Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck, I see potential, but I just don't know

YourNextGM

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to years of being hammered, Andrew Luck now plays in panic mode most of the time.  For example, many of his batted balls were the result of "crouching" (trying to avoid being seen?) as he delivers the throw. It's understandable why he's developed these bad habits (there are more). The question is: Can these ever be corrected?

Just now, CoachLite said:

Due to years of being hammered, Andrew Luck now plays in panic mode most of the time.  For example, many of his batted balls were the result of "crouching" (trying to avoid being seen?) as he delivers the throw. It's understandable why he's developed these bad habits (there are more). The question is: Can these ever be corrected?

I've noticed that as well.  Good point.

Remember Manning early in his career with the happy feet?  Kind of reminds me of that.  

The thing I don't get about Luck is, he was supposed to be the second coming of Manning when it comes to football IQ, and I don't see it.  Last week not running time off the clock after the review for example. He also tends to make the same mistakes over and over and over.   And his seemingly inability to audible...really at all.  Very seldom do we so see him do it, which is very very odd to me.  

Steps to improve your viewing experience whilst on this site:

Step 1: If using a computer with a mouse, hover the mouse over the offending users name. A window should pop up. 

Step 2: Select ignore this user. 

Step 3: Enjoy!

If using a mobile device, tap on the three line settings tab, and select Accounts. From there you will see: "ignored users". Put the username on the list.

If you want to test it out, go ahead and ignore me! 

How many guys can argue are better than AL?  I can only name 7 guys that you could argue.

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Roethlisberger

Newton

Wilson

Palmer

I personally like him better than Brees,Wilson, Palmer, and Newton, but I can see how someone could argue the other way.  So if we look at worse, the guy is the 8th best QB in the league. He is still young, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Palmer hadn't peaked at this point in their career, and his physical tools are better than the lot of them sans Cam Newton.  

Look at the roster, and although most here rate the WR corps very high, I think they are above average but not spectacular.  Ty Hilton is very good,  the outside guys are good but they are low end WR1-midWR2 guys.  They RB situation is mediocre, the TE situation the same. O-line I think has been solid this year, but during his career they were pretty sub par.  You think if these guys were on a team with an average QB, you would even know their names? (other than TY)  seriously,  Luck makes these guys look better.  Imagine if the colts had a real High end WR1 (Bryant, Thomas, Marshall, Brown, Green, Jones, Hopkins, ODB, Jeffrey, Nelson, Watkins, Evans) and TY and a solid run game or if they had an O-line comparable to the cowboys.  They would have the best O in the league.

This is madness, the best thing about the team is AL, yet pointing at him and saying well he should be damn near perfect, if he was we would be winning is crazy.  Its like in the NBA when a team loses and people blame it on the star player even when he plays well, yeah if he was michael jordan they would have won, but if those other guys were just slightly better than adequate they would have won as well.  I know AL is the focal point of the team, but blaming him for its state is crazy when so many other aspects of this team leave much to be desired.  

Luck has to start running more. Too many times against the Broncos I've seen him stare down WR's and stand in the pocket like a statue. He doesn't move his feet enough in the pocket like Peyton did.

The Broncos rarely did QB spy he has to take off when WR's aren't open. Everyone saw Von coming off the edge but Luck eyes was staring at the left side of the field. He has to fix this to avoid those fumbles. 

41 minutes ago, jradMT said:

How many guys can argue are better than AL?  I can only name 7 guys that you could argue.

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Roethlisberger

Newton

Wilson

Palmer

I personally like him better than Brees,Wilson, Palmer, and Newton, but I can see how someone could argue the other way.  So if we look at worse, the guy is the 8th best QB in the league. He is still young, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Palmer hadn't peaked at this point in their career, and his physical tools are better than the lot of them sans Cam Newton.  

Look at the roster, and although most here rate the WR corps very high, I think they are above average but not spectacular.  Ty Hilton is very good,  the outside guys are good but they are low end WR1-midWR2 guys.  They RB situation is mediocre, the TE situation the same. O-line I think has been solid this year, but during his career they were pretty sub par.  You think if these guys were on a team with an average QB, you would even know their names? (other than TY)  seriously,  Luck makes these guys look better.  Imagine if the colts had a real High end WR1 (Bryant, Thomas, Marshall, Brown, Green, Jones, Hopkins, ODB, Jeffrey, Nelson, Watkins, Evans) and TY and a solid run game or if they had an O-line comparable to the cowboys.  They would have the best O in the league.

This is madness, the best thing about the team is AL, yet pointing at him and saying well he should be damn near perfect, if he was we would be winning is crazy.  Its like in the NBA when a team loses and people blame it on the star player even when he plays well, yeah if he was michael jordan they would have won, but if those other guys were just slightly better than adequate they would have won as well.  I know AL is the focal point of the team, but blaming him for its state is crazy when so many other aspects of this team leave much to be desired.  

Eli can be on that list. A case could be made for possibly adding Stafford, Flakko.

And then there are a bunch of very young QB's who if they continue to progress (Winston,Carr,Mariota,Bortells) AND IF Luck's game stays the same he could easily be out of top 10.

Flacco isn't even in the conversation IMO, he's a game manager, who had one good 4 game run to the title.   Eli has physical tools but put into perspective, ELI never had a passer rating higher than 93.6 and routinely in the high 80's and even as low as 70.  Luck's 2014 is better than any year Eli has ever had as a pro. AL makes way more plays with his feet.  Stafford is underrated IMO at least last season he was, but he had a very mediocre bad run there for 3 years.  He might be in the conversation if he can repeat what he did last year, I still  think AL can make more plays with his feet though which separates him.  Blake Bortles is laugable.  He is over hyped because of his great Fantasy Football game.  Look at it closer,  BB is 0-17 when he throws for 300 yards or more, he has a whopping 3 first quarter TD's in his career, a garbage time stat guy.   Too early for those other guys (Winton, Mariota, Carr), although only Mariota can ever be able to make plays with his feet like Luck, and he has already shown that if he does he's gonna get hurt.

14 hours ago, jradMT said:

Good god what a bunch of ingrates!  As a Texan fan, I would give my left nut to have AL as my qb.  Good grief, they were in a position to drive the field and win the game, who's to say that wouldn't have happened if Miller doesn't make an amazing play.  Yeah the pick 6 was bad, but it was more of an amazing play than a brain fart by Luck.  You guys are sitting here p!ssing and moaning, and have no idea what an actual mediocre who can't win without a top ten D look like.  Do the Colts have a top ten D?  No, and they could have won today if they score a TD on that drive.  Arm strength are you guys kidding me?  Reading defenses are you kidding me too? Yes he holds the ball too long at times, and he takes chances, but the INT's are not because he isn't reading the D or going through his progressions, its because he is a risk taker and a gunslinger type, he definitely is not confused.  Good lord, I swear bring up all the bad, and the pick 6.   But what about all those rushers he evaded left and right in the second half, he was pulling hoodinis left and right out there for a couple of those drives.  And as bad as the pick was what about the 3 and 20 run he had?????   No one is talking about that.  you guys don't know what you have in him, he is damn good, way better than Eli ever was.  No he isn't Brady or Rodgers, but who is??  He is damn good probably top 5 in the league, and all these posters are whining left and right about this or that, it amazes me, seriously how spoiled some are.

We have some fans here that are spoiled. It will not always be peaches and cream. It isn't this season so far. It is what it is. We have had so many Very Good seasons with Peyton and 3 Very Good seasons with Luck and the 1 Great one with Peyton when we won the SB. So if we have a bad season or 2 I can live with it and I am one of the most diehard Colts fans you will find. I get upset when we lose but this team has won so much over the last 15 years it's a lot easier to cope with a bad season or 2. At least it is for me. I still think we are in great hands with Luck as our QB moving forward. He almost always gives us a chance to win, even yesterday we had a chance. Von Miller just made a great play like he has vs the Brady's and the Cam's. Great Post by the way.

22 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Denver has a great defense but I do think at times the media seem to overhype him. He will never be Rodgers, Brady, or Peyton because of the turnovers. I said this two years ago but Luck is very similar to Farve. He's a gunslinger that will continue to make risky throws. 

I think Luck is finally starting to learn. The first game showed that. But against a dominant Super Bowl Denver D, almost any QB will have a tough time. Luck takes calculated risks out of necessity. Everyone's making such a big deal out of the interception. But just one interception against the Denver D is not exactly an indictment of Luck, as much as it is a testament to the defensive play-maker who made a play on the pass.

I see potential in Aaron Rodgers too but I don't know. Only 213 yards one touchdown and an interception against the Vikings. He can't beat a team with a quarterback they have had for one week and no AP for a good portion of the game.

Don't know about Cam either. He played like trash against the Broncos.

You guys are ridiculous.

On September 18, 2016 at 6:54 PM, SteelCityColt said:

Shocker I know, but the contract amounts given out don't correlate just to your current ability. It's a market and as such other forces are in action.

Ask the question another way... if he was a FA, how much do you think he'd get paid?

Thank you for pointing out SCC that the size of a player's new contract isn't always a byproduct of talent alone but what the current market dictates at any given moment. Three Flight, the person you were replying to doesn't seem to grasp this crucial point. Luck doesn't get to dictate to ownership what his annual salary will be. The market & playoff wins determine that. 

On September 18, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Hi-Tek said:

He's a turnover machine

Skip Bayless is that you? haha Today on Undisputed with Shannon Sharpe, Skip basically went on a rant again about how Andrew is overrated & how he always gets a pass on turnovers, bad throws, & bad decision making again. That is until Sharpe finally got him to admit that our GM Grigson sucks, has given him no 1,000 yrd rusher since 2012, & Luck must take risks since INDY has no Championship Defense like Denver or the Legion Of Boom to help him out. 

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh Good God, I should've went fishing and got drunk way out in the country at some lake like I planned.

I know man. This doom & gloom crowd in some circles is enough to make anybody drink. Jesus. 

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know that is what people cant get through their head for some reason that Post stuff like this. He wont even be the highest paid player in a couple of years as the Salary Cap increases. He is young and Very Good with Great potential. You need a franchise QB to even have a chance to win SB's in the NFL. He could've even ask for more money and got it probably but didn't is what is really funny. It's not like he is 35 years old or even 30 for that matter. I have absolutely zero problem with Luck's contract. He needs more help plainly put.  If we didn't have Luck we would have very little upside for the future. With a franchise QB we at least can focus on building the Defense in next years Draft and maybe landing a decent Free Agent because the QB spot is solid. I thought our O.Line played pretty well today until the end when Von got to Luck. For the most part Luck had time to throw. Denver has the best D in the league so it wasn't that bad.

Thank you. The voice of reason right there. I thought INDY played a decent game until the Von Miller sack fumble which sealed the game's outcome. Talib's pick 6 didn't even bother me that much. The dude is an elite DB. It happens. I did laugh when Jim Nance said "The Broncos get flagged for too many men on the field & INDY can't keep enough men on the field [given our CB injuries]." It was pretty accurate & darn funny. You have to admit that was a poetic statement. 

I hope our next draft is all defensive guys period. No more WRs Ryan please. 

Luck starting to get Happy Feet because his O-line fails him miserably.  I firmly believe it has to do with holding these behemoths in the O-Line accountable.  We don't have that, coaching aggressively is non existent.. Need a coach that'll get into their faces, get their adrenaline pumping.  Maybe you could win a game or two....

16 hours ago, Mile High Mike said:

Don't turn on your QB guys. Come on now, I would trade any QB on the Denver roster including any Defensive player not named Von Miller and all (yes, all) of our draft picks for Andrew Luck. 

You have a solid QB right there. Luck had no control over who's decision it was to single cover Von Miller. Luck has no control over Indianapolis's inability to run the ball this week. Then coupled with the injuries, I'm surprised the kid didn't flat give up. Your boy has a dog in him. He's a fighter. 

Luck in fact reminds me a lot of his next week's opponent Phillip Rivers. Great leader, all the tools, sharp and cunning. Yet let down by the guys around him year in and out. The only difference is I hate San Diego, and Luck is still a young colt. Don't turn your back on this kid, no matter how many games you lose this season. He is a heck of a QB.

It may honestly be a long time before Denver gets anything close to the potential Andrew Luck gives you. Nothing is a sure thing with our QB's, Andrew is a different story. He's a sure thing if he stays healthy.

I really appreciate everything you said here Mile High Mike especially as an AFC rival. Thank you. As you know, some fans are more patient than others around here. I love Luck because he owns any picks he throws saying "I need to play better." But, we all know without a running game you have to sling it & if turnovers happen our D isn't good enough to overcome that. We just aren't. I love me some Chewbacca & I will never throw Luck under the bus because I know what our weaknesses are that Luck has no control over. I'm just glad Talib didn't poke our TE in the eye this time. 

22 hours ago, BOTT said:

Boy, Aaron Rodgers is struggling against the Vikings.  He ain't never goin' be no Paytin'

I know BOTT "Discount Double Check" played like crap last night. Zimmer's defense always rattles him. It just does. His throws were way off--a lot of overthrows last night & he relied too heavily on Jordy Nelson not spreading the ball around enough. 

Sam Bradford actually looked respectable last night. I can't believe it either. I was shocked hades even dumbfounded man. I felt horrible for AP though. 

1 hour ago, gacoop1 said:

Let's get a bundle of draft picks for Luck.  We're not going anywhere anyway with Pags/Grigs at the helm. They've totally dismantle this team to mediocrity and average at best....

So what do we do then?????  Put an orange traffic cone out there behind Kelly !!!  To do that would be THE dumbest decision ever !!!

14 hours ago, jradMT said:

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Roethlisberger

Newton

Wilson

Palmer

Stop making so much sense!

On 9/19/2016 at 8:26 AM, threeflight said:

I've noticed that as well.  Good point.

Remember Manning early in his career with the happy feet?  Kind of reminds me of that.  

The thing I don't get about Luck is, he was supposed to be the second coming of Manning when it comes to football IQ, and I don't see it.  Last week not running time off the clock after the review for example. He also tends to make the same mistakes over and over and over.   And his seemingly inability to audible...really at all.  Very seldom do we so see him do it, which is very very odd to me.  

I think the problem - both for Manning and Luck - was (is) lack of trust in the O-line. Trust is hard won and easily lost. Unfortunately, I don't see the conditions to build trust happening for a long, long time.

there were times Luck had Brady time in the pocket the last couple games....it really wasn't until the last few minutes did Denver pin their ears back and go after him. This O line is leaps and bounds already better than anything Luck has had and they're just going to get better as the year goes on. Still got some work to do run blocking but they're already a much better short yardage team than last year.

On 9/19/2016 at 9:03 PM, gacoop1 said:

Let's get a bundle of draft picks for Luck.  We're not going anywhere anyway with Pags/Grigs at the helm. They've totally dismantle this team to mediocrity and average at best....

:spit: 

Great idea trade him to Denver for there defense & start Tolzein ,,

Watch out folks genius at work .

On September 19, 2016 at 9:22 AM, jradMT said:

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Roethlisberger

Newton

Wilson

Palmer

I'm definitey biased but I think Rivers is definitely above Palmer & Wilson. I'd take Luck over Palmer.

1 hour ago, Anonymous said:

I'm definitey biased but I think Rivers is definitely above Palmer & Wilson. I'd take Luck over Palmer.

dont like Rivers per simply cause he is a worry to play against, but he is probably the most underatted QB by all the media

still Luck is a no brainier to keep and not blame

Pagano came on telling us he will build a monster, he will dominate both OL & DL & force our will on others

what ever happened to that game plan

On 9/19/2016 at 9:31 PM, southwest1 said:

I really appreciate everything you said here Mile High Mike especially as an AFC rival. Thank you. As you know, some fans are more patient than others around here. I love Luck because he owns any picks he throws saying "I need to play better." But, we all know without a running game you have to sling it & if turnovers happen our D isn't good enough to overcome that. We just aren't. I love me some Chewbacca & I will never throw Luck under the bus because I know what our weaknesses are that Luck has no control over. I'm just glad Talib didn't poke our TE in the eye this time. 

AGREED

On 9/19/2016 at 6:13 PM, Bluefire4 said:

I see potential in Aaron Rodgers too but I don't know. Only 213 yards one touchdown and an interception against the Vikings. He can't beat a team with a quarterback they have had for one week and no AP for a good portion of the game.

Don't know about Cam either. He played like trash against the Broncos.

You guys are ridiculous.

Aaron Rodgers is far more proven than Luck, who was crowned way too early. 

On 9/19/2016 at 10:26 AM, threeflight said:

See, that's the thing. People need to stop buying into what they heard or read about Luck before he was drafted. Instead look at his career so far, both the good, and the bad.

He's a good player but has ways to go to be a great one. Until he is more consistent, and turns the ball over less he will never be considered one of the best in the league. These excuses are exhausting. Not to say everything is Luck's fault, but people need to face reality when it comes to him. Even if he does well next week, he'll be a question mark until he can prove he can do it week in week out.

1 hour ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

Aaron Rodgers is far more proven than Luck, who was crowned way too early. 

He's doing just as good as anyone through their first few years in the league. If Luck is not proven through 4 years than Manning wasn't proven through 4 years as he had no playoff wins and more turnovers.

The problem is not Luck, it's Grigson and Pagano and their inability to surround Luck with a cast that would take him to the next level.

The guy is always playing from behind and behind a shaky offensive line and a non existent running game. If Bruce Arians was our coach and if Grigson was fired years ago, we would probably have a SB team right about now.

The dumbest decision Irsay ever made was letting B.A. Walk...