clowney, Bosa etc.  If we have a top five or ten pick that player has to be an immediate impact starter no matter what the position.  I feel the same way for our second pick as well.  I've had it with project players especially with our draft position and record.