Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Zach Banner, OL, USC (Merge)

BlueShoe

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

:scratch:
 If you like slow as sloth Guards, welcome to the Colts.
 What a nightmare. This sickens me.

You have to watch the kids film. The coaches will whip him into shape. He isn't slow, just sloppy with his play at times. Inconsistent as a pass blocker. He is great at run blocking though. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand everyone's concern over his height at guard but why don't we think positively? I mean this guys a giant, we wanted to protect Andrew how about you throw in a guy with this size to go in there and compete to help the team? I like this pick and if we can't get one of the most talented linemen in the draft why not go after rare size?? I still trust in Ballard 100%

2 minutes ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

I understand everyone's concern over his height at guard but why don't we think positively? I mean this guys a giant, we wanted to protect Andrew how about you throw in a guy with this size to go in there and compete to help the team? I like this pick and if we can't get one of the most talented linemen in the draft why not go after rare size?? I still trust in Ballard 100%

He's 6'8 bring him in on the defensive line to knock down passes.,,,lol

21 minutes ago, a06cc said:

You have to watch the kids film. The coaches will whip him into shape. He isn't slow, just sloppy with his play at times. Inconsistent as a pass blocker. He is great at run blocking though. 

Yeah, Phibian probably knows a little bit more than we do about who to select on the o-line. 

9 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Hopefully this makes up for us passing on Lael Collins. What a mistake that was smh

You realize Collins went in the 2nd round,  right?

So,  almost every team passed on him once.....     he was better than teams thought....    it happens...

Thrilled with Banner....       pleased to hear that the Colts showed the most interest in him.     We clearly targeted him.      Ballard and Philbin gave him a private workout.

Philbin is one of the best OL coaches in the business.      If he signed off on him,   and I'm sure he did,   then that's all I need to know.      Is it a lock that Banner is great,  or even very good?      No. 

But I trust Joe Philbin.     And I trust Chris Ballard.        As far as I'm concerned,  Ballard is 6 for 6 with his picks.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So,  almost every team passed on him once.....     he was better than teams thought....    it happens...

You're thinking about Landon Collins. La'el Collins went undrafted after being questioned about a murder case. But your point still stands that everybody passed on him.

ZACH BANNER–USC
6083|353 lbs|5SR Tacoma, Wash. (Lakes) 12/25/1993 (age 23) #73 YEAR (GP/GS) GRADE 4th-5th Round 2012: Redshirted MEASUREABLES Arm: 34 7/8 | Hand: 10 3/4 | Wingspan: 82 5/8 2013: (2/0) COMBINE 40-YD: 5.58 | 10-YD: 1.91 | 20-YD: 3.19 | BP: 22 | VJ: 23 1/2 | BJ: 07’08” | SS: 5.21 | 3C: 8.31 2014: (13/13) 13 RT PRO DAY N/A (positional drills only) 2015: (14/14) 12 RT, 2 LT 2016: (11/11) 11 RT Total: (40/38) 36 RT, 2 LT BACKGROUND: A five-star offensive tackle recruit out of high school, Zachery “Zach” Banner was ranked as one of the top prep offensive linemen in the country and narrowed his college choice to USC, Oklahoma and nearby Washington, choosing the Trojans. The son of former NFL player Lincoln Kennedy, he didn’t find out he was adopted until seventh grade and never had a strong relationship with his birth father, considering his adoptive father (Ron Banner) his true dad. After redshirting in 2012, Banner saw action in two games as a reserve offensive tackle in 2013, but injuries kept him sidelined for most of the season. He returned in 2014 and won the starting right tackle job, starting all 13 games. Banner saw his first action at left tackle in 2015, starting a pair of games on the left side followed by 12 starts at right tackle. He returned for his senior season and started 11 games at right tackle (missed two games due to injury), earning First Team All-Pac 12 honors. Banner accepted his invitation to the 2017 Senior Bowl. STRENGTHS: Mammoth size with a wide set of shoulders – long arms with a humongous wingspan…doesn’t always sustain in his kickslide, but able to engulf rushers and keep them busy with his spacious base, requiring a $20 cab ride to get around him…slides well for his size, getting out in space to take away second level defenders…secures down blocks and eliminates bodies in the run game…generates a powerful surge with heavy hands to drive defenders, clearing running room…moves with fluidity for an athlete that size – talented basketball player in high school and joined the USC men’s basketball team for the 2012-13 season, but didn’t see any action…supportive teammate and vocal leader, who proudly wears the captain “C” on his jersey…graduated with a degree in communications (May 2015) and currently working on his second degree…NFL bloodlines – father (Lincoln Kennedy) was a top-10 pick in the 1993 NFL Draft and played 11 seasons at offensive tackle in the NFL, making three Pro Bowls…strong connection to family, especially his Guam roots (on his mother’s side) and is looking to become the first Chamorro player drafted by a NFL team…three-year starter with 38 starts on his résumé. WEAKNESSES: Bullies with his hands/limbs, but placement is sloppy, negating his ability to control the point of attack…relies on his upper body to do most of the work and needs to better sink, roll his hips and run his feet at contact…too content bypassing hand tactics and relying on his shoulder/body…heavy feet in his kickslide and his upper body gets there before his lower body, leading to balance issues…labors in pass protection…struggles to control his momentum mid-shuffle, causing him to be late when mirroring defenders…not a natural bender and struggles with smaller rushers who are able to dip and leverage underneath him…wide hands makes him an easy target for holding penalties…high volume of false start penalties on the game tapes studied – glaring issue…playing weight was often in the 370-380 pound range and his eating habits and conditioning require discipline – upper body looks like a bowl full of mush and the team nutritionist will be his best friend…will turn 24 years old as a NFL rookie…missed two games as a senior due to a sprained left ankle (Oct. 2016) – also missed most of the 2013 season with surgeries on both hips…played almost exclusively at right tackle in his career, lacking experience on the left side or inside at guard. SUMMARY: A three-year starter at USC, Banner helped anchor the Trojans’ offensive line the past three seasons at right tackle. He is a massive human and the goal posts shake when he moves, flashing the power to be a road grader as a run blocker. However, Banner lacks the foot quickness to consistently hold up in space, especially against quick edge rushers who can beat him in pass protection. With his deficiencies outside, he is ideally suited in a phone booth where he can use his body girth, natural strength and mauling play style to create traffic jams inside at guard, redirecting defenders and clearing run lanes – won’t be a natural fit for every scheme, but has starting potential for a run-heavy offense.

3 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

You're thinking about Landon Collins. La'el Collins went undrafted after being questioned about a murder case. But your point still stands that everybody passed on him.

Wow....    I guess I should have read that more closely....    it didn't occur to me that someone was STILL complaining about La'el Collins.       Hasn't that ship sailed like forever ago?

I thought for sure he was talking about Landon....    there are a number of posters who are not yet over that one....    

OK....     whatever......      life goes on....

Great day for the Colts!

My only concern about Banner has nothing really to do with Banner.

But this may be a red flag that Philbin/Ballard are not yet sold on Clark.      And that would be hugely disappointing to me.     HUGELY!!   

I'm personally hoping that Banner ends up inside at guard....    but I'll be patient and wait and see....

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He went undrafted. Every team passed on him because he was tied to a homicide that had nothing to do with him. We shouldn't have passed on him and the fact that everyone else passed on him too doesn't change that.

1 minute ago, colt18 said:

He went undrafted. Every team passed on him because he was tied to a homicide that had nothing to do with him. We shouldn't have passed on him and the fact that everyone else passed on him too doesn't change that.

You're new here....    you're going to have to trust me that I know who La'el Collins is....     he was a player I hoped the Colts would draft in the 1st round.   

But once the story broke,  he was toxic...   he was radioactive and completely undraftable.      And I know this because the entire NFL,  not just the Colts,  passed on him all 256 times.     We have had countless discussions and debates on Collins here on this website.     Too many to count.

Fans of all 32 teams are saying the same thing you are....    "We should have drafted Collins.   smh."

That's a fan's viewpoint,  not a GM's or a an Owner.      There was just no way to touch him.

I appreciate that you don't agree with that,   but the proof is no one drafted him.

12 minutes ago, colt18 said:

OH,   and since you're new,  I should'e added welcome to the website.

We're an odd collection of fans....     most from the state of Indiana,  but you'll literally find Colts fans from all over the United States and even a fair number from around the world.

Hope you enjoy the site,   but a friendly warning......    it can be a bit addictive,  so use wisely,  but most of all,  have fun!   

:thmup:

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

OH,   and since you're new,  I should'e added welcome to the website.

We're an odd collection of fans....     most from the state of Indiana,  but you'll literally find Colts fans from all over the United States and even a fair number from around the world.

Hope you enjoy the site,   but a friendly warning......    it can be a bit addictive,  so use wisely,  but most of all,  have fun!   

:thmup:

Thanks friend! I've been here for a little bit. I enjoy the forum, even if I feel like having an unpopular opinion can be frowned upon around here.

I wasn't here for the Collins discussion but I appreciate the thought you put into your post.

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But this may be a red flag that Philbin/Ballard are not yet sold on Clark.      And that would be hugely disappointing to me.     HUGELY!!   

I'm personally hoping that Banner ends up inside at guard....    but I'll be patient and wait and see....

I think its depth. Haeg will now fully concentrate playing guard with Good as back up. Means if Clark gets injured its a straight swap with Banner, no more having to move around. I would have like to have got a starting RG this offseason and have Haeg back up Clark at RT, but I fully understand Ballard could not fix all needs and it was not a deep Oline class. I like Banner too.

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It really is no commentary on Clark....it simply reflects a need to increase competition for spots 8-9 on the Oline. And...if your 4th round pick of 17 beats out your 3rd round pick of 16...not sure how that is ever a disappointment unless you're on Clark's friends and family team...especially if Clark remains a productive member of the core OL depth.  

All that aside, it wouldn't seem that Banner is a direct threat to Clark anytime soon unless Clark gets hurt or fails to work at it.

12 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Thanks friend! I've been here for a little bit. I enjoy the forum, even if I feel like having an unpopular opinion can be frowned upon around here.

I wasn't here for the Collins discussion but I appreciate the thought you put into your post.

Well....    I am the holder of a number of unpopular opinions....    and I annoy a number of people....    I don't try to,  but I do...

I try to time my unpopular posts....    so,  IF I had a problem with the draft,  I wouldn't say so today....

Everyone is happy with Ballard's work....   Wait a day or two....   and then share your view....     sometimes that helps....    

The last 5 years here have been.....   weird....     and with the new GM people are ready for a fresh start and hope for a return to the post-season.        As people like to say.....

Winning cures everything!   

Just now, ztboiler said:

It really is no commentary on Clark....it simply reflects a need to increase competition for spots 8-9 on the Oline. And...if your 4th round pick of 17 beats out your 3rd round pick of 16...not sure how that is ever a disappointment unless you're on Clark's friends and family team...especially if Clark remains a productive member of the core OL depth.  

All that aside, it wouldn't seem that Banner is a direct threat to Clark anytime soon unless Clark gets hurt or fails to work at it.

I hope you're right....    I respect your opinion,  ZTB...    so I really hope you're right.

I'm hoping Grigson has left us with some belated gifts....     I'm really,  REALLY hoping that the patience that we showed with Clark pays off.       If so,  I think he's a tremendous talent,  but can he put it all together?    

And I hope that Green can get coached up too.      No more high round busts, please?!?      I'd like to see Green really improve and become a solid contributor,  even if he's not starting.     There should be enough snaps where he can get on the field and hopefully do some good.

I'd love to see the Colts win 10-11 games this year and win the South.   Anything beyond that is gravy for me.....

This is the only pick of Ballard in this draft I have strong negative feelings about. I don't like it. I think it will be a wasted pick. I'd be shocked if he ever sees the field without us incurring multiple injuries ot our O-line. He's INCREDIBLY slow and plodding. I have no idea what Philbin saw in him.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is the only pick of Ballard in this draft I have strong negative feelings about. I don't like it. I think it will be a wasted pick. I'd be shocked if he ever sees the field without us incurring multiple injuries ot our O-line. He's INCREDIBLY slow and plodding. I have no idea what Philbin saw in him.

I haven't seen a lot of tape on Banner yet,   but the little I have seen,  he doesn't look slow or plodding at all.

I'm not worried about his 40 time, when is he ever going to run that far....     but in a short area he looks surprisingly light on his feet to me...

I've just posted a link to his profile which has some video of Banner there....    perhaps you'll see something you like.      As for Philbin,   not only do I trust him,    but I trust Ballard too.      I don't see them both missing on this pick.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I haven't seen a lot of tape on Banner yet,   but the little I have seen,  he doesn't look slow or plodding at all.

I'm not worried about his 40 time, when is he ever going to run that far....     but in a short area he looks surprisingly light on his feet to me...

I've just posted a link to his profile which has some video of Banner there....    perhaps you'll see something you like.      As for Philbin,   not only do I trust him,    but I trust Ballard too.      I don't see them both missing on this pick.

It's not just the 40. He's horrible in every single aspect of athleticism:
C-mQ27fXgAEs2Ce.jpg

5 is average. He's under 1 on most of them and below average in every single one.

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not just the 40. He's horrible in every single aspect of athleticism:
C-mQ27fXgAEs2Ce.jpg

5 is average. He's under 1 on most of them and below average in every single one.

As far as I can tell,  Banner is not like anyone Philbin has coached before....     so if the duo of Philbin and Ballard are good with Banner,  then I'm not going to worry about him........

Yet.

Banner was our 1st pick of Day 3.   We could've taken anyone else.   Banner says the Colts worked with him more than any other team.     He sure feels like we targeted him.    That's why I feel good about him...

he's getting his weight down i'm sure everything else will go up at that point. He said he was 380ish at the end of the season. getting down to about 320 will improve a lot of his game. His interview is very confident which i like.

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Zach-Banner-joins-Total-Access-before-heading-to-the-2017-NFL-Draft/c81d9b3f-2706-4dae-87f8-cc67d4a8d0df

2 hours ago, Zalazar Elijahh said:

I'm thinking he's drafted as a T. Teams often announce the position wrong in the draft process.