Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Harbaugh to run the whole show

azcolt

Okay, I know this topic has been discussed extensively within the past year. I also know Harbaugh seems happy at Meechigun, is borderline nuts and wears out his welcome. But this franchise is a mess and needs a turnaround artist, an eye for talent and the ability to coach up that talent. I hope Irsay is at least considering a run at him. Surely Harbaugh would love to spit in the Niners eyes and prove to himself and the world that he is a better NFL coach than his brother. So tell me why it's not worth a shot rather than settling for 3 1/2 more years of the current clown show or trying two more untested guys to be coach and gm.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, The Peytonator said:

I'd love it for two reasons; get him out of Michigan, and get him into Indianapolis. 

Doubt it happens though, he's going to turn Michigan into the next Alabama.

Only way that happens is if Saban leaves Bama. Now if the Colts want to give Saban or Harbaugh a call I'm all for it. 

6 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I'd love it for two reasons; get him out of Michigan, and get him into Indianapolis. 

Doubt it happens though, he's going to turn Michigan into the next Alabama.

That's why I said to run the whole show. Coach and GM of a team with his guy Luck as qb for 10+ years trumps trying to outrecruit Ohio State every year.

1 minute ago, azcolt said:

That's why I said to run the whole show. Coach and GM of a team with his guy Luck as qb for the 10+ trumps trying to outrecruit Ohio State every year.

Yeah but why mess up a good thing if you're him? He's making plenty of money and has job security as long as they keep winning. He comes to Indy to be our Belichick and he's taking on more responsibility and risk. Plus he just got to Michigan, I'm sure he's not wanting to leave just when he turns them around.

1 minute ago, The Peytonator said:

Yeah but why mess up a good thing if you're him? He's making plenty of money and has job security as long as they keep winning. He comes to Indy to be our Belichick and he's taking on more responsibility and risk. Plus he just got to Michigan, I'm sure he's not wanting to leave just when he turns them around.

I know O'Brien's situation wasn't nearly as good at Penn State but he quickly left Joe Pa U for an NFL team that didn't have the prospect of Andrew as his qb for a decade or more.  The Colts job would surely be much more appealing solely due to Andrew, espcially given Harbaugh's history with Andrew. I admit it seems unlikely, but I hope Irsay at least takes a shot at Harbaugh, if he hasn't already done so. The guy seems to have an enormous ego and getting run out of San Francisco surely left some open wounds that coaching in the Big Ten won't heal.

52 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Agreed. . . he'd look bad if he left Michigan right now.

Plus I'm not sure he has much desire to be an NFL coach.  

First he was run out of SF because the owner and the GM didn't like him.  True you can make him GM (that's if that's something he wants to do).  But he can't get rid of the owner.  In Michigan he doesn't necessarly have to get along with his AD as the AD has a lot less power then an NFL owner and won't fire a winning football coach. 

Secondly he's making just as much money if not more then most NFL coaches right now.  

26 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Okay, I know this topic has been discussed extensively within the past year. I also know Harbaugh seems happy at Meechigun, is borderline nuts and wears out his welcome. But this franchise is a mess and needs a turnaround artist, an eye for talent and the ability to coach up that talent. I hope Irsay is at least considering a run at him. Surely Harbaugh would love to spit in the Niners eyes and prove to himself and the world that he is a better NFL coach than his brother. So tell me why it's not worth a shot rather than settling for 3 1/2 more years of the current clown show or trying two more untested guys to be coach and gm.

What have you seen from him that suggests he "has an eye for talent?"  He was not a GM with the Niners.

Just now, jskinnz said:

What have you seen from him that suggests he "has an eye for talent?"  He was not a GM with the Niners.

Stanford was horrible until he got there and started finding talent .. and that worked out pretty well. 

The problem with Harbaugh is just what you said, he wears out his welcome.  He complains about everything and is kinda immature in that sense.  It won't really help us if he comes in and has 3 great years, then the team starts to have a drop off again because players are getting tired of him.  That's why I don't want to see him be hired here in Indy.

I've been annoying my wife since week 1 with my wishes for Harbaugh.  I'm a huge Chuck fan and haven't called for him to be fired  (even after the fake punt, lol), until this year. I'm over it. There's no reason for this ineptitude that we're showing. I guess I've officially crossed the picket line.... I don't like it over here. I'm much happier with the wait and see approach... but now I've waited.... and seen. I'm ready for new.

In a recent interview he said something along the lines of he misses the nfl. 

I don't know how good Michigan is but if they can win a National Championship this year do you think that helps influence Harbaugh to come to nfl?

As much as I wanted pagano be gone last year, I'd rather see him survive until someone like Harbaugh, Saban, Meyer can be persuaded and secured to come to the Colts.

My fear is we fire pagano and replace him with another ho hum hc. Maybe someone within like Chud or philbin.

That would be awful.

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

That is pretty much exactly what I thought you would say. Thanks for the good laugh.

Glad you are amused. Most people who know anything about football would trade our head coach and gm for Harbaugh in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

If were going to bring in a coach it should be Mcdaniels. He's young, learned from his mistakes and has a lot to prove. 

I'm all for McDaniels. He's had to learn some things from Belichick on how to run a no nonsense organization and I think he could immediately gain Luck's trust from his success and time spent with Brady. 

7 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Glad you are amused. Most people who know anything about football would trade our head coach and gm for Harbaugh in a heartbeat.

Sorry, most people who know anything about football knows Harbaugh is a college coach.

He don't play well with others.

12 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I'm all for McDaniels. He's had to learn some things from Belichick on how to run a no nonsense organization and I think he could immediately gain Luck's trust from his success and time spent with Brady. 

He didn't exactly run a "no nonsense" team when he left NE to be a HC the first time, why should we expect it this time?? 

Not arguing it or Anything, just interested in your rationale.  

I would really love for Belichick to be the next colts' coach too, but let's be realistic.

HC: Matt Patricia. ( hell, I don't know why.  At least he's smart)

OC: Mike McCoy

DC: Eric Mangini, Vic Fangio, Mike Pettine

34 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

He didn't exactly run a "no nonsense" team when he left NE to be a HC the first time, why should we expect it this time?? 

Not arguing it or Anything, just interested in your rationale.  

Actually he tried to run a no nonsense team. He benched the prima donna Brandon Marshall. Tried to trade the perennial choke artist and underachiever Cutler and somehow managed to go 8-8 his first year all while dealing with controversy from those two actions. Even beat the Patriots his first time going against them. Something Chuck still hasn't managed to do. Granted his next season was a disaster but that was his first shot at coaching.  He's was still young then and still had a lot to learn. Bill Belichick seems to value is contributions. Even seemed to be grooming him. Gave him a 5 page letter on how to coach and run an organization. He's not those older coaches from Bill's staff that may have learned from him but still probably had their own philosophies. I'd rather  get a young guy groomed by BB who has a winning pedigree and may actually be able to emulate his process.  He's been there for all of NE's Super Bowls. Was there when they blew up the record books with Moss. I think if he came in and gave us a more disciplined culture like in NE we could steal their future thunder.  Many consider BB the greatest coach of all time. Why wouldn't you want to bring in the young guy that he sees great things in and probably views as his successor?  I say give him a shot. 

Found a damn good article on McDaniels.  Worth a read. Had no idea he went to Tony Dungy for advice after his first failure in Denver. After reading this article, I think he's gonna be a very successful coach the next time he gets a chance at it. I hope we pick him up before someone else does. The link to the article is below. 

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVx_mUfRXQNwAUtrBGOd_;_ylu=X3oDMTBydWNmY2MwBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1475658343/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fbleacherreport.com%2farticles%2f2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots/RK=0/RS=w6XMHIig9klcI6XHKOAyT.g_T04-

Don't want anyone fired until the end of the season, but some guys I'd like to see maybe try to run this team in the future.

HC: Josh McDaniels

GM: Duke Tobin (current Director of Player Personnel for Bengals)

I think Josh McDaniels is one of the brightest offensive minds in the game, and would make for an excellent coach if he can put his past experiences in Denver behind him. And Cincy has been in the top of the league in terms of talent recently, and Tobin played a large part in it. Those two could maybe make it work.

My dream choice would be Sean Payton, but I figured if the Colts wanted him, their only chance was last season.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

All this talk of hiring a new head coach is all nonsense at this point. IMO Irsay is not going to hire a new head coach anytime soon.

If you don't like threads about failure this year and what might be done next year, maybe you'd like to start one to discuss our likely playoff opponents for this year. 

I don't think Harbs is going anywhere too soon.  This is only year 2 and he generally has a 4-5 year window before he pisses off front office personnel enough to can him.  Would he be an upgrade?  I think so.  But don't see it happnin.  Nice name BTW.

4 minutes ago, azcolt said:

If you don't like threads about failure this year and what might be done next year, maybe you'd like to start one to discuss our likely playoff opponents for this year. 

If you don't like that I have patience and choose to wait and see how this is going to turn out it makes no difference what I, you or anyone else likes.

I stay away from starting threads that has no bearing on the reality of today, not what some say in this forum. If you choose to be upset or mad about what is going on that's on you.

I choose not to let it get to me because it makes no difference what I think about it.

Too many fans using hindsight and opinions to make it the issue of the day for me.

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you don't like that I have patience and choose to wait and see how this is going to turn out it makes no difference what I, you or anyone else likes.

I stay away from starting threads that has no bearing on the reality of today, not what some say in this forum. If you choose to be upset or mad about what is going on that's on you.

I choose not to let it get to me because it makes no difference what I think about it.

Too many fans using hindsight and opinions to make it the issue of the day for me.

Why do people post in threads they aren't interested in? 

12 hours ago, azcolt said:

Why do you think Harbaugh would be a good GM?

What has he done to tell you that?       I'm curious to know........