Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Zach Banner, OL, USC (Merge)

BlueShoe

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in high school, the Colts won Super Bowl V.  They didn't have anyone over 6'3", and no one even close to 280 lbs playing offense. What a wonderful world we're in. Better nutrition, better weight training, better speed, and environments period.  Of course, that just makes bigger collisions...

The questions I have about Banner are these:

1. Can he become quick enough to play to play right tackle at the NFL level if he gets his weight down to 335-ish? 
  2. Can he play with enough bend to play inside at guard given his 6'8.5" height? 

The answer to at least one of these questions has got to be yes, if he's ever going to have a place as a starter in this league. Otherwise he's just a backup who comes in on jumbo packages and pushes the pile. 

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

When I was in high school, the Colts won Super Bowl V.  They didn't have anyone over 6'3", and no one even close to 280 lbs playing offense. What a wonderful world we're in. Better nutrition, better weight training, better speed, and environments period.  Of course, that just makes bigger collisions...

I looked up the 1968 team that lost to the Jets. Bubba Smith was close to 300LBs. What I found interesting is the OL guys were only around 15 lbs heavier than some of the LBS. 

http://www.profootballarchives.com/1968nflbal.html

6 hours ago, dw49 said:

I looked up the 1968 team that lost to the Jets. Bubba Smith was close to 300LBs. What I found interesting is the OL guys were only around 15 lbs heavier than some of the LBS. 

http://www.profootballarchives.com/1968nflbal.html

Curry was starting center. 6'2"/ 235

Their guards were 6'3"/ 235 and 240.

Vogel was their biggest tackle. 6'5"/ 248

Guy who has problems in pass blocking but is an excellent run blocker and they are talking about him only with playing tackle?  

I suppose he could be a developmental guy that could at the very least be a backup OT at his floor and at his ceiling perhaps a starting RT.  (Assuming Clark hits his ceiling and maybe takes over for Castanzo)  I assume if his problems are mental, technique based they can be coached out of him. 

I know height is an issue but it would seem to me that putting him at RG would hide much of his pass protection issues while allowing his run blocking to shine.  

On 4/30/2017 at 2:47 AM, stitches said:

And here's Banner on The Herd:

Seems like a smart young man with personality. That's good after we lost the only guy with personality on our roster this off-season.

I mentioned as he was selected he was Boomstick's replacement for keeping the locker room loose...  ;-)

Now, his  dad, Lincoln Kennedy, was 6'6" and 335 lbs.  Zach is 6'8 1/2" and 353 lbs.  Lincoln played 11 years at G / T.  in 3 of his last 4 years, he made the pro-bowl (age 29, 30, and 31) and first team All-Pro as well at age 31.  He retired after the next season at 32 years of age.  Coaches see things we don't, and believe it or not, coaches like to coach! The CBA makes it hard but these guys just are not professional baby-sitters of grown men playing a collision sport on Sundays. They want to develop and grow these young men into professionals.

I'm interested to see how guys like Zach and TJ Green turn out in a few years.  Not every player is pro-bowl year one or cut.  Ballard mentions 'unique' a lot.  whether that is traits, skills, or both doesn't matter.  They see something that differentiates that guy from being JAG.  Ballard has a long contract, he's looking long term viability as well as try to build a winner ASAP.  If they pick these kids and they don't develop, much of it is on the coaches IMHO.

17 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I mentioned as he was selected he was Boomstick's replacement for keeping the locker room loose...  ;-)

Now, his  dad, Lincoln Kennedy, was 6'6" and 335 lbs.  Zach is 6'8 1/2" and 353 lbs.  Lincoln played 11 years at G / T.  in 3 of his last 4 years, he made the pro-bowl (age 29, 30, and 31) and first team All-Pro as well at age 31.  He retired after the next season at 32 years of age.  Coaches see things we don't, and believe it or not, coaches like to coach! The CBA makes it hard but these guys just are not professional baby-sitters of grown men playing a collision sport on Sundays. They want to develop and grow these young men into professionals.

I'm interested to see how guys like Zach and TJ Green turn out in a few years.  Not every player is pro-bowl year one or cut.  Ballard mentions 'unique' a lot.  whether that is traits, skills, or both doesn't matter.  They see something that differentiates that guy from being JAG.  Ballard has a long contract, he's looking long term viability as well as try to build a winner ASAP.  If they pick these kids and they don't develop, much of it is on the coaches IMHO.

He's a funny dude lol. And Cowerd said he would be a 1st round pick.. he was a little off. 

On 4/30/2017 at 5:08 PM, AZColt11 said:

I don't know how good he is in pass blocking but from what I saw he looks like a total road-grader in run blocking.  I would never pass on a guy who can clear people out of running lanes like that no matter how bad he is in pass blocking!

(137) Colts (From Patriots)
–Colts selected USC OG Zach Banner with the No. 137 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.
Banner (6’8/353) played basketball as a freshman before taking up football full time and making 38 starts, mostly at right tackle. He was voted first-team All-Pac 12 by the conference’s coaches as a junior and senior. Gargantuan with long arms (34 7/8″) and huge hands (10 ¾”), Banner overwhelmed opponents as a college run blocker but struggled in pass protection, where Banner’s height can work against him. Conditioning is also a concern after Banner ballooned near 400 pounds at times in college. While Banner’s run-blocking prowess is intriguing, he is a boom-bust prospect who could develop into a plus starter, or fall out of the league in a few years. He is unlikely to contribute as a rookie.

On 4/30/2017 at 5:50 PM, austriancolt said:

A few years ago same things were said about Ryan Grigson and I clearly remember the "In Grigson we trust" mantra some repeatedly preached... I guess we will se he is a project and I don't expect him to make much impact right now although some guys here tend to call every new guy a "beast". 

An intriguing project, fore sure.  High ceiling... or...  nvm.

21 hours ago, Track Guy said:

The questions I have about Banner are these:

1. Can he become quick enough to play to play right tackle at the NFL level if he gets his weight down to 335-ish? 

I think so.  his dad, lincoln Kennedy, play 11 years around 335 lbs, and he was just 6'6" 

If Zach gets to 335-340, it won't be his weight that limit him in pass pro...

1. Can he play with enough bend to play inside at guard given his 6'8.5" height? 

Landry  believes not. 

And this is from NFL dot com-  "He's a really big guy. That's his body type. If he doesn't work his tail off to manage it, there is no doubt his weight will shoot way up again. Everyone is going to write him as a guard but I'm writing him as a tackle. They all have issues. I think we could work around him at tackle." -- Western regional scout from an AFC team (wonder who?)

The answer to at least one of these questions has got to be yes, if he's ever going to have a place as a starter in this league. Otherwise he's just a backup who comes in on jumbo packages and pushes the pile. 

Rt. tackle, and jumbo sub package, I believe...

19 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Obviously I'm not rooting against him, but this one feels like a bit of a reach.

I concur. He has had injuries and all that weight playing a collision sport....in addition to being slow and ineffective in space, I fear he will be chronically injured. Sadly I bet in 3 years he is not even in the league. I hope I'm wrong as we need o-line depth, Quality depth 

16 minutes ago, D-lineman said:

I concur. He has had injuries and all that weight playing a collision sport....in addition to being slow and ineffective in space, I fear he will be chronically injured. Sadly I bet in 3 years he is not even in the league. I hope I'm wrong as we need o-line depth, Quality depth 

I wish him luck, I like All Big Kids! (Especially funny ones)

But if it's guard we need, Ballard grabbed UDFA 4 year Rutgers starting guard Chris Muller. 6'6"/315, 2nd strongest  (34 reps at 225) in the Combine. Started 49 games in the Big Ten.  Ironman....

And here's a profile on Banner that is the lead story today,  Tuesday, May 2nd....

It has quotes from Ballard,  scouts,  and Banner himself...

Think you'll enjoy....     it's an easy and fun read....

http://www.colts.com/news/article-draft/Rookie-Zach-Banner-Brings-Massive-Frame-To-Colts-Offensive-Line/0bdee3d5-1171-4dc7-b693-ee508f69eb12

Zach has a huge persona. Future sportscaster and TV commentator. The biggest thing for him is to get  rolling with an NFL career as an OL for the Colts. He is a more verbal Tarik Glenn and to our benefit he is RT. I think he will be starting by mid season. Denzelle and Raven are OK but injury prone. Raven is about the same size as Zach but he does not show it like Zach does. I wish Robert Mathis will work with him and sharpen his technique.

51 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I kind of dogged this pick at the time, and also as recently as yesterday. But the tape from USC vs Stanford is decent, he gets beat a few times, but also manhandles Solomon Thomas quite a bit. He might be more than a project afterall.

I think he still looks slow when he gets caught having to defend the rush in open space. When the windows are tight, and he doesn't have to move too much he does very well. 

24 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think he still looks slow when he gets caught having to defend the rush in open space. When the windows are tight, and he doesn't have to move too much he does very well. 

I agree, but at the same time players of his stature will always "look" slow. Even if he ran a 4.3 second 40 yard dash, it would be the slowest looking 4.3 ever. But don't get me wrong, I'm in no rush to put him on an island with Von Miller, however, I definitely like the pick a little more than I did on Saturday.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I agree, but at the same time players of his stature will always "look" slow. Even if he ran a 4.3 second 40 yard dash, it would be the slowest looking 4.3 ever. But don't get me wrong, I'm in no rush to put him on an island with Von Miller, however, I definitely like the pick a little more than I did on Saturday.

Yeah even if he looks slow it could just be the sheer size, however you have to think he's occupying a large amount of space also.  The Colts scout said he has the ability to defend speed rushers, has good lateral movement and is efficient (whatever that may be) in the rush.  If he handled Thomas and Tak he's ok in my book.  I do believe he's definitely a developmental guy with high potential. 

The only things I'm really worried about is if he's able to maintain his weight also injuries.  If he can keep those in check who knows how good he will be as a rotational player, possible starting RT tackle if Clarke doesn't work out.  I'm not sure about his ability to play guard. 

1 minute ago, Malakai432 said:

The only things I'm really worried about is if he's able to maintain his weight also injuries.  If he can keep those in check who knows how good he will be as a rotational player

Those are 2 legit concerns. Big guys, from a health standpoint, don't have the best track record playing on the field turf at LOS.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Those are 2 legit concerns. Big guys, from a health standpoint, don't have the best track record playing on the field turf at LOS.

Yeah specially our offensive linemen.  I feel they're often injured and it seems to have been that way for years if I can recall.  I'm not sure if every team has issues with their OL but it seems year in and year out the Colts do. 

I watched some highlights and it looks effortless for him.  He takes a few steps and he is there.  He doesn't need to shuffle or mirror with any real speed.  When he gets his hands on them, he easily pushes them back.  Talking about a lump of clay to mold.  This may be Philbins pride and joy one day.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:41 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

He is by far NOT JAG. LOL The kid has some special traits and considering the growth I saw from our OL under Philbin from the beginning of the year to the end I don't see why he can't improve the kid. He is a project...that is exactly what we need right now. We have a nice core with what we bring back and with Schwenkie or whatever his name is. I see it also as competition for Haeg, Clark, and Good that Ballard isn't giving up and won't ever be complacent in improving this roster. He is going to test you...push you...and if you don't rise to the challenge replace you. I like the signing and I like the kid so far. I worry about these ex-athlete kids but he has pedigree....he just needs to tighten his belt (literally) and work on his footwork and getting in the best shape he can be.

On 1.5.2017 at 5:45 AM, colts52761 said:

49ers RT is same size. Trent Brown, don't know how good he is.

Probably the best RT from the '14-'16 drafts. Though there have been lot of busts at OT from those drafts and OTs better than Brown are playing LT.

He's pretty good pass blocker but struggles in run blocking, especially zone runs.

1 hour ago, Finball said:

Probably the best RT from the '14-'16 drafts. Though there have been lot of busts at OT from those drafts and OTs better than Brown are playing LT.

He's pretty good pass blocker but struggles in run blocking, especially zone runs.

I find it fascinating that roughly half of he posters think Banner is a really good pass blocker but poor in run blocking.....    and the other half think he's really, really good in run blocking but poor in pass blocking.

I'd guess that one group is not reading the same information as the other group......   

The only thing I need to know is that Joe Philbin,  who went 4 for 4 in the 16 draft had his choice of lineman and this is the guy he picked out.    Philbin liked him as did Ballard.     They could've picked any player left on the board at pick 137 and they took Zack Banner.     I think the chances of both of them being wrong are not very good.    Could Banner end up as a bust?    Sure.     But I wouldn't bet on it....

He remains one of my favorite picks and the odds on favorite to someday being the Colts starting RT.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I find it fascinating that roughly half of he posters think Banner is a really good pass blocker but poor in run blocking.....    and the other half think he's really, really good in run blocking but poor in pass blocking.

I'd guess that one group is not reading the same information as the other group......   

The only thing I need to know is that Joe Philbin,  who went 4 for 4 in the 16 draft had his choice of lineman and this is the guy he picked out.    Philbin liked him as did Ballard.     They could've picked any player left on the board at pick 137 and they took Zack Banner.     I think the chances of both of them being wrong are not very good.    Could Banner end up as a bust?    Sure.     But I wouldn't bet on it....

He remains one of my favorite picks and the odds on favorite to someday being the Colts starting RT.

This isn't some slam dunk steal. Banner is the definition of boom or bust . He's either going to be an all pro or out of the league in 3 years. Ballard and Philbin are taking a gamble on the huge ceiling, but it still needs to be mentioned his floor is rock bottom. This is the risky pick of the draft class.

9 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

This isn't some slam dunk steal. Banner is the definition of boom or bust . He's either going to be an all pro or out of the league in 3 years. Ballard and Philbin are taking a gamble on the huge ceiling, but it still needs to be mentioned his floor is rock bottom. This is the risky pick of the draft class.

I haven't called Banner a slam dunk in any post yet.     In fact I've literally said that it's possible that Banner does not pan out.     But I'm more than willing to put my money on Philbin and Ballard....    I think they have a good track record...     so far, Banner is tracking in the right direction weight-wise, and he loves Indy and Philbin,  so, for me,   so far,  so good...

11 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Zach has a huge persona. Future sportscaster and TV commentator. The biggest thing for him is to get  rolling with an NFL career as an OL for the Colts. He is a more verbal Tarik Glenn and to our benefit he is RT. I think he will be starting by mid season. Denzelle and Raven are OK but injury prone. Raven is about the same size as Zach but he does not show it like Zach does. I wish Robert Mathis will work with him and sharpen his technique.

When did Denzelle and LaRaven become injury prone?

What happened?      This is news to me......

Banner will be fine.  He just needs an overdose of gamma rays.

Seriously, he has become my favorite pick to follow.  I wish Colts.com would interview Philbin regarding his workout with Zach and post it.  That would be interesting.

On April 29, 2017 at 3:25 PM, waka waka said:

he's getting his weight down i'm sure everything else will go up at that point. He said he was 380ish at the end of the season. getting down to about 320 will improve a lot of his game. His interview is very confident which i like.

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Zach-Banner-joins-Total-Access-before-heading-to-the-2017-NFL-Draft/c81d9b3f-2706-4dae-87f8-cc67d4a8d0df

On April 30, 2017 at 1:47 AM, stitches said:

Here is a podcast from Sports Illustrated that features Zach Banner:

And here's Banner on The Herd:

Seems like a smart young man with personality. That's good after we lost the only guy with personality on our roster this off-season.

Mr. Banner does seem to have a naturally funny sense of humor about himself, his looks, his abilities, & I love dudes that answer a question with a question...You know what teammate X said about you? What'd he say? And then he'll poke fun at a loyal brother in the trenches. haha Zach is a riot man. 

On April 30, 2017 at 1:47 AM, stitches said:

Here is a podcast from Sports Illustrated that features Zach Banner:

I actually just listened to this complete interview. Thanks for posting this stitches. I've always been interested to how heavy set linemen handle weight fluctuations & mobility & leverage on the field at the same time. Boxers moving up or down a weight class for a fight are good at transforming their bodies on average. However most ordinary kids can't afford to hire a chef or nutrition expert though & who wants to live on salads? Shoot me now. LOL! 

I remember being amazed at how soon after his NFL career center Jeff Saturday lost all that weight & slimmed down so swiftly once he started working for ESPN. 

I hope Zach can hold his weight in check for at least 10-12 yrs for us in INDY. Food as comfort & a security blanket must be an everyday struggle like an addiction that never fully disappears. His adopted parents seem pretty cool & normal. I like Mr. Banner a great deal. Good luck!