Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Season Prediction

AKB

It's partially related to today's game and partially not. 

This team without Andrew Luck is a 4-12 team at best. That's what the record is based on.

Honestly, I think we are going to intentionally tank this season. I probably sound insane. But this season will be the second iteration of  "suck for luck". 

Luck will likely have some "setback" when he begins to throw, and sit out the entire season.

All extremely speculative without any facts may it be; it is my prediction. 

I think we go 11-5 if we stay healthy. That is if Luck is back week 1. Kelly and Moncrief will be back. So will Joe Haeg. I sat at the game today and was ready to leave by mid 2nd quarter, but remember it is preseason and we always were terrible in preseason with Manning. 

Btw we were also one of the last 4 teams to report to training camp so we have a little less preparing than other teams. 

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Obviously we have a lot of improvement to make defensively and it will take time like it did with the O-line last year.

We need to score 25-35 points a game which, with Luck, we are very capable of doing

I think Andrew plays in week 1 and we go 10-6..

Very much true. Here is the deal. Even the Patriots, if they do not score in the close to 25 range consistently, are not going to win 10 plus games. That is the NFL we live in, no two ways about it with the current rules.

It is harder to build teams like the Seahawks that can overcome offensive inefficiencies for a long period of time for the entire season like they were doing last year.

So, even if we have the defense to make plays, expecting them to make plays AND overcome a lop sided TOP as a result of an inept offense is too much to ask, even for a Top 10 D, which we haven't shown we are right now. So either Andrew has to play for us to win 10 games or we get a very capable back up and pony up the money if there is any chance at all that Andrew misses 2-4 games. 

Our offensive ineptitude rises and falls in parallel with Andrew's playing time.

If we thought Luck would be out for the year, another QB would be here....

...We may be overanalyzing this.

We're still talking about September 9 and this is mid-August

I dont know obviously but it would be unusual If Luck is throwing some now but could not throw well enough to play by Labor Day.

Defensively, we renovated everything. There's not way we'll be able to 'stop' many teams with good and experienced QBs. Fortunately, our division really doesn't have any.

Nobody wants again and again to hear that it all comes down to Luck but..

...its all comes down to Luck

If the Colts end up with a poor record this season...it won't be the end of the world.  It might actually set up the Colts nicely for the future with Ballard now calling the shots and managing the resultant high draft picks.  Irsay himself even said he'd accept a down year here or there if it puts us in better position to win more Lombardi's down the road. Maybe that was his way of trying to prepare us for the upcoming season.  

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Andrew doesn't play a single game this season.

&

We go 4-12 or 3-13

We are barely deeper than our starters. So too many injuries would certainly lead to a very tough season.

If Andrew doesn't not play at all in 2017 then we will probably only win about 3-4 games, because we have no backup quarterback, and it is too late to find one now. 

Andrew is playing in 2017, and our starters are very strong. So if we can stay "relatively" healthy then there is no reason why we should not win 8-12 games.

We cannot afford to have as many injuries this year as we usually do, because our depth is atrocious. 

14 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

If the Colts end up with a poor record this season...it won't be the end of the world.  It might actually set up the Colts nicely for the future with Ballard now calling the shots and managing the resultant high draft picks.  Irsay himself even said he'd accept a down year here or there if it puts us in better position to win more Lombardi's down the road. Maybe that was his way of trying to prepare us for the upcoming season.  

Completely agree. They may ease Luck if he is not ready to fully go this season. Since bringing Luck in, they really haven't had a very down year to reload with very high draft picks.

Tennessee had very good fortunes of having a down year the year they drafted Mariota, then wound up with the 1st overall pick the year after which they were able to get a bounty for since they already had their QB. Indy could benefit from a scenario like this. I think in the long run it would benefit the future more than having another mediocre 8-8 season.  

2 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

After 1 week of preseason when we were missing half our starting defense, starting QB, starting RB and the leader of our Oline?

Okaaaay....

We're a .500 team right now.

We weren't missing our coach were we!!!!!  Got out coached......again. 

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Completely agree. They may ease Luck if he is not ready to fully go this season. Since bringing Luck in, they really haven't had a very down year to reload with very high draft picks.

Tennessee had very good fortunes of having a down year the year they drafted Mariota, then wound up with the 1st overall pick the year after which they were able to get a bounty for since they already had their QB. Indy could benefit from a scenario like this. I think in the long run it would benefit the future more than having another mediocre 8-8 season.  

Agreed...it sounds crazy but at this stage of  the game I could stomach a 4-12 type season because I now have confidence in the GM remaking this team.  Ballard could give us an infusion of young talent and  with high draft picks to work with.  He'd be able to potentially add significant talent  to the nucleus already in place. 

2 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

This team without Andrew Luck is a 4-12 team at best. That's what the record is based on.

Honestly, I think we are going to intentionally tank this season. I probably sound insane. But this season will be the second iteration of  "suck for luck". 

Luck will likely have some "setback" when he begins to throw, and sit out the entire season.

i

Ok, you could very well be right. Even with Luck, this team could have a sub .500 record in his starts.

Now if your right, and we have a top 1-3 overall pick what happens???

Do we use that pick to Build around Luck?

Or does Ballard use that pick on a potential franchise QB and trade Luck for a bounty of top picks & players?

They say the 2018 Draft Class is the year of the QB, several highly rated prospects....they also said Luck was the best prospect since Elway.

But remember, this organization cut Peyton Manning, so anything is possible.

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

i

Ok, you could very well be right. Even with Luck, this team could have a sub .500 record in his starts.

Or does Ballard use that pick on a potential franchise QB and trade Luck for a bounty of top picks & players?

They say the 2018 Draft Class is the year of the QB, several highly rated prospects....they also said Luck was the best prospect since Elway.

Ballard would be smart to trade the high pick and use the bounty of picks to build a Super Bowl team around Luck.

If Sam Darnold comes out then the #1 overall pick could be worth about 3-4 first round picks and 3-4 second round picks. 

I think we'll go 5-11 if Luck misses 6 games. We finished 8-8 last season, probably would be projected one game better with the draft and FA's we picked up, but if Luck misses 6 games, I could see us going 1-5 or 2-4 very easily with Tolzien. If Luck plays, we'll probably go 8-8 or 9-7 depending on our rookies. I could see Luck struggling a bit with some game rust, but it'll be another mediocre year with a possible wild card spot at best IMO if Luck is fully healthy.

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

i

Given the fact that Luck is being paid top dollar, I highly doubt they would trade him. I'm willing to bet they would take offers from teams needing to draft a QB. They could easily get a 1st this year, 2nd, and a 1st and 2nd in 2019 just to move down 5 spots or so.

Ballard could then use all those added picks to load up this team on young talent.

10 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

i

In my opinion, I think it will depend on Luck's future health prognosis...similar to Manning.  If he is hurt worse than we are being led to believe then it isn't beyond the realm of possibility of him being replaced by the next new hyped up  franchise QB wonder boy.  However, if he has a reasonably healthy future prognosis, then the Colts could either keep the pick and take the best available defensive playmaker available or trade the pick for a king's ransom to a quarterback hungry franchise dying to trade up.  I'd prefer the latter scenario.

Tolzein has been pretty good the last few times he played iirc, with a comeback against Pittsburgh that Pagano sabatoged. I actually think they have a chance with him if this team is playing inspired football. That's what I think the season hinges on this year. If they're an 8-8 team again by recent standards, they'll be a 4-12 team now.

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

In my opinion, I think it will depend on Luck's future health prognosis...similar to Manning.  If he is hurt worse than we are being led to believe then it isn't beyond the realm of possibility of him being replaced by the next new hyped up  franchise QB wonder boy.  However, if he has a reasonably healthy future prognosis, then the Colts could either keep the pick and take the best available defensive playmaker available or trade the pick for a king's ransom to a quarterback hungry franchise dying to trade up.  I'd prefer the latter scenario.

I would love to see Luck's prognosis be completely fine going forward and his velocity from his surgically repaired shoulder is better than ever. I would be fine with giving him the year to fully heal up, then get a king's ransom for a top 5 pick from a QB hungry team. That would set this team up for a possible championship window of 5 or more years.

Just now, BProland85 said:

I would love to see Luck's prognosis be completely fine going forward and his velocity from his surgically repaired shoulder is better than ever. I would be fine with giving him the year to fully heal up, then get a king's ransom for a top 5 pick from a QB hungry team. That would set this team up for a possible championship window of 5 or more years.

Agreed.

Good lord another one of these posts.  Please jump on another teams forum and ride their bandwagon.  Ballard has great comments about Luck with strength and getting stronger than he was at any point last year and you feel the "setback" is a guarantee.  Luck to miss the whole season??  We are going to tank this year??  Who comes up with this stuff...especially after one, ONE, pre-season game.  Hilarious!

15 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Good lord another one of these posts.  Please jump on another teams forum and ride their bandwagon.  Ballard has great comments about Luck with strength and getting stronger than he was at any point last year and you feel the "setback" is a guarantee.  Luck to miss the whole season??  We are going to tank this year??  Who comes up with this stuff...especially after one, ONE, pre-season game.  Hilarious!

I think he plays, game 1 probably, but even if he does, a winning season is not guaranteed for this team.  

16 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

You really think Pagano will want to "intentionally tank this season" when his job is in jeopardy? If you have his job, do you really want to get fired during or after the season? Yeah, I don't think so.

I really don't get this "Suck For Luck" thing. 

13 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Given the fact that Luck is being paid top dollar, I highly doubt they would trade him. I'm willing to bet they would take offers from teams needing to draft a QB. They could easily get a 1st this year, 2nd, and a 1st and 2nd in 2019 just to move down 5 spots or so.

Ballard could then use all those added picks to load up this team on young talent.

I think you mis read what was said. I think it was meant for a high draft pick to be traded away for a team that needs a QB, not Luck being traded.

15 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Obviously we have a lot of improvement to make defensively and it will take time like it did with the O-line last year.

We need to score 25-35 points a game which, with Luck, we are very capable of doing

I think Andrew plays in week 1 and we go 10-6..

Yeah, I think 10-6 with Luck

Lets address this suck for luck bull crap.

In the 2012 off season, Irsay fired, Caldwell, Chris And Bill Polian, the almost the entire coaching staff, over half the roster, including Peyton Manning, Jeff Saturday, Bracket, Addai, Dallas Clark, Bullit, Garcon, Diem and many many others.

You're telling me that Jim Irsay, sometime in the 2011 season, gave the order for the team to entirely tank the season in order to draft Andrew Luck and then he fired all those that would have been directly responsible for making sure that order happened and somehow, not a single one of them would spill the beans?!  There is no way in hell he could have paid off that many people, most of whom are multi-millionaires, to keep their mouths shut and to tank the entire season.  Its nuts and anyone who believes that notion needs to take their tin foil hat off.

It's not enough to say "we're an X-Y team without Andrew Luck".  You have to assume a certain level of back-up QB play.  If you assume abysmal QB play, then I agree...we're a 4-12 team.  If you assume average QB play, then we are at least an 8-8 team IMO.  From everything I've heard so far, the former seems reasonable.  However, I really believe that Luck will miss one or zero games, making us an 11-5 team...