Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After OL, ILB is the Biggest Need by Far

Defjamz26

2 hours ago, Superman said:

A hybrid approach to ILB/dime backer is in order, IMO. They've done some of this with Clayton Geathers, but I don't know if we can/should rely on him. Other than that, there are athletic guys at ILB throughout the draft every year. We're just drawn toward the plodding thumpers, for some reason. There are also free agents who would provide more athleticism in the middle.

And I agree we need upgrades, I just don't think that's the second highest priority for this team right now. 

ILB isn’t really a position you go to FA for. How many premier coverage LB’s hit the market each year? Guys like Minter and Brown weren’t elite talents which is why they didn’t get huge deals. ILB is a position you always draft IMO. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

ILB isn’t really a position you go to FA for. How many premier coverage LB’s hit the market each year? Guys like Minter and Brown weren’t elite talents which is why they didn’t get huge deals. ILB is a position you always draft IMO. 

When you have limited draft picks -- like everyone does -- you get what you can where you can. My goal is to be two deep across the board before the draft, so yeah, I'm getting rid of pretty much every ILB on the roster and adding new ones in free agency, with a focus on athletes who don't get beat across the middle every passing down. 

Whatever happens in the draft is separate from that, IMO. 

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You of all I thought would see the cause and effect. But I guess not.

I do see the cause and effect. The coaching staff favors long developing pass concepts despite having a bad offensive line, which leads to more pressure on the QB. 

Cause -- bad play calling

Effect -- the most sacked QB in the NFL

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I do see the cause and effect. The coaching staff favors long developing pass concepts despite having a bad offensive line, which leads to more pressure on the QB. 

So the personnel has zero to do with it?  No coach in the league can scheme without the players to do it with. A revolving door at the offensive line makes it impossible to make anything work consistent. Blaming the coaches for the lack of talent is exactly what is going on.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So the personnel has zero to do with it?  No coach in the league can scheme without the players to do it with. A revolving door at the offensive line makes it impossible to make anything work consistent. Blaming the coaches for the lack of talent is exactly what is going on.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/black-or-white

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/special-pleading

I don't know why you do this, but I'm not going to let you put me in a box. The coaches make it worse with playcalling that requires a good offensive line, and it's inexcusable precisely because we do not have a good offensive line. 

9 hours ago, King Colt said:

In summation, the Colts need linebackers, OL players, secondary players, a running back and a quarterback if Luck does not make it. Noting no one picked up any of the players the Colts offered up at the last trade deadline this year does this all add up to a successful 2018 season? Answer: No.

"If Luck does not make it"

Geez, you make it sound like he is dying. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

You're right about the bolded.

There are a lot of things the staff could do to take pressure off of the line, like shortening the passing concepts. 

Sadly I don't think this staff knows what a short passing game is. They sort of used one in the Bengals game, and predictably went away from it again.

This is one big reason why I am leaning towards Josh McDaniels. It would be nice to see a short passing game more than 1 game per year. 

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know why you do this, but I'm not going to let you put me in a box. The coaches make it worse with playcalling that requires a good offensive line, and it's inexcusable precisely because we do not have a good offensive line. 

I am not putting you in any box. IMO, If you are anyone else thinks a change in coaching and all new coordinators will make a winner out of this roster anytime soon are sadly mistaken.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

When you have limited draft picks -- like everyone does -- you get what you can where you can. My goal is to be two deep across the board before the draft, so yeah, I'm getting rid of pretty much every ILB on the roster and adding new ones in free agency, with a focus on athletes who don't get beat across the middle every passing down. 

Whatever happens in the draft is separate from that, IMO. 

Not sure how much you’re going to find in FA. I agree that all the ILBs need to go. Who’s even gonna be on the market?

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am not putting you in any box. IMO, If you are anyone else thinks a change in coaching and all new coordinators will make a winner out of this roster anytime soon are sadly mistaken.

How about instead of exacerbating one of our biggest flaws, they actually try to minimize it?

1 minute ago, Superman said:

How about instead of exacerbating one of our biggest flaws, they actually try to minimize it?

Look Sup, both of us see different thinks we concentrate on. This back and forth really serves no purpose at all. I have been around NFL football for a very long time and have seen a scrap goat more than once. IMO this is exactly what is happening. Pagano was dealt a losing hand from day one this season. I am sorry you don't see it because you very rarely miss things of that nature.

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

But how do you know a new coach/staff wouldn't do better? Just look at the Rams. First year new coach and are one of the best teams in the NFC right now.

I know the situations are obviously not the same, but a new staff has done them pretty good. 

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

But how do you know a new coach/staff wouldn't do better? Just look at the Rams. First year new coach and are one of the best teams in the NFC right now.

I know the situations are obviously not the same, but a new staff has done them pretty good. 

I am fully aware of that but till there is a serious up grade in the talent level on this roster things are going to stay the same. Not only in positions needed but lack of depth is also an issue. That is the main cause for the Colts not being able to close games out. Add the turnovers and that seals the losses. The talent level from the starters to the next tier is so low and inconsistent getting any sort of schemes to work is next to impossible.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

new coaches will make this high school talent into all pro nfl stars

3 hours ago, Superman said:

100% correct. Sad, but correct.

Can't run your system if it doesn't work on a weekly basis. You've got to figure out what we can do REASONABLY well and that has to be how you move forward.

It reminds me of bad nba coaches who will try to play run and gun style with taller players who'd be better off in a slower offense. Or the coach who wants slow half court play using a bunch of Guards.

They can't block, so let's make them hold those blocks longer so this play can work. Odds are it isn't going to work.

Most are over him because what we see is what we're going to continue to get.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am fully aware of that but till there is a serious up grade in the talent level on this roster things are going to stay the same. Not only in positions needed but lack of depth is also an issue. That is the main cause for the Colts not being able to close games out. Add the turnovers and that seals the losses. The talent level from the starters to the next tier is so low and inconsistent getting any sort of schemes to work is next to impossible.

The opposite is true. It’s reasonable to believe that the team would do better with upgraded talent, but the success would be short term. If you don’t see the clear limitations of the current coaching staff then you’re turning a blind eye. 

The signs were always there, going all the way back to 2012. 6 years later and it’s the same issues. And look at it from a business standpoint. If the roster is the issue what does that mean? That Irsay puts all the ownership on Ballard and waits 2-3 drafts before judging Pagano?

I ain't buying the so called lame "Lack of Talent" excuse for this season.  We've had way too many games where we've lead at halftime or even all the way down into the 4th quarter.   And each time it's unraveled mostly because of bad adjustments, key penalties, bad game plans, and bad execution.  Talent don't have a damn thing to do with a dude dropping and fumbling the football.  I don't think it has much to do with blitz pick up. Talent don't have a damn thing to do with stupid penalties for horse collar tackling and pushing after whistle.  Most of that is dicipline and execution related.

In the Cardinals game it was bad communication in the secondary,  the same stagnant offense we've been seeing all year, Jacoby had the monster turnover in OT.

In the Seahawks game it was penalties at times when we didn't need them,  missed tackles, Jacoby turnover(s), lack of adjustments, Vontae getting burned,  stagnant offense for the entire second half etc

In the first Titans game the second half coaching was pretty curious as they went away from everything they had success with in the first half.  Also multiple Jack Doyle turnovers, dropped pass in the endzone by Moncrief, busted coverage by Malik, very bad blitz pick up by the offensive line, bad run defense late in the 4th, stagnant offense.

In the Jags game the offense and defense was beyond terrible and the game plan was beyond terrible. The offensive line blocked worse than I've every seen them.  Somebody needs to be shot for allowing Desir and Quincy Wilson to be inactive!  That was pure bafoonery...

In the Bengals game the offense had a little bit of life and the defense played well.  Unfortunately a killer Jacoby turnover swung all the momentum away from us.  From that point we didn't block and couldn't advance the ball much.  Another colts loss!

In the Steelers game we played pretty good ball overall, however the stagnant offense showed up in the second half highlighted by multiple failures to diagnose, pick up and execute against blitzes.  And of course we got sunk again

by another Jacoby and Jack Doyle killer turnover which swung all the momentum. I feel we should have won that game if we just simply don't turn the football over.

And in conclusion we have the second Titans game.   We played good football up until we get sunk again by another killer turnover.  This time it's by Marlon Mack.  In addition to this the offense is stagnant, the blocking is attrocious to the tune of 8 sacks.  Critical penalty by Morrison with the horse collar and pitiful edge setting by Sheard and others.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The opposite is true. It’s reasonable to believe that the team would do better with upgraded talent, but the success would be short term. If you don’t see the clear limitations of the current coaching staff then you’re turning a blind eye. 

The signs were always there, going all the way back to 2012. 6 years later and it’s the same issues. And look at it from a business standpoint. If the roster is the issue what does that mean? That Irsay puts all the ownership on Ballard and waits 2-3 drafts before judging Pagano?

I can say you are turning a blind eye as well when you look at it from my point of view.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I ain't buying the so called lame "Lack of Talent" excuse for this season.  We've had way too many games where we've lead at halftime or even all the way down into the 4th quarter.   And each time it's unraveled mostly because of bad adjustments, key penalties, bad game plans, and bad execution.  Talent don't have a damn thing to do with a dude dropping and fumbling the football.  I don't think it has much to do with blitz pick up. Talent don't have a damn thing to do with stupid penalties for horse collar tackling and pushing after whistle.  Most of that is dicipline and execution related.

In the Cardinals game it was bad communication in the secondary,  the same stagnant offense we've been seeing all year, Jacoby had the monster turnover in OT.

In the Seahawks game it was penalties at times when we didn't need them,  missed tackles, Jacoby turnover(s), lack of adjustments, Vontae getting burned,  stagnant offense for the entire second half etc

In the first Titans game the second half coaching was pretty curious as they went away from everything they had success with in the first half.  Also multiple Jack Doyle turnovers, dropped pass in the endzone by Moncrief, busted coverage by Malik, very bad blitz pick up by the offensive line, bad run defense late in the 4th, stagnant offense.

In the Jags game the offense and defense was beyond terrible and the game plan was beyond terrible. The offensive line blocked worse than I've every seen them.  Somebody needs to be shot for allowing Desir and Quincy Wilson to be inactive!  That was pure bafoonery...

In the Bengals game the offense had a little bit of life and the defense played well.  Unfortunately a killer Jacoby turnover swung all the momentum away from us.  From that point we didn't block and couldn't advance the ball much.  Another colts loss!

In the Steelers game we played pretty good ball overall, however the stagnant offense showed up in the second half highlighted by multiple failures to diagnose, pick up and execute against blitzes.  And of course we got sunk again

by another Jacoby and Jack Doyle killer turnover which swung all the momentum. I feel we should have won that game if we just simply don't turn the football over.

And in conclusion we have the second Titans game.   We played good football up until we get sunk again by another killer turnover.  This time it's by Marlon Mack.  In addition to this the offense is stagnant, the blocking is attrocious to the tune of 8 sacks.  Critical penalty by Morrison with the horse collar and pitiful edge setting by Sheard and others.

Pretty much to summarize the problems have been a stagnant offense, key turnovers, bad OL and something you forgot to mention a tired defense in the 4th qtr because of a lot of the above.  I think one could say if we had better talent on the OL and at QB our offense would have been more productive and we most likely would be in the playoff hunt with this roster.  Not saying SB.  It will take a little more time for that but a playoff spot would most likely have happened if not for the line and QB issues. 

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can say you are turning a blind eye as well when you look at it from my point of view.

No I’m pretty open minded. I get that our roster isn’t anything special. But there’s enough talent to win. Luck isn’t enough of an excuse. We were 8-8 with him last year, 8-8 with him out for 8 games in 2015, and now possibly under .500 without him the full season. Most of our games are lost because of coaching though. Games like the Cardinals, Titans, and Bengals (as well as most inexplicable losses) weren’t lost because of lack of Talent. They were lost to coaching issues that have been around since 2012 which include:

-Failure to adjust at halftime

-Unpreparedness for games

-Poor offensive and defensive scheming/play calling 

-Poor use of game clock, challenges, and Time Outs

-Poor choice of snaps given and players started/sat

Thats been going on for 6 years. They got away with it for 3 years going 11-5 because of a weak division. Now we’re possibly under .500. That’s not talent because this is the best roster we’ve had since 2012. That’s coaching 

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Pretty much to summarize the problems have been a stagnant offense, key turnovers, bad OL and something you forgot to mention a tired defense in the 4th qtr because of a lot of the above.  I think one could say if we had better talent on the OL and at QB our offense would have been more productive and we most likely would be in the playoff hunt with this roster.  Not saying SB.  It will take a little more time for that but a playoff spot would most likely have happened if not for the line and QB issues. 

I think if some of these guys including the coaches would just do their dag gone jobs when it matters.  I say maybe we'd have at least a mediocre record.  The tired defense in many cases is a result of the fumbling bumbling offense.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No I’m pretty open minded. I get that our roster isn’t anything special. But there’s enough talent to win. Luck isn’t enough of an excuse. We were 8-8 with him last year, 8-8 with him out for 8 games in 2015, and now possibly under .500 without him the full season. Most of our games are lost because of coaching though. Games like the Cardinals, Titans, and Bengals (as well as most inexplicable losses) weren’t lost because of lack of Talent. They were lost to coaching issues that have been around since 2012 which include:

-Failure to adjust at halftime

-Unpreparedness for games

-Poor offensive and defensive scheming/play calling 

-Poor use of game clock, challenges, and Time Outs

-Poor choice of snaps given and players started/sat

Thats been going on for 6 years. They got away with it for 3 years going 11-5 because of a weak division. Now we’re possibly under .500. That’s not talent because this is the best roster we’ve had since 2012. That’s coaching 

If you think we have more talent this season with pretty much a total rebuild there is not much I can say because IMO you are wrong.

-There is no scheme a coach can make when there is no depth at any position.

-The Colts have been prepared in the starting of games.

-The use of the game clock, challenges have improved where there is no issues.

-Pagano has started with the best available players at their positions.

-Pagano can't control the turnovers at key times in the game. Turnovers have contributed to at least 3 or 4 losses.

You say you are open minded but yet to acknowledge these issues with an open mind.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

And when it comes to the OL it's not all just needing better talent.   Some of the stuff I consistently see is mental.  It has to be when you have so many free running blitzers.

People not picking up their assignments properly.  Blocking the wrong people, or you have situations where the back was supposed to pick up such and such and it doesn't happen.   Much of it is Mental Errors.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Another thing I've said about this team is there really aren't any leaders.   Everybody on both sides of the ball is kind of blue collar go to work type guys.  There's not really any Vocal captain of the ship type personalities to hold people accountable when they are not executing their jobs right.  There is no Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks,  Rodney Harrison type of personalties on this team to hold guys to high standards.  Guys that really take the details seriously.  I'm talking offensively and defensively.  Guys like that force you to concentrate on doing your job the right way.  They are all over you if you're sloppy.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you think we have more talent this season with pretty much a total rebuild there is not much I can say because IMO you are wrong.

-There is no scheme a coach can make when there is no depth at any position.

-The Colts have been prepared in the starting of games.

-The use of the game clock, challenges have improved where there is no issues.

-Pagano has started with the best available players at their positions.

-Pagano can't control the turnovers at key times in the game. Turnovers have contributed to at least 3 or 4 losses.

You say you are open minded but yet to acknowledge these issues with an open mind.

- Coaches can absolutely scheme to get the most out of players, BB actually did that with Brissett when he was on the Pats and continues to do that this season.

- Being prepared to start a game means nothing when you don't make adjustments to finish games.

- The use of game clock and challenges have not improved, Pagano still makes mistakes in that area. It has cost us games in previous seasons, it's even cost us points this season.

- Not sure if the 4th bullet point is a typo or not, because that would go directly against your point.

- Pags can't control turnovers, sure. Turnover aren't the only problem with this team though.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

And when it comes to the OL it's not all just needing better talent.   Some of the stuff I consistently see is mental.  It has to be when you have so many free running blitzers.

People not picking up their assignments properly.  Blocking the wrong people, or you have situations where the back was supposed to pick up such and such and it doesn't happen.   Much of it is Mental Errors.

Exactly.  Maybe they're not good enough or smart enough to do their job without committing so many mental errors.  Last year Ballard focused on the defense.  He changed 90% or so of our starting defense by bringing in what he thought was better talent.  And he did improve our defense.  Now people are screaming for better talent at ILB and OL.  Hopefully he focuses on the offense this year and upgrades the talent on the OL, RB and WR.  If he does I think our offense will be better.  It all starts with having talented players who are also smart enough to understand their job and assignments and execute at a very fast pace.  Those are the kind of players I think Ballard will try to find for us. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I would say that better talent would be able to fix majority of what you mentioned though.  A better guy will know who to pick up and how to look for blitzes.  Now I will say having a better scheme and OL coach will help as well.  I have become someone who does not like Philbin too much... not to sure what line coach is out there that will follow the next coaching staff though.

12 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I would say that better talent would be able to fix majority of what you mentioned though.  A better guy will know who to pick up and how to look for blitzes.  Now I will say having a better scheme and OL coach will help as well.  I have become someone who does not like Philbin too much... not to sure what line coach is out there that will follow the next coaching staff though.

I agree with the overall assesment although I feel the current group of guys is capable of cleaning up some of the mentals to achieve better play.   They still need to be replaced with better talent at the end of the year though.  This is true!

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I agree with the overall assesment although I feel the current group of guys is capable of cleaning up some of the mentals to achieve better play.   They still need to be replaced with better talent at the end of the year though.  This is true!

They should definitely be able to fix many of there errors but I do not know if it will happen.

11 hours ago, krunk said:

It's been ridiculous the last two games. The Steelers and the Titans worked us with extra rushers, and we couldn't figure it out. A big part of that is having a young QB who is still learning the playbook, and having a center go in and out of the game. But another big part of it is the play calling.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

It's been ridiculous the last two games. The Steelers and the Titans worked us with extra rushers, and we couldn't figure it out. A big part of that is having a young QB who is still learning the playbook, and having a center go in and out of the game. But another big part of it is the play calling.

I've been trying to wrap my head around why the execution has been so bad.  I know they are seeing this stuff on film and it's like they never ever get it fixed.  I mean how many times can you see the same blitzes, stunts and twists against the same formation on the same down and distance and they execute against it as if they had never seen it before.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Play-calling, play-calling, play-calling.  I have been screaming this for awhile now.  They have yet to make anything easy on Brissett.  We at times run quick plays and then move the ball.  Then Chud, does what Chud does...goes right back to the sack type plays.  Long developing plays giving Brissett time to keep eyes on TY only (because he is young still) or dump it to Doyel (typically only a 4 yard pickup).  Our Center and Guards all have been constant change and cannot recognize an inside stunt to save their lives.  Vuj...don't get me started.  Edge blitz with Haeg not able to see this at all, or Brissett (again young) seeing this to check into something or have the RB chip or stay home.  Every week the same tune....

7 hours ago, krunk said:

I've been trying to wrap my head around why the execution has been so bad.  I know they are seeing this stuff on film and it's like they never ever get it fixed.  I mean how many times can you see the same blitzes, stunts and twists against the same formation on the same down and distance and they execute against it as if they had never seen it before.

About 80. It's been an issue since 2012, picking up blitzes and stunts. Go back and watch the Ravens playoff game, or the Browns game that year (I think, might have been Chiefs?) 

Of course, now we're two coordinators down, and about 15 centers down, and have a different QB for a while, so circumstances matter. Still, two weeks in a row, they've been destroyed by free rushers. And this is just about a month after giving up 10 sacks to the Jags and getting blanked, in Indy. Yet people will insist that coaching has nothing to do with it.

And based on how we've (un)protected against blitzes and stunts the last two games, and how we got whipped by the Jags last time, there's not a lot of room for optimism that they'll suddenly make these adjustments this week.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

About 80. It's been an issue since 2012, picking up blitzes and stunts. Go back and watch the Ravens playoff game, or the Browns game that year (I think, might have been Chiefs?) 

Of course, now we're two coordinators down, and about 15 centers down, and have a different QB for a while, so circumstances matter. Still, two weeks in a row, they've been destroyed by free rushers. And this is just about a month after giving up 10 sacks to the Jags and getting blanked, in Indy. Yet people will insist that coaching has nothing to do with it.

And based on how we've (un)protected against blitzes and stunts the last two games, and how we got whipped by the Jags last time, there's not a lot of room for optimism that they'll suddenly make these adjustments this week.

I have very little faith they'll make much change this week.   Very little.  And the sad thing is we'll mostly be facing a 4 man rush the entire game.  It's not like we are going to see a whole bunch of exotic pressures.

I kind of disagree but yet agree with pretty much all opinions haha .  In my view the players, coaches and scheme all share some of the blame, but the biggest factor is not having Luck in there (Mr. Obvious right).  I couldn't see the team being any worse than 8-8 this year with a healthy Luck.  I see 4-5 games that probably would've been wins with him in.  That being said they wouldn't be world beaters by any means but there would probably be a 3 way tie atop the AFC South.  I don't really think anyone expected this team to do much without Luck.