Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson: There are "character" guys that we feel better about after background checks

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Please no

I wouldn't mind Spence.  He was apparently a solid leader at Eastern Kentucky, so it suggests he's getting his priorities straight.  In addition, I think we have some good leaders in the locker room (Mike Adams, Mathis, DQ) that can help keep Spence straight.

latest rumors i read on walterfootball, spence could be a real possibility

coltsb_logo.gif Indianapolis Colts 
If Leonard Floyd is unavailable, and they feel Noah Spence is to much of a risk, I'm hearing the Indianapolis Colts are considering Kamalei Correa in Round 1. Another scenario for Correa has the New Orleans Saints trading down in the first round then selecting the Boise State junior. Last year, there was speculation the Saints were trying to trade up for Vic Beasley, a similar type of player. 

I hope they were looking at Adolphus Washington then. Not a first round guy but in the 2nd or 3rd I'd take him. His off the field incident is very minor and blown out of proportion IMO. That guy would be a beast on the interior D-Line next to Anderson. He was really good at the Senior Bowl.

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Please be the dude who fell out of the window!!

I haven't seen us show an ounce of interest in him, but you never know.  I've seen Donte Moncrief tweet about him as a "beast" so I'm sure they've gotten some good incite from Crief about his character since they were team mates.  This of course is along with whatever scouting they have done.  I don't know how I feel about his work ethic, but things can change I suppose. The talent is there for sure.

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Just don't want Nkemdiche.

I agree. He plays when he wants to. Reminds me of Houston's number one pick two years ago. That was the knock on him also, and I don't know if you can change someone's motor or desire. I bet Houston wishes they would have taken Mack. I am so glad they did not!

18 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I agree. He plays when he wants to. Reminds me of Houston's number one pick two years ago. That was the knock on him also, and I don't know if you can change someone's motor or desire. I bet Houston wishes they would have taken Mack. I am so glad they did not!

Reminds me of what people said about Dontari Poe.

I'm definitely on the anti-Knemdiche train.  HS recruits like him rarely have good careers. It's been something like 15 years since the #1 recruit ended up a stud in the NFL. 

Edit:  just checked. AP was #1 overall in 2004. Rivals went back to 2003 and he was the only problem bowler aside from Percy Harvin if he made one somehow. None others ever came close. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I haven't seen us show an ounce of interest in him, but you never know.  I've seen Donte Moncrief tweet about him as a "beast" so I'm sure they've gotten some good incite from Crief about his character since they were team mates.  This of course is along with whatever scouting they have done.  I don't know how I feel about his work ethic, but things can change I suppose. The talent is there for sure.

Guys with the potential to be true difference makers are rare.  Considering the colts lack of difference makers on defense, I would be willing to role the dice.

7 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I wouldn't mind Spence.  He was apparently a solid leader at Eastern Kentucky, so it suggests he's getting his priorities straight.  In addition, I think we have some good leaders in the locker room (Mike Adams, Mathis, DQ) that can help keep Spence straight.

ill give you Mathis and Adams, but come on DQ beat up a pizza guy lol.

I always have preferred taking good character guys but I'm fine with it as long it's a good value pick. But don't want punks on the team like the Bengals.

39 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

I always have preferred taking good character guys but I'm fine with it as long it's a good value pick. But don't want punks on the team like the Bengals.

DQ has been a leader in the locker-room since he came to the NFL.    That's roughly 10 years ago.

He has a consistent track record of being a good guy, a good teammate.

The incident with the pizza guy is an off the field incident,  not connected in any way to what he does with the Colts.      I'm not sure why you'd try to play connect the dots on that one.....?

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

DQ has been a leader in the locker-room since he came to the NFL.    That's roughly 10 years ago.

He has a consistent track record of being a good guy, a good teammate.

The incident with the pizza guy is an off the field incident,  not connected in any way to what he does with the Colts.      I'm not sure why you'd try to play connect the dots on that one.....?

While True, and I kind of agree with you there, the issues of Nkemdiche and Spence are the same as DQ's by your litmus test here.....off field and not affecting their teams..... anymore so than them missing games/time with the team.....

Most people know I'm BIG on Spence, and I have a gut feeling if he's there at 18 he's gonna be our pick. Why? Because he's the best pass rusher in this class, and the BPA in all likelihood. He'd look good in the blue and white. I'm telling you this kid will be a double digit sack EDGE rusher.

1 hour ago, coltsfanej said:

Agree with you on all counts. Not sure what DQ was thinking when he hit the pizza guy. But before that, I believe he had a pretty solid track record 

Man if we lucked out and Spence fell to the 2nd. Well then that'd almost make the draft a win in itself. But just think if we got like Billings at 18 and turned around and Spence was there at 48. WOW. Then we could get a Guard in the 3rd. Westerman could be there. Or Garnett.

16 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

While True, and I kind of agree with you there, the issues of Nkemdiche and Spence are the same as DQ's by your litmus test here.....off field and not affecting their teams..... anymore so than them missing games/time with the team.....

Except that DQ has one incident in roughly 10 NFL years.    And it just happened recently.

Nkemdiche and Spence have more incidents and they're not even in the NFL yet.     This is not a good apples to apples comparison.

29 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

DQ is a proven pro. He's always available, he takes care of business, he hasn't been suspended, no concerns with drugs, etc. Doesn't mean he's the greatest player, but you know what you're getting with him.

The reason teams care about this stuff is that they want to know their players will be able to help them on the field. It's especially risk with a 21 or 22 year old because they are getting ready to experience a MAJOR life change. All the things that can get a player in trouble become significantly easier to get mixed up in once he gets a million dollar signing bonus -- drugs, alcohol, guns, nightlife, shady people, etc. Or you could just have a guy who isn't really excited about being a football player, as much as he is about getting some money. 

I think it's all case by case. Just because one guy who had a history messed up doesn't mean the next guy will, and just because one guy who had a history wound up being great doesn't mean the next guy will. Each situation is different, top to bottom.

3 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

I listened to his interview. The quote in OP is from the very same part of the press-conference. That(Colts won't take Spence) is definitely not what I took from it. I actually think it's more likely we take him now than before that press-conference.

4 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Most people know I'm BIG on Spence, and I have a gut feeling if he's there at 18 he's gonna be our pick. Why? Because he's the best pass rusher in this class, and the BPA in all likelihood. He'd look good in the blue and white. I'm telling you this kid will be a double digit sack EDGE rusher.

I'm with ya 449. 

To be fair it could be someone other than Spence or Nkemdiche as well. Might be some third round guy that no one sees coming.

But if it is Spence or Nkedimche, let's not assume the Colts are the only team who are okay with their character. It's not a given that they're  just going to be sitting there for the Colts to take.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Except that DQ has one incident in roughly 10 NFL years.    And it just happened recently.

Nkemdiche and Spence have more incidents and they're not even in the NFL yet.     This is not a good apples to apples comparison.

You only mentioned character issues in the context of off field issues being less of a problem..... so yes, apples to apples.  Now, I agree if you include more criteria, there is no comparison.

8 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

I love it.  The writer makes a definitive statement and then provides absolutely nothing in the way of proof other than a quote of Grigson saying they've been "burned in the past".  :loco:

btw, Luck12-to-Hilton13, please know this is not by any means directed at you, but rather the writer of that...."article". :)

28 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Are the first two words of this article typos?

I feel like "One herald" should be "Once heralded."

Am I off base?

No you're not off base.  I'm fairly confident you are correct.

2 hours ago, MSColtsFan said:

I think this is the more balanced report, as opposed to the definitive statement without backing..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/21/ryan-grigson-admits-he-may-be-risk-averse-in-this-draft/

And all that says is he's gun-shy, really.  That in a year without a lot of room for error, the safe pick may be the only choice. 

Good article. I also think his comments are unnecessarily reigniting the flames for Spence and Nkedimche. In that same statement he talked about how they had been burned by later round guys so it wouldn't be wise to risk a first on some character guys.

I have a feeling it's not who people think it is. It could just be a guy like Graham Glasgow who had issues with drinking in college.