Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae is week-to-week

CR91

Yes it hurts! VD seems can't stay on the field, but goes for a lot of players on this team. Really frustrating with nagging injuries to key players every year. Only can hope the young guys bring it or may pick up help after cuts. Sure don't want Melvin on the 1s. 

NEXT MAN UP!

Come on down Quincy Wilson. You played RCB your entire career in college, and that is where you line up for the Indianapolis Colts on Opening Day. 

Hairston starts in the nickel. I believe that was happening with or without the Vontae injury.

4 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

NEXT MAN UP!

Come on down Quincy Wilson. You played RCB your entire career in college, and that is where you line up for the Indianapolis Colts on Opening Day. 

Hairston starts in the nickel. I believe that was happening with or without the Vontae injury.

T.J.Green...lol

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

T.J.Green...lol

:)

Always possible.

Might as well go all rookie and/or new to the position.

RCB - Wilson

LCB - Green

SCB - Hairston

After a few weeks add Hooker at FS. :D

Talk about some NFL inexperience at the corner position. 

All joking aside, I think this is the reason we will roll with Melvin early on at LCB. 

RCB - Wilson

LCB - Melvin

SCB - Hairston

There is going to be some baptism by fire in our secondary to start this season. However, that should be a heck of a group once they get some experience. 

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

:)

Always possible.

Might as well go all rookie and/or new to the position.

RCB - Wilson

LCB - Green

SCB - Hairston

After a few weeks add Hooker at FS. :D

Talk about some NFL inexperience at the corner position. 

All joking aside, I think this is the reason we will roll with Melvin early on at LCB. 

RCB - Wilson

LCB - Melvin

SCB - Hairston

There is going to be some baptism by fire in our secondary to start this season. However, that should be a heck of a group once they get some experience. 

Honestly I'd take the rookies along with Green this season seems like a dud anyway 

"Significant" groin injuries,  even one that doesn't need surgery can take a ong, long time to heal.

Don't be surprised if Vonte Goes on the PUP and has to miss the first 6 games of the season.

I'm not predicting it,   just saying don't be shocked if it happens.....

I think that starting trio may actually end up being Wilson, Culliver, and Melvin. Or Wilson, White, and Melvin. Hairston playing the dime corner. I can see him starting at nickel as well though. I'm not that panicked about the secondary if we go majority zones.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

"Significant" groin injuries,  even one that doesn't need surgery can take a ong, long time to heal.

Don't be surprised if Vonte Goes on the PUP and has to miss the first 6 games of the season.

I thought the same thing. "Week to week" is a death knell with this staff of coaches, typically. It happened with Greg Toler too, and he never was 100% again for the year. Instead of playing hero, we just need to make the PUP decision and let him heal better instead of chancing it after 1 or 2 games.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think he can be put on PUP. I believe he has to already be on the PUP during preseason to start the regular season on PUP. 

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't think he can be put on PUP. I believe he has to already be on the PUP during preseason to start the regular season on PUP. 

I understand.    And that's what I'm looking for.   Ballard puts Vonte on the PUP before the deadline so VD can come off the list after the first 6 games.   

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand.    And that's what I'm looking for.   Ballard puts Vonte on the PUP before the deadline so VD can come off the list after the first 6 games.   

I don't think it's possible now. I believe Vontae would need to be put on PUP before training camp started. 

I don't think any player who participates in training camp is eligible for the preseason PUP, and they must be on the preseason PUP to be eligible for the regular season PUP. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't think it's possible now. I believe Vontae would need to be put on PUP before training camp started. 

I don't think any player who participates in training camp is eligible for the preseason PUP, and they must be on the preseason PUP to be eligible for the regular season PUP. 

You maybe right.     I don't pretend to know the PUP rule that well..     But that sure doesn't feel right.     

I guess we we will soon find out...

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

not possible. 

per nfl.com

"A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes."

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

You maybe right.     I don't pretend to know the PUP rule that well..     But that sure doesn't feel right.     

I guess we we will soon find out...

No worries. None of us can keep all of these rules straight anyway. I forget half of them from one year to the next. Maybe @Superman has the time. :)

I am so tired of the Colts using the "week to week" denotation.  We heard that last year a few times and then those players were put on IR not long after. A severe groin injury is at least 3-4 weeks to heal and that is with very painful rehab then comes getting back into game shape. I hate to say it but I don't see him back until week 3. I played hockey for 23 years and trust me a severe groin injury is no laughing matter

6 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I am so tired of the Colts using the "week to week" denotation.  We heard that last year a few times and then those players were put on IR not long after. A severe groin injury is at least 3-4 weeks to heal and that is with very painful rehab then comes getting back into game shape. I hate to say it but I don't see him back until week 3. I played hockey for 23 years and trust me a severe groin injury is no laughing matter

Fortunately, I have never suffered a groin injury. However, "my gut" tells me Vontae is out at least until mid October, and he might not be back until the end of November.

I don't think there is any realistic chance that Vontae or Kelly plays in September. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Fortunately, I have never suffered a groin injury. However, "my gut" tells me Vontae is out at least until mid October, and he might not be back until the end of November.

I don't think there is any realistic chance that Vontae or Kelly plays in September. 

I see Davis going on the PUP on cutdown day

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:53 AM, lollygagger8 said:

It sure would be nice not to have a secondary that's always hurt year after year after year. 

Can't help but wonder if that just sealed Vontae's fate for next year. 

Well if I were a GM who is signing players to big money and being counted on for games in a season, I am not signing a guy who is wrong side of 30 with a rich history of being injured each year besides his first one. I don't care if its deon sanders in his prime, if he misses more than he plays, whats the benefit to having a high cap superstar who is on the injury bench? It is time to cut bait with him unless it is a major team friendly contract with playing time incentives. Ankle, groin and whatever other issues he has had, it is just time to move on imho.