Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster moves - signed Akeem Ayers, released Neiko Thorpe [Merge]

SilentHill

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who say drop Morris, I'd assume to the practice squad. Why not just released Tolzien if your reasoning is that Morris won't see the field. If luck would by chance go down how long do you think Scott could survive? Plus he is no Hasselbeck, meaning unlikely to be competent enough to win nfl games. Personally one move i was hoping to see before week 1 was to drop turbin and try to sign hillman to a 2 year contract.

12 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Man we have 3,QB's on our roster what are we doing? 

Well we got a pass rusher to pair with Maggitt. We have 5 safeties so I'm thinking we will get rid of Mathias Farley for a DB. Dont think we are getting rid of Ferguson. Listened to Irsays conference and he still thinks highly of Ferguson. I'm really hoping they bring Thorpe back, but my gut tells me they think Butler will play on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Overreacting do to Lucks injury last year when the reality is whether we have 2-3 QB's not many Matt Hasselbecks land in your laps. Most are Curtis Painters

I really don't think so.  If Luck goes down, we'll bring in a vet just like last year.  

My opinion only, but I think they really like Morris and wanted to keep him on the 53 until everyone sets their teams, and so they wouldn't put him on their PS.

But I think now that rosters are set, they'll replace him with someone we can really use and put Morris on our PS.  I don't think anyone is going to put him on their 53.   

4 hours ago, Superman said:

OLB is a bigger need and a higher priority than CB, even with how banged up the secondary is right now. They got a look at Thorpe, including a couple practices, and decided to move on. I'm fine with that, especially since they decided to keep Morris instead.

Ayers is probably not the answer to all our problems, but he's a decent rotational player with a little bit of pop to him. I'm glad they added him.

CB is pretty close IMO  I was excited about Neiko not sure how he isn't better than Butler but hey let's stick with the old injured guy who was toast last year.  We have 3 healthy CB's one coming off a groin those are t easily reaggrevated. 

I like the Ayers signing  I was calling for it but not at the expense of the secondary. Why are we keeping 3 QB's? No one can make tough calls. Yeah we brought Tolzien in to be the back up He got beat out move on. 

Anyone notice our back ups on OL? Maybe we should look there too. We are looking at Harrison starting at LG. The off season focus was on the interior of the OL. The 3 QB thing is driving me crazy 

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I really don't think so.  If Luck goes down, we'll bring in a vet just like last year.  

My opinion only, but I think they really like Morris and wanted to keep him on the 53 until everyone sets their teams, and so they wouldn't put him on their PS.

But I think now that rosters are set, they'll replace him with someone we can really use and put Morris on our PS.  I don't think anyone is going to put him on their 53.   

He isn't PS eligible 

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Well we got a pass rusher to pair with Maggitt. We have 5 safeties so I'm thinking we will get rid of Mathias Farley for a DB. Dont think we are getting rid of Ferguson. Listened to Irsays conference and he still thinks highly of Ferguson. I'm really hoping they bring Thorpe back, but my gut tells me they think Butler will play on Sunday.

How is Butler playing a positive? 

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't have problem with Ferguson I don't think he earned a spot but we ran him up the gut. The kid can do things in space Chud must think he can make that happen.

3 QB's to me is poor roster management.  Thorpe can play he is at the very least better than an older already banged up Butler.

We need help on the OL if Clark or Blythe see the field we are in trouble. Haeg is our swing T back up G???? How did that happen interior. O line was the focus  of the offseason 

6 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I don't have problem with Ferguson I don't think he earned a spot but we ran him up the gut. The kid can do things in space Chud must think he can make that happen.

3 QB's to me is poor roster management.  Thorpe can play he is at the very least better than an older already banged up Butler.

We need help on the OL if Clark or Blythe see the field we are in trouble. Haeg is our swing T back up G???? How did that happen interior. O line was the focus  of the offseason 

I'm assuming Mewhort will be back next week or the following so I'm sure they are looking at that. Harrison may be a better Guard than center so who knows? Haeg I believe will be back this week. Blythe is really the back up center while Harrison plays guard.

13 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Still dont believe we are done making moves. The big thing that i hate is Clark is not ready to be anybodies back up. That puts a nice sized monkey wrench in things.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

According to the depth chart they have him backing up Mathis and Cole at the Rush.

Referring to Ayers. In our scheme, which IMO fits him better than the schemes he's played in thus far in his career. He could end up being better than Cole. I could see Ayers being a big time steal, and putting up some sacks.

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Referring to Ayers. In our scheme, which IMO fits him better than the schemes he's played in thus far in his career. He could end up being better than Cole. I could see Ayers being a big time steal, and putting up some sacks.

I can see Ayers and Maggitt putting up solid production behind Mathis and Cole. Solid group.

Just now, krunk said:

I can see Ayers and Maggitt putting up solid production behind Mathis and Cole. Solid group.

Yeah, Hopefully we'll get a nice surprise out of Maggitt this year. A lot of people don't realize a couple years ago he was considered an early round prospect. Some even said he was possibly a late 1st rounder. Every year almost there's some UDFA that just comes out and balls out. Alan Hurns, Vontaze Burfict, Thomas Rawles, etc. Shaq Barrett was on Denver's PS for a year, before blowing up last year. If that kid was on another team and starting he'd be a double digit sack EDGE rusher. But it happens all the time. Maybe Maggitt will be that guy this year.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Overreacting do to Lucks injury last year when the reality is whether we have 2-3 QB's not many Matt Hasselbecks land in your laps. Most are Curtis Painters

Maybe they r giving Morris time to develop and will drop him or scott when the big guy gomes back from his 4 game suspension. 

I expect either a qb or rb to be dropped when the injury bug settles out.

44 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Maybe they r giving Morris time to develop and will drop him or scott when the big guy gomes back from his 4 game suspension. 

I expect either a qb or rb to be dropped when the injury bug settles out.

I doubt it at this point. They like Tolzien and Morris and Ferguson. I see them doing 1 of 2 things:

1.Cutting Farley to make room for Jones

2.Sending Blythe to PS to make room for Jones and cutting TE Mike Miller loose. Blythe would take up the 10th PS spot in Millers place. Jones would rejoin active roster. Either way I think the purpose of that 3rd QB has more to do with Morris's play and the slew of injuries we suffered at the position last year and the very real possibility it could happen again with Luck at QB unless he has managed to train his brain to take measures to not take unnecessary hits.

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

CB is pretty close IMO  I was excited about Neiko not sure how he isn't better than Butler but hey let's stick with the old injured guy who was toast last year.  We have 3 healthy CB's one coming off a groin those are t easily reaggrevated. 

I like the Ayers signing  I was calling for it but not at the expense of the secondary. Why are we keeping 3 QB's? No one can make tough calls. Yeah we brought Tolzien in to be the back up He got beat out move on. 

Anyone notice our back ups on OL? Maybe we should look there too. We are looking at Harrison starting at LG. The off season focus was on the interior of the OL. The 3 QB thing is driving me crazy 

I'm not sure why everyone was so excited about Thorpe.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not sure why everyone was so excited about Thorpe.

I live in AK so if we some how escape having the Seahawks pushed on us we get one of the California teams. I had seen him play a few times last year he looked pretty good. They left him out in press man. He has good size 6'1 200lbs and he is only 26 yr old.. Throw in that Neiko reminded me of Nico from Velvet Underground I was sold. 

I feel like our CB situation was bad and had been egregiously overlooked in the draft. We have only Davis and Robinson that have a future with the team. Cro is a band aid Butler is on the decline and Brown is at his ceiling.  We didn't have an edge behind Mathis/Cole and OL looked thin. Upgrades appeared available at cuts was my thinking. I would give a 6th for Rowe if that's real. 

The group I had my eye on was out in SF. They grabbed Robinson and Redmond in the draft. I'd hoped we use the extra 4th to give Robinson a shot. I was hearing Dontae Johnson was getting the ax. Garrison Smith who had 15 tackles 2 sacks from NT was going and Rush 6 sacks 2FF and an INT was being cut. I know how bad Rush is vs the run. Plus Chip has been known for doing things differently. They end up keeping 7 CB's and Chip didn't provide the head scratcher. 

4 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I live in AK so if we some how escape having the Seahawks pushed on us we get one of the California teams. I had seen him play a few times last year he looked pretty good. They left him out in press man. He has good size 6'1 200lbs and he is only 26 yr old.. Throw in that Neiko reminded me of Nico from Velvet Underground I was sold. 

I feel like our CB situation was bad and had been egregiously overlooked in the draft. We have only Davis and Robinson that have a future with the team. Cro is a band aid Butler is on the decline and Brown is at his ceiling.  We didn't have an edge behind Mathis/Cole and OL looked thin. Upgrades appeared available at cuts was my thinking. I would give a 6th for Rowe if that's real. 

The group I had my eye on was out in SF. They grabbed Robinson and Redmond in the draft. I'd hoped we use the extra 4th to give Robinson a shot. I was hearing Dontae Johnson was getting the ax. Garrison Smith who had 15 tackles 2 sacks from NT was going and Rush 6 sacks 2FF and an INT was being cut. I know how bad Rush is vs the run. Plus Chip has been known for doing things differently. They end up keeping 7 CB's and Chip didn't provide the head scratcher. 

You do realize we don't have brown anymore right? Also Rowe was traded to New England.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

You do realize we don't have brown anymore right? Also Rowe was traded to New England.

Please don't tell me they got Rowe for a 6th. That figures NE makes that deal. I did not know about NE obviously. That's aggravating. I'm trying to sell my house get out of here before snow flies. It's not very often I don't at least catch ESPN News. 7am here Krunk thanks for getting this day off on the right foot.

I'm going to go look at the deal. Rowe can play. His coverage is sticky he gets in trouble doing college crap face guarding. He'd only played 2 yrs at CB including last yr. I want to see what they do with him. 

I knew Brown was gone. I have alerts on the phone for the Colts. I don't know what Butler brings. He was awful in the slot last year still looks a step slow. He has always been a dumpster fire outside. 

10 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Please don't tell me they got Rowe for a 6th. That figures NE makes that deal. I did not know about NE obviously. That's aggravating. I'm trying to sell my house get out of here before snow flies. It's not very often I don't at least catch ESPN News. 7am here Krunk thanks for getting this day off on the right foot.

I'm going to go look at the deal. Rowe can play. His coverage is sticky he gets in trouble doing college crap face guarding. He'd only played 2 yrs at CB including last yr. I want to see what they do with him. 

I knew Brown was gone. I have alerts on the phone for the Colts. I don't know what Butler brings. He was awful in the slot last year still looks a step slow. He has always been a dumpster fire outside. 

No I think it was a 4th rounder

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

No I think it was a 4th rounder

2018 4th conditional 3rd. G-Kline was part of the deal Philly didn't take him. NE dropped him. He's played both G spots was listed as a back up C this year too. 

We might want to take a look. Our back up OL consists of Haeg I think he's probably going anywhere but C. Harrison who could start at LG if Mewhort doesn't go and Haeg's  out.  Then Blythe I'm not sure what he does Harrison should be the back up C Blythe had trouble vs odd fronts w/big boys at Iowa no way he's strong enough for G Then our 3rd round pick Clark can't imagine anyone thinks he is ready.

The focus on the interior OL. 1st rounder on Kelly move Good to RG Mewhort LG 

Turn or average C into a back up G and our rookie swing T is also a back up G. Not inspiring. I don't know how we use 4 picks and the line looks that thin 

3 minutes ago, akcolt said:

2018 4th conditional 3rd. G-Kline was part of the deal Philly didn't take him. NE dropped him. He's played both G spots was listed as a back up C this year too. 

We might want to take a look. Our back up OL consists of Haeg I think he's probably going anywhere but C. Harrison who could start at LG if Mewhort doesn't go and Haeg's  out.  Then Blythe I'm not sure what he does Harrison should be the back up C Blythe had trouble vs odd fronts w/big boys at Iowa no way he's strong enough for G Then our 3rd round pick Clark can't imagine anyone thinks he is ready.

The focus on the interior OL. 1st rounder on Kelly move Good to RG Mewhort LG 

Turn or average C into a back up G and our rookie swing T is also a back up G. Not inspiring. I don't know how we use 4 picks and the line looks that thin 

2 of the 4 are not really ready, and the other one is coming back from injury so that makes 3 out of 4 not really available.   Maybe Haeg plays this week.  I also posted about possibly looking into Kline.  He's played a lot of snaps, but of course wouldn't be able to do much this week.   I'm assuming we'll be cutting Farley soon to make room for another player, but that might not be until 2 weeks from now since Geathers is not back all the way yet.  We might end up making another move.  I'm just going to watch and see how everything looks in the game.  Philbin has taken a TE before in college and converted him into a starting caliber O lineman at Iowa so they must see something with Harrison and Blythe.  We'll find out.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

2 of the 4 are not really ready, and the other one is coming back from injury so that makes 3 out of 4 not really available.   Maybe Haeg plays this week.  I also posted about possibly looking into Kline.  He's played a lot of snaps, but of course wouldn't be able to do much this week.   I'm assuming we'll be cutting Farley soon, but that might not be until 2 weeks from now since Geathers is not back all the way yet.

I read Haeg was practicing today.  I like him at T best, heck Harrison could be our best G These guys are playing with fire. 

2 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I read Haeg was practicing today.  I like him at T best, heck Harrison could be our best G These guys are playing with fire. 

Be patient, I'm sure they have something on their minds.   They brought in the pass rusher like we were expecting.  I'm sure something else is in the works for the line.