Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerrell Freeman is Chicago bound

Blackhawk4

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.  I just saw the contract details.  3-year deal for $12M, source said. $6M guaranteed. $2M more in incentives.  I'm really disappointed he's leaving for that little money.  I believe he expressed a desire to stay in Indy, but we couldn't even offer him $4 mil a year?

1 minute ago, BlueCollarColts said:

I would be fine with a Moore/Jackson/Irving LB corps, but still disappointed to see Freeman leave for such little money. 

If we had cut Jackson and re-signed Freeman to this same deal, our LB corps would be better and we would have saved some cap space

ugh notch it in, just another brain dead grigson move, here we are all thinking Freeman didnt sign with us because we wouldnt offer him 7 or 8 mil, little did we know grigs wouldnt even offer him 4 mil, or maybe there really is a bad culture surrounding he team and he just didnt want to play here?

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

ugh notch it in, just another brain dead grigson move, here we are all thinking Freeman didnt sign with us because we wouldnt offer him 7 or 8 mil, little did we know grigs wouldnt even offer him 4 mil, or maybe there really is a bad culture surrounding he team and he just didnt want to play here?

Grigson may have offered him more, not sure. Maybe Freeman didn't want to be here and just needed a change of scenery.

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

From what I recall, he expressed interest in returning to Indy.  It's just really bad to see that Grigson wouldn't even pay him $4 mil a year.  Irsay says he wants to get younger.  So Grigson keeps DQ at age 32 with a cap hit over $5 mil instead of bringing back a better, younger, cheaper LB.  I don't get it

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

From what I recall, he expressed interest in returning to Indy.  It's just really bad to see that Grigson wouldn't even pay him $4 mil a year.  Irsay says he wants to get younger.  So Grigson keeps DQ at age 32 with a cap hit over $5 mil instead of bringing back a better, younger, cheaper LB.  I don't get it

Despites Jackson's age I think he is a Good player. Keeping him isn't a bad move IMO. Even at 32 he is still a solid player. We do need to focus on getting younger though, I agree.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Despites Jackson's age I think he is a Good player. Keeping him isn't a bad move IMO. Even at 32 he is still a solid player. We do need to focus on getting younger though, I agree.

Freeman is better, younger, and cheaper.  If we're going to keep just one of Freeman or Jackson, it's a no-brainer to keep Freeman.  A starting duo of Freeman and Moore isn't too shabby, in my opinion.  I think it would be better than Freeman and Jackson, or Jackson and whomever the coaches go with.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure. He may have. If that is the case then not sure what happened between he and Grigs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/02/jerrell-freeman-id-love-to-stay-with-colts-but-have-to-do-whats-best-for-me/

He wanted to stay in Indy and we didn't even offer him $4 mil a year.

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

Freeman is better, younger, and cheaper.  If we're going to keep just one of Freeman or Jackson, it's a no-brainer to keep Freeman.  A starting duo of Freeman and Moore isn't too shabby, in my opinion.  I think it would be better than Freeman and Jackson, or Jackson and whomever the coaches go with.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/02/jerrell-freeman-id-love-to-stay-with-colts-but-have-to-do-whats-best-for-me/

He wanted to stay in Indy and we didn't even offer him $4 mil a year.

Well that is strange. I would've gave him 4 Mill. Thanks for the Post because I wasn't sure if he wanted to be here or not.

5 minutes ago, fatboy said:

Not my money but his contract in Chicago seems reasonable.  Perhaps his ill advised holdout a year ago soured management.

He held out?  I don't recall that.  But he has played for league minimum for a few years and got tendered last year and signed it and played, so I think he definitely earned his (relatively) big contract.  He is/was a reliable member of the defense, and I liked him as a leader.  We couldn't even shell out $4 mil a year for him.  That's pretty bad

I have a feeling it could have been the same money, just like Jake Scott, but more guaranteed money from the Bears, he could have used the existing Colts offer as leverage.

I can play the scenario out. Grigson gives him $4 mil. per year for 3 years but only $4 mil. guaranteed or something like that. Freeman feels dissed, shops around and the Bears ask him to come down for a visit, he gets the same money but more guaranteed because he uses the Colts' offer. At this point, his pride won't let him come back to the Colts for less guaranteed money or re-negotiate because he already has a bitter feeling about the Colts' original offer even if it was close to the Bears money. It is what it is, he will have 3 more years before he feels dissed by the Bears' front office next. That is just how players roll in this league.

3 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

It is about where I had him gauged per year and will wait until I see the actual contract details before I agree or not?

It's in the second post of this thread.  3-year deal for $12M, source said. $6M guaranteed. $2M more in incentives

2 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

Wow!! Grigson wouldn't give one of our best players/leaders on the D for the past 4 years 4 mil a year! Horrible! Im starting to wonder if players dont really want to play for us with our egotistical GM.

I really doubt it. Grigson gave Garcon 5 years $35 mil. but Garcon wanted to play with RG3, good for him, how'd that work out?? :)

Based on that history, I firmly believe Grigson would have offered what he felt was market value. Like I said above, it could be a repeat of the Jake Scott issue, you get the same offer from a new team, then realize your own market value in a moment of revelation, then use your last minute finagling to negotiate slightly more guaranteed money than what your previous offer was. Then accept the offer because that is in line with your pride.

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

It's in the second post of this thread.  3-year deal for $12M, source said. $6M guaranteed. $2M more in incentives

I saw that but thank you for providing it :). I prefer the breakdowns that Spotrac and OverTheCap provide rather than go by a tweet? Just me and my way of looking at things ;).

So we offered him this deal BEFORE free agency but we didn't want to offer it DURING free agency?

That's the implication.       I hope that's not it.      

Honestly it feels like we'd rather have the draft pick compensation that we'll get next year rather than the player this year......

Weirdest off-season yet continues.........................         :dunno:           :scratch:

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I really doubt it. Grigson gave Garcon 5 years $35 mil. but Garcon wanted to play with RG3, good for him, how'd that work out?? :)

Based on that history, I firmly believe Grigson would have offered what he felt was market value. Like I said above, it could be a repeat of the Jake Scott issue, you get the same offer from a new team, then realize your own market value in a moment of revelation, then use your last minute finagling to negotiate slightly more guaranteed money than what your previous offer was. Then accept the offer because that is in line with your pride.

I think Garcon got over 40 mill from Washington, and it's worked out great for him.    He's caught a ton of passes for the Skins....

His team may not have done as well,   but the man got himself paid, and he's caught a lot of passes....

I don't think he has any regrets....

2 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I saw that but thank you for providing it :). I prefer the breakdowns that Spotrac and OverTheCap provide rather than go by a tweet? Just me and my way of looking at things ;).

Ah, I see.  I wasn't sure how detailed you wanted it (eg. guarantees and incentives by year, or just overall).  We'll see how Spotrac and OverTheCap break it down