Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]

danlhart87

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I'm not gonna get into this again, but you're wrong. Anybody could have done what he did. He was handed a job with the number 1 overall pick in his hands when it just so happens, a once in a generation QB was coming out....Anyone with a functioning brain would have known to take Luck 1 overall. That's all he did to make us a solid team. Literally ALL he did. Me or you could have done a better job as GM.

Ty Hilton,  trade for davis, freeman from Canada.   He did more than draft luck.   He had more misses than hits,  But when you are as hyperbolic as you are,  you sound clueless

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, COLTS449 said:

I'm not gonna get into this again, but you're wrong. Anybody could have done what he did. He was handed a job with the number 1 overall pick in his hands when it just so happens, a once in a generation QB was coming out....Anyone with a functioning brain would have known to take Luck 1 overall. That's all he did to make us a solid team. Literally ALL he did. Me or you could have done a better job as GM.

Ha, I'm not a Grigson fan by any means & many of his decisions hurt the team much more than helping the team, but he did hit on a few later round, & undrafted guys...

Grigson just stunk it up on the obvious choices & easy decisions, like he was trying to 'outsmart' the process by doing something unconventional...

For example, I think Grigson likely read as many Mock drafts as he possibly could & then just purposefully drafted someone NO-ONE, Colts fan or not, had mocked to us, in an almost "I'll show you" approach to avoid the 'predictable' whether it made any sense or not...

Anyways, what were we talking about?

9 minutes ago, #12. said:

It was a joke, but Is there a single team in another division who wouldn't take the competition in this division over theirs?  Not one.  As far as the NFL goes, this is the closest to Indiana, Rutgers and Purdue as you will get, and with the inexperienced and unpolished QBs in this division, Hooker should have a few opportunities for INTs.

I don't know the NFC West is pretty mediocre and even Seattle isn't the powerhouse they were.

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Ty Hilton,  trade for davis, freeman from Canada.   He did more than draft luck.   He had more misses than hits,  But when you are as hyperbolic as you are,  you sound clueless

Yeah.

Traded a 1st for Richardson

Traded Jerry Hughes when he was obviously figuring it out in 2012

Drafted an un-athletic white EDGE rusher in 2013 over pro bowl caliber players like Rhodes, Hopkins, etc

Signed bum after bum in FA, and gave them big money when better players were available. Example. Toler over Sean Smith, Cole over McPhee, etc, etc, etc, bout 15 other examples.

Drafted Phillip Dorsett when studs like Eric Kendricks, Landon Collins were on the board

Drafted freaking D'Joun Smith when a 2-3 superstar EDGE rushing prospects were on the board (Danielle Hunter, Frank Clark) It was obvious Hunter had pro bowl potential. Same with Clark. We could have stayed in RD2 and moved up 2-3 spots for Markus Golden

Everyone hated him. From players to coaches.

And that STUPID look/facial expression he always had on his face. Like he was something in his mind, when he was/is nothing in reality.

Need I continue???

14 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I cant believe some of you guys don't realize we just STOLE a top 5-6 talent. He's Earl Thomas man. The tackling will improve and we're gonna have a top 5 FS for the next 8-10 years. SMDH

Plus you gotta love the name Hooker. LOL. But only a high class Hooker. lmao 

I love when regulars on here mix in both naughty & nice humor man. Well played C-449! Well played. 

14 hours ago, MOB said:

I love Hookers!

By liking this this post, it doesn't mean that I...Oh forget it...I almost rolled on the floor when I read this post though. I can't lie. 

14 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Great pick, that's who I was hoping the Saints would've selected. 

Ballard is doing a fine job thus far reversing the damage that Grigson caused to this team. 

This is why I respect you Bogie. You are always fair & objective. You take a lot of flak on here that I think you don't deserve. Thanks man!  The Saints did get AP though so I'm happy for Bayou fans. 

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Gruder just needs to do what he does best. Just light up like a Christmas tree whenever there is a camera within 50 feet.

You always say this about Chucky & it always cracks me up CC1. haha When comedian Frank Caleindo does Gruden live he always pokes fun at that gleam in John's eye too. 

Look at it like this.  Ballard's last two major moves, Hankins and Hooker, are possibly already the two best players on this defense, and possibly the 3rd and 4th best players on this team.  That tells you everything you need to know about Grigson.  Grigson, who we should probably stop talking about.  Let's enjoy the draft and new era.

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

LOL. May sound funny. But I'm not laughing. Ryan Grigson is comparable to Andy Dick

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

LOL. May sound funny. But I'm not laughing. Ryan Grigson is comparable to Andy Dick

I agree, Grigson stunk to high heaven. He only got GM of the Year because he Drafted Andrew Luck but who wouldn't do that? I will give him credit for TY as well which was the same Draft, outside of that he has had tons of misses in the Draft.

1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

You don't think Clayton Geathers is a "good" safety. You don't think Mike Adams was a "good" safety? You don't think Antoine Bethea was a "good" safety?

Mike Adam's was a stop gap.

Bethea was good,  but its arguable to say his best years were when sanders was on the team.

And I'm sorry,  who's Clayton Geathers? Is he on our team? Cause if so, his presence is not felt and his performance leaves something to be desired. 

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]
2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

For those of you who care. Probably the ones who don't like this pick. He was the TOP rated safety ahead of Adams. That'll probably mean something to you.

Yet Chucky Gruden loves Adams and said he was the best player in the Draft, then he poops on the Hooker pick. ESPN is a joke.

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

For those of you who care. Probably the ones who don't like this pick. He was the TOP rated safety ahead of Adams. That'll probably mean something to you.

Top 2 safeties in the draft.  Adams is a great SS with Ray Lewis like leadership and great near the LOS.

Hooker is a FS and a better athlete, more like Ed Reed protecting the back-end of the defense.  We're lucky Hooker wasn't the Ray Lewis type, he would've been drafted #1 overall.  :)

42 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I guess the Hilton trade and the up and coming linemen on the roster right now can be accredited to whom?

To say Luck was the only thing he done positive is your inability to acknowledge facts.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess the Hilton trade and the up and coming linemen on the roster right now can be accredited to whom?

To say Luck was the only thing he done positive is your inability to acknowledge facts.

Yeah I'll give you TY, Davis, and Mewhort. But he probably just got lucky. The bad outweighs the good by a million miles and like I said Grigson is comparable to Andy Dick. He sucks. There's no defending him.

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah I'll give you TY, Davis, and Mewhort. But he probably just got lucky. The bad outweighs the good by a million miles and like I said Grigson is comparable to Andy Dick. He sucks. There's no defending him.

Winning the GM of the year was no fluke or joke. All this while being 39 million is dead cap space. So continue to be narrow minded all you want.

11 hours ago, Superman said:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/malik-hooker-vs-michigan-2016/

Go to 4:30 and just watch 15 seconds of film before you talk about how he "can't tackle," please. 

He is absolutely not a physically imposing tackler, he's not an enforcer or thumper. But he absolutely can make big plays as a tackler. And more importantly, he gets in good position, breaks down well and gets his arms around ball carriers to bring them down. Not quite a drag down tackler, but he's definitely not out there stoning guys left and right. 

This is a great draft pick, without a doubt. He was the best secondary player in this draft, let alone safety. To me, the only reason he didn't go in the top five -- rare air for a safety, but he belonged, IMO -- is because he's still recovering from surgery. Same reason Jonathan Allen fell to #17, but apparently Hooker's medical is less concerning than Allen's. 

The other knock on him is he only had one year of experience - a double edged sword that works both for and against you.  He's got a ton of room to grow, but he might turn in a average or even bad first year.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The other knock on him is he only had one year of experience - a double edged sword that works both for and against you.  He's got a ton of room to grow, but he might turn in a average or even bad first year.

I think most people expect him to have a rocky rookie year regardless.  Aside from making the difficult transition from college to pro, he has a lot to learn.  But in the long run, I think he'll be an excellent player.

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

I think most people expect him to have a rocky rookie year regardless.  Aside from making the difficult transition from college to pro, he has a lot to learn.  But in the long run, I think he'll be an excellent player.

Well, that's what everyone said about TJ Green too and we took him in the second.  So, get ready for a bumpy ride, because i'ts going to get like the Beast at Kings Island up in here.

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-defense-hungry-colts-go-for-ohio-states-malik-hooker-in-first/

Hooker gave up just 2.78 average yards after the catch per reception allowed into his coverage in 2016.

Malik-Hooker.jpg

The defense needs playmakers, so Ballard drafted a playmaker.  Not sure what there is to be upset about

^ This.  He needs work in the running game, but he is a natural in the passing game.  Which is what you want at FS.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

I think this is a good thing.  He didn't experience the same wear & tear on his body as a four-year starting safety in the Big 10 or SEC.  He wasn't a starter at first, had to red-shirt, and earn a starting spot his 3rd year.  That shows he has dedication to earn his place.  His athleticism is undeniable, and he just needs some coaching in the run game.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, that's what everyone said about TJ Green too and we took him in the second.  So, get ready for a bumpy ride, because i'ts going to get like the Beast at Kings Island up in here.

Hookers strength is his coverage.  He and greens game are nothing alike

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I think this is a good thing.  He didn't experience the same wear & tear on his body as a four-year starting safety in the Big 10 or SEC.  He wasn't a starter at first, had to red-shirt, and earn a starting spot his 3rd year.  That shows he has dedication to earn his place.  His athleticism is undeniable, and he just needs some coaching in the run game.

It's a good thing, but i'ts also bad.  Obviously everyone picks up the speed and nuances of the game differently - some faster than others.  There's no fast route for gaining experience though.  That's what he lacks.  It doesn't mean he can't get there, it only means he probably has a longer way to go, but how quickly he picks it up will make all the difference.  He was really good in his first full year, so obviously we have every reason to believe he will be a good player for us.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm not comparing the players so much as I'm comparing their situations and the forums reaction to them.

Has this forum ever been mostly happy with any first round pick? 

Unhappy with Reggie Wayne, unhappy with Dallas Clark, unhappy with Marlin Jackson, unhappy with Joe Addai...I have seen it all. :) 

Heck, Antoine Bethea was our only safety who picked off Brady in 2006, 2007 & 2009 at least once in each of our regular season games. Yet, we dismiss him as JAG.

13 hours ago, Shive said:

I'm about to just stay in the Draft sub-forum where the guys actually know about these players.

"Well ESPN said he's no good...." 

"Have you watched any of his tape?"

"No, but ESPN..."

:facepalm:

Touche. I'm no draft guru either, but I know the regulars on here who know what the hades they're talking about though. It's cool to see that most Colts fans get how good even great Mr. Hooker can become in a couple of seasons. 

33 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Looking forward to all the jokes you're going to make about his name during game days haha

Exactly 21. Not only that, but whenever Hooker gets a pick say on SNF Al Micheals goes to commercial break playing Motley Crue's 'Girls, Girls, Girls" or Prince's 'Little Red Corvette' for instance, since he's so darn quick on his feet. Just Joking! 

Just now, chad72 said:

Has this forum ever been mostly happy with any first round pick? 

Unhappy with Reggie Wayne, unhappy with Dallas Clark, unhappy with Marlin Jackson, unhappy with Joe Addai...I have seen it all. :) 

lol yup.  Some people expect your first rounders to come in and light the league up and 2nd rounders to perform no worse than average.  Every guy is different and some guys gradually get better, some guys are bad for a year, maybe 2 and then the light turns on, and some guys are always at or near pro bowl levels or never amount to anything. 

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It's a good thing, but i'ts also bad.  Obviously everyone picks up the speed and nuances of the game differently - some faster than others.  There's no fast route for gaining experience though.  That's what he lacks.  It doesn't mean he can't get there, it only means he probably has a longer way to go, but how quickly he picks it up will make all the difference.  He was really good in his first full year, so obviously we have every reason to believe he will be a good player for us.

I think his upside outweighs his downside.  I know that sounds cliche, but I think most everyone agrees.

His downside is his lack of experience and poor angles/tackling in the run game.  More experience, coupled with good coaching, could improve all that.

His upside, his athleticism, his physical attributes, his instincts, these things can't be improved through coaching.

When we're talking best-case scenario vs. worst-case scenario with this guy, the upside definitely outweighs the downside.

44 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Traded a 1st for Richardson Was thought to be a huge move at the time. Hindsight says otherwise, but this forum went nuts over that trade initially.

Traded Jerry Hughes when he was obviously figuring it out in 2012 Every year prior said he wasn't and it was obvious that he needed a change of scenery. Again, hindsight...

Drafted an un-athletic white EDGE rusher in 2013 over pro bowl caliber players like Rhodes, Hopkins, etc While I hated the pick at the time and still do, as Rhodes was my favorite in that draft, the underlined word is irrelevant and unnecessary.

Signed bum after bum in FA, and gave them big money when better players were available. Example. Toler over Sean Smith, Cole over McPhee, etc, etc, etc, bout 15 other examples.

Drafted Phillip Dorsett when studs like Eric Kendricks, Landon Collins were on the board Kendricks was my draft crush that year, so I was also upset over that pick.

Drafted freaking D'Joun Smith when a 2-3 superstar EDGE rushing prospects were on the board (Danielle Hunter, Frank Clark) It was obvious Hunter had pro bowl potential. Same with Clark. We could have stayed in RD2 and moved up 2-3 spots for Markus Golden Smith was viewed as a really solid CB prospect, who ended up not being able to stay healthy or understand the defense. Hunter was viewed as a 1 trick pony that was extremely raw and I believe Clark had some serious red flags.

Everyone hated him. From players to coaches.

And that STUPID look/facial expression he always had on his face. Like he was something in his mind, when he was/is nothing in reality.

Need I continue???

I responded to most of your statements above. You seem to love to use hindsight to scrutinize others' decisons and say what you would have differently. But at that moment in time without the benefit of hindsight, I highly you would make the decisions you think you would've.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I think his upside outweighs his downside.  I know that sounds cliche, but I think most everyone agrees.

His downside is his lack of experience and poor angles/tackling in the run game.  More experience, coupled with good coaching, could improve all that.

His upside, his athleticism, his physical attributes, his instincts, these things can't be improved through coaching.

When we're talking best-case scenario vs. worst-case scenario with this guy, the upside definitely outweighs the downside.

That's jsut it, the things he's being knocked for, experience, angles, tackling, are all things that can be improved upon.  The thing that you can't always improve upon is instincts, recognition and explosiveness.  You either have them or you don't.  You can of course get better with recognition with practice.  He needs to by the way, but for a guy with one season under his belt, his reaction and instincts are already off the charts.  You give him a couple years of experience and the game will move slow like the matrix does for Neo.

24 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Touche. I'm no draft guru either, but I know the regulars on here who know what the hades they're talking about though. It's cool to see that most Colts fans get how good even great Mr. Hooker can become in a couple of seasons. 

Exactly 21. Not only that, but whenever Hooker gets a pick say on SNF Al Micheals goes to commercial break playing Motley Crue's 'Girls, Girls, Girls" or Prince's 'Little Red Corvette' for instance, since he's so darn quick on his feet. Just Joking! 

Little Red Corvette??  SW1 you are making me and a few others feel old. :billiejean:haha

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

After 17 pages of a thread about Hooker, I have yet to read anything about how good he is at "coverage", meaning turning and running with receivers.  

That was the criticism of Green, and it was what the defense supposedly needs, which is why Butler was playing FS.

So why are people defending Hooker, but not mentioning his actual coverage ability or experience at doing it.

Its as if they have no idea.  They should stop loving the pick until that gets discussed.

They compare him to Ed Reed enough said. He is a ballhawk his zone coverage is amazing man coverage average but good enough for safety he will be the best safety we have will take a couple years to get elite level in NFL though but still probally best safety on Colts roster atm. The only concern is possible injuries.

27 minutes ago, Shive said:

I responded to most of your statements above. You seem to love to use hindsight to scrutinize others' decisons and say what you would have differently. But at that moment in time without the benefit of hindsight, I highly you would make the decisions you think you would've.

" Traded a 1st for Richardson Was thought to be a huge move at the time. Hindsight says otherwise, but this forum went nuts over that trade initially. " LoL Trent couldn't run behind one of best OL's in browns at the time and this forum went nuts? What does that tell you about the average user on this forum? Hooker is a player we should've had to trade up 5-10 spots to draft. We got a steal.