Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerrell Freeman is Chicago bound

Blackhawk4

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I really doubt it. Grigson gave Garcon 5 years $35 mil. but Garcon wanted to play with RG3, good for him, how'd that work out?? :)

Based on that history, I firmly believe Grigson would have offered what he felt was market value. Like I said above, it could be a repeat of the Jake Scott issue, you get the same offer from a new team, then realize your own market value in a moment of revelation, then use your last minute finagling to negotiate slightly more guaranteed money than what your previous offer was. Then accept the offer because that is in line with your pride.

Usually when a player leaves the building and enters free agency , he signs with another team. Just the way the game works. I've often read situations where it's for less than the original teams offer. I'm thinking that when the two sides can't agree on a contract , more often than not some hard feelings are fostered . 

1 hour ago, ColtRider said:

Does everyone understand what building a formidable team through draft means?

A good move by the Colts to not retain Freeman. 

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can't re-sign your own players.  You can build through the draft and re-sign players whose contracts have expired, especially when they're good players and could be apparently had for cheap.

1 hour ago, ColtRider said:

Does everyone understand what building a formidable team through draft means?

A good move by the Colts to not retain Freeman. 

Yea this doesnt exactly work when your GM is not the best at drafting formidable players, neither does it work when you have more holes than the draft can possibly fill, and as stated ^ its no reason we cant resign are best ILB for 4 mil a year. Now we can add ILB to the needs list come draft day

11 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can't re-sign your own players.  You can build through the draft and re-sign players whose contracts have expired, especially when they're good players and could be apparently had for cheap.

Understood. However, at some point you make a turn. A turn that may not be popular. Irsay states he wants to build through draft & get younger. Not retaining Freeman seems to have been part of that plan through our new blood coaching staff IMO.

2 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Understood. However, at some point you make a turn. A turn that may not be popular. Irsay states he wants to build through draft & get younger. Not retaining Freeman seems to have been part of that plan through our new blood coaching staff IMO.

Yeah but gutting the team to do it won't work either.

41 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Get younger....so we re-structure Cole to keep him, and keep DQ?  But let Freeman go?

11 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Get younger....so we re-structure Cole to keep him, and keep DQ?  But let Freeman go?

Cole, Jackson & Freeman are in no way part of building a great defense. However that shakes out over time needs to be done.

54 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah but gutting the team to do it won't work either.

Beg to differ. "Gutting" has many definitions. I'm not 100% certain of how the Colts will look after the wide sweeping coaching changes we have seen. One thing I can envision is that there will be plenty of changes. That you can just about count on.

22 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

We offered him the same deal and he left for the Bears. Doesn't sound like he wanted to be here.

I think people are missing some context here. He/his agent held out for a better deal, the colts pulled the offer and started planning around him not returning. There's nothing he can do about that. Doesn't make sense for him or his agent try and just wait and see if the Colts will change their mind and decide to give him an offer again. If the Colts moved on, Jerrell has to do the same if he wants to get paid. Saying "We offered him the same deal and he left for the Bears" misses what the situation really was. Colts offered, Freeman and his agent held out, Colts pulled offer and both sides moved on.

I was never a big fan of Freeman's, but geez. Ricky Jean Francois, a guy who had done virtually nothing, got $22 million from the Colts and they low ball Freeman, who had at least been servicable to decent. (I'm aware there's more to the story behind closed doors, but yeah)

Solid job.

9 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

From what I recall, he expressed interest in returning to Indy.  It's just really bad to see that Grigson wouldn't even pay him $4 mil a year.  Irsay says he wants to get younger.  So Grigson keeps DQ at age 32 with a cap hit over $5 mil instead of bringing back a better, younger, cheaper LB.  I don't get it

Why does this surprise so many he makes stupid moves ALL THE TIME

So Grig's offers Freeman the exact amount he can get on the open market. Freeman thinks he can get more. He turns it down and ends up in Chicago on the same deal. How is Grig's the *? He offered Freeman a fair deal. 

I don't understand all the crying about this creating another hole. Both Moore and Irving are younger and should be ready to go this year. I liked what I saw out of Slyvestre and Hererria last year. 

We need to start looking for DQ's replacement unless we think Moore and Irving are the future.

9 minutes ago, akcolt said:

So Grig's offers Freeman the exact amount he can get on the open market. Freeman thinks he can get more. He turns it down and ends up in Chicago on the same deal. How is Grig's the *? He offered Freeman a fair deal. 

I don't understand all the crying about this creating another hole. Both Moore and Irving are younger and should be ready to go this year. I liked what I saw out of Slyvestre and Hererria last year. 

We need to start looking for DQ's replacement unless we think Moore and Irving are the future.

I also read where Freeman told the Chicago press that Indy never offered him anything only to have it come out that Indy did offer him an almost identical deal prior to FA.....seems he turned down Indy's offer as it insulted him only to find out that was his actual worth and is trying to spin it? He is replaceable...

12 hours ago, Ryan Pelley said:

I was never a big fan of Freeman's, but geez. Ricky Jean Francois, a guy who had done virtually nothing, got $22 million from the Colts and they low ball Freeman, who had at least been servicable to decent. (I'm aware there's more to the story behind closed doors, but yeah)

Solid job.

when are u guys going to take the time to look for actual facts? This was Freemans decision. He was offered the exact same deal from the colts. Freeman decided this for himself.

14 hours ago, Blackhawk4 said:

I think people are missing some context here. He/his agent held out for a better deal, the colts pulled the offer and started planning around him not returning. There's nothing he can do about that. Doesn't make sense for him or his agent try and just wait and see if the Colts will change their mind and decide to give him an offer again. If the Colts moved on, Jerrell has to do the same if he wants to get paid. Saying "We offered him the same deal and he left for the Bears" misses what the situation really was. Colts offered, Freeman and his agent held out, Colts pulled offer and both sides moved on.

So that's the Colts fault that he didn't accept the deal? Time is of the essence. That's what happens in negotiations. It's called leverage.

Freeman was the best ILB we had on this team that already has a ton of holes to fill with barely any cap space to fill with.  I'm not sure why in the freaking front door did Mr Irsay resign Grigson.  Pagano I feel sorry for the guy.  He is a good coach and his GM is gonna give him below average players with high price tags for the next 4 years.  Shut the front door GRIGSON.  I despise Grigson he is a really bad GM!

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

Oh that horrible egotistical Grigson! He's such an insane non-sensical *. Looks more like this is Freemans own decision. The cry babies just see what they want to see.

I think Freeman is still upset about last year.  He wanted a long term contract then and ended up settling for a one year deal.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if he just used the Colts as a stick to measure his market value, with the intention of going to any other team that offered at least the same deal.

10 minutes ago, Iancolts said:

Freeman was the best ILB we had on this team that already has a ton of holes to fill with barely any cap space to fill with.  I'm not sure why in the freaking front door did Mr Irsay resign Grigson.  Pagano I feel sorry for the guy.  He is a good coach and his GM is gonna give him below average players with high price tags for the next 4 years.  Shut the front door GRIGSON.  I despise Grigson he is a really bad GM!

22 minutes ago, Iancolts said:

Why do you assume that Pagano was real high on Freeman? 

He joined Grigson to Alabama's pro day to evaluate Reggie Ragland.  I assume the reason Freeman wasn't resigned is because Pagano told Grigson that we have other options to replace a LB that wasn't special.

20 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

VERY big mistake here. We'll play him next year. The Bears are looking good right no.lw. They add on to Mcphee with two of the best cover ILBs in the league with Trevathan and Freeman.

They're building a good defense....if they van get help on the corners, they could get out of last place.

I liked Freemen.,..he played well for us...and the money he signed for isn't a lot..

...When a guy leaves a playoff team (which I think we are) for a non-playoff team and its not about money or going 'home', I wonder what it is about