Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Philbin signed as OL coach

HungarianColtsFan

2 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

I'm surprised to say the least.

Philbin was Dolphins' HC when Vontae was traded to Indy, interesting.

It will be funny when Philbin and Vontae pass each other in the hall.

Philbin
Heya Vontae. Remember me?

Vontae

Philbin
So, how's the weather?

Vontae
I gotta call my grandma...

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is simple people. Chud gets another chance to become a head coach, within the next few years, and Philbin becomes our new offensive coordinator. 

This can't be any easier to read.

Good news for us is that Philbin does not have what it takes to become a head coach, but he is a great offensive coordinator. I think the rest of the NFL understands that too. We could have him around for a long time.

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You must admit he done a good job for the Ravens with Flacco with a super bowl run. That is what got him the head coaching position.

Okay, I'll give him one month in 2012. 

In 2013, that offense was very regular (which isn't surprising, with Flacco as the QB). 

2 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Hmm is that the oline coach decision or the Oc 

It's the cal of the OC,  but someone recently found a profile of Chud and it said he prefers Zone Blocking and now we have an o-line coach whose background is zone blocking.

Nothing set in stone,  but that appears to be the direction we are moving in....

3 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

His stock went down pretty much.

And the stock will settle where it should. I believe it will eventually permanently high plateau at offensive coordinator.

I doubt that any team ever again buys him as a head coach, and if they do then they missed an easy to predict crash.

Just like Norv Turner was meant to be an offensive coordinator. Yeah sure, Philbin's 500 points a year offenses will turn some heads. But in the end, OC is the right fit for Philbin. We just get him as an OL coach for a year or two, before he becomes our OC.

17 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Let's hire a guy who had gave tannalhill the most sack in the NFL second place is luck. We are going to be number 1 in something 

Philbin doesn't have to run an entire team anymore. He only has to coach the OL. It's a completely different job.

No one is saying that Philbin is a good fit as a HC. However, his track record as an OL coach and offensive coordinator is remarkable.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's the cal of the OC,  but someone recently found a profile of Chud and it said he prefers Zone Blocking and now we have an o-line coach whose background is zone blocking.

Nothing set in stone,  but that appears to be the direction we are moving in....

Wow really which do you prefer a zone or man scheme ?

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Now lets get Donnie Henderson signed as the DBs coach!

I know you've been suggesting Donnie Henderson (Bills LB coach since 2013). He's got a very impressive resume for the last decade & beyond. I did some digging and didn't realize he's from the Herm Edwards tree. Very intriguing. He also has a ring from SB XXXV. 

Got anything else on him, krunk? 

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup. I've been assuming that Chud would prefer MBS because most Air Coryell guys do, including Norv Turner, who Chud credits as a big influence. But the Panthers ran a stretch ZBS when Chud was there, and he installed that offense fresh. That seems to be the new plan, and I'm pretty sure it's going to work out well.

I can see the assistant head coach thing with Philbin. Probably allows him to get paid more, plus it probably allows him to assist Chud if needed with the implementation of the offensive game plan. Also helping on the defensive side of the ball if needed. The role allows him to use all of his major experiences. He's coaching the Oline which he has long experience in. Plus he can extend things he learned as a head coach and help Pagano with whatever side of the Football without actually needing to be the head coach or taking head coach level blame. Coincidentally I think the role allows him to place more"head coaching" experience on his resume in case the opportunity came along.

2 minutes ago, FL Colts Fan said:

I love the hire. Chud and Philbin 2 good offensive minds. It's hard to for me to believe that he has to work with present O Line coach Joe Gilbert. Does this mean Gilbert is gone ? 

speculation was when we got an OL coach to replace Hunter, Gilbert wouldn't be long for his position. It's wait and see I suppose to see if the coachpocalypse continues.

5 hours ago, ricker182 said:

The Dolphins' line is really bad.  

IDK how they rank on PFF, but if you watched any of their games the past few seasons, Tannehill has been abused.

The head coach has ALOT of responsibilities. He is not going to sit there half the day to train the offensive line. Thats the oline coaches job. Also, it couldve had alot to do with talent in the line.

5 hours ago, ricker182 said:

The Dolphins' line is really bad.  

IDK how they rank on PFF, but if you watched any of their games the past few seasons, Tannehill has been abused.

The head coach has ALOT of responsibilities. He is not going to sit there half the day to train the offensive line. Thats the oline coaches job. Also, it couldve had alot to do with talent in the line.

1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Okay, so the questions on my mind now (since I'm clueless on the difference between MBS and ZBS) are:

1) Do we have any OL on our roster that have played a ZBS?

2) Would any of our existing OL do better because of the blocking changes (specifically Harrison/Holmes)?

Castanzo and Reitz should adapt quickly. Mewhort will probably be fine. Not sure about Holmes, but this is basically a death knell for Harrison, and Thornton may struggle. That's what I believe from my limited understanding anyways.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Proof? The dolphins line sucked.......

Anywhere he's coached as an oline coach his line has been good.  He wasn't the line coach in Miami.  Does Pagano stink as a defensive coach since the defense  hasn't been great since he's been the Colts head coach?