Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster moves - signed Akeem Ayers, released Neiko Thorpe [Merge]

SilentHill

42 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I read Haeg was practicing today.  I like him at T best, heck Harrison could be our best G These guys are playing with fire. 

Looking at how late in the week it is, my gut is telling me they'll probably call up one of the practice squad OL like Adam Redmond unless they can find somebody else on the street who knows this offense.  I think the former will probably happen before the latter.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ayers was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2011 draft, and had a mid first round projection. Now that he's in the right scheme we'll see what he's got.

Analysis

Strengths

Ayers is tall with a thick muscular build. Possesses the speed to make plays from sideline-to-sideline. Very capable edge rusher that shows good bend and a closing burst. Very athletic kid that has the ball skills to make interceptions and flashes playmaking abilities. Delivers violent shots tackling and uses his length to make plays even when he is out of position.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/akeem-ayers?id=2495491

5 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I have to admit he is versatile. He is bad at 2 positions. Its sad Chuck does not know what versatile really means

All Chuck said was that Harrison was versatile in that he could play multiple positions.  He didn't say Harrison played those positions well.  :P

He complimented his player without really complimenting him.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

2 of the 4 are not really ready, and the other one is coming back from injury so that makes 3 out of 4 not really available.   Maybe Haeg plays this week.  I also posted about possibly looking into Kline.  He's played a lot of snaps, but of course wouldn't be able to do much this week.   I'm assuming we'll be cutting Farley soon to make room for another player, but that might not be until 2 weeks from now since Geathers is not back all the way yet.  We might end up making another move.  I'm just going to watch and see how everything looks in the game.  Philbin has taken a TE before in college and converted him into a starting caliber O lineman at Iowa so they must see something with Harrison and Blythe.  We'll find out.

I think I've seen you mention Farley being cut about 10 times now. I don't think that's going to happen for a few reasons. Firstly, Farley is apparently a ST stud. Secondly, he's not just a safety. I've read that's he's a very capable nickel back as well (which we need!). Thirdly, if any safety is getting cut it's likely to be Guy. He's just a "guy" (pun intended). And, finally, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are rules set in place to keep teams from claiming players off the waiver wire and then cutting them. Don't they have to be on the active roster for at least 3 weeks?

7 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I think I've seen you mention Farley being cut about 10 times now. I don't think that's going to happen for a few reasons. Firstly, Farley is apparently a ST stud. Secondly, he's not just a safety. I've read that's he's a very capable nickel back as well (which we need!). Thirdly, if any safety is getting cut it's likely to be Guy. He's just a "guy" (pun intended). And finally, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are rules set in place to keep teams from claiming players off the waiver wire and then cutting them. Don't they have to be on the active roster for at least 3 weeks?

That's the rule for if you sign someone off another team's practice squad.  I don't think there are any such rules for waiver claims.  Neiko Thorp was also claimed off waivers but cut 2 days later.

4 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

That's the rule for if you sign someone off another team's practice squad.  I don't think there are any such rules for waiver claims.  Neiko Thorp was also claimed off waivers but cut 2 days later.

Ok, I thought Thorpe was not subject to waivers.

Either way, I still don't see Farley as being a likely cut at the moment.

24 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I think I've seen you mention Farley being cut about 10 times now. I don't think that's going to happen for a few reasons. Firstly, Farley is apparently a ST stud. Secondly, he's not just a safety. I've read that's he's a very capable nickel back as well (which we need!). Thirdly, if any safety is getting cut it's likely to be Guy. He's just a "guy" (pun intended). And finally, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are rules set in place to keep teams from claiming players off the waiver wire and then cutting them. Don't they have to be on the active roster for at least 3 weeks?

I don't believe so or we'd still have Neiko Thorpe who was claimed off waivers.     Ultimately I don't believe we'll keep 5 at the safety position.  I haven't seen a season where we have retained 5 safeties.  Whether they get rid of Guy or Farley it doesn't matter to me.  I've been trying to see why we've kept Guy this long the whole time. They always seem to have some type of hesitation about letting him start at safety when we get injuries.  They always have somebody else do it, while allowing him to just play special teams.   I could see him getting let go for Farley based on Farleys' skill set.  Plus they say he's tough and Pagano has been looking for tough.  Winston Guy is not tough!   You've made some valid points in your argument.

19 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

I think I've seen you mention Farley being cut about 10 times now. I don't think that's going to happen for a few reasons. Firstly, Farley is apparently a ST stud. Secondly, he's not just a safety. I've read that's he's a very capable nickel back as well (which we need!). Thirdly, if any safety is getting cut it's likely to be Guy. He's just a "guy" (pun intended). And, finally, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are rules set in place to keep teams from claiming players off the waiver wire and then cutting them. Don't they have to be on the active roster for at least 3 weeks?

I think that rule is for people claimed off practice squads I do believe.  Could be wrong.

26 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't believe so or we'd still have Neiko Thorpe who was claimed off waivers.     Ultimately I don't believe we'll keep 5 at the safety position.  I haven't seen a season where we have retained 5 safeties.  Whether they get rid of Guy or Farley it doesn't matter to me.  I've been trying to see why we've kept Guy this long the whole time. They always seem to have some type of hesitation about letting him start at safety when we get injuries.  They always have somebody else do it, while allowing him to just play special teams.   I could see him getting let go for Farley based on Farleys' skill set.  Plus they say he's tough and Pagano has been looking for tough.  Winston Guy is not tough!   You've made some valid points in your argument.

Like I said, Farley is listed as a safety but he's supposedly a solid nickel back. Which could explain why the Colts feel comfortable even though the CB depth looks weak. Also, Farley was good enough where he was a tough cut in a deep Cardinals secondary. Meanwhile, Winston Guy, as well as most of our CBs, would have had a hard time making their 75. i just don't think he's the clear cut #53, at the moment. I think he's a guy they want to take a look.

6 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Like I said, Farley is listed as a safety but he's supposedly a solid nickel back. Which could explain why the Colts feel comfortable even though the CB depth looks weak. Also, Farley was good enough where he was a tough cut in a deep Cardinals secondary. Meanwhile, Winston Guy, as well as most of our CBs, would have had a hard time making their 75. i just don't think he's the clear cut #53, at the moment. I think he's a guy they want to take a look.

We'll see, but we've cut down almost every area where we've had excess players.  From tight end, quarterback, cornerback and brought in different players at another position of lack or just to improve the talent at that current position.   Farleys spot is the only one left where there is excess.   Also have to keep in mind Art Jones will be returning to the roster in 4 weeks.  I believe some room is going to have to be made when that happens also.  Irsay still has Josh Ferguson coming out of his mouth so I don't think we'll cut Ferguson.  Might be Farley or Guy..