Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most Probable Draft Pick Thoughts?

Ok, so here's my attempt to read the Colts team and where they might go on the first 2 days of the draft. Having said that, I never in 1,000,000 years saw Phillip Dorsett coming so I may just completely miss who they love. I'm curious to see who you guys are thinking are most likely.

Pick 18

Most Likely:

• Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama: The Colts have done plenty of due diligence on him and shown interest. Scheme wise, he fits a 3-4 defense as an ILB. Ragland isn't a great cover guy, which is why I would not be so thrilled with this pick, but I'll give him credit where he's due - he's a bone crusher and he seems to have a good football IQ.
  • Jack Conklin, OT/G, Michigan St.: It's no secret the Colts offensive line has been a weak link over the past several years. Here's a guy that could fit in a hybrid scheme (like we're moving to) at either guard or tackle. He is good at both run blocking and pass blocking. Conklin was a dominant college left tackle who is more athletic than he gets credit for - I'm a big fan of his game.
  • Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor: The nose tackle position could be upgraded here too. Billings is a physical freak who would make the Colts front instantly scarier. He is a fairly popular mock draft pick around here, my opinion on his value at 18 is somewhere in between the 2 aforementioned prospects.

Dark-horses:

• Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio St.: The Colts have made comments that it's really the interior of the O-line that they feel they really need to upgrade. But a right tackle is possible, especially if he's the BPA. Decker is big and he plays with a nasty mentality. I see him as kind of like a more flexible & athletic version of Rob Havenstein, who was drafted in the second round last year and starts at RT for the Rams. 
  • Noah Spence, Edge, EKU: Less due to his past off the field issues, but Spence is one of the better edge rushers in terms of talent. He was dominant at the senior bowl practices.
  • Vernon Butler, DL, LA Tech: A big man from a smallish program. Vernon Butler is a really athletic D-lineman who could probably play at multiple spots in a 3-4. Tremendous movement abilities for his size, although not necessarily the most proven prospect.
  • Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame: The knock on him is strictly medical. Why he's somewhat unlikely is this... If his medical re-check checks out well, he may be gone before 18. If his re-check checks out poorly, he's not going in round 1. But he's a talented player who if healthy, would almost certainly go in the top half of round 1. 

Pick 48

Prospects most on my radar:

• Kyler Fackrell, Edge, Utah St.
  • Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama
  • Kamalei Correa, Edge, Boise St.
  • Darian Thompson, S, Boise St.
  • Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame
  • Cody Whitehair, G/C, Kansas St.
  • Jonathan Bullard, DE, Florida
  • Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

Pick 82

Prospects most on my radar:

• Graham Glasgow, C/G, Michigan
  • Will Redmond, CB, Mississippi St.
  • Scooby Wright, LB, Arizona
  • Bronson Kaufusi, DE, BYU
    Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas
  • Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois
  • Isaac Seumalo, C/G, Oregon St.
  • Justin Simmons, S, Boston College

Your top 3 are my top 3, in the same order too. I think Ragland is the pick if he's there. Conklin keeps rising and I think teams like him more than they let on. He could easily be gone by 18. If he's not and Ragland is gone, he'll be a Colt.

Billings is a special talent who could start at NT immediately. I think he's number 3 on the want list though.

I definitely think that if Ragland is there he's the pick. They've talked about wanting cornerstone guys and leaders, and Ragland's biggest selling point is his leadership. That's the kind of thing that this staff drools over. Not my top choice, but I could live with it.

I'm really curious to see where Jaylon Smith goes ...

18 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I definitely think that if Ragland is there he's the pick. They've talked about wanting cornerstone guys and leaders, and Ragland's biggest selling point is his leadership. That's the kind of thing that this staff drools over. Not my top choice, but I could live with it.

I'm really curious to see where Jaylon Smith goes ...

Yeah I'd almost rather wait until round 2 and get Smith (I do think he will last to at least mid round 2) rather than drafting Ragland round 1. Then with the 1st rounder take either Conklin or Billings, or trade down if you can and get Butler.

Smith can be a special player in the NFL. I'm not sure you can say that about Ragland.

I know a lot of folks here really like Scooby Wright and have mocked him as high as the 3rd round. IMO he is going to be a day 3 pick. I don`t see the Borland comparisons. He kind of looks like a smaller version of A.Q. Shipley.  Totally straight line and slow as molasses. 

My dark horse for the the 1st. pick is Cody Whitehair.  He was rated the 4th best tackle in 2014 and the best in 2015.  He is projected to be a guard in the pros.  Looks like he could be a very versatile player.  PFF has him rated as the 17th best player in the entire draft.  

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if they indeed draft Ragland or Conklin. I don't like either... at least not at 18.

I don't like the value for Kelly or Whitehair at 18 either, but I honestly would be much happier with one of them than with Ragland or Conklin.

Conklin would actually be a solid pick at 18, Not #1 on my list at 18 but I'd take him at 18 without question. I think he can come in and gain an immediate starting job at RT sliding Reitz back to that 6th O Lineman off the bench. Its possible he can compete with Thornton to for the starting RG job but if Thornton plays up to his potential then Conklin starting at RG simply wont happen. His best shot to start I believe initially is RT again where he can start immediately

21 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Ok, so here's my attempt to read the Colts team and where they might go on the first 2 days of the draft. Having said that, I never in 1,000,000 years saw Phillip Dorsett coming so I may just completely miss who they love. I'm curious to see who you guys are thinking are most likely.

Pick 18

Most Likely:

• Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama: The Colts have done plenty of due diligence on him and shown interest. Scheme wise, he fits a 3-4 defense as an ILB. Ragland isn't a great cover guy, which is why I would not be so thrilled with this pick, but I'll give him credit where he's due - he's a bone crusher and he seems to have a good football IQ.
  • Jack Conklin, OT/G, Michigan St.: It's no secret the Colts offensive line has been a weak link over the past several years. Here's a guy that could fit in a hybrid scheme (like we're moving to) at either guard or tackle. He is good at both run blocking and pass blocking. Conklin was a dominant college left tackle who is more athletic than he gets credit for - I'm a big fan of his game.
  • Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor: The nose tackle position could be upgraded here too. Billings is a physical freak who would make the Colts front instantly scarier. He is a fairly popular mock draft pick around here, my opinion on his value at 18 is somewhere in between the 2 aforementioned prospects.

Dark-horses:

• Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio St.: The Colts have made comments that it's really the interior of the O-line that they feel they really need to upgrade. But a right tackle is possible, especially if he's the BPA. Decker is big and he plays with a nasty mentality. I see him as kind of like a more flexible & athletic version of Rob Havenstein, who was drafted in the second round last year and starts at RT for the Rams. 
  • Noah Spence, Edge, EKU: Less due to his past off the field issues, but Spence is one of the better edge rushers in terms of talent. He was dominant at the senior bowl practices.
  • Vernon Butler, DL, LA Tech: A big man from a smallish program. Vernon Butler is a really athletic D-lineman who could probably play at multiple spots in a 3-4. Tremendous movement abilities for his size, although not necessarily the most proven prospect.
  • Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame: The knock on him is strictly medical. Why he's somewhat unlikely is this... If his medical re-check checks out well, he may be gone before 18. If his re-check checks out poorly, he's not going in round 1. But he's a talented player who if healthy, would almost certainly go in the top half of round 1. 

Pick 48

• Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

Pick 82

heckuva post!     Very impressive....

The one name I thought I'd see in the 2nd or 3rd round,  and one of my faves,  is Christian Westerman.

Honestly, if we can't get Kelly,  I'd prefer Westerman to Martin at Center,  and I like Martin.

I'm wondering if we chose Ragland would we end up releasing Dqwell Jackson? They both make the defensive calls I believe. Much of the same function. I can't see Ragland sitting on the bench even in year one. I dont see them using Ragland in Jerrell Freemans role. I'd assume it would be Ragland and Sio Moore starting if they did. I just can't see us having Dqwell and Ragland on the field at the same time. But then again there were games we played last year with Jackson and Irving on the field at the same time. Both 2 down thumpers.

13 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm wondering if we chose Ragland would we end up releasing Dqwell Jackson? They both make the defensive calls I believe. Much of the same function. I can't see Ragland sitting on the bench even in year one. I dont see them using Ragland in Jerrell Freemans role. I'd assume it would be Ragland and Sio Moore starting if they did. I just can't see us having Dqwell and Ragland on the field at the same time. But then again there were games we played last year with Jackson and Irving on the field at the same time. Both 2 down thumpers.

Man you read my mind. My thought was that with Jackson facing a suspension and his age, that the Colts would probably draft Ragland and release Jackson in TC. They have Sio Moore who could play the other LB spot. Then you have Sylvestre and Herrera for depth and rotation. 

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Man you read my mind. My thought was that with Jackson facing a suspension and his age, that the Colts would probably draft Ragland and release Jackson in TC. They have Sio Moore who could play the other LB spot. Then you have Sylvestre and Herrera for depth and rotation. 

I could definitely see us letting go of Dqwell if the Colts decided to draft Ragland. We'd have Nate Irving, Sylvestre, Herrera and who knows what else because we've been evaluating a ton of linebackers.  Dqwell made a ton of plays last year but age is a consideration.  If you're going to let him go it makes sense to do it with a smart young guy like Ragland who has a similar skill set and better versatility.  Not that I'm panning for us to draft RR but we've paid too much attention to the guy to believe it's something out of line with reality. Oh they are definitely considering it despite the forum members who are against it.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I could definitely see us letting go of Dqwell if the Colts decided to draft Ragland. We'd have Nate Irving, Sylvestre, Herrera and who knows what else because we've been evaluating a ton of linebackers.  Dqwell made a ton of plays last year but age is a consideration.  If you're going to let him go it makes sense to do it with a smart young guy like Ragland who has a similar skill set and better versatility.  Not that I'm panning for us to draft RR but we've paid too much attention to the guy to believe it's something out of line with reality. Oh they are definitely considering it despite the forum members who are against it.

It's a safe pick that Grigson could make because he may not have the ceiling of a guy like Jaylon Smith, he's a safe pick. He's easily a plug and play downhill thumper in a 3-4, who will average 110 tackles a year for 10 years. Captain of the D who can make all the calls. He and Conklin are both safe picks who migh be in our range. It's a very sensible pick.

If we draft any ILB in any round I would hope they would be able to cover.  I'm getting tired of seeing our guys get beat and chase.  DQ is terrible in coverage and Freeman was the best we had.  I haven't seen enough of Irving or Moore.  Our 1st. pick should be a starter.  I would hope we could do better than Ragland.  ILB is not our number one need.  Interior OL is and there will be any number of highly rated players there for us to choose from.  

On April 10, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Dustin said:

If I know anything about this horrible organization, the Colts will take Ragland if he's at 18. 

I bet we reach and take Fackrell with our #18. That's how bad I believe in having a good 1st round pick.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:30 PM, Track Guy said:

Pick 18

Most Likely:

Dark-horses:

Pick 48

• Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

Pick 82

Really nobody really knows how good or how bad a player is I for one hope we trade down a few picks and get an extra second or 3rd along with the number one we get from whom ever we trade down with but that's just me I look for it to be Conklin if he isn't off the board  then which he might be.

22 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It's a safe pick that Grigson could make because he may not have the ceiling of a guy like Jaylon Smith, he's a safe pick. He's easily a plug and play downhill thumper in a 3-4, who will average 110 tackles a year for 10 years. Captain of the D who can make all the calls. He and Conklin are both safe picks who migh be in our range. It's a very sensible pick.

I meant to mention this. That Jordan Jenkins is a hell of a player. Junk yard dog tough! I did not realize they used him at DE too. I was watching tape last night. They used him and Floyd like the Texans do with Clowney and Watt sometimes. Lining both of them up on the same side to create matchup issues. I'd be thrilled to get Jenkins. My kind of player!

I still have my issues with Floyd defending the run and his overall level of strength but I will say he has some gas coming off the edge. I think he will fit fine as a pass rusher. I dont like him in the first round but if we went that route it would be interesting to see if we could add Fackrell too. I think the pass rush issues would be addressed. Between Jenkins, Floyd, and Fackrell being added to Mathis, Cole, Walden.

29 minutes ago, krunk said:

I meant to mention this. That Jordan Jenkins is a hell of a player. Junk yard dog tough! I did not realize they used him at DE too. I was watching tape last night. They used him and Floyd like the Texans do with Clowney and Watt sometimes. Lining both of them up on the same side to create matchup issues. I'd be thrilled to get Jenkins. My kind of player!

I still have my issues with Floyd defending the run and his overall level of strength but I will say he has some gas coming off the edge. I think he will fit fine as a pass rusher. I dont like him in the first round but if we went that route it would be interesting to see if we could add Fackrell too. I think the pass rush issues would be addressed. Between Jenkins, Floyd, and Fackrell being added to Mathis, Cole, Walden.

I would love Jenkins as well. He's a better version of Walden, with more upside to his pass rush.  I would love to team him up with a guy like Ragland. The Colts run D would be something else.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I would love Jenkins as well. He's a better version of Walden, with more upside to his pass rush.  I would love to team him up with a guy like Ragland. The Colts run D would be something else.

this is one reason I'm not against Ragland....you can scheme against any "coverage" deficiencies, though he's not horrible, but the one thing you can't teach is leadership and instincts, which is something he has in spades.

Granted he's not my first choice...it would be either Billings or Kelly. But I'd have no issues with Ragland.

54 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I just hope Grigson doesn't draft Will Fuller.  He has a really big love of fast receivers.  

I'm thinking Ragland is the likely pick.  

True that I just hope Grigs doesn't get as obsessed as the raiders were with speedy players

2 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

this is one reason I'm not against Ragland....you can scheme against any "coverage" deficiencies, though he's not horrible, but the one thing you can't teach is leadership and instincts, which is something he has in spades.

Granted he's not my first choice...it would be either Billings or Kelly. But I'd have no issues with Ragland.

Yeah. You can't just dismiss an elite run defender and leader because he isn't the best in coverage.

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

I'm finding it interesting that some of the analysts are starting to rank Ryan Kelly worthy of our 1st.  I think it was recently Kiper who had him #17, and maybe Rotoworld's Norris who had him #18...

I think once Kiper said he'd be a good fit for the Colts, it got the ball rolling.