Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Feel Like Chuck Should be More Critical on the Run Offense...

camcolts2621

Two things.....

One:   It's only the first pre-season game.

Two:   What Chuck says publicly and what Chuck says privately are always two different things.

Our problems were never going to get fixed this quickly anyway.........

A little patience please.......

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Two things.....

One:   It's only the first pre-season game.

Two:   What Chuck says publicly and what Chuck says privately are always two different things.

Our problems were never going to get fixed this quickly anyway.........

A little patience please.......

Advice taken...

I'm just dwelling on past seasons...

And I am being impatient, plus we are notoriously bad in the preseason...

(Facepalm) towards myself

48 minutes ago, camcolts2621 said:

Advice taken...

I'm just dwelling on past seasons...

And I am being impatient, plus we are notoriously bad in the preseason...

(Facepalm) towards myself

No worries.      Believe me,  I feel your pain.

I arrived in 2012,  with Luck.    And while the team has done far better than I thought it would,  Luck has not performed as well as I think he's capable of.      I think he can be MUCH better than he's shown so far.

So,   I have to work on my patience too.

We've screwed up enough draft picks and free agent signings that we're behind schedule where I think we should be by now.      I'm modestly hopeful we'll win the AFC South this year,  but it won't be easy,  and I don't know how we'll do in a playoff game.     I think this will be the team's most difficult year out of the last 5 seasons.

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I arrived in 2012,  with Luck.    And while the team has done far better than I thought it would,  Luck has not performed as well as I think he's capable of.      I think he can be MUCH better than he's shown so far.

We've screwed up enough draft picks and free agent signings that we're behind schedule where I think we should be by now.      I'm modestly hopeful we'll win the AFC South this year,  but it won't be easy,  and I don't know how we'll do in a playoff game.     I think this will be the team's most difficult year out of the last 5 seasons.

lI understand everthing you are trying to say, I have been a fan in So Cal where no one appreciates me... It upsets me but I learned to live with it... IDK why I decided to mention this aspect of my story but I just want people to know... lo

26 minutes ago, CroatianColtsFan21 said:

Well, that's a first.. Most people can't stand his extreme coach-speak and clichés.. 

Chuck pretty does and says the same thing 90% of all head coaches do with the media. Talk a lot and say nothing. He is not the type of coach who is going to berate his players or anyone for that matter. As far as your comment about most people can't stand him, you are exaggerating quite a bit.  

There's this thing called a new scheme we are implementing, and another thing called "continuity" that has to be built up by this group executing the new scheme.  You don't come into the first preseason game blocking like the 90s Cowboys.  Especially the first preseason game where your starters play roughly 1 quarter or less while running maybe 3 to 5 running plays during that quarter mostly out of Shotgun formation.  Players have to get back used to playing and making decisions at game speed along with all the things that you do during the course of a live game.  All these guys have been doing is practicing over and over again against the same people for the whole offseason and weeks of Training Camp.   Like NCF said let's have some patience please!

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I would disagree with this upcoming season being the worst of the 5 seasons. If it is worse or equivalent to last year, this board and it's fan base in general will melt down. I see some early rough starts with hopeful grit them out wins and getting better over the course of the year. Unless Luck has a second bad year (like he started off last year) this team takes the division. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Chuck pretty does and says the same thing 90% of all head coaches do with the media. Talk a lot and say nothing. He is not the type of coach who is going to berate his players or anyone for that matter. As far as your comment about most people can't stand him, you are exaggerating quite a bit.  

Oh, he sure talks a lot like most coaches, but he goes beyond with his grits, wood chopping, bowling balls and butcher knives..

As far as my original comment goes, i didn't say most people can't stand him, but his media conferences. 

Slight difference, but just to make it clear and on-topic.

7 hours ago, camcolts2621 said:

Just in general... I've always been a huge fan of his post game conferences, but I feel like he could criticize us a bit more.

well, bottom line...you're going to have to get over it, and so is everyone else that has a problem with chuck's press conferences.  It should be more than obvious by now that his press conferences are always going to be 99% positive coach speak.  Anything critical is going to be said directly to the players behind closed doors, which is the way it should be.

Besides, let's think about this.  Let's say that Chuck changes his ways and starts being more and more critical of the players during press conferences.  What good does that do?  How does that help the team at all?  The only people that would be helped by such a change are the ones who need instant and obvious gratification.  I'm 100% positive that what needs to be said actually does get said behind closed doors.  And that's where it should stay.

44 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I would disagree with this upcoming season being the worst of the 5 seasons. If it is worse or equivalent to last year, this board and it's fan base in general will melt down. I see some early rough starts with hopeful grit them out wins and getting better over the course of the year. Unless Luck has a second bad year (like he started off last year) this team takes the division. 

I hope you're right.....

But I think the schedule is MUCH tougher this year than the first four seasons,   and I'm just not sure of the team around Luck.

What makes me feel good about the team is that I think our new coaches are very, very good hires.

I think we're going win some games this year like we did in 2012.....    with good game day coaching, just as Arians was a very good game day coach back in 2012 for us.

42 minutes ago, CroatianColtsFan21 said:

Oh, he sure talks a lot like most coaches, but he goes beyond with his grits, wood chopping, bowling balls and butcher knives..

As far as my original comment goes, i didn't say most people can't stand him, but his media conferences. 

Slight difference, but just to make it clear and on-topic.

I was fortunate enough to meet Chuck and Chud while we taped the endorsements for the Army Virtual Trainer (that the Colts still use).  He's the same guy in a small personal setting as he is when doing the press conferences.  I can't speak for what he's like behind closed doors with the players, but both he and Chud were super nice down to earth guys.

During the taping, we could tell he's a perfectionist by the way he really wanted to get his lines down right.  Obviously, his personality doesn't mean he's a good coach.  But I think we can all agree that the players love playing for him, and that's got to be 90% of the job.

http://www.goarmyedge.com/

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope you're right.....

But I think the schedule is MUCH tougher this year than the first four seasons,   and I'm just not sure of the team around Luck.

What makes me feel good about the team is that I think our new coaches are very, very good hires.

I think we're going win some games this year like we did in 2012.....    with good game day coaching, just as Arians was a very good game day coach back in 2012 for us.

I too like the coaches we've put together. I am hopeful for better in game adjustments when the game plan isn't working. Pep was too predictable in his play calls and the formations were too basic and pretty much said what we were going to be doing. I called a lot from the tv and I'm not a football scheme guy but knew what we've done in the pat out of looks. Let's hope we improve that. If we do, we will be so much better  

43 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The Colts won that game on Saturday night, right? Because after reading some of the comments since then (some here, some on social media), you'd think we lost 50-0.

The guys who won the game will be bagging groceries after Labor Day.  

Now it is only one game in the preseason where the key players only were in for a limited time but those guys were clearly outplayed.   

14 hours ago, camcolts2621 said:

Just in general... I've always been a huge fan of his post game conferences, but I feel like he could criticize us a bit more.

I used to feel the same way you do.  I felt Pagano was too nice/soft with the players.  But then one of the players said in an interview (I think it was McAfee?) that Pagano is very different behind the scenes.  He gives the media coach-speak and doesn't say anything bad against his players to the media, but he is critical of them when he needs to be away from the cameras.  That's the perfect approach, in my opinion.  Don't give the media any ammo to create any trouble and don't publicly throw anyone under the bus, but criticize your players in the film room or field or whatever the case.

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I was fortunate enough to meet Chuck and Chud while we taped the endorsements for the Army Virtual Trainer (that the Colts still use).  He's the same guy in a small personal setting as he is when doing the press conferences.  I can't speak for what he's like behind closed doors with the players, but both he and Chud were super nice down to earth guys.

During the taping, we could tell he's a perfectionist by the way he really wanted to get his lines down right.  Obviously, his personality doesn't mean he's a good coach.  But I think we can all agree that the players love playing for him, and that's got to be 90% of the job.

http://www.goarmyedge.com/

That's like 0% of,the job.  Most of the 90's cowboys hated playing for Jimmy Johnson and loved playing for Barry Switzer.

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The Colts won that game on Saturday night, right? Because after reading some of the comments since then (some here, some on social media), you'd think we lost 50-0.

To me preseason is about winning the first quarter, the rest is just player evaluation!

I don't like coaches that throw their players under the bus, though I must admit, it would make me feel better is he reflected the same frustrations I might.  Now, if he wasn't cracking the whip behind the scenes and was using the same type of coach speak, that would be a problem IMO. 

Under Pagano, how many games have we had a RB get over 100 yards? 1 maybe 2. Whatever the number is, it's embarrassing. Chuck is just too nice of a guy to rip his team. He should challenge his Line to block for a RB, especially if we are playing a weak defense vs the run. See the disgrace that was Indy vs NO last year:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400791520

NO finished 31st against the run out of 32 teams. By any objective measure, NO was a terrible defense against the run. Colts rushed for 75 yards, and 27 was from Andrew Luck. Sorry, but the team should have been called out for letting NO push us around on our home field. If I recall, Pagano did the opposite, and said he was proud of how we fought back. This just makes Pagano lose credibility, allowing your team to get stuffed by a bad defensive team, and not challenging your team. Unacceptable to not rush for at least 125 yards agains the bottom tiered rush defenses.

17 hours ago, CroatianColtsFan21 said:

Well, that's a first.. Most people can't stand his extreme coach-speak and clichés.. 

Grigson is more gifted in double speak & cliches than Pagano is. 

I know; I know. It is what it is & neither our GM or HC are gonna alter this pattern anytime soon. 

I've learned to expect nothing earth shattering out of press conferences or post game commentary. That way, I can't be disappointed if I already set my NFL feedback bar extremely low. I get it. Excitement & embellishment is par for the course after a nail bitter victory even in a meaningless preseason game. 

Chuck Pagano on improving the run game from the preseason opener:

"Run game (I'm) obviously disappointed. We've got to do a much better job with that."

I dunno it doesn't sound like he's exactly happy about how the run game went... 

Exactly how angry do you expect him to be?  I'd rather have this then our coach ranting about it and publicly throwing a player under the bus on national TV. That doesn't solve anything. 

16 hours ago, Moe said:

To me preseason is about winning the first quarter, the rest is just player evaluation!

How can the 1st quarter be the judge when there are starters who were not in the game?  IMO the whole game is player evaluations. Even if you took the 1st quarter how do you judge when the play calls are vanilla? The offense is going to keep things simple and not show their full arsenal of plays in pre season. The plays are called with the attempt to put the bubble players in game time situations, not score points.

Here are the things that don't matter in the preason:

- The final score

- The score at half time

- The score at any point in the game

- Offensive stats

- Defensive stats

- Individual stats

The coaches are looking to see if the players are able to implement what they are being taught.   Things like:

- Does the QB make the right reads

- Does the RB run to the correct hole, does he take the hand off properly, does he block properly, does he pick up the right person when blocking.

For olineman, do they block the correct person, do they use the correct technique when blocking, do they handle the adjustments, do they keep their elbows in when blocking

For CBs did they flip their hips at the proper time, did they plant the correct foot, were they in the proper position.

There are hundreds of things the coaches evaluate in training camp and the preseason.  Stats and final score is not one of them.

16 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Grigson is more gifted in double speak & cliches than Pagano is. 

I know; I know. It is what it is & neither our GM or HC are gonna alter this pattern anytime soon. 

I've learned to expect nothing earth shattering out of press conferences or post game commentary. That way, I can't be disappointed if I already set my NFL feedback bar extremely low. I get it. Excitement & embellishment is par for the course after a nail bitter victory even in a meaningless preseason game. 

I disagree, I learn a lot from Grigson's conferences and interviews, especially those on 1070. He's always been transparent with his opinions.

4 minutes ago, myic90 said:

I disagree, I learn a lot from Grigson's conferences and interviews, especially those on 1070. He's always been transparent with his opinions.

Unless you think he's a liar...

Like you, I believe Grigson's comments can be taken at face value. He seems very upfront to me. Not exactly giving away state secrets, but he doesn't seem duplicitous at all. 

4 minutes ago, myic90 said:

I agree with you.  Grigson actually is one of the more straightforward front office execs.