Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hire Ravens LB coach Ted Monachino to be DC (Merge)

RockThatBlue

Just now, scooter4910 said:

So theoretically he was successful with the Ravens, who went 5-11 this year (vs our 8-8 with Manusky). Can he develop the players we have or does he need to work with a clean slate? Is he going to have input on his defense or forced to work with what we have and what Grigson hires?

Is this where all the double double comments are coming from?

Coors_Twins.JPG

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was just wondering...since Ted has no experience as a DC, and thus as a playcaller....I wonder who calls the defense.  Does chuck do it?  Does chuck start out doing it, and then turn it over when he feels Ted is teady? Or just give it to Ted from day one?

2 minutes ago, scooter4910 said:

So theoretically he was successful with the Ravens, who went 5-11 this year (vs our 8-8 with Manusky). Can he develop the players we have or does he need to work with a clean slate? Is he going to have input on his defense or forced to work with what we have and what Grigson hires?

So coordinators and position coaches have win/loss records now? 

6 minutes ago, scooter4910 said:

Funny that the NFL is the only occupation in the world where the success of your team doesn't reflect positively or negatively on the members of said team. Then why do they call it a team?

Because it's possible that many players can have successful individual seasons even if the team didn't have a successful season

Nice, now all the Colts need are Suggs, Dumervil, Smith and Mosley 100% healthy and playing at peak performance and BAM!!!!  Er, wait..........  That won't work.

I kid...... I read his bio.  We'll see how the guy does!  Welcome to the Colts.

The guy has really worked his way up since the early 90s.  Seems like he knows his stuff.  

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Because it's possible that many players can have successful individual seasons even if the team didn't have a successful season

Key word possible....so you would be just as happy taking Jason Michael from the Titans as Bill Callahan from the Cowboys...since records don't mean anything....good luck with that.

1 minute ago, scooter4910 said:

Why is it dumb and why should I pay attention to you?

You should pay attention to the logic you're using. It's dumb!

The linebacker coach and the defensive coordinator have 2

different roles.  Why exactly are you comparing the win loss

record of a linebacker coach(Monachino) to the Colts now fired DC as if Monachino

spent any of last season in the same role?

2nd of all if you'd put thought into what you're saying you'd find there's more to the puzzle than

just wins and losses.  If it was just about wins and losses then you could take any Jo Shmo at any defensive coaches position on a 9 to12 win team and that would qualify him as a better coach than Manusky because he was only 8-8. For instance the Steelers secondary is horrible. If we took their Secondary coach and brought him over to the Colts and made him the DC does that make him better than Manusky because the 

Steelers have a better record than us?  Of course not

Will they hold a press conference tomorrow for him?  I assume so.  I would like to hear his thoughts.  He seems like a real capable hire, albeit a rookie DC, which I was initially concerned about.  But after much digging in, he certainly seems like the type of coach who could come in here and make a name for himself.... He is by no means young (49), but young enough to be here for a few years of a Super Bowl run if he's good.  I think he will dig in and learn and value this opportunity to make a name for himself at this level.  This guy could be the real deal.  (or a dud like Venturi)

14 hours ago, Jonathan24 said:

yea yea whatever.. he got more credit from already established LBs.  What linebackers did he actually help develop

Courtney Upshaw & CJ Mosely are two I can name off the top of my head... two pretty good LB's....

7 hours ago, achcolts said:

i like it and i think its smart. our dline (barring injuries) will be very solid next year. chuck will focus on secondary and monachino will focus on lb prob our weakest spot

Say goodbye to DQ, Werner, and Cole (Hopefully) Let's see what he can do with Newsome, and I bet we target a younger vet. It's exciting!

I think this is good for coaching up the LB'ers,  he may be able to get production out of our young pass rushers, whom have so far been a let down.  This could very well free up draft picks for the o-line and CB positions.  But will he be an aggressive play caller?  Will we still be a Man-to-man defense?

I think we also need another good position coach.  Give us a o-line coach that can teach guys how to run block....

11 hours ago, scooter4910 said:

The Ravens were decimated by injuries this past season, as the injuries had a negative impact on the Colts as well.  Yes, he was very successful here in Baltimore, not just last season, but in his tenure with the team. Fans here are MAD about the departure, because they saw him as the heir apparent, and the bright spot on the D coaching staff.  They are happy for him getting this opportunity, but I'm sure there's an extra sting to losing him to the Colts.

2 hours ago, SyX said:

The Ravens were decimated by injuries this past season, as the injuries had a negative impact on the Colts as well.  Yes, he was very successful here in Baltimore, not just last season, but in his tenure with the team. Fans here are MAD about the departure, because they saw him as the heir apparent, and the bright spot on the D coaching staff.  They are happy for him getting this opportunity, but I'm sure there's an extra sting to losing him to the Colts.

I like the hiring. If you go out and hire one of the available big names, chances are they will be gone the following year when other HC jobs open up.

21 hours ago, DougDew said:

Hopefully, he will be able to evaluate OLB talent in the college draft this spring...Pagano has had his problems with that.

If you remember Grigson said he hadn`t scouted Ball State`s Newsome at all, and just happened to watch some of his drills at the combine and thought he better check him out.
 Don`t you think Werner was also Grigsons choice, failure.

40 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

If you remember Grigson said he hadn`t scouted Ball State`s Newsome at all, and just happened to watch some of his drills at the combine and thought he better check him out.
 Don`t you think Werner was also Grigsons choice, failure.

It was well documented at the time that Pagano worked out Werner for the specific purpose of determining if he could play OLB in our defense.  Grigson had little to do with that evaluation.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It was well documented at the time that Pagano worked out Werner for the specific purpose of determining if he could play OLB in our defense.  Grigson had little to do with that evaluation.

If that's the case,   that isn't saying much about the GM 

7 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Say goodbye to DQ, Werner, and Cole (Hopefully) Let's see what he can do with Newsome, and I bet we target a younger vet. It's exciting!

Is DQ at the end of his contract?  I thought he has another year or 2 left.  Yeah, we need to get younger on defense, but he had 150 tackles last year.  I get that he is typically a liability in pass coverage, but he gets entirely too much hate.  There are by far worse starters on this team

4 minutes ago, Rhane19 said:

Is DQ at the end of his contract?  I thought he has another year or 2 left.  Yeah, we need to get younger on defense, but he had 150 tackles last year.  I get that he is typically a liability in pass coverage, but he gets entirely too much hate.  There are by far worse starters on this team

Leading in tackles can be a misleading stat. Shows the defense is on the field a lot.

11 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

In the interview when asked something like who on the D he liked or was looking forward to coaching or something to that effect I believe he specifically mentioned DQ, so I don't know that he is necessarily on the "to cut" shortlist.

20 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Nice, now all the Colts need are Suggs, Dumervil, Smith and Mosley 100% healthy and playing at peak performance and BAM!!!!  Er, wait..........  That won't work.

I kid...... I read his bio.  We'll see how the guy does!  Welcome to the Colts.

The guy has really worked his way up since the early 90s.  Seems like he knows his stuff.  

I think the Colts now have to draft some talented LBs in the upcoming draft. If Jaylon Smith falls to them I think they have to seriously consider taking him since he would be their ILB of the future. Other options at LB include Noah Spence, Jordan Jenkins, Carl Lawson.

5 hours ago, Rhane19 said:

You are right that there are far worse starters on the team but it's not about that...he simply plays a position where his limitations more specifically limit the ceiling that your scheme can aspire to.

Good may be good enough for another year...but I'd be in favor of signing or drafting a more athletic guy to play his spot so that we can defend the middle of the field better and not be so easily exposed in match ups with space players (think sproles).  

In other words, if you want to be great you have to get on with it at his position....and you can't do it while he occupies the spot.