Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think Colts will win division next year

lennymoore24

I would be shocked if we went 11-5 again. Think the division will be 3-3, 4-2 at the very best. A 9-7 season and playoffs would be great, but the defense is a total unknown for now. Should be much improved, but how long will it take to get them up and running? Who knows. And will Chud and Pagano step it up?

15 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Andrew Luck just had his second surgery and no one knows how bad it really is. 

Im afraid he wont be ready for game one, or at least he will need some games to really be back and in form.

Our defence wont be ready and will not click from day one, so this year will be a transition / development year for the whole defence, and for new players to learn how they all roll. 

I dont think we win AFC South this up coming season, but that the future is ours.

Things need time, and next time we will end up in the playoffs, it will be with a coach not named Pagano. 

Link to his second surgery? More info is needed.

17 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I find it odd that so many "experts" think the Colts are still a year or two off from returning to the playoffs.  They talk about our lack of talent and too many holes and it will take awhile to come together.  But I fully expect the Colts to win the division next season, and here is why:

1) The Colts, statistically, have the weakest schedule in the NFL.  I know that can all change because some teams with bad records will get better.  But their schedule is not by any means real hard.

2) The Colts could have easily been 10-6 last year if they had pulled out the games against the Texans, for one.  And considering the Colts were playing with an epically  bad defense, they guys they have drafted and signed cannot be possibly do better than they did last year.  I feel like the players they have signed and drafted should add at least 2 more wins next season.  The offense is pretty good.

So I really don't get it.  We were almost there with a terribly faulted team last year.  I expect the defense to make a move from like 30th to 20th, which is still not good enough, but good enough to win the division in my opinion.

No harm there.   I think the Titans will win it and the Texans and Colts will be close behind.  

I don't put too much stock in the "what if's".   Sure the Colts could have been 10-6 "IF" they would have beaten the Texans, but the Titans could have been 11-5 had they beat the Colts.  

It all depends on how they play offense this year way to many 5 and 7 step drop backs to throw down field with a line full of rookies and injuries last year. The O-line should be much better this year with 1 year under its belt and a new O-line coach well help them a lot and I know a lot of the people on this site say the right side of the line is the problem, Haeg needed to get into the weight room this off season lets see if he bulked up, Good needed to loose some weight and the colts just drafted a kid out of USC so lets see what we have during training camp. If they play smart football football this year and play clock management while luck mends from surgery and the rookies on defense and new guys catches up it could be a good year and the colts could go far and possibly win the division but if they play like they did last year and use the same philosophy of chucking the ball 20 to 25 yards and have luck stand in the pocket and hold on to the ball 5 to 7 seconds they will loose.

As with other teams - the only thing that will hold the Colts back will be the insane limitations of the current CBA.  Those limitations (which were demanded mainly by established players and their agents - already comfortable in their position) limit the development of young players and the conditioning of the entire roster.  The current CBA is the reason for so many injuries and the generally poor fundamental skill displayed by many teams.

17 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

3-3 at best in our div.
 I predict 2-4.
 Decent (20%) chance 1-5.

Unfortunately, I think this year is going to be rough still.  I believe TN will win the division and Texans will finish 2nd.  Colts stuck in 3rd again, albeit, with an improved record. (we may tie Texans for 2nd but lose the tie breaker).  With the division improving, not just the Colts, we could be 2 years away before we win the division, maybe we get a wildcard a season after this one.  Not fun, but we are headed the right direction for future.  I agree with Irsay, I see Ballard being here for a long time (maybe not Pagano)

14 hours ago, SilentHill said:

Atlanta made the SB with a bunch of youngins.

I expect to at least take this division title.

Exactly. These defensive players are coming out and coming to play. A lot of them are projected to be prospects and to take a year or two to develop into a solid/good starter, but they aren't taking near as long. I think Hooker and Wilson are going to help tremendously. 

1 minute ago, Old Colt said:

Unfortunately, I think this year is going to be rough still.  I believe TN will win the division and Texans will finish 2nd.  Colts stuck in 3rd again, albeit, with an improved record. (we may tie Texans for 2nd but lose the tie breaker).  With the division improving, not just the Colts, we could be 2 years away before we win the division, maybe we get a wildcard a season after this one.  Not fun, but we are headed the right direction for future.  I agree with Irsay, I see Ballard being here for a long time (maybe not Pagano)

I agree with you.   I thin this division will be improved this year and continue in the coming years.  

I'm afraid Grigson cost us the opportune years to an easy road to the playoffs.  

27 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

As with other teams - the only thing that will hold the Colts back will be the insane limitations of the current CBA.  Those limitations (which were demanded mainly by established players and their agents - already comfortable in their position) limit the development of young players and the conditioning of the entire roster.  The current CBA is the reason for so many injuries and the generally poor fundamental skill displayed by many teams.

Great post.  

I'm not sure why Tennessee gets so much love.   They really are not that much better with this draft than they were last year.   Yeah they picked up some rookie receivers.  Doesn't concern me too much because Mariota is still feeling his way around as a passer.  At least it definitely feels that way when we play him.   I feel we have a very good shot with the team we have now and Ballard isn't even done tweaking this thing yet.   Some of you talk about this team like we've gone 2-15 the last two years.

18 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Andrew Luck just had his second surgery and no one knows how bad it really is. 

Im afraid he wont be ready for game one, or at least he will need some games to really be back and in form.

Our defence wont be ready and will not click from day one, so this year will be a transition / development year for the whole defence, and for new players to learn how they all roll. 

I dont think we win AFC South this up coming season, but that the future is ours.

Things need time, and next time we will end up in the playoffs, it will be with a coach not named Pagano. 

This is the most realistic scenario.

2018 though.....the league better watch out.

20 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I find it odd that so many "experts" think the Colts are still a year or two off from returning to the playoffs.  They talk about our lack of talent and too many holes and it will take awhile to come together.  But I fully expect the Colts to win the division next season, and here is why:

1) The Colts, statistically, have the weakest schedule in the NFL.  I know that can all change because some teams with bad records will get better.  But their schedule is not by any means real hard.

2) The Colts could have easily been 10-6 last year if they had pulled out the games against the Texans, for one.  And considering the Colts were playing with an epically  bad defense, they guys they have drafted and signed cannot be possibly do better than they did last year.  I feel like the players they have signed and drafted should add at least 2 more wins next season.  The offense is pretty good.

So I really don't get it.  We were almost there with a terribly faulted team last year.  I expect the defense to make a move from like 30th to 20th, which is still not good enough, but good enough to win the division in my opinion.

DISCLAIMER:  I am aware everything is specuation.  We don't know anything yet how things will turn out.  But that is the whole point of forums.  We speculate about things.   Don't need someone to say "We need to wait till we see these guys play....".  Yeah, we all know that!

Texas Game 1 went into prevent defense and smoked the lead away 

Game 2 called a screen on 4th & 1. Why would you go back 4 yards to gain 1?

I gotta feeling Chuck is on the hot seat this year. 

I'm only hoping he stays cause I don't want Andrew to keep having different coaches 

1 minute ago, TKnight24 said:

Texas Game 1 went into prevent defense and smoked the lead away 

Game 2 called a screen on 4th & 1. Why would you go back 4 yards to gain 1?

I gotta feeling Chuck is on the hot seat this year. 

I'm only hoping he stays cause I don't want Andrew to keep having different coaches 

Hot?  I would venture all four legs of his little chair are already charred to the point of snapping.

I think they have upgraded the defense.  I hope the offensive line is better next year.  I think Zach Banner could be a beast, even though he has to make some improvements.  I loved the Mack pick.  Having a 3rd running back will be nice.  I know Gore is going to get the bulk of the carries and Turbin will get some as well but I like this Mack kid.  He can learn from the best as well.  I know the Texans have a great defense, have had our number the past 2 years and drafted a QB but honestly I am not as concerned about them.  I think the Titans are going to be tough.  They have a lot of young talent.  The Jaguars have a lot of young talent too and could be scary but they never seem to prove it on the field.  I think the Colts will do well if all of the main core guys stay healthy.  I loved the DB additions in the draft.  I think Q Wilson will be a great corner, athletic, great size at 6'2" and pretty physical.  I am excited for the season to start.  I think they had a decent draft.  I understand rebuilding takes some time. 

27 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm not sure why Tennessee gets so much love.   They really are not that much better with this draft than they were last year.   Yeah they picked up some rookie receivers.  Doesn't concern me too much because Mariota is still feeling his way around as a passer.  At least it definitely feels that way when we play him.   I feel we have a very good shot with the team we have now and Ballard isn't even done tweaking this thing yet.   Some of you talk about this team like we've gone 2-15 the last two years.

Mariota is now in his 3rd year.   He improved in his first 2 years and will be better this year with a solid offensive line, good RB's and a good WR core.   I think all 4 teams in the division have improved from last year.   It's not unexpected to see people thinking we may end up 3rd again.  

But we can have hope.   I do think the Colts have a chance to go 12-4.   If the defense comes together quickly, the O-line improves and Luck is healthy, the could be much improved. 

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Mariota is now in his 3rd year.   He improved in his first 2 years and will be better this year with a solid offensive line, good RB's and a good WR core.   I think all 4 teams in the division have improved from last year.   It's not unexpected to see people thinking we may end up 3rd again.  

But we can have hope.   I do think the Colts have a chance to go 12-4.   If the defense comes together quickly, the O-line improves and Luck is healthy, the could be much improved. 

With an improved defense(which was mainly the problem last year) I think we can go about 10-6.   Maybe better but that's what I think for right now until the bullets start flying. 

take it one game at a time...this is a rebuild i know people don't like to use that word but we are thin on the talent side. I'd like to see a team that people fear playing and a team you know if going to give you fits in all phases of the game. it will take some time lets give CB a chance to see if he can truly transform a team and a league wide perception of the colts.

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

He had a surgery in 2009 and missed the Sun Bowl.

so this is his second surgery.

On his finger lol. Should we count when he likely got his wisdom teeth removed. Puhlease to equate that surgery to anything is a reach if worrying about Lucks durability. I wonder if he has had his apendix removed, then we can hear about all three times he went under the knife.

On 4/30/2017 at 3:12 PM, a06cc said:

Hey I've been saying this for months. If Chuck doesn't win the division this season. Well we all know what's going to happen. 

I believe if we start this season off 0-2 like the last 3 years paganos out the door week 3. 

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

No we gave them games with a ribbon on top. JMO. 

I agree, but Titans fans may say the same.  

It's just that every game in the NFL is such an anomaly.   I think the season has to be taken as a whole.  

I do think each team in the AFC South has improved and could possibly win 10 games (Jags being the longest shot).   I expect the South to relinquish the "worst division" title this year.   The AFC East may get that title even with the Champ Patriots in it.  

8 hours ago, Archangel said:

It all depends on how they play offense this year way to many 5 and 7 step drop backs to throw down field with a line full of rookies and injuries last year. The O-line should be much better this year with 1 year under its belt and a new O-line coach well help them a lot and I know a lot of the people on this site say the right side of the line is the problem, Haeg needed to get into the weight room this off season lets see if he bulked up, Good needed to loose some weight and the colts just drafted a kid out of USC so lets see what we have during training camp. If they play smart football football this year and play clock management while luck mends from surgery and the rookies on defense and new guys catches up it could be a good year and the colts could go far and possibly win the division but if they play like they did last year and use the same philosophy of chucking the ball 20 to 25 yards and have luck stand in the pocket and hold on to the ball 5 to 7 seconds they will loose.

Unfortunately, that's been the offensive philosophy since Luck arrived.  I don't get it,  but then again I don't get Chuck.

Bottom Line for me is this: You're in a division where you have Tom ******* Savage starting for the "best" team and imo your only real competition for the division... You have no excuse not to win this crapshow. Hell, Savage is going play so badly that I'm almost 100% sure Watson will start a good portion of the season. 

11 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Bottom Line for me is this: You're in a division where you have Tom ******* Savage starting for the "best" team and imo your only real competition for the division... You have no excuse not to win this crapshow. Hell, Savage is going play so badly that I'm almost 100% sure Watson will start a good portion of the season. 

That's true.   It's just that the Texans are better than the Colts at almost every position except the QB.  I think Ballard has made up some ground on them though.   I really don't know if Savage will be decent or not.   Not enough NFL snaps to make a call.  

In his favor:

4th year in the league.   He's not a rookie.

In limited action has thrown for over 60% completions.

With the defense and run game, he really only has to be a game manager and getting the majority of snaps may help him.