Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why So Many Injuries? [Merge]

cmgww

Didn't we hire Darren Krein after last season as S/C coach? Pretty well regarded throughout the league...won S/C Coach of the Year in 2013. Also revamped the entire staff from what I remember.

So why so many injuries, again?? I know every team has issues but we again seem to be hurting more than most. I would have thought with a new approach to S/C and new techniques this could be minimized. 

I think turf has something to do with it. The facility at West 56th is turf, at least inside. There is growing evidence that even the new style turf is causing more injuries.....

I'm just at a loss. Big Joe always harps on the lack of contact with the new CBA, and how players need to hit more (not going to happen these days)...

Are we just that unlucky? And before I hear "all teams have injuries", I get that. But we seem to be worse than most, year in and year out. And apparently revamping the S/C staff hasn't helped.

Some teams have adopted some really unique things to help avoid injuries (i.e. yoga, weird stretching, etc.)...

I guess it probably boils down to bad luck. Bc you can't blame the s/c staff anymore...the old ones are gone, replaced by a new regime which I had read was going to become a lot more modern in this area. There was a piece on some of the changes....don't have times to find it, but it's out there 

1 hour ago, cmgww said:

Didn't we hire Darren Krein after last season as S/C coach? Pretty well regarded throughout the league...won S/C Coach of the Year in 2013. Also revamped the entire staff from what I remember.

So why so many injuries, again?? I know every team has issues but we again seem to be hurting more than most. I would have thought with a new approach to S/C and new techniques this could be minimized.

I think turf has something to do with it. The facility at West 56th is turf, at least inside. There is growing evidence that even the new style turf is causing more injuries.....

I'm just at a loss. Big Joe always harps on the lack of contact with the new CBA, and how players need to hit more (not going to happen these days)...

Are we just that unlucky? And before I hear "all teams have injuries", I get that. But we seem to be worse than most, year in and year out. And apparently revamping the S/C staff hasn't helped.

This...I have been saying for the last few years that I believe the Turf we use is hard on the players. I have even heard players and sports analysis's talk about how bad our field is (running/injury wise) on the radio several times. They say the cleats stick almost to well which is good for the skill positions but really bad for the OL & DL. Because with their cleats planted in the turf something's got to give when being pushed and fell on by 300+ lb guys. Unfortunately for our linemen it is their ligaments/bones that do the giving.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/2013-adjusted-games-lost

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/2015-adjusted-games-lost

In 2012, the teams that have lost the most games due to injury were the Packers, Jaguars, Colts, Redskins, and Cowboys.

In 2013, the teams that have lost the most games due to injury were the Giants, Colts, Packers, Patriots, and Chargers.

In 2014, the teams that have lost the most games due to injury were the Giants, Chargers, Colts, Raiders, and 49ers.

In 2015, it was the Giants, Redskins, Ravens, Patriots, and Bears.  San Diego and San Fran were #6 and 7, but the Raiders and Colts weren't hit that badly with injuries last year, if you go off those numbers.

In 3 of the last 4 years, we've been bottom 3 in the league in terms of games lost to injury.  Perhaps there is something going on in Indy with the turf or something.  The Chargers are getting hit pretty bad each year too.

Obviously that list is made based upon quantity of players and not quality. Otherwise we would have made the list in 2015.

With that being said, Lucks injury wasn't related to turf anyways, so the quantity approach is probably appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the physical nature of the game and that other teams have injuries as well but it just seems like the Colts have an inordinate amount of injuries every year and this year in particular. So my question is, why do you think the Colts have so many injuries? Is it the training staff? Is it the lack of contact that goes on at practice? Interested to hear your thoughts.

P.S. I'm sure there has been a thread on this before.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It's the million dollar question,. It's gone on through three coaching staffs now and two stadiums.  For whatever reason the Colts are snake bit in that department.

Grigson needs to ask that guy retained from the Chip Kelly era with the Eagles, if he has references for other colleagues that follow a similar conditioning plan. Shaun Huls is his name:

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/coaches/shaun-huls/bd2eb7e4-47ce-48a8-b13c-72f90ec57894

3 hours ago, Restored said:

I understand the physical nature of the game and that other teams have injuries as well but it just seems like the Colts have an inordinate amount of injuries every year and this year in particular. So my question is, why do you think the Colts have so many injuries? Is it the training staff? Is it the lack of contact that goes on at practice? Interested to hear your thoughts.

P.S. I'm sure there has been a thread on this before.

I really do think it has to do with the facilities.  It might be the turf or something, I don't know.  But the Colts are consistently one of the most injured teams in the league (see my post above), and that can't be a coincidence

15 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I really do think it has to do with the facilities.  It might be the turf or something, I don't know.  But the Colts are consistently one of the most injured teams in the league (see my post above), and that can't be a coincidence

It has to be the turf or something like that because these players are getting hurt in practice when there is limited to no contact.

18 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I am beginning to think that too. Especially with an entirely new Strength and Conditioning staff that promised new techniques and activities to minimize injuries....The "new" turf isn't all its cracked up to be from what I've read, not just in football. Soccer has lost some big stars to players catching cleats in field turf. Also in all levels of football...it's just not the same as grass. It is "too grippy" for lack of a better term. Add in the fact the Colts turf is 9-10 years old (I believe it came over from the RCA dome)...the organization should at least look at the newest options out there.

Semi-OT, but just saw Brandon Marshall of the Jets go down with a pretty nasty knee injury....got taken down from up high and his knee buckled. Cleats on the left foot got stuck in the....guess what, artificial turf. Same thing may have happened in natural grass, but maybe not. It's anecdotal, but it points to what I've been saying about the new turf being to "grippy"; maybe a new cleat that doesn't grab so much would be a solution....or a newer turf. Bc we know turf is not going away. I remember on the old stuff the players used to wear cleats that were almost like basketball shoes, just little tiny nubs on them.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I for one am tired of all he injuries the Colts seem to sustain year in and year out. This year even more so. Is that a sign of bad conditioning/stretching technique or maybe another reason? 

More likely than not bad conditioning. 

12 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

It pains me to watch this team on Sunday's, because without a doubt in my mind we would be 2-0 if our entire defense was healthy.

I don't really see an end in sight for this defense until maybe week 5 at the earliest.

The d did not cause 14 points in turnovers from luck.