Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts defense

klh7768

I was not a fan of the change from 4-3 to a 3-4.  When the change was made we did not have the players for a 3-4.   Mathis and Freeney are legit DE on a 4-3.   We let Freeney go, and try to convert Mathis to an OLB when he is not in his prime.  Then there are the linebackers.  I still don't think we have good enough players for a 3-4 defense and we tried to make up for it in free agency using players past their prime.   Colts changed Defensive Coordinators this past offseason.   So that causes me to pause and ask the wth questions.....is it players, coaches, or both.   

The Lions won one game against us, and have lost every week since.  If our defense would have held for 30 seconds we would have won that game.  We had defensive issues against the bloody Jaguars and lost that game too.  Yes I know the offense did not help starting slowly against Jacksonville, but the defense is older than the offense in terms of players age.

Am I wrong to want to go back to the 4-3 ?

I like the 4-3 more simply because you're rushing 4 at minimum every play unless it's hail Mary at the end.

I'm all about pass rush. 3-4 you may be rushing 3 at times and that's not enough unless you have a front like the Jets or Chiefs which we obviously don't 

I don't agree with a lot of the offensive/defensive packages we use, but gotta have faith that irsay and company know what they're doing

However, I do love the 3 safety formation we're using to get Green, Geathers, & Adams on the field all at once 

50 minutes ago, klh7768 said:

I was not a fan of the change from 4-3 to a 3-4.  When the change was made we did not have the players for a 3-4.   Mathis and Freeney are legit DE on a 4-3.   We let Freeney go, and try to convert Mathis to an OLB when he is not in his prime.  Then there are the linebackers.  I still don't think we have good enough players for a 3-4 defense and we tried to make up for it in free agency using players past their prime.   Colts changed Defensive Coordinators this past offseason.   So that causes me to pause and ask the wth questions.....is it players, coaches, or both.   

The Lions won one game against us, and have lost every week since.  If our defense would have held for 30 seconds we would have won that game.  We had defensive issues against the bloody Jaguars and lost that game too.  Yes I know the offense did not help starting slowly against Jacksonville, but the defense is older than the offense in terms of players age.

We've played a % ton of 4-2-5 and some 3-3-5, but I don't believe I've seen more than handful of plays where we've played with 3 down DLineman. I was surprised to see that the team is only allowing ~105 yards rushing per game. However, the majority of the passing yards against us are on screens and RB's/TE's out of the backfield, which is and has been a major issues the last 4 years. While we are weak at the ILB spot, the coaches should be able to scheme and protect those guys better than they have. If they find a way to slow down the screens this defense will look a whole lot different, but until then, we are going to continue watching 3rd downs get converted because we haven't shown that we can come anywhere close to stopping them. 

However, the offense can't keep going into half time at 7 points or less. That's completely inexcusable.

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

I like the 4-3 more simply because you're rushing 4 at minimum every play unless it's hail Mary at the end.

I'm all about pass rush. 3-4 you may be rushing 3 at times and that's not enough unless you have a front like the Jets or Chiefs which we obviously don't 

I don't agree with a lot of the offensive/defensive packages we use, but gotta have faith that irsay and company know what they're doing

However, I do love the 3 safety formation we're using to get Green, Geathers, & Adams on the field all at once 

agree, I also like the 3 safety thing

1 hour ago, klh7768 said:

no, I do too, this is not working

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

You can consistently rush 4 from the 3-4 as well.  You might be rushing 3 at times, but you can do that from a 4-3 as well.  The advantage to rushing 4 from the 3-4 instead of the 4-3 is the QB can't tell where the 4th is coming from.  If we have our 3-4, the QB won't know if it's Walden or Mathis coming as the 4th rusher.  But if you're in a 4-3, chances are usually high you're not running a zone blitz.

I don't think one system is better than the other.  I think you can have a top defense if you have a 4-3 or a 3-4.  The issue is finding players to fit that defense.  Warren Sapp was dominant in a 4-3, but not as good in a 3-4.  Same with Albert Haynesworth.  Run whatever defense you want, but find the right players who fit the system

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

You can consistently rush 4 from the 3-4 as well.  You might be rushing 3 at times, but you can do that from a 4-3 as well.  The advantage to rushing 4 from the 3-4 instead of the 4-3 is the QB can't tell where the 4th is coming from.  If we have our 3-4, the QB won't know if it's Walden or Mathis coming as the 4th rusher.  But if you're in a 4-3, chances are usually high you're not running a zone blitz

We have no pass rush.  It doesn't matter if they come from the left, right, or middle.  We don't have enough pressure.  We don't have enough sacks or QB hits to make an impact so far.

16 minutes ago, klh7768 said:

We have no pass rush.  It doesn't matter if they come from the left, right, or middle.  We don't have enough pressure.  We don't have enough sacks or QB hits to make an impact so far.

Agreed, but that's not because of our defensive system.  It's because of the talent we have on the roster

But it don't matter what kind of defensive scheme you run. you can be successful with either. You just have to have GOOD players, and the right players. For example. If we'd get rid of our genius general manager, Pagano, and some other coaches, bring in a more aggressive GM, and a competent HC, go out and sign Chandler Jones, Stephon Gilmore, and Dont'a Hightower, then get a good sideline to sideline, coverage ILB, a RB, and another EDGE rusher in the 1st 3 rounds we'd be looking at a different team next year.

Honestly, the defense has not been provided enough personnel to play good defense. We added no impact players to a below average defense from last year, so we should not expect a lot more. It's bad when we look forward to someone as old as Mathis to come in a make plays. But think about it, there are no real play makers on the defense and no one above average. But it is amazing that the Colts have not had a good defensive coordinator since the mid-90s. Excuses aside.

6 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

But it don't matter what kind of defensive scheme you run. you can be successful with either. You just have to have GOOD players, and the right players. For example. If we'd get rid of our genius general manager, Pagano, and some other coaches, bring in a more aggressive GM, and a competent HC, go out and sign Chandler Jones, Stephon Gilmore, and Dont'a Hightower, then get a good sideline to sideline, coverage ILB, a RB, and another EDGE rusher in the 1st 3 rounds we'd be looking at a different team next year.

This isn't madden. You can't just go sign three of the top free agents in one off season.

2 minutes ago, relkins said:

Not so bad we only gave them 500 yds

Yeah, how they only managed to score 23 points with 500+ yards amazes me lol.  Fortunately that's the Bears for you.  Alshon Jeffrey was wide open at the end there I'm wondering if Hoyer was "blinded by the light," haha! 

This defense is one of the most putrid units I've ever seen. Even the basics of tackling and covering all the guys at the start of the snap seem like a challenge. Very frustrating to watch these guys go out there and find new ways to # up.

As big of a supporter of wait until the season is over for reviewing the future, this game shows at basically full strength of our D that it simply doesnt have the talent to compete.

I doubt Art Jones coming back will invoke a Bob Sanders rally cry.  There isnt anyone on this roster that can make it better.  Not even the coaches.

As much as I hate to admit I was wrong, i have seen enough.  We arent a contender.

Glad for the win and if we win next week we could be in 1st place as strange as that sounds but unless someone can explain to me how the D can get better or can at least adjust the scheme to hide the weaknesses we will be 500 team and miss the playoffs and not have much of a draft pick.  (Yes 21isSuperman, I am starting to see the light.).

Just now, Malakai432 said:

Yeah, how they only managed to score 23 points with 500+ yards amazes me lol.  Fortunately that's the Bears for you.  Alshon Jeffrey was wide open at the end there I'm wondering if Hoyer was "blinded by the light," haha! 

Light looked like it favored us lol

8 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

This defense is one of the most putrid units I've ever seen. Even the basics of tackling and covering all the guys at the start of the snap seem like a challenge. Very frustrating to watch these guys go out there and find new ways to # up.

Please add to the can't tackle and can't cover , can't rush the passer .