Colts release 10 players including LS Matt Overton

MTC

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I wasn't expecting Overton to be cut. But Pagano said something in his pre-draft interview with Bob Lamey that caught my ear. Jeff Locke, the new punter they signed, is a lefty punter. Pagano said that would be something new for the division, which is true. (The Pats also have a lefty punter. When the Colts played them in the AFCCG, they brought in a lefty that week for practice.) 

I would imagine that Locke likes a certain kind of long snapper. Maybe Overton couldn't spin the ball the way Locke needs it. Pure speculation on my part, by the way.

As for AV, the holder is more important than the snapper. Not that the snapper isn't important, but he already had a huge adjustment once McAfee left. The snapper is minor, in comparison. 

Yuuup. Exactly what I put. 

I agree on the second part as well. It is easy to find a good long snapper for field goals, as a lot of pro guards and centers have done it throughout high school and college. A good holder is very important because the ball needs to be lined up perfect so the kicker doesn't kick the laces or wrong part of the ball, causing an inaccurate attempt. 

3 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Yuuup. Exactly what I put. 

I agree on the second part as well. It is easy to find a good long snapper for field goals, as a lot of pro guards and centers have done it throughout high school and college. A good holder is very important because the ball needs to be lined up perfect so the kicker doesn't kick the laces or wrong part of the ball, causing an inaccurate attempt. 

Yup, I didn't see your post before I made mine. 

To add on, the long snapper is more important for punt coverage, because he actually has to get down the field. So it won't be an OL on punt team. 

They must really like Josh Ferguson if he is still on the roster. I don't see it. Would have never expected Overton to be gone before Ferguson was.

I also never would have expected Overton and Mcafee to be off the roster before Vinatieri retired. 

Just goes to show that anything can happen in the offseason. I was shocked when Nate Irving was cut last year. I wonder if there is any more shocking cuts coming up. Maybe Adam isn't even safe...

34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Upgraded?? How do you upgrade a player who has made no mistakes?

Yes, upgraded. Playing LS is much more than making obvious mistakes. 

But also, Overton hasn't really been good recently.

57 minutes ago, IinD said:

We'll be fine. I'm not sweating a LS being let go. 

Not me either.   However, the loss of a good LS and a great punter means that the special teams will be much worse this year. 

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

As a lefty punter and kicker for 4 years varsity(lol), it does make a difference.  

Not to mention that every long snapper has small differences in their technique. It could simply be that our new punter prefers how the new guy snaps to what he's seen from Overton 

Great hearing from a former punter I am coming from a C/LS point of view

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

my guess is Ballard's commitment to lowering the age of the roster.  Honestly, I see Adam V going next year, whether he retires or is released remains to be seen

I think if we wanted to release him, we would let him go out on his own terms. I seriously doubt he would want to sign with another team, if they even wanted to sign him in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

They must really like Josh Ferguson if he is still on the roster. I don't see it. Would have never expected Overton to be gone before Ferguson was.

I also never would have expected Overton and Mcafee to be off the roster before Vinatieri retired. 

Just goes to show that anything can happen in the offseason. I was shocked when Nate Irving was cut last year. I wonder if there is any more shocking cuts coming up. Maybe Adam isn't even safe...

Adam won't be cut. I would bet 100 dollars on that. He has consistently put up good numbers. I would like a kicker with a little bit more of a leg tho. That could kick it from 55+ if needed too. 

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Adam won't be cut. I would bet 100 dollars on that. He has consistently put up good numbers. I would like a kicker with a little bit more of a leg tho. That could kick it from 55+ if needed too. 

didnt AV just  hit a 55 yarder last year? or was that the yr before?

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

didnt AV just  hit a 55 yarder last year? or was that the yr before?

He hit a 54 yarder. Pretty solid. But his career percentage outside of 50 yards has never been good. He's a great kicker. That's just my one knock on him. 

8 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Who cares it's a LS haha 

Lol well I think it is more of a shocker because he has been such a good LS, but also such a good teammate and close friend to AV and the rest of the team. He has helped our community tremendously as well. But yeah, it's not like we cut Vontae Davis or Moncrief. Lol 

Should not be a surprise - NFL business at its coldest.  It is simple math - get someone who can do the job at a far lesser salary.

Overton got his job the same way when they cut Justin Snow in 2012.  Tis the way the NFL works.

1 hour ago, James said:

Yes, upgraded. Playing LS is much more than making obvious mistakes. 

But also, Overton hasn't really been good recently.

Really? List the games spots where he has messed up. I am interested to know.

4 hours ago, James said:

Overton was a great guy off the field, but in terms of performances on the field I honestly thought he could be upgraded

For the love of all that is Holy...

You spend a lot of time grading long snappers do you?

59 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I want Adam as long as he's willing to play. I want us to milk the years out of that guy and give him the decency of retiring as a colt. He's the best kicker of all time I think. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Really? List the games spots where he has messed up. I am interested to know.

I mean read the Stampede Blue article, it mentions specific instances from the Jets game.

2 hours ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

I want Adam as long as he's willing to play. I want us to milk the years out of that guy and give him the decency of retiring as a colt. He's the best kicker of all time I think. 

It sure would be nice to go far in the playoffs and maybe a Superbowl win to make him an all time Colt.    Although he has been a Colt longer, I think most recognize him as a Patriot first because of his timely kicks with them.  

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

He hit a 54 yarder. Pretty solid. But his career percentage outside of 50 yards has never been good. He's a great kicker. That's just my one knock on him. 

He has a 62% career percentage from beyond 50 and 68% since he's been in Indy and 82.3% over the last 3 years.  Without looking at all the kickers in the NFL I'd bet you would be hard pressed to find someone more accurate from beyond 50 than that.

53 minutes ago, corgi said:

I mean read the Stampede Blue article, it mentions specific instances from the Jets game.

One Jets game?? Oh my god, he might have made a mistake. We all know any player that makes a mistake needs to be fired. :sarcasm: