Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Irsay Move Of The Offseason?

WeSpy

There have been a lot of changes made by Jim Irsay so far this year, mostly front office/coaching staff. No really notable personnel decisons have been made. Which move of Irsay's do you think was the best, and why?

In my opinion, firing Chris Polian as General Manager was Irsay's best move. He was just not someone who I thought was extremely capable. I liked Bill for the most part, but not his son. And keep in mind, Larry Coyer's firing was not in the offseason. It was a mid-season move.

By the way, I bet I know which move firejimcaldwell will say was the best.. :)

Pagano. The more I read about what players say about him, the happier I get.

I've been encouraged, too. It seemed like Reggie was more excited when talking about Coach Pagano than I've seen him in a long time. I hope he brings a new mentality to the team but keeps the Colts' rich tradition of success alive as well.

I think his smartest move has been waiting until after the Super Bowl to make any kind of announcement about Manning's future with the team. To say anything that would take attention away from the big game being played in his stadium would be really dumb in my opinion. People everywhere, including myself, are anxiously awaiting the news on Peyton's official status, but waiting until after Sunday is without a doubt the best move.

Luvtheshoe, who says he is 50 % or lost the ability to play ? No one has seen that, last game he played,entire last season did you see any slip ? Was he slower afoot ? Slower reads ? Not like he has regressed like say Unitas when we let him go. Manning hasnt slipped yet, he has an injury which he is rehabbing. He will know full well what % if any is lost when he steps onto the field. Granted a 50% Manning is better then most of the league and surely better then any rookie be it Luck, RG3,Dalton but he may be 95-100 % Nothing has shown us otherwise and Dr's said a FULL recovery is possible. Peyton has taken fewer hits then almost any other QB with his amount of starts, his sacks numbers are half of those with his many games. We arent talking about any beat up QB, makes me wonder if some here have even watched games the past decade. Again if they would have left him go EPIC fail but all signs now point toward him staying, common sense kicked in and maybe was always there just media talked about what they wanted to talk about.

Luvtheshoe, who says he is 50 % or lost the ability to play ? No one has seen that, last game he played,entire last season did you see any slip ? Was he slower afoot ? Slower reads ? Not like he has regressed like say Unitas when we let him go. Manning hasnt slipped yet, he has an injury which he is rehabbing. He will know full well what % if any is lost when he steps onto the field. Granted a 50% Manning is better then most of the league and surely better then any rookie be it Luck, RG3,Dalton but he may be 95-100 % Nothing has shown us otherwise and Dr's said a FULL recovery is possible. Peyton has taken fewer hits then almost any other QB with his amount of starts, his sacks numbers are half of those with his many games. We arent talking about any beat up QB, makes me wonder if some here have even watched games the past decade. Again if they would have left him go EPIC fail but all signs now point toward him staying, common sense kicked in and maybe was always there just media talked about what they wanted to talk about.

We dont know what a 50% Manning looks like nor do we know what a 100% Luck looks like. Those are silly assumptions.

Also what signs point to him staying? If moving on from Manning for the best interest of the franchise is an epic fail then do you think it was an epic fail for the 49ers letting go of Joe Montana (The greatest of all time)? 3 years removed from a SB, 2 years removed from the NFCCG?

They let go of the GOAT for an unproven quarterback in Steve Young! Oh no!

Don't know yet. All I know is that I truly believe that Irsay is doing his best to make decisions he believes to be in the best interest of this franchise going forward. However, this offseason will be either boom or bust. He'll be viewed as a visionary or as the man who mismanaged the franchise at it's most critical juncture. There is no in between here. At this point, it's too early to cast judgment on anything that has transpired.

They let go of the GOAT for an unproven quarterback in Steve Young! Oh no!

You need to let go of that. Young had been on board for a few years before they dared to let Montana go (I believe 4-5 years in the league). They had a very good idea what he could do at the pro-level.

That has nothing at all in common with what the Colts are facing......so stop bringing it up, please.

You need to let go of that. Young had been on board for a few years before they dared to let Montana go (I believe 4-5 years in the league). They had a very good idea what he could do at the pro-level.

That has nothing at all in common with what the Colts are facing......so stop bringing it up, please.

I was a niners fan LONG before a Colts fan and still root for them today. Young when he was brought on board to the 49ers was already declared a "bust" because of what he did in Tampa Bay. Walsh saw something in him and brought him aboard(also with the Bucs being a poor team).

Young was 3-16 before coming to the 49ers and had 11 TDs 21 Ints. He was unproven and did not fit the standard NFL qb prototype. There were a lot of question marks surrounding him and he still had many flaws.

When Montana was injured later in the SB years, Young came in at times and showed he COULD be an NFL quarterback but many were crediting his success due to the talent around him and no one seriously thought they were going to get rid of Montana at the time. Even after two years of being a starter when Montana went down a lot of fans did not want Montana to go because he had just won a SB 3 years before. Many (including I) thought it was time to bring on Steve Young and let Montana go. This is the point I'm trying to make here. Letting go of Montana for Young was extremely hard for a lot of fans even though Montana didn't play in such a long time. This guy put SF on the map and the fan base was split at the time. Then they traded Montana and the rest was history.

A franchise will not necessarily suffer if there is a good plan in place for a successor. Similar to how the 49ers, packers had their successors ready.

I was a niners fan LONG before a Colts fan and still root for them today. Young when he was brought on board to the 49ers was already declared a "bust" because of what he did in Tampa Bay. Walsh saw something in him and brought him aboard(also with the Bucs being a poor team).

Young was 3-16 before coming to the 49ers and had 11 TDs 21 Ints. He was unproven and did not fit the standard NFL qb prototype. There were a lot of question marks surrounding him and he still had many flaws.

When Montana was injured later in the SB years, Young came in at times and showed he COULD be an NFL quarterback but many were crediting his success due to the talent around him and no one seriously thought they were going to get rid of Montana at the time. Even after two years of being a starter when Montana went down a lot of fans did not want Montana to go because he had just won a SB 3 years before. Many (including I) thought it was time to bring on Steve Young and let Montana go. This is the point I'm trying to make here. Letting go of Montana for Young was extremely hard for a lot of fans even though Montana didn't play in such a long time. This guy put SF on the map and the fan base was split at the time. Then they traded Montana and the rest was history.

A franchise will not necessarily suffer if there is a good plan in place for a successor. Similar to how the 49ers, packers had their successors ready.

I was there in the '80s bro. I appreciate what you're doing, as many here aren't well versed in NFL history. Young was always regarding as a sick athletic talent stuck on the worst franchise of his era (TB).

I'm absolutely fine with having Luck here, learning and ready to go when needed. My issue is that it is not best for our immediate future to dump Manning and start Luck. We have an opportunity to stock Manning with some fresh talent and perhaps a balanced and effective defense.

Replacing Caldwell with Pagano.

Getting rid of Caldwell and the coaching staff was the best thing. It made no sense to use the term rebuild, fire the Polians and keep most of the coaching staff to me personally.

Being consistent in the coaching staff decisions was the best thing that happened. Could have still used a better DC :(