Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano Says Josh Ferguson Looks "Really Good"

krunk

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Pagano is more right than wrong.  Virtually every single player trying to make it in the NFL is good.  Better than the average college player who is also good.  Fans who say an NFL player is awful or garbage are way off base.

2 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Actually Pagano is more right than wrong.  Virtually every single player trying to make it in the NFL is good.  Better than the average college player who is also good.  Fans who say an NFL player is awful or garbage are way off base.

This is very true. You compare the amount of players who make the NFL compared to the amount of college players that try to make the NFL and it is astronomical numbers.

17 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

There's a big difference between being good in college and good on the NFL. The NFL is much more of a mental game where as in college football its much more centered around the most physically gifted team wins more often than it doesn't. That's why you see so many players bust out....particularly QB's, They have the arm strength or foot speed or agility. When they get to the NFL  those players face talent physically equal to them or better (on average of course...not always the case) plus plenty of those players in the NFL are much better fundamentally

59 minutes ago, Archangel said:

need to spend more time talking about the player then what chuck says.  for one i do not live in Indiana so I follow the the forum to catch up on players progression during the off season and minicamp, 

I can understand that but Chuck is only talking to the media because he has to. He pretty much answers what is ask of him by the media and even then it he is not going to get to into much detail about anything. Most head coaches wouldn't even talk to the media if it wasn't required. He tries to be as upbeat as a head coach can be staying on the positive side. You are pretty much stuck with having to watch the pre season games and finding out about players on your own. Scan Colts.com to pick up what the local media guys have to say. Till pre season starts we are all left to bits and pieces of information that really don't tell us anything.

"Hey Chuck, what do you think of this broom?"

"Really excited about it. It's got all the bristles you could want. Nice sturdy handle made from the wood we just finished chopping. Great length and size. Really excited to get back home and see how this baby does when bristles hit floor."

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I wish you were colts announcer instead of lamey lol.

Also pagano said in year 1 that they would build the monster.

I have always wanted to announce....any of the 3 major sports. :)  Thanks for the reply.  Funny.

On 6/10/2016 at 3:51 PM, pgt_rob said:

Pagano has said this very paragraph word for word about everybody pretty much. lol. That's cool he's excited about him. We'll see if he makes the cut later in the Summer. Good luck Ferguson.

The big is a big time fumbler. Has smaller hands. That is where the rubber will meet the road.
 Chuck is a blather-er.

On 6/10/2016 at 3:36 PM, Derakynn said:

To be fair, we have some guys that are twice my weight and can run a 40 faster than I can.

Ditto. . . to me every NFL player is a great athlete.  

I remember watching Matt Hasselbeck at TC last year and he made some quick agile move to climb into the pocket or something and I was just sort of stunned.  That man's 40 and I don't think I could have made that move when I was 20.  

All that said, coaches don't talk bad about any player at pressers.  So really questions to the coach about certain players are kind of meaningless.  Because they always end up just giving some form answer about how a guy is looking good and athletic . . . blah blah blah.  

That all could be very true of course.  But you don't know because he would say the same thing even if every time he looked at that guy he was thinking "That guy is so gone with first cuts."  

Shoot he could say that and then walk down to Grigson's office to have a meeting over who they are going to sign to replace that guy.  

It's just too meaningless to concern ourselves with. 

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:18 PM, NewColtsFan said:

That was Josh Chapman......

I know, I know.....    after a while all those fat guys begin to look alike!

Actually I think Josh Chapman was the "900lb safe" in the middle of the line lol

Josh Ferguson was identified by Frank Gore (is a guy of few words) as one of the runners he liked prior to the draft. After watching his highlight reel, I agree with Frank and Pagano. I was very excited to learn that he signed with us as a UFA. The kid can play and he will rock the NFL. Please just stay healthy!

34 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Josh Ferguson was identified by Frank Gore (is a guy of few words) as one of the runners he liked prior to the draft. After watching his highlight reel, I agree with Frank and Pagano. I was very excited to learn that he signed with us as a UFA. The kid can play and he will rock the NFL. Please just stay healthy!

He reminds me of Kerwynn Williams.  People were very excited about him until they saw him in a game against NFL players.  They're very similar in size and speed.

Instead of watching his highlight reel (every starting RB in college looks like Edge on theirs), watch his snaps in the Shrine game.  He showed some quickness, and even threw a block.  But to me it looked like there was a good reason he wasn't drafted.  A little better than average college RB.  Every NFL team has three of them.

But hey, he could be the next Marshall Faulk.  What do I know.

37 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He reminds me of Kerwynn Williams.  People were very excited about him until they saw him in a game against NFL players.  They're very similar in size and speed.

Instead of watching his highlight reel (every starting RB in college looks like Edge on theirs), watch his snaps in the Shrine game.  He showed some quickness, and even threw a block.  But to me it looked like there was a good reason he wasn't drafted.  A little better than average college RB.  Every NFL team has three of them.

But hey, he could be the next Marshall Faulk.  What do I know.

I don't like highlight reels just for that reason, that is why I like when I can find an entire game to watch.

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't like highlight reels just for that reason, that is why I like when I can find an entire game to watch.

Yes.  If I'm not familiar with a guy, like when we drafted Williams, I try to see how they did against their best opponents.  Williams did not do well against the better teams. 

Ferguson had one decent run and reception against OSU.  That was encouraging, that's about as close to a pro team as he got to in college.  He played a great game against a decent NC team. 

I don't think he scored a rushing TD in his last 7 or 8 games.  Not that Illinois was a powerhouse scoring team, but you'd think they'd go to him in when in the red zone if he was so elusive.

Again, I really hope he pans out.  But I'm not buying into the hype until I see him against NFL competition.

I look at a little bit of both.  Just using a highlight film alone will tell you almost without a doubt that Ferguson can catch the ball at a minimum.  You don't need to watch tons of game film to determine that.  His highlight film clearly demonstrates his agility.  I don't think you need tons of game film for that.  I don't think highlight films are completely worthless. There's information you can pick up certainly, however it doesn't end there. You do need the actual game film to put the rest of the puzzle together however.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 1:17 PM, krunk said:

I look at a little bit of both.  Just using a highlight film alone will tell you almost without a doubt that Ferguson can catch the ball at a minimum.  You don't need to watch tons of game film to determine that.  His highlight film clearly demonstrates his agility.  I don't think you need tons of game film for that.  I don't think highlight films are completely worthless. There's information you can pick up certainly, however it doesn't end there. You do need the actual game film to put the rest of the puzzle together however.

Actually the biggest difference in watching games and highlights is this in my opinion: Your right that you can tell he has the ability to do a little bit of everything by watching highlights, shows ability to have vision to find the hole, can catch, can make people miss, can break tackles, secures the ball well. You can find all that in a good highlight tape......What you cant find out however just by watching a few highlights is can he do it consistently multiple times per game

To be honest after skimming over some of this Trey Wililams film I have to say this kid has some get up and go too.  He and Todman are going to give Ferguson a real good run for it I'll say that.  Williams ain't bad.  He's a straight up jitterbug who is fast as all get out and can cut on a dime. Exciting to watch play!

At first I was a little so so on the stable of backs that we have, but now I actually kind of like this group of guys we have in place.  There's a little bit of everything there.  You've got power and a little finess with Turbin and Varga.  You've got that jitterbug speed and quickness with Ferguson, Williams, and Todman.  And of course you've got the old, wise and crafty vet with Frank Gore.  Not bad at all!

14 hours ago, krunk said:

At first I was a little so so on the stable of backs that we have, but now I actually kind of like this group of guys we have in place.  There's a little bit of everything there.  You've got power and a little finess with Turbin and Varga.  You've got that jitterbug speed and quickness with Ferguson, Williams, and Todman.  And of course you've got the old, wise and crafty vet with Frank Gore.  Not bad at all!

The RB spot is going to be exciting to watch play out this TC and pre season. Hopefully we have enough talent level across the board to use each to their strengths when the time comes. Having fresh RBs in the 2nd. half can make a big difference in utilizing ball control. I would think their abilities to block and catch passes out of the backfield will be the determining factors in who makes the roster. Good problem to have IMO.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The RB spot is going to be exciting to watch play out this TC and pre season. Hopefully we have enough talent level across the board to use each to their strengths when the time comes. Having fresh RBs in the 2nd. half can make a big difference in utilizing ball control. I would think their abilities to block and catch passes out of the backfield will be the determining factors in who makes the roster. Good problem to have IMO.

I hope we keep 4 backs when its all said and done. My gut says we wont keep Varga as much as I now like him. I think that 4 month concussion is going to factor into it. It will probably end up Gore, Turbin, Ferguson and hopefully Trey Williams. I really like this kid! He's got some get up and go that is very Sproles like. I was kind of puzzled why Grigson did not take a look at Tyler Ervin, but now I know why. We had a similar type of back on the roster and I didn't even know it. I just popped in the film and I must confess the kid caught me eye. I had heard Bob Lamey speak with excitement about him and I thought he could not be serious. Thought he was just another non impact reserve we just picked up at the end of the year for competition purposes only. Wasn't real familiar with the kid to be honest. Now that I am familiar I think his skill set is perfect for this scheme. That kid can cut on a little piece of a dime and he plays much faster than 4.47 to me. It's going to be interesting.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Didn't he say this about Josh Robinson last year? 

His last comments were "The Rubber Meets The Road when we go live".  He spoke of Ferguson the way he should. Gave some praise, but also cited that everything must be proven when the pads get put on.  I have nothing wrong with his comments.  Even in the case of Robinson everyone was happy with his performance the entire preseason and all throughout camp.  Its not his fault Robinson didn't live up to his billing when the bright lights came on the big stage.  That's Robinsons fault

Slightly off topic but an interesting piece I found about Turbin (older article):

http://cover32.com/2015/07/10/could-seahawks-running-back-robert-turbin-start-for-another-team/

"No running back in the league was more efficient than 'Turbo' when it came to not being stopped for runs of two yards or less."

I like that he's a guy that's not afraid to go between the tackles.  And I like that he doesn't get Trent Richardsoned back past the line of scrimmage into the backfield. 

4 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Slightly off topic but an interesting piece I found about Turbin (older article):

http://cover32.com/2015/07/10/could-seahawks-running-back-robert-turbin-start-for-another-team/

"No running back in the league was more efficient than 'Turbo' when it came to not being stopped for runs of two yards or less."

I like that he's a guy that's not afraid to go between the tackles.  And I like that he doesn't get Trent Richardsoned back past the line of scrimmage into the backfield. 

Turbin can move for a big guy. Didn't realize he ran 4.4. Usually the big guys we've gotten on this team run 4.7 like Zirlon Tipton.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Turbin can move for a big guy. Didn't realize he ran 4.4. Usually the big guys we've gotten on this team run 4.7 like Zirlon Tipton.

I like his size and speed.  I just hope he's back to the Seattle form.  He was injured most of the time he was with the Browns but seemed to bounce back pretty well last year.  He was running behind a decent line in Dallas and did fairly well.

He's supposed to be a good blocker and has decent hands.  Should be a good backup.  If Ferguson is the change of pace back competing with Williams, it looks like Turbin and Varga will compete for the pounding type of RB.  Will we carry 4? 

50 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I like his size and speed.  I just hope he's back to the Seattle form.  He was injured most of the time he was with the Browns but seemed to bounce back pretty well last year.  He was running behind a decent line in Dallas and did fairly well.

He's supposed to be a good blocker and has decent hands.  Should be a good backup.  If Ferguson is the change of pace back competing with Williams, it looks like Turbin and Varga will compete for the pounding type of RB.  Will we carry 4? 

I think we usually carry 3, but I could see us going with 4. I don't see us keeping 2 power backs in addition with having Gore. If we kept 4 I think we'd go Gore, Turbin, Ferguson and Trey Williams.  I like Varga a lot, but my initial feelings are they'll let him go because of the potential concussion issues.  He was gone so early last year there is still a spot for him on the P.S. I believe.  Who knows though because there's certainly a chance if Varga makes it through the Preseason concussion free that he'd stick on the 53 and they let Williams go.  I'm excited to see what happens!

On June 18, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Jason_S said:

Maybe coach Chuck should worry more about coaching and less on flirting with the players.

The best part of reading this, outside of the humor, has to be that I heard it in my head as if Roger were saying it! Great stuff :)

14 hours ago, krunk said:

did you actually watch anything with your own eyes?

Look at my post it reads as follows, "I read......" and as far as watching any college player it means nothing as to how they will perform in the pros. I thought all Colts fans knew that after watching the Alabama flub the Colts played a bundle for. The Colts don't appear to be capable of getting quality players in the RB position in the recent decade.

33 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Look at my post it reads as follows, "I read......" and as far as watching any college player it means nothing as to how they will perform in the pros. I thought all Colts fans knew that after watching the Alabama flub the Colts played a bundle for. The Colts don't appear to be capable of getting quality players in the RB position in the recent decade.

And writing does? Same people who wrote things about JJ Watt who look absolutely silly now. You can find commentary like that on many quality players. Doesnt mean its true or permanent. All of your pessimism is based on small bits you read. Did you even take out the time to see if its true?

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

We run a RBBC. Hes a piece in the committee. Hes not meant to be Todd Gurley or some 30 carry a game back. Nothing about his film and numbers says hes easy to stop, but its what you read so it must be true right? His best asset is his ability to catch the football out of the backfield and in the passing game a la Darren Sproles/Shane Vareen. However he is bigger than Sproles, but every bit as agile. About the same size as Vareen. Carries the football much better than Vareen. If you didn't learn anything about Chud last year, if you were watching you learned Chudzinski takes full advantage of the RB screen game. Not shy about getting the ball to a Back at all in the passing game in general. If you watch any film on Ferguson you will see immediately why they focused on getting him for that role.

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

We run a RBBC. Hes a piece in the committee. Hes not meant to be Todd Gurley or some 30 carry a game back. Nothing about his film and numbers says hes easy to stop, but its what you read so it must be true right? His best asset is his ability to catch the football out of the backfield and in the passing game a la Darren Sproles/Shane Vareen. However he is bigger than Sproles, but every bit as agile. About the same size as Vareen. Carries the football much better than Vareen.

I was excited about Williams until we got Ferguson. I just don't see a spot for Williams if Ferguson stays healthy. 

There are reports we started looking at drafting Ferguson as early as the 4th.  We jumped on him after he went undrafted signing him to one of the most lucrative contracts of any 2016 UDFA.  

Everything I am reading and seeing says we don't view him as just a 3rd down back. He may be #2 on the depth chart if things turn out how the staff seems to envision it. His ability to stay healthy may be his biggest challenge.

I'm not a huge fan of Turbin or Todmam. They are journeyman without much upside. Both have bounced around. I guess Todman offers more on ST's of the two. 

I would not be surprised to see Varga win the job as Franks backup. Varga saw some first team reps with Gore sidelined late in camp. It sounds like he's ready to go after the concusion. He has more upside than either Turbin or Todman. Health is his biggest question mark. 

Of course pads will really give us a clearer picture. I could see Gore and Ferguson being our thunder and lightening. I think that is what the staff envisions. 

If Varga can ease the concusion  worries I really don't think either Turbin or Todman can offer what Varga does. I would gladly trade Morrison in the 4th for Booker or Howard. That is another conversation