Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumour: Irsay Considering Firing Grigson, Keeping Pagano, Hiring Jeff Saturday

Horseshoe

1 minute ago, ColtRider said:

Jeff Saturday will be a GM one day in this league. Mark my word.

Let's stress that bolded part, though. Jeff Saturday hasn't done any practical prep for a GM job to this point. I could see Irsay making him Mike Bluem's or Kevin Rogers' right hand man. Irsay found a role for David Thornton. He can do the same for Saturday.

But not GM.

The best GM in the business is a former TE, so why not a center?  Jeff is good at everything he does.  He was instrumental in owners/players meetings.  He was a great player.  He was a great leader.  He is good on tv.  He can be the yin to Irsay's yang. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Let's stress that bolded part, though. Jeff Saturday hasn't done any practical prep for a GM job to this point. I could see Irsay making him Mike Bluem's or Kevin Rogers' right hand man. Irsay found a role for David Thornton. He can do the same for Saturday.

But not GM.

Yep. That's exactly how I meant it. Saturday has the NFL & intelligence quotient to achieve this position "one day". 

4 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

As crazy as it sounds if the Colts FO can retain whoever has helped Grigs with contract structure & they get a really good staff of scouts, this idea may actually be a solid move...

Mike Bluem does the contracts, and I agree, he's pretty good at it.

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

But not GM.

What does Thornton do?

I like the Saturday idea, but not crazy about Pagano staying unless we write up a contract that gives us an out if he doesn't produce. Still not sold on Pagano being a good enough coach to get the team prepared to come out of the gate quick, make in game adjustments and match wits with the name coaches.

1 minute ago, presto123 said:

I like the Saturday idea, but not crazy about Pagano staying unless we write up a contract that gives us an out if he doesn't produce. Still not sold on Pagano being a good enough coach to get the team prepared to come out of the gate quick, make in game adjustments and match wits with the name coaches.

Coming out of the gate quick is more on the players that the coach. Pagano is a good motivator and this team plays hard for him.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Wasn't Grigson a former linemen? Saturday is a really really smart and savy dude. I think he could do a good job actually. No worse than hiring a "scout"

Grigson was heavily involved in the scouting and drafting department of the Eagles. Ozzie Newsome learned under Belichick in Cleveland before becoming GM in Baltimore. So everyone was involved heavily in some aspect of scouting.

The Saturday move would be a PR hit but would be continuing the GM disaster if he is GM. It would be like a non-playing captain of a Davis Cup team, that is not how NFL GMs roll.

If he considered someone like this, at least I know Irsay would be trying:

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/brian-gutekunst/17567ea1-38e4-4d60-8270-84a5095551dd

3 minutes ago, JlynRN said:

I think that would be a Great idea !!!  I always loved Jeff as a player, would love to see him come and work in the front office in some capacity.

It certainly wouldn't bother me at all to see Jeff Saturday come into the front office & contribute to his former team in some degree or form. That's how GMs worth their salt get groomed & educated in the NFL. Most work their way upward. Pretty sure Jeff might entertain that if he's okay with leaving the analyst position on the networks.

Pagano seems to have finally developed into a head coach with the help of Chud's playcalling. Things changed for the better when they FINALLY dumped Pep.

Grigson has not developed into a shrewd GM. He is still just a Head Scout occupying the GM job.  Replacing Grigson is the best move.

It's one thing to hire a GM with no experience as a GM, who still has years of experience in player acquisitions, salary cap work, and other related responsibilities that the GM is responsible for. It's a completely different thing to hire a guy with practically no experience with GM related duties. This rumor was just made up at the water cooler, perhaps the urinal.

No knock on Saturday, but he is not qualified for that yet. Maybe someday, but not in 2016.

5 minutes ago, cbear said:

Even if true (which I doubt), I would never give the GM role to someone with absolutely no experience in that field.  Maybe hire him as some type of assistant to the GM, but that's about it.

All GMs have to start somewhere. We don't have to look far to know that. Grigson rookie season was fantastic and won him GM of the year. It seems the personality of Grigson and Saturday is night and day as far as dealing with people and players.