Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3-4 Defense: A Chance For Jerry Hughes?

austriancolt

With a new defensive philosophy do you think Jerry Hughes can turn his NFL career around? I think he played in a 3-4 Defense at TCU so maybe the philosophy change is good for him...

I'm pretty sure he played Defensive end in a 4-3 his entire career at TCU. He just worked out as a 3-4 outside linebacker at the combine because that's what he projected to in the NFL. Hopefully he can, it is now or never for him. I just don't see the desire and hustle from him to become a solid pro.

I'm pretty sure he played Defensive end in a 4-3 his entire career at TCU. He just worked out as a 3-4 outside linebacker at the combine because that's what he projected to in the NFL. Hopefully he can, it is now or never for him. I just don't see the desire and hustle from him to become a solid pro.

Hughes best talent to date is cashing his unearned paychecks.

i think when he gets chance to do this you will all be pleasantly supprised

Good first post Jay.

It's kind of hard to get much playing time as a pass rusher, when you have two of the best pass rushers in the league on your team. If Mathis is gone, Hughes will step in and get the same results. Mark it down here.

Somehow I doubt it very much. He hasn't even shown a glimpse of NFL talent yet, so I'd imagine it would take more than a new defensive scheme to bring him to the fore. I suppose stranger things have happened......like someone laughing at an episode of 'Joey'....

the guy barely gets to play as it is, with mathis and freeney there none of the back ups were on the field. maybe one or two plays a game lol ....i think he will fare well in a 3-4 defense as an OLB

If we go to a 3/4 I don't know if Freeney will fit into that. I hope he does, just not sure about it. I have confidence that Mathis would be great.

that is saying if the colts resign mathis. all of that will prob be figured out after the manning soap opera. ABC should pick this drama up

that talent was definitely worth the team using the first round pick on him for! NOT! But then again, it was Chris Polian that made that decision. Enough said.

Yea, and now Pagano has to inherit that mess and maybe even have Irsay breathing down his neck making their 1st round pick work. I can just see it now...

Pagano: "Hughes, are you willing to play a 3-4?"

Hughes: "Nope."

Pagano: "How about a 4-3?"

Hughes: "Nope."

Pagano: "Then what are you willing to play?"

Hughes: "Madden."

that is saying if the colts resign mathis. all of that will prob be figured out after the manning soap opera. ABC should pick this drama up

That is very true. I think its important to keep some experienced players when we have so many younger guys. They need a leader on the D! I hope they keep Mathis though, but who knows what they will do.

i think when he gets chance to do this you will all be pleasantly supprised

I think the key will be motivation and teaching from the staff. Manusky is a good teacher, but not a great Coordinator. I will continue to say Hughes will benefit from Pagano's intensity. If he does not we will not be paying him anymore. Pagano would rather see effort from the likes of Hickman (Signed from CFL) than lethargy from Hughes. Thanks for the comment, Jay!!

With a new defensive philosophy do you think Jerry Hughes can turn his NFL career around? I think he played in a 3-4 Defense at TCU so maybe the philosophy change is good for him...

This may be tied to the Mathis negotiation....

...If he cant be signed..it just accelerates the move to 3-4 with someone (Jerry H) who we alreday have..

Mathis could be reduced to passing downs..as well..

Good first post Jay.

It's kind of hard to get much playing time as a pass rusher, when you have two of the best pass rushers in the league on your team. If Mathis is gone, Hughes will step in and get the same results. Mark it down here.

Ha! I will not forget you said this. It's hard to forget comments this ridiculous.

downtown on the ground for a touchdown donald brown finally showed up last season, so maybe next year will be jerry's turn

This is true, but Donald at least showed flashes in his first two seasons and as a RB he heavily relies on the oline (a crappy one). Hughes hasn't flashed nor does he have anyone to blame but himself. Prove me wrong, Jerry!

This is true, but Donald at least showed flashes in his first two seasons and as a RB he heavily relies on the oline (a crappy one). Hughes hasn't flashed nor does he have anyone to blame but himself. Prove me wrong, Jerry!

I think he's had some small flashes here and there. Ive seen him get some good pressure at times and do a good job against the run. But I agree they were too far and between to justify the 1st round pick to this point. I think the kid has the physical skills. The question is does he have the work ethic to be a starter.

It will be all about the coaching. The guy was ridiculously athletic, and had a good head on his shoulders to boot. Soft Tampa 2 just probably wasn't his game, as he had to line up against monstrous tackles.

The right coaching can make players work in this league. We must remember, we suffered under Caldwell. While he wasn't all bad, he didn't seem to be doing a whole lot. Not we'll have coaches running a team (with Peyton), instead of just Peyton running a team.

Jerry Hugh's combine numbers suggest that he should be an all star LB. For some reason he did not distinguish himself on STs like a LB should. This year will be a make or break year. If coaching was the problem then we should end up with a 6'-2'' 255lb linebacker who has the agility of a DB. If he is a head case he will get cut.

It will be all about the coaching. The guy was ridiculously athletic, and had a good head on his shoulders to boot. Soft Tampa 2 just probably wasn't his game, as he had to line up against monstrous tackles.

The right coaching can make players work in this league. We must remember, we suffered under Caldwell. While he wasn't all bad, he didn't seem to be doing a whole lot. Not we'll have coaches running a team (with Peyton), instead of just Peyton running a team.

I agree here, many players have suffered on this team because of the inept coaching that was on this team and a scheme that was never adjusted to the other team or adjusted to the ability of the players strengths. I am hopeful that Pagano can install a scheme that has the individual players skillsets in mind while also maximizing the players who haven't shown they belong in the NFL. Coaching can do wonders for many players with talent but either unmotivated or undisciplined by former coaching. We have some players who had talent and athleticism but just never acheived what the college film showed they could acheive. Prior scheme and crappy coaching stunted some of that talent from coming out and some of it is just the players lack of desire after actually getting to the NFL and thinking they can coast against the level of talent in the NFL.

I see promise for Hughes and a few of the other players but the desire and work ethic have to be there to succeed in any scheme and coaching can't force a player with talent to shine, he has to want it and work at it. Can Jerry be that dedicated to it?? We will see soon enough.

I agree here, many players have suffered on this team because of the inept coaching that was on this team and a scheme that was never adjusted to the other team or adjusted to the ability of the players strengths. I am hopeful that Pagano can install a scheme that has the individual players skillsets in mind while also maximizing the players who haven't shown they belong in the NFL. Coaching can do wonders for many players with talent but either unmotivated or undisciplined by former coaching. We have some players who had talent and athleticism but just never acheived what the college film showed they could acheive. Prior scheme and crappy coaching stunted some of that talent from coming out and some of it is just the players lack of desire after actually getting to the NFL and thinking they can coast against the level of talent in the NFL.

I see promise for Hughes and a few of the other players but the desire and work ethic have to be there to succeed in any scheme and coaching can't force a player with talent to shine, he has to want it and work at it. Can Jerry be that dedicated to it?? We will see soon enough.

I really don't see where you get the optimism for. He's been with the club for two seasons and done zilch. Are we basing it on the assumption that he must have promise or he wouldn't have been a 1st rounder? Sure, we haven't seen anything from him during his NFL career to date, but the lack of opportunity is surely down to ability, not that he has not had any opportunities....?

I really don't see where you get the optimism for. He's been with the club for two seasons and done zilch. Are we basing it on the assumption that he must have promise or he wouldn't have been a 1st rounder? Sure, we haven't seen anything from him during his NFL career to date, but the lack of opportunity is surely down to ability, not that he has not had any opportunities....?

It's been there but people like you and others don't see it because you don't want to see it.

Hughes has played behind two all-pro defensive ends.

• When you look at the number of snaps he's played in two years, he's played the equivalent of about 4 games.
  • But in those snaps you have seen (if you were looking) someone who is very quick off the snap, has field awareness and last year was close to getting 4 or 5 sacks. With additional playing time you would see those almost sacks start becoming sacks and knock downs.
  • He's the only DE the last two years who has shown any ability to recognize and defend the bootleg to his side.

You know what's really funny. I remember having a similar conversation with someone on the Indystar forum about Freeney. The guy was talking about what a wasted pick he was and if he was any good he'd be starting. My response was basically... he has looked disruptive when he's been in the game, when he becomes a starter it's really going to show.

Now, I don't think Hughes is as good as Freeney but he has been disruptive when he's been in the game. The biggest reason why Freeney got a shot earlier in his career than Hughes is because Freeney was playing behind Bratzke (a good all around DE) and Scioli, whereas Hughes is playing behind Freeney and Mathis.

He didn't really play in his rookie year. And last year, none of our ends had particularly good seasons, mostly due to the ridiculous scheme we used.

As far as I can tell, his problem is that he lacks strength to handle tackles straight up, and he doesn't have the pass rush moves that other smaller ends have. That's why I think a move to outside linebacker would be ideal for him, as purely a stand-up pass rusher (and the pre-draft scouts all said the same thing). He's much more Shawne Merriman/Cameron Wake than Dwight Freeney/Robert Mathis. Has crazy athleticism and agility, great pursuit, good motor, and while he's undersized as an end, he'd be huge as a linebacker. Without having to go straight up at the line with tackles, he can simply use his speed and a shoulder dip to get around them.

He was NOT a good pick, considering his production and the needs of the team. Probably the worst first round pick of the Polian era. (Of course, Polian projected him as a starter in 2012 when Mathis' contract is up, so if he suddenly turns it on and proves to be an adequate replacement, then we might have to give him some credit; but even Polian admitted that it wasn't a good pick.) That said, he's under contract for the next three years, with a very reasonable cap hit. We can even restructure his contract to lower his cap hit. If you separate the disappointment of the blown pick and the lack of production from the first two seasons -- given the fact that his draft status wasn't enough to get him on the field instead of Freeney and Mathis -- then you might see that any kind of scheme change has the potential to place him in a better situation.

We did the same thing with Donald Brown for two years. Very disappointing at first, especially in the middle of 2010, and while he wasn't worthy of a first round pick, he's not a bad back. Rather than being so adamant that Jerry Hughes is a waste of a roster spot, let's see what Pagano and Manusky can do with him. Might be pleasantly surprised.