Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking forward to next year

coltsfeva

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

His lost fumble in their own territory was an absolute killer too. For how well he played in that game, those 2 plays are going to haunt him for a long time.

I don't blame that on Ryan.  I could have impeded Hightower more than their RB.

20 hours ago, Superman said:

Jesus Christ, one post in, this turns into every other thread from the last three months.

OP: I'm looking forward to next season.

Everyone else: Yeah, but Pagano's still the coach.

OP: I hope the new GM brings in some good players.

Everyone else: Won't matter, Pagano's still the coach.

OP: I think cucumbers taste better pickled.

Everyone else: Makes no difference as long as Pagano's the coach.

SMH... It's gonna be a loooong offseason.

Just saying I don't see the Colts making a run for it and being championship contenders with Pagano as head coach. I'd love to share the OP's optimism, but as long as Pagano is the head coach, I can't. 

11 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Just saying I don't see the Colts making a run for it and being championship contenders with Pagano as head coach. I'd love to share the OP's optimism, but as long as Pagano is the head coach, I can't. 

Coaches can make mistakes, yet be in the big dance.  Witness Dan Quinn, Kyle Shannahan, Matt Ryan triumvirate fail on their last drive (as all 3 are accountable). But they were there and had it in their grasp.  Yet topping Bill Belichick and Tom Brady is no easy pickins'...  for anybody.

BB has 7 Lombardi's, ( 2 Under Bill Parcells ) and Tom 5.  And both lost 2 more. That's heady territory, and tough standard to top.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They honestly could've taken a knee 3 times and kicked a FG, game over. The look on Belichick's face if they'd done that would've been priceless.

You actually lose about 2 yards per play when you kneel on it. And if they use their Timeouts, not much game clock is burned either.  If I was Quinn, I would have went to Shannahan and said put in the fullback, and only run to the A or B gap(s).  If we get to fourth down, run the playclock down to 2 then we'll call timeout and kick a field goal.

In fact, I told my wife they would do that during the game, and usually I look like a genius to her.  But then the Falcons did what they did and made me a fool... until...  :facepalm:  on out of field goal range, with their defense gassed, and Pats pumped up.

12 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Coaches can make mistakes, yet be in the big dance.  Witness Dan Quinn, Kyle Shannahan, Matt Ryan triumvirate fail on their last drive (as all 3 are accountable). But they were there and had it in their grasp.  Yet topping Bill Belichick and Tom Brady is no easy pickins'...  for anybody.

BB has 7 Lombardi's, ( 2 Under Bill Parcells ) and Tom 5.  And both lost 2 more. That's heady territory, and tough standard to top.

Agree absolutely.  Coaches can change and learn.  However, Pagano seems to be making the same coaching and scheme mistakes year after year.  He hasn't shown the ability to get this team ready to beat the AFC's elite (Pittsburgh, New England).  I don't have much confidence in Pagano.  Not only that, but Kyle Shanahan and Quinn had a pretty solid regular season; they just made the worst mistakes on the biggest stage.  Pagano's team has failed to have a good regular season two years in a row, including last year with Luck for 15/16 games.  Like everyone else, I'd love to see the Colts win the Super Bowl.  I just don't share the OP's optimism that we can get there with Pagano.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Get the right people to do the right things right and take care of those who take care of you.... pretty simple, or not.

Optimism is all we have right now.

Thing I hate about this team is the inconsistency 

Multiple blowout wins this past season and still finished 8-8 

One week they look like super bowl champs, next week look like they belong in London or Las Vegas 

That's on the coaching staff and the players 

Coaches for not game planning & adjusting better. Players for not executing better 

Hopefully Ballard can build this team to have that swagger of "we're better than you"

On 2/6/2017 at 9:08 PM, Malakai432 said:

I'm keeping my expectations low but have some optimism.  I think we'll have to see how the draft, cuts, and free agency goes.  The D needs a lot of work and that's not factoring in injuries that seem to plague the Colts on a yearly basis.  Should be the most interesting offseason since 2012 though and I'm looking forward to seeing what Ballard does. 

Well said. This is where I stand on things myself, and I feel there's reason to be optimistic. 

We got Luck on our side! :)

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Thing I hate about this team is the inconsistency 

Multiple blowout wins this past season and still finished 8-8 

One week they look like super bowl champs, next week look like they belong in London or Las Vegas 

That's on the coaching staff and the players 

Coaches for not game planning & adjusting better. Players for not executing better 

Hopefully Ballard can build this team to have that swagger of "we're better than you"

The 'London' Beefeaters, with their big 'fluffy' helmets could play better than Cleveland. Just saying....

17 hours ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

Moderator or not, he has a right to his opinion just like everyone else here, wether you agree with it or not. 

Regardless, I'm looking forward to next season because I love me some Colts. I'm not a huge Pagano fan after this season, but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully with our new GM he can right the ship. Win or lose, I'll be there supporting them. 

For what it's worth,  the person who challenged the idea of turning a positive thread immediately into a negative thread was another moderator --- Superman.

And since he did that,  as I'm posting this, some 34 other posters have given his post a "like"...

Thirty-four!

I think you know how large a number of likes that is for one post to get.

I respect that a moderator is allowed to state their own opinions.    But a little perspective by a few people would help keep things from going sideways as they often do around here.      What is the point of coming to any given thread and chiming in with......    "it doesn't matter,  Chuck Pagano is the head coach."  

I mean......     What?      Is?     The?     Point?      of doing that over and over and over again?

We get it.    A sizable number of posters here don't like Chuck Pagano.     But he's the HC for 2017,  so can we please deal with it,  and move on?

Please note this post was not intended just for you,  but more for a broader audience.....

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth,  the person who challenged the idea of turning a positive thread immediately into a negative thread was another moderator --- Superman.

And since he did that,  as I'm posting this, some 34 other posters have given his post a "like"...

Thirty-four!

I think you know how large a number of likes that is for one post to get.

I respect that a moderator is allowed to state their own opinions.    But a little perspective by a few people would help keep things from going sideways as they often do around here.      What is the point of coming to any given thread and chiming in with......    "it doesn't matter,  Chuck Pagano is the head coach."  

I mean......     What?      Is?     The?     Point?      of doing that over and over and over again?

We get it.    A sizable number of posters here don't like Chuck Pagano.     But he's the HC for 2017,  so can we please deal with it,  and move on?

Please note this post was not intended just for you,  but more for a broader audience.....

I get what you're saying, but still took your comment as an attempt to shame him for being a moderator and stating his unpopular (to some) opinion. 

And if if you're going to bring up likes, his post has more likes then yours, and I only got one, from you, lol. :P 

2 hours ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

I get what you're saying, but still took your comment as an attempt to shame him for being a moderator and stating his unpopular (to some) opinion. 

And if if you're going to bring up likes, his post has more likes then yours, and I only got one, from you, lol. :P 

I have no doubt his view on Pagano is popular.     But I was stunned to see 34 likes for the other side.

That's not a number you see everyday....

5 hours ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no doubt his view on Pagano is popular.     But I was stunned to see 34 likes for the other side.

That's not a number you see everyday....

Moderators are fans too.  When they post, it is from their fan perspective... not the moderator doing due diligence.  Thus moderators can, and do, disagree.  Disagreement is prevalent around here, and as long as no rules are broken, welcome.  Points of view, opinion, and ideas are uncovered. 

There are a few out there that just can't wrap their head around Pagano not being gone and Gruden or Cowher, or...  (insert Fave HC candidate here) isn't hired instead.  It's like they should hashtag #NotMyHeadCoach on their posts.  Some are OK with retaining the HC, and others are ready to move on regardless.Anyway, most of the time the members here help self police  too many redundant posts and they slow quickly.thereafter.

And it is not all that Pagano is so popular, but there are some that are joined by those realizing Pagano is here in any event, and thus also tired of the 'yeah, but, Pagano is... posts as well.

12 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Moderators are fans too.  When they post, it is from their fan perspective... not the moderator doing due diligence.  Thus moderators can, and do, disagree.  Disagreement is prevalent around here, and as long as no rules are broken, welcome.  Points of view, opinion, and ideas are uncovered. 

There are a few out there that just can't wrap their head around Pagano not being gone and Gruden or Cowher, or...  (insert Fave HC candidate here) isn't hired instead.  It's like they should hashtag #NotMyHeadCoach on their posts.  Some are OK with retaining the HC, and others are ready to move on regardless.Anyway, most of the time the members here help self police  too many redundant posts and they slow quickly.thereafter.

And it is not all that Pagano is so popular, but there are some that are joined by those realizing Pagano is here in any event, and thus also tired of

I'm not trying to take away anyone's right to post --- including a moderator.

What I,  and clearly by his post --- Superman does too --- is request that someone looks at the Big Picture.

Someone makes a positive *:    "I'm looking forward to the season for the following reasons......"

Someone comes along and responds.....     "Won't make any difference,  Pagano is still our head coach."

I think it's a lame response and not helpful to advancing good discussion.     You wan't your view heard?     OK,   I've got no problem with that.     How about start your own thread and make it negative.     Then all the people who don't like Pagano can go and hang out together and talk shop there. 

And all the people who are more optimistic about the upcoming season can have their own clean,  more uplifting thread where positive viewpoints can be expressed.

I think this different approach to posting might lead to fewer fights.    Fewer arguments.    Fewer personal attacks.       If you just throw it all into one big thread and let people battle it out,   I think it becomes a bit of blood sport for too many and it's a turn-off for a large number of posters.

Again,  not trying to restrict anyone's viewpoint.     Just trying to cater to everyone, no matter which side of the debate you're on.......

Just some food for thought for moderators to consider.....

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

think it's a lame response and not helpful to advancing good discussion.     You wan't your view heard?     OK,   I've got no problem with that.     How about start your own thread and make it negative.     Then all the people who don't like Pagano can go and hang out together and talk shop there. 

You're are saying you would have preferred he tell the fire-pagano people to choose another thread.......but not they way he did?

Personally, I enjoyed the comic relief........although I do come down on the pickle side of the argument.

There are a few people here that have a gift for cracking me up.  Superman is one of them.  But I get it, not all senses of humor are the same.

To your point though, when the 'beat a dead horse' posters get too terribly obnoxious, we'll pin a thread for them.  But short of that, people just need to do the best they can to keep things from becoming too redundant.

Your reaction to his post v my reaction is an example on how we don't all see things the same way. 

discussion is like that, that's fine

Ok, some fans are optimistic we have a new GM. Can't blame them a bit.

Ok, some fans ARE NOT optimistic still having pagano here. Can't blame them either.

Regardless of what Irsay says publicly about pagano never having a losing record and he's our HC going forward is PR spin.

Its Irsay who has tried to replace him for the last 3 seasons. Only reason pags is still here is because Irsay couldn't lure a suitable coach to replace him.

So if our own owner is not confident in him getting the job done, you can't blame some fans who agree with him.

After listening to Conrad Brunner on JMV today,  I'm not confident at all about winning next season. After the Ballard presser Brunner said he and other reporters were able to speak with Irsay on the side about the team moving forward and Irsay said that he'd rather have a couple down years to get younger and rebuild than have the possibility of going 8-8 again. 

That doesnt sound like an owner who thinks we are just a player or two away from contention. If that's true, it makes perfect sense to keep Pagano around. 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Ok, some fans are optimistic we have a new GM. Can't blame them a bit.

Ok, some fans ARE NOT optimistic still having pagano here. Can't blame them either.

Regardless of what Irsay says publicly about pagano never having a losing record and he's our HC going forward is PR spin.

Its Irsay who has tried to replace him for the last 3 seasons. Only reason pags is still here is because Irsay couldn't lure a suitable coach to replace him.

So if our own owner is not confident in him getting the job done, you can't blame some fans who agree with him.

Is that a typo or did you mean to write 3 seasons?

I can only find 2 seasons.      '15 and '16,  the two 8-8 seasons.

I don't recall Irsay looking to get rid of Pagano after we lost in the AFC Championship?

Is my memory playing tricks on me?        I honestly don't recall that,  so I'm asking......

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't recall Irsay looking to get rid of Pagano after we lost in the AFC Championship?

Is my memory playing tricks on me?        I honestly don't recall that,  so I'm asking......

I wouldn't have been upset had Irsay fired Pagano after the AFCCG. It was yet another blowout to add to the resume of blowouts. 

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I recall correctly the first preseason game vs buffalo after the championship game loss he voiced his displeasure on how bad colts played against the bills, yeah first presseason game!!!

I think it was just before or just after that he said it was Super Bowl or Bust for pagano?

Regardless if it's been 2 or 3 seasons or in between, irsay does not have full confidence in him. And like I said above, we can't blame any fans who agree with our beloved owner.

52 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

After listening to Conrad Brunner on JMV today,  I'm not confident at all about winning next season. After the Ballard presser Brunner said he and other reporters were able to speak with Irsay on the side about the team moving forward and Irsay said that he'd rather have a couple down years to get younger and rebuild than have the possibility of going 8-8 again. 

That doesnt sound like an owner who thinks we are just a player or two away from contention. If that's true, it makes perfect sense to keep Pagano around. 

Wow!

Basically, this is like a year of football on strike in the football season sense for the Colts. We aren't winning anything with Pagano. We'll go through FA, the draft, hope some of our young players develop into stars during the season, and prepare for the inevitable departure of Pagano when we can get a competent coach and compete. 2018 is when the fun starts when we have a new coach, and 2 new FA classes and drafts under our belts from the new GM.

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Basically, this is like a year of football on strike in the football season sense for the Colts. We aren't winning anything with Pagano. We'll go through FA, the draft, hope some of our young players develop into stars during the season, and prepare for the inevitable departure of Pagano when we can get a competent coach and compete. 2018 is when the fun starts when we have a new coach, and 2 new FA classes and drafts under our belts from the new GM.

Or we improve and win the division this year, find out we have a good coach in-house and then build with our new GM. I honestly am not sure what to expect this year.

59 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

Or we improve and win the division this year, find out we have a good coach in-house and then build with our new GM. I honestly am not sure what to expect this year.

Read my post a couple of lines up about what Irsay said after the Ballard presser. 

I don't expect a big splash in free agency unless there are some younger players to build a team around. They will be building a team for the future by getting younger. 

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Not to mention a 41 year old Tom Brady on his last football breath. 2018 is gonna be a fun year. 

If we get a coach like Toub or Harbaugh, we taking over the league and Luck will be the new face of the NFL. 

On 2/7/2017 at 5:00 AM, Superman said:
On 2/7/2017 at 4:44 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

So far, since I've been watching since 1998, the only correct decisions he's made are taking Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck no 1 overall, along with hiring Tony Dungy.

This is a laughably ignorant statement.

If he was being sincere then wow.... A part of me wants to holdout that he was being sarcastic.

Knowing Jared though it was a sincere statement.... /facepalm

On 2/6/2017 at 8:01 PM, Superman said:

Jesus Christ, one post in, this turns into every other thread from the last three months.

OP: I'm looking forward to next season.

Everyone else: Yeah, but Pagano's still the coach.

OP: I hope the new GM brings in some good players.

Everyone else: Won't matter, Pagano's still the coach.

OP: I think cucumbers taste better pickled.

Everyone else: Makes no difference as long as Pagano's the coach.

SMH... It's gonna be a loooong offseason.

Easy on the JC dude!

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

If he was being sincere then wow.... A part of me wants to holdout that he was being sarcastic.

Knowing Jared though it was a sincere statement.... /facepalm

You seem to be the only poster that hates my guts on here. Does it keep you up at night, lol. I don't see you having any use on this forum.