Roster moves - signed Akeem Ayers, released Neiko Thorpe [Merge]

SilentHill

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I wanted to keep Thorpe.  I had been thinking earlier over the weekend that we might take a look at Akeem Ayers. Looks like I was right.

Dropping a corner probably means that health is getting better at the position, either that or we need the pass rush that bad.

2 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Stop cutting positions of need and cut Ferguson already.

Why? Because he didn't perform to in the preseason? Watch his college tape and look at the reports from training camp. He has been really good, and his abilities are obvious. Have some patience. He is a rookie. For various reasons some players, especially rookies, require a but more time before they perform to the best of their ability in games. The context (i.e. bad o-line, playing against opposition's best defense, etc.) also doesn't do him any good. I expect much better from Ferguson as he gains more experience and our overall offense gets better.

9 minutes ago, James said:

Why? Because he didn't perform to in the preseason? Watch his college tape and look at the reports from training camp. He has been really good, and his abilities are obvious. Have some patience. He is a rookie. For various reasons some players, especially rookies, require a but more time before they perform to the best of their ability in games. The context (i.e. bad o-line, playing against opposition's best defense, etc.) also doesn't do him any good. I expect much better from Ferguson as he gains more experience and our overall offense gets better.

this forum hates running backs

6 minutes ago, James said:

The college tape that helped him go undrafted? He showed nothing but good hands in the preseason games. But, if he does have this great potential, as you say, there's a place for players like him -- it's called the practice squad.

Solid rush linebacker who can play some Sam as well but I prefer him coming forward 99% of the time. Got stuck the Rams who are not a scheme fit. He had 4 sacks in 9 games with NE in 2014 in a rotational role. He can get after the QB a bit. I think he is a better pass rusher than Walden to

1 minute ago, ColtsLegacy said:

The college tape that helped him go undrafted? He showed nothing but good hands in the preseason games. But, if he does have this great potential, as you say, there's a place for players like him -- it's called the practice squad.

Plenty of talented players go undrafted. And why are you ignoring the points I made? Have you seen his tape? It's very good. Have you seen the reports from training camp? They are very good. Why should Ferguson be cut from the practice squad if they feel he, despite being a rookie, can provide something valuable to the team this season? Because he as a rookie didn't meet your expectations in some preseason games against high quality and experienced starters in which our whole offense, especially the offensive line, made a ton of mistakes? This obsession with instant gratification is laughable. 

17 minutes ago, James said:

Plenty of talented players go undrafted. And why are you ignoring the points I made? Have you seen his tape? It's very good. Have you seen the reports from training camp? They are very good. Why should Ferguson be cut from the practice squad if they feel he, despite being a rookie, can provide something valuable to the team this season? Because he as a rookie didn't meet your expectations in some preseason games against high quality and experienced starters in which our whole offense, especially the offensive line, made a ton of mistakes? This obsession with instant gratification is laughable. 

Yes. I've seen at least one full game tape of his in college. It looked about average, nothing special.

A RB looking good in practice? Woah. Alert the presses. He didn't look good in the games, where it counts. Much like Duron Carter, the practice all star, who despite being excellent in practice did not make the squad due to poor play in games.

I don't think Ferguson should be cut from the PS. I think he should be cut from the 53. He's our 4th RB and will not see the field offensively outside of an injury in which case he could be brought up from the PS anyway. And, he isn't a key ST so he didn't earn a spot there either. If he's still on the squad week one it's a safe bet he'll inactive.

Why is there an obsession with not liking any player brought in who is not a starter or a pro bowler?

There are only 22 out of 53 starters and having the best possible second tier guys is the key to winning games.

Then there is special teams to consider. We have seen first hand at not having a good special teams play can lose you games.

I am not a GM and don't claim to know better than those who are professional like some think they are.

It's easy to sit behind your PC and say what you would and wouldn't do when in reality most don't have a clue about what being a GM is and what their job actually does.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why is there an obsession with not liking any player brought in who is not a starter or a pro bowler?

There are only 22 out of 53 starters and having the best possible second tier guys is the key to winning games.

Then there is special teams to consider. We have seen first hand at not having a good special teams play can lose you games.

I am not a GM and don't claim to know better than those who are professional like some think they are.

It's easy to sit behind your PC and say what you would and wouldn't do when in reality most don't have a clue about what being a GM is and what their job actually does.

While I agree with this, let me put it into a famous poker saying and translate it to football. You can be the 10th best hold em player in the world, but if you play at a table with the 9 players better than you, you will lose. Now Grigson is better than all of us, but if Grigson is the 32nd best GM in the world and can't outmanage the other 31, he'll never win a sb or do this team any good and just get fired. It's not up to him to be better than us, it's up to him to be better than 31 other GM's.

With Thorpe gone, the Colts enter the week of practice for the Lions with just three healthy cornerbacks ( Antonio Cromartieicon-article-link.gif , Patrick Robinsonicon-article-link.gif and Darryl Morrisicon-article-link.gif ). Robinson returned to practice on Monday after missing some time due to a groin injury.

Vontae Davisicon-article-link.gif (ankle) and Darius Butlericon-article-link.gif (ankle) both missed Monday’s practice. Chuck Pagano said on Monday the Colts were hopeful Butler would practice later this week.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Veteran-Linebacker-Akeem-Ayers-Joins-Colts/ea6a1c34-1019-4e15-bfa0-c3223a3d8a64

Hoping maybe we bring Thorpe back.  Hope we are not hinging all our plans on Butler being healthy.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

With Thorpe gone, the Colts enter the week of practice for the Lions with just three healthy cornerbacks ( Antonio Cromartieicon-article-link.gif , Patrick Robinsonicon-article-link.gif and Darryl Morrisicon-article-link.gif ). Robinson returned to practice on Monday after missing some time due to a groin injury.

Vontae Davisicon-article-link.gif (ankle) and Darius Butlericon-article-link.gif (ankle) both missed Monday’s practice. Chuck Pagano said on Monday the Colts were hopeful Butler would practice later this week.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Veteran-Linebacker-Akeem-Ayers-Joins-Colts/ea6a1c34-1019-4e15-bfa0-c3223a3d8a64

Hoping maybe we bring Thorpe back.  Hope we are not hinging all our plans on Butler being healthy.

Time to let Morris go and bring back Thorpe. Morris will be inactive anyway.  

We need another healthy DB right now a lot more than a developmental player that won't see the field this year.  

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Time to let Morris go and bring back Thorpe. Morris will be inactive anyway.  

We need another healthy DB right now a lot more than a developmental player that won't see the field this year.  

That's what I was thinking!  Dump Morris, bring back Thorpe.  Also dump Farley and bring in Ryan Davis as an additional pass rusher and we look real good.

OLB is a bigger need and a higher priority than CB, even with how banged up the secondary is right now. They got a look at Thorpe, including a couple practices, and decided to move on. I'm fine with that, especially since they decided to keep Morris instead.

Ayers is probably not the answer to all our problems, but he's a decent rotational player with a little bit of pop to him. I'm glad they added him.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

While I agree with this, let me put it into a famous poker saying and translate it to football. You can be the 10th best hold em player in the world, but if you play at a table with the 9 players better than you, you will lose. Now Grigson is better than all of us, but if Grigson is the 32nd best GM in the world and can't outmanage the other 31, he'll never win a sb or do this team any good and just get fired. It's not up to him to be better than us, it's up to him to be better than 31 other GM's.

According to power rankings for GM's .

Hes #24 this year & 10 last year . This season will tell us what he really is .

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-gm-general-manager-rankings-2016-belichick-elway-jerry-jones/1bsasqu0ug3cy1x3e8tr8wazou/slide/24