Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]

danlhart87

Ok guys just figured I'd give you guys some info. I'm actually a Dolphins fan, and I always enjoy when people give info on our board, so I will drop some here.

I am from Malik's hometown, I actually teach in George Washington the school that was mentioned in one of the articles I read in one of your papers. The kid that you guys are getting is an absolutely outstanding person. His mother raised a great kid. This is a true story: When he was in the fifth grade I started my first year teaching in George Washington. One day I was at my father's house for Sunday dinner and I told my father and brother he would be the best athelete to ever come out of our town. They thought I was crazy that I would say that about a 10 year old kid, and I don't want to sound like I am tooting my own horn, but it didn't take an NFL scout to see it. He has always been an unbelievable athelete. There are a lot of YouTube videos of him playing highschool basketball that you can go watch and see for yourself. He made ESPN top 10 plays twice in highschool for crazy dunks. Our hometown basketball team is always very good, but Malik lead our team to an undefeated season and state title his senior year. There were some other division 1 football players on that team that were solid, but Malik was the guy without question. Saying that he didn't play football until his junior year isn't exactly true, he played in grade school and it was almost funny watching how much better than everyone else he was. His rise from his senior year was crazy. It all seemed to start when he was on ESPN top plays the first time. He did go to a football camp in Alabama before his senior year in football and basically the consensus was that he was the best player in a camp of stars. There are some YouTube videos of that too, one where he made a crazy 1 handed catch. When he went to Ohio State I knew if he got his shot he would be an NFL player for sure. His redshirt year at OSU he played Amari Cooper on the scout team in practice leading up to the Championship game. That alone should tell you something. Then when he finally got his shot at OSU he exploded from that first game with the crazy tipped int. I can honestly tell you than neither me or any of my friends were surprised, we knew he was that good. I honestly was disappointed he did not get a chance to work out at the combine, he would have dominated those drills. The Colts are my girls team so I follow them a little bit, and no slight to the team, but I guarantee Malik is now the best athelete you have on the team. All that stuff is great, but the person that you got is the best part. Like I said his mother did an awesome job raising him, she should be really proud. When you see him at Children's Hospital on draft day, that is not an act, that is who he and his family are. They are just genuinely very good people. His rise from that dunk, to osu, now to you guys is incredible, and I truly believe he has a long way to go before he hits his ceiling. Those of you who didn't like the pick, I guarantee he is going to change your mind. You guys got a great player!

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

Mike Adam's was a stop gap.

Bethea was good,  but its arguable to say his best years were when sanders was on the team.

And I'm sorry,  who's Clayton Geathers? Is he on our team? Cause if so, his presence is not felt and his performance leaves something to be desired. 

Geathers sealed the Chargers game and the 2nd Titans game, so yes his presence is definitely felt. He just has injury issues, similar to another great hard hitting safety we had some time ago. 

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah.

Traded a 1st for Richardson

Traded Jerry Hughes when he was obviously figuring it out in 2012

Drafted an un-athletic white EDGE rusher in 2013 over pro bowl caliber players like Rhodes, Hopkins, etc

Signed bum after bum in FA, and gave them big money when better players were available. Example. Toler over Sean Smith, Cole over McPhee, etc, etc, etc, bout 15 other examples.

Drafted Phillip Dorsett when studs like Eric Kendricks, Landon Collins were on the board

Drafted freaking D'Joun Smith when a 2-3 superstar EDGE rushing prospects were on the board (Danielle Hunter, Frank Clark) It was obvious Hunter had pro bowl potential. Same with Clark. We could have stayed in RD2 and moved up 2-3 spots for Markus Golden

Everyone hated him. From players to coaches.

And that STUPID look/facial expression he always had on his face. Like he was something in his mind, when he was/is nothing in reality.

Need I continue???

What does being white have anything to do with bjorn's talent? im sure i do not need to name white edge rushers... the color of your skin does not dictate how well you play so no reason why you even mentioned that.

45 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Has this forum ever been mostly happy with any first round pick? 

Unhappy with Reggie Wayne, unhappy with Dallas Clark, unhappy with Marlin Jackson, unhappy with Joe Addai...I have seen it all. :) 

Heck, Antoine Bethea was our only safety who picked off Brady in 2006, 2007 & 2009 at least once in each of our regular season games. Yet, we dismiss him as JAG.

probably the same people that whined with those guys are whining now

7 minutes ago, ButchFragrance said:

Ok guys just figured I'd give you guys some info. I'm actually a Dolphins fan, and I always enjoy when people give info on our board, so I will drop some here.

I am from Malik's hometown, I actually teach in George Washington the school that was mentioned in one of the articles I read in one of your papers. The kid that you guys are getting is an absolutely outstanding person. His mother raised a great kid. This is a true story: When he was in the fifth grade I started my first year teaching in George Washington. One day I was at my father's house for Sunday dinner and I told my father and brother he would be the best athelete to ever come out of our town. They thought I was crazy that I would say that about a 10 year old kid, and I don't want to sound like I am tooting my own horn, but it didn't take an NFL scout to see it. He has always been an unbelievable athelete. There are a lot of YouTube videos of him playing highschool basketball that you can go watch and see for yourself. He made ESPN top 10 plays twice in highschool for crazy dunks. Our hometown basketball team is always very good, but Malik lead our team to an undefeated season and state title his senior year. There were some other division 1 football players on that team that were solid, but Malik was the guy without question. Saying that he didn't play football until his junior year isn't exactly true, he played in grade school and it was almost funny watching how much better than everyone else he was. His rise from his senior year was crazy. It all seemed to start when he was on ESPN top plays the first time. He did go to a football camp in Alabama before his senior year in football and basically the consensus was that he was the best player in a camp of stars. There are some YouTube videos of that too, one where he made a crazy 1 handed catch. When he went to Ohio State I knew if he got his shot he would be an NFL player for sure. His redshirt year at OSU he played Amari Cooper on the scout team in practice leading up to the Championship game. That alone should tell you something. Then when he finally got his shot at OSU he exploded from that first game with the crazy tipped int. I can honestly tell you than neither me or any of my friends were surprised, we knew he was that good. I honestly was disappointed he did not get a chance to work out at the combine, he would have dominated those drills. The Colts are my girls team so I follow them a little bit, and no slight to the team, but I guarantee Malik is now the best athelete you have on the team. All that stuff is great, but the person that you got is the best part. Like I said his mother did an awesome job raising him, she should be really proud. When you see him at Children's Hospital on draft day, that is not an act, that is who he and his family are. They are just genuinely very good people. His rise from that dunk, to osu, now to you guys is incredible, and I truly believe he has a long way to go before he hits his ceiling. Those of you who didn't like the pick, I guarantee he is going to change your mind. You guys got a great player!

Thank you for sharing this. That alone, the fact you created a Colts Forum account just to tell us this, goes to show the impact he has on people. Ballard really did strike titanium in a gold mine. 

1 minute ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Thank you for sharing this. That alone, the fact you created a Colts Forum account just to tell us this, goes to show the impact he has on people. Ballard really did strike titanium in a gold mine. 

Don't be surprised when you see people with New Castle gear on showing up at your games. We are a sports town who travels well lol. I can't even begin to tell you what this town was like last night man. He is a great kid, you will see. It's impossible not to root for him!

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Geathers sealed the Chargers game and the 2nd Titans game, so yes his presence is definitely felt. He just has injury issues, similar to another great hard hitting safety we had some time ago. 

2 years and you name 2 games. He had 0 interceptions, 1 forced fumble and 5 passes defended last year.   You have to look at the whole and not pick the one thing that supports your argument and then ignore the rest.  

18 minutes ago, ButchFragrance said:

im out of likes for the day, but thanks for sharing

23 minutes ago, ButchFragrance said:

Thanks for sharing your story, he sounds like he is going to be a great addition to the Colts, on and off the field.

22 minutes ago, ButchFragrance said:

Holy cow.  This is the opposite of what usually happens.  Usually, stories bringing up past dirt, or dragging someone through the mud are what start to crop up right now.

Or the guy creates his own dirt when he gets drunk, and then arrested in downtown Indy.

This is incredibly encouraging, if true.

38 minutes ago, ButchFragrance said:

[snipped the rest to save space]

This was an awesome post.  Glad you shared.  The more I hear about him, the more I like him.  Thanks again!

28 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

2 years and you name 2 games. He had 0 interceptions, 1 forced fumble and 5 passes defended last year.   You have to look at the whole and not pick the one thing that supports your argument and then ignore the rest.  

Geathers is average at worst, good starter at best. We have no one else that can step in over him, so he's starting 99 times out of 100. 

More accolades at NFL.com ...

"6. If the Niners' defense isn't the league's most improved this year, that honor might go to the Colts. On the heels of a productive free agency period that brought a revamped front seven, new general manager Chris Ballard lucked into rangy Ohio State safety Malik Hooker at No. 15 overall. Coach Chuck Pagano has long needed a centerfielder to anchor the back end of his defense. Now he has a future star who will remind him of close friend Ed Reed:"

Brian Billick - Malik Hooker may be closest thing to Ed Reed in ball hawking skills that I've seen on college tape...but thats getting a little previous.

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Mike Adam's was a stop gap.

Bethea was good,  but its arguable to say his best years were when sanders was on the team.

And I'm sorry,  who's Clayton Geathers? Is he on our team? Cause if so, his presence is not felt and his performance leaves something to be desired. 

Mike Adams may have started as a stop gap but he played excellent ball for us despite being on a cruddy defense.

Bethea was still young and very good after Sanders left.

Wow, how dramatic, Meryl. Geathers' performance was great last year. Sure he has been banged up a bit too much but if you're going to use Bob Sanders as your example then you really can't complain about Geathers' injuries; they pale in comparison to Sanders' injuries.

Plus, as much as we'd all love to, we can't claim Hooker to be good yet.

1 hour ago, Smitto said:

What does being white have anything to do with bjorn's talent? im sure i do not need to name white edge rushers... the color of your skin does not dictate how well you play so no reason why you even mentioned that.

Right...it was not a good way to justify his argument.

25 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Wow, how dramatic, Meryl.

Such Drama.

Image result for meryl streep

So Dramatic.

25 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Mike Adams may have started as a stop gap but he played excellent ball for us despite being on a cruddy defense.

I wish Mike Adams would teach his "arm-chop" move to Hooker.  Adams has the best arm-chop in the game right now.  Sad to see it go.  If Hooker happens to let someone catch the ball in the deep third, he needs to chop that freakin' ball out.  Could have learned a thing or three from Adams...

:console:

56 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

i resemble that remark! 

I think... that is also... encouraging if true.  Improvements are a step-by-step process Mr. ... uh... Street?

I'm not with IMPD, but if you could just spell your last name for me...

Image result for serious cop

BUSTED!  You're going to JAIL!  I knew it was you all along Mr. Harbaugh.  I mean, who still uses a Nokia 5110?  The Michigan-Ohio State rivalry will NOT infect this locker room.  SIR.

Good day, sir.

I SAID GOOD DAY!.

17 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I might have preferred Foster, but Hooker could be really good at FS. Wonder where Butler and Green play now. 

Butler can still play Nickel CB.  Geathers, I expect will be used as a Dime LB/hybrid.  I think if we're playing a team like New England we're going to see all 4 of them on the field in certain packages with Butler and Hooker playing back (or Butler shadowing Amendola or Edelman), Green on Gronk and Geathers on D. Allen.  Now we need a true CB#2 and our secondary should become (I still expect Green and Hooker to have some learning curves and am crossing my fingers Geathers can keep healthy) a very adaptable unit.

17 hours ago, thatonefan said:

Good player, but Reuben Foster? Jon Allen? Safety really wasn't that big of a hole, and there were better players at positions of great need. 

Hooker may have the most potential of any player in this draft.  Our whole secondary has been cause for concern, CB (IMO) is a little more pressing, but with this pick we have the flexibility of moving Butler around as a nickel/slot CB and a safety.  I, personally, don't think J. Allen would be that great of a fit in our system, plus with another year of recovery for Anderson, Langford coming back healthy, the addition of Hankins, another year of experience for Ridgeway and McGill and Parry not going to jail our DL (IMO) is the deepest group we have on defense.  

17 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, Green may get cut now unless again the competition. 

No he won't.  Green is a freak athlete, we all knew he was raw coming out of Clemson -- with a year under his belt and the offseason to improve, our coaching staff will figure out a way to utilize his athleticism.

1 hour ago, ButchFragrance said:

BF, 

I abbreviate names to save time & to be honest, I'm not a speed demon on the keyboard either. Having said that, my first reaction to your post stylistically before actually reading what you wrote was this. Can we break this ice block of words into a few paragraphs please just to place less strain on my eyes?  White space can be very soothing when skimming long responses. Just a suggestion that's all. 

Then, I read the content & felt like a complete smuck because you as a Dolphins fan said such nice things about the Colts & our newest draft pick. 

What's my point? I guess just to say welcome to our forum, I apologize for my initial reaction, & we get a lot of other fan base enthusiasts on here, which makes this spot pretty cool to hang out in. Thanks for joining & your feedback on Mr. Hooker. Appreciate it. 

15 hours ago, Johnny U. said:

Look up any scouting report on him. They all say the same thing. He's a poor tackler. Who wants a safety who can't tackle? At least Peppers can tackle. You remind me of a scout who reports a hitter can hit a fast ball 500 feet. But fails to mention he can't touch a curve ball. 

Peppers doesnt get ints hooker does

1 hour ago, ButchFragrance said:

He is a great kid, you will see. It's impossible not to root for him!

Everything you've posted so far definitely matches up with what I've felt watching some of his interviews throughout the process. He seemed like a great kid and I'm glad to hear that I was right. I'm so excited to have him in blue and white!

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Everything you've posted so far definitely matches up with what I've felt watching some of his interviews throughout the process. He seemed like a great kid and I'm glad to hear that I was right. I'm so excited to have him in blue and white!

I was telling my coworker how id love hooker to fall to us because of his ball skills but didnt think it would happen

14 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I was telling my coworker how id love hooker to fall to us because of his ball skills but didnt think it would happen

I don't think anyone thought it would happen! He would slip to us every now and then in some of the mock drafts I'd do, but I always said it was too unrealistic and didn't pick him, but it looks like I was wrong. So glad I was too lol.

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

To be fair, Fournette makes a lot of people whiff. 

I invision a nasty truck or stiff. I felt we needed foster to counter that pick. But Hooker is a great player and good counter for Deshaun Watson and Corey Davis. It sucks that our division picked up 3 of the best offensive players is this draft imo